Just off the Splendor....YUCK!

KillaFee

Thanks! I did mention to my husband how different a cruise is when you're island hopping down in the deep southern caribbean, but it might be hard to convince him after this. :eek: Maybe in a few years we will. The Breeze looks nice. I just really, REALLY didn't like the enclosed lido. I've been in enclosed Lidos before (Royal Caribbean ships always have an enclosed solarium) but never have I felt so enclosed. There's just one little pool and everyone is in loungers facing a big tv screen. I felt like I was on a ship with a bunch of zombies. Someday in the future maybe! It does look like they are trying to make their ships more tame lately. :D

lol...zombies? love it !! My son got married on the magic last year and wife and i are cruising dec 8th on magic for my birthday. Maybe another ship would've been better. Magic is nice. Thanks for your honesty.

So you didnt like the weather , people on the cruise and the enclosed lido. Carnival has nothing to do with what type of weather you had or the rude people. As far as the enlosed lido, do you mean the roof was closed because of bad weather if so thats a good thing.

I'm sorry you didn't have a good time. Everyone likes different things. We'd go bonkers on a secluded island no matter how romantic. DH would be a basket case, bored out of his mind.

I agree about the PJs but what I hate most of all are the sagging pants. If they only knew how ignorant they appear, I'd hope they wouldn't do it.

WOW 20 cruises..in 20 years. Brava !!!...I board my 63rd Monday, starting Sept, of 2006..combined with others previously..(20 years of Euro travel work prevailed).....I have over 450 days at sea on probably 20 vessels. Total of 81 cruzes. I still continue to cruze, and have 5 more booked,

Other than a fire....(Kudos to Carnival for both)..I have experienced, flooded cabin, power loss, cool lost, (2 weeks ago) H1N1wash down,

....broken windows....flooded shower.missed ports, exchanged ports, windy seas, extended days at sea, freezing cold, rain, thunder storms, lightening,hurricanes, cancelled entertainment, personal illness, missing bag, rude people, loud children, outrageous wardrobes..the list goes on......I was NOT the only passenger that "suffered"..all of these maladies....and I lived through all of it to cruze again

NOW..Sweety Pie.........what WAS your major complaint ?

Edited by luckycruzer

Well..I think you gave a lovely balanced review and the things you did not like just piled up as well as hopes for some magic time that was dampened by the degree of the poor weather, and being stuck inside with high numbers of the folks who do not care about being more polite around others...i have seen polite teenagers and college kids with these dumb low pants and long undies showing..the hot ski bumb look..LOL..if they are polite to me now in my 50's I have a giggle but if you get put down for looking nice..that is sad.

I am glad you appreciated middle America budget dining room food..and the sevice and kindness where you found it made it a good deal for your money.

I am sure you also can survive trials...but the point is you want as few as possible on vacation and I think you are ready for a more upscale smaller cruise and more quiet r and r places that can be a little nicer than 3 star..or some unique places that have some absolute privacy that add something to it..and make 3 star great...

Also later, if another absolute deal on Carnival Spirit class or beleive it or not the old Fantasy class hits when more adult than kids are on it and out of a different more quiet port and lots of spa time and the Gourmet special dinner/Steak house...and a quiet escape deck can change everything...but i know....Nice land deals are very special too...you gave a great review and are NOT a Whinner...so glad most comments were what you deserved here...Happier next vacation to you..we always change and circumstances dictate when great budget price and well run operation is wonderful and when it is not...Happy Holidays and thanks for giving a great review..some important things do sound better that many were worried about slipping..thanks so much..Sarah

Edited by sjn911

Laura, your review brought back memories and as time goes by, you will remember the good and the bad will fade. DH and I "lived" on the Splendor for 7 weeks. We did a cruise of a lifetime From LA around the Horn to NYC back in Feb/March of this year. It was a B2B2B, so many things were repeated. from shows to menus that got very boring We also saw robes everywhere, we assumed showing off their spa status. This cruise was very diverse and certain ethnic groups are ruder than others.............from Asians butting in line, to a Spanish woman sitting in my lap in the main theatre. The next night she squeezed between my husband and I. She would walk in last minute and wanted my seat. After this happened twice, not to make a scene, we moved. Now it happened to another couple. Then another woman slapped the Captain because we did not go through the Fiords at the time her TA told her. She was arrested and put off the ship.

The Splendor was contracted by Costa, the sister ship of the one that ran aground last year in the Med...Costa either changed their mind or ran out of money, so Carnival, the mother corp finished the built and now she is under Carnivals flag and one of a kind for the fleet. Ironically, we watched the Triumph disaster live from our cabin on TV.

I find it hard to believe that she did not go into dry dock after our cruise. She is in bad need of updating, and very tired and warn. The pink has to go!

Below is a link to my review................the next time you want to go to St Martin, look us up, that's our favorite Island!

RE: Carnival Splendor by

Dear :

Thanks for sharing your Carnival Splendor review with us here at Cruise Critic.

Here's a link/url to the published review for you to share with family, friends and to post on message boards: http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=217518.

I have also seen people butting in and being rude in the buffets, I try to avoid them. I also agree wearing pjs and robes in public on a ship is just tacky and makes me feel like I am in a low class place. I would like ot see Carnival say that all passengers have to wear clothing not sleepwear in the restaurants, whether it be buffet or not.

I'm on the Splendor's next sailing so read your review with interest. I'm sorry you didn't have a great time, but it still sounds like there was a fair share of positives.

With the PJs thing, I wouldn't wear them out and about myself, but I guess I don't really care what people wear - live and let live, etc. Manners is another issue though, and other recent reviewers have mentioned the carnage at the buffet as well. I don't mind if people pile their plates to the roof (again, live and let live - it's not like there won't be enough for everyone) but pushing and shoving is unacceptable. Carnival really need to work on that to put a better system in place, but in the meantime anyone cutting in front of me will be getting a pretty short shrift, let me tell you.

Can't wait - Christmas on a cruise with the two people I love most in this world. Can't imagine having a bad cruise - they things you mentioned as bad - well, we'll take them with a grain of salt....we visit the lido usually at "off" times - perhaps that makes a difference. If the decks are closed due to weather - not a problem, give me my stateroom and some alone time with hubby and I'm in heaven.

Can't wait for formal nights - we opted to do it to the 9's on this cruise at daughter's request as her bestie is coming with us - her first cruise - so, we will be enjoying our cruise through the eyes of a 'newbie' - this should add a new dimension for us - wonderful full.

I love the sea and we feel even a bad day at sea is better than work!

I'll agree with many of the other posters and say your post was pretty fair and balanced (and appreciated).

It sounds like there were six major issues that made your cruise a disappointment............

1) bad weather - could happen regardless of cruise line or ship

2) Pajama parade - could happen regardless of cruise line or ship or even a 5 star hotel. I saw two groups in PJs having breakfast during a stay at a very nice hotel (rhymes with Blitz Tarlton). Yes, it was annoying and I made a point to shake my head and sigh loudly when I walked by the groups.

3) Lousy Ports - can't blame that on Carnival. You picked the itinerary.

4) Rude people - another example of the erosion of manners in our society. People are getting SHOT during black Friday sales fighting over cheap TVs. Makes cutting in line at the buffet not as big a deal, but still disgusting. This is a problem that's certainly not limited to cruise ships.

5) Bad décor (in your opinion) - We all have different tastes in décor, but I wouldn't let it dampen my cruise experience. Might make me not sail that ship again though!

6) Bad Lido design - probably compounded by the rude people, but a valid point.

So all in all, most of your negatives are things that could (and do) happen everyday in a lot of different places besides than the Splendor. I'd say your negatives are more of an indictment on society in general than they are of any cruise line or cruise ship! :(

I hear you. We did like some things, but the overall feeling was definitely bad. Battling the insane crowds was the exact opposite of a relaxing vacation. We tried to make the best of it. We looked forward to dinner every evening, because it reminded me of what I feel cruises used to be like. However, I'd like to look forward to more than just eating and drinking.

I guess it just comes down to what I like. I like the sun. I like warmth. I like tropical music to go with my tropical drink. I like relaxation on my vacation and not to have to worry about being pushed, tugged, and run over by the masses. I like fellow passengers to be respectful of the ship and fellow passengers. :D This had none of that, sooooo....blam! Total fail on our part. ;)

You did forget a few items. The long line to get into the MDR for Dinner, that snaked up the staircase while everyone was pushing to get close to a closed door. Getting off the ship in port, same case, the long lines on staircases that you need to wait in for 30 plus minutes before they let you off while people are pushing and cramming you.

Now I have been on RCCL largest ships, and walked into each MDR without a wait. Plus the doors led into the promenade, which disbursed people while they waited. Getting off the Oasis on a port day, with a excursion. Wait (sitting down) in the ice arena while they called each group to exit based on your ticket. Yes, we had to wait for doors to open, but we were sitting down relaxed. In Labadee, the private island, got off the ship early, thought we would have to fight crowds, and we just literaly walked off the ship, with no delay.

Carnival just does not understand crowd control, and have had poorly designed ships that make it worse.

Hi,

I think your review was well written and well balanced!

We've only sailed on Spirit class ships on Carnival and we love that layout!

My only other comment is the one about wearing robes.

I wouldn't do it but there ARE very high end destination spa resorts where you are encouraged to wear the robes anywhere you like so it is not necessarily a sign of "low class" thinking.

Hopefully your next vacation will be a better experience!

As an X NYrker , I cannot imagine sailing out of NYC in winter! Brrr!

I would never sail out of NY or NE - I go on vaca to get away from these people! :D Especially in the cold! Another reason to only cruise with a balcony, if possible. You always have your own sea view and serenity. As far as MDR lines, you can always wait a little bit at the bar until they thin out. I'm glad you posted this review - did not consider the implications of cruising in less than perfect weather, even though NY is only 4 hours away by car.

I would think people that cruise out of southern ports are more considerate, if they are locals and if not, worked to get there...

I appreciate your review. The things you did not like about your cruise are the same things I do not care for about Carnival. My problem is I also hate to let go of a dollar. So I end up back at Carnival.

I chose the Pride over the Splendor this year in hopes of avoiding some of the same issues with a slightly longer drive. Although the Splendor is only slightly larger than the Pride in deck space, she carries roughly an additional 2000 passengers and crew. I find that my cruises are much more enjoyable with fewer people on the boat.

I quite enjoyed your review and appreciate the honestly. Too many people sugar coat things or tone down the negative for fear of getting flamed.

I personally don't think you have outgrown cruises, just Carnival. After my last Carnival cruise on the BREEZE earlier in the year, I said no more. Its just become too ghetto lately with the rock bottom prices and a larger and larger share of really low class obnoxious passengers. Yes other cruise lines cost more, but you get a far superior experience in return and passengers that are actually respectful and considerate. Also they won't hound you because you actually wore a dress shirt and slacks on formal night! LOL If I want to get treated like that I can go to Walmart!

Since my cruise on the BREEZE I've sailed on QUEEN ELIZABETH and ROYAL PRINCESS. Both were excellent experiences and night & day compared to Carnival in every respect. I also love Celebrity so you might want to consider them for your next cruise. Based on your last experience, I would avoid Carnival at all costs unless you really want to be turned off to cruising for eternity. It's really worth it to pay a little more for a better experience. In the end when you disembark the ship after a great vacation it will be priceless!

Edited by eroller

Good balanced review (I rarely read these things!)

It's making me rethink my vague plan

to book Splendor sometime Sept/Oct next year 2014 out of NYC :cool:

* Splendor may have a hex on her, especially after The Fire.

* Pics I've seen of her interior decor are not encouraging, either.

I definitely think Splendor has a hex on her.

starting with the fiasco trip around Cape Horn a few years ago when CCL "forgot" to remind pax that they needed visas for Brazil or they couldn't board in Miami. Why didn't CCL make sure TA's etc reminded the pax? It was the first time CCL did this route I read but yes, they did have a responsibility to remind them about the visa issue. Princess kept reminding me every time I went online for my Turkey cruise and I booked with a very knowledgable online TA. Something like 150 pax were left on the dock in Miami and since it was a 30 day cruise in January, I have to believe that they just might have been senior citizens. Please don't say it was the TA's or the pax responsibility to know this. I would not have hurt CCL one bit to send reminder emails. Especially since CCL was new to this route. I have to believe CCL dropped the ball here because good management of this cruise would have mandated reminders to all pax regardless of who they booked with and a reminder email or call to TA's as well because we all know they make mistakes too.

Then wasn't there the "Pig Flu" debacle?

The fire thing?

All of these things were close in proximity if I recall, but I will be corrected here if I am wrong, but regardless....I just don't feel warm and fuzzy about the Splendor. YMMV and I am sure there are many many satisfied cruisers from the Splendor but when I had a choice out of NYC this year I choose NCL which was slightly more expensive and one day shorter than the Splendor.

mostly so we didn't have to be seated with strangers AND

because they have numerous live music bands playing all over the ship!!!!!

Edited by maggie cruises

Your review was very honest. Please don't take this as flaming. Just my opinion.

I wouldn't have sailed out of New York this time of year. The weather is so iffy at best, going along the east coast. I am, like you, I love the sun. Having bad weather would ruin my cruise. Think about how many other people felt the same. Cooped up inside, theres no where for all of them to go. But to the lido, buffet and all the indoor venues. I think thats why it seemed so crowded.

The pajama thing is just tacky.

As being one of those supposed rude NYer's as some have stated. I'm sorry your cruise was disappointing.

After my last Carnival cruise on the BREEZE earlier in the year, I said no more.

Hi Ernie,

First of all, thanks for all the pics on FB of your QE and RP cruises....looks like it was a great time. Next, did you write a review of your BREEZE trip? I can't seem to find it on CC.

Hope all is well (from the pics it looks like it is!)

-Russ

Hi carnival gets more ghetto by the day. The low, low price opens up the market to people who could have never cruised years ago. While that may be good for the bottom line, it ruins the experience for those who can remember how nice cruising used to be. Just my opinion, yourmileage May vary.

Im Sorry,

Im normally a nice person on here and everywhere I go. But that comment was just plain RUDE! You need to check yourself and not act like your better than others! Ive seen all walks of life, ive been Up and I've been down on luck. No matter EVERYONE should be able to go on a cruise when they want and can afford to do so. Not everyone was born with a silver spoon in their mouths. Just saying! :mad:

I would never sail out of NY or NE - I go on vaca to get away from these people! :D Especially in the cold! Another reason to only cruise with a balcony, if possible. You always have your own sea view and serenity. As far as MDR lines, you can always wait a little bit at the bar until they thin out. I'm glad you posted this review - did not consider the implications of cruising in less than perfect weather, even though NY is only 4 hours away by car.

I would think people that cruise out of southern ports are more considerate, if they are locals and if not, worked to get there...

I have to say I found your comment regarding "these people" very offensive. I am from the NY area and have found rude people from all areas not just the NY, NE area. In fact the nicest cruises I've been on have been out of the NY, NJ ports. Please refrain from making generalizations regarding people.

Thanks for writing up the Splendor & we read the other comments - I agreed about the layouts & design of the Lido deck & buffet and IMO - it lead to those perceived problems.

Look at it from a different angle, imagine seeing a single, long, continuous & barely moving buffet line, and all you wanted is to see if they are serving soup - and grab a bowl & run back to join the rest of your party, or, something from the carving stations. The temptation is to just "cut" in line while others are making their way to check out all 29 items up & down the serving station. "They" don't speak our language nor do "we" understand theirs - and someone not being "educated" or "well-mannered" - manner of certain folks & countries aren't known for behaving their best on the go, so - yeah, valid to get pissed off, I guess.

The PJ crowd, I am purely speculating might from those "spa" cabins nearby & feel it's perfectly fine to run around with their "robes" or whatever. It's no worst than dancing & running around with swimwear at breakfast & lunch, IMO - especially when "some" of them really should & need to cover their "excessive" up, LOL.

Subjectively speaking for ourselves, we didn't had lots of love for the buffet & the "crazy" layout/design & "human traffic" flow thru - so we avoid it most of the time & dine mostly in the MDR (except for the "secretive" place for chicken on deck 10 AFT) & the nieces did their quick pizza only runs during off-peak hours. Otherwise, we didn't notice any PJ problem "downstairs" in the Gold Pearl at breakfast or lunch at all - and unlikely they would be permitted inside for dinner.

I supposed it would be interesting for CC'ers to read some of the trip reports & reviews over at Flyertalk (FT) on flying domestic in a tiny tin can across the country on a 737 jets with beverage services only & paid cold meal boxes via credit/debit cards only - with a 31" seat pitch that barely recline, let alone that the inside cabin's bathroom is bigger than those of the First Class cabin up front as offered legacy carriers like United, American & Delta these days.

All of these are part of joys & experience of travel - you get to open your eyes & see how others live & play - 180 sq. ft. is tiny by "our" standards but it is considered spacious and not even a micro apartment, with clever design & being fully functional. I read about the pink deco before our sailing and while not crazy about it, we "survived" our 8 nights on her and I'm sure that, if CCL could, they would seriously doing a complete makeover...

Hmmm, I supposed ... Princess & QE2 would offer something a little different and more upscale, at their price tiers. :D ;)

Edited by mking8288