Greetings from the Pacific Princess

rdsqrl

Please do a "live" of your Amazon cruise! :) We're waiting for it to come up on a schedule we can do. Hopefully, winter 2014/15.

Very happy to know there is a wine package available, now to figure out where to find the secret decoder ring! ;)

Find Bob and Meredith. I think he has it. :D

Maybe they don't want to wake up all the 140-year-olds snoozing on every couch in every public place.

Watch you tongue youngster. ;):p

You know when it's been too long between cruises? When on the first couple of nights aboard, the ship moves and you jolt awake, thinking someone just sat down on your bed. The cure is obvious: drink more so you fall asleep quicker. No, no, no. Cruise more. That's it. Or both . . .

Of course it's both! :D

Annie it sounds like you are having a great time and I hope it continues.

I have to make this quick because (a) it's late and I've been on the go all day, and (b) it's about 98 degrees in the Internet Cafe. In fact, every public room on this ship is too warm, in my opinion.

So, the perspicacious among you will have noted that our webcam shows, instead of the inky blackness of a night at sea, a lovely view of the Gibraltar/Spanish coast. Yes, we are still in Gibraltar. It was exceedingly windy today; in fact, the ship's thrusters were working all day to hold us against the pier. This afternoon, about sailing time or 4.30-ish, Captain Austin announced that the port was closed due to high winds. Then, whilst I was signing for my pre-dinner Chairman of the Board [that one's for you, Rick-Ek], he again took to the public address system to break the bad news: we are stuck in Gib overnight as the port closure means the bunker barge cannot reach us until tomorrow morning. This means that tomorrow's port call in Casablanca has been cancelled. Even worse, the gangway is closed. That's right. We're tantalizingly close -- a mere drunken stumble -- from one of the world's richest concentrations of pubs, and we're stuck on this ship. Even the stoic crew looked unhappy at that part of the announcement.

Captain Austin, by the way, has the delivery of Colin Firth [he should only have the looks, right?] in The King's Speech. There's a long pause after every full stop, like he's carefully avoiding any stutter or mis-statement. So, all his public addresses take forever; we would have passed Casablanca by the time he finished that announcement.

This is my first time ever having to miss a port; I feel like I'm now part of the most-cruised fraternity hereabouts. Like I can hold my head up high; I've been blooded. Or whatever. I guess I'd be more upset if I hadn't already been to Tangiers and gotten Morocco under my belt.

Tonight's dinner featured the most bizarre dessert menu ever. Ever. Option #1: [and, in the immortal words of Dave Barry, I am not making this up] Burnt Rhubarb Napoleon. Stop -- read those words again. What part of that did someone think sounded good?? Option #2: Apple and Walnut Spring Rolls. Has the chef gone insane? Did today's constant 30+MPH wind drive him to madness, much like Lillian Gish in that classic silent film?

Sammy Goldstein did his parody of New York, New York tonight. I have not laughed so hard since, well, ever.

My team won trivia today; I am the proud owner of a magnetic memo clip. Very excited.

No shoes in Barcelona, but today, I would have bought a gorgeous pair of black patent sandals, except they didn't have my size. Apparently, English women have much longer feet and my size (said the salesman, clucking his tongue and shaking his head) is hard to find.

Wine note: I brought a second bottle onboard today, with absolutely no raised eyebrows.

Pool water note: Temperature very difficult to test accurately, as the wind was blowing most of it onto the deck.

Shower curtain note: It has moved out into its own cabin. Well, we all saw that break-up coming. As Gloria Gaynor so memorably said, I will survive.

this

My team won trivia today; I am the proud owner of a magnetic memo clip. Very excited.

Very timely mention of said magnetic clips. I just finished packing two of them for our upcoming cruise this Saturday. Always have at least two to hang pertinent info. Like the map Mike NEEDS to have hanging in every cabin we occupy. :rolleyes:

Hey Annie-

Congratulations! Today marks a number of milestones...

Trivia win! When I won my super-fab magnetic clip, I stuck it to the wall of my cabin, so I could glance up and secretly gloat to myself (yes, I caught the irony)

You missed your first port. We missed the Falklands last year. I did not feel as though I joined any club though. Mostly I was just disappointed I did not get to see the million King penguins.

Sorry about the shoes. That IS disappointing.

Have a fun night. Maybe you can strong arm them into letting you off the ship!

Mutiny!

:)

Annie I'm sorry you are going to miss Casablanca as it would have at least given you another oppertunity to at least look for more shoes. :D

Now about that Burnt Rhubarb Napoleon.... I'm just going to assume you did not sample it. :rolleyes:

Sounds like your shower curtain's loss and your gain! :D

Barb

Kenswing, go back and read all my posts. Your question re the hangars is answered.

So, we left Gibraltar at 1pm, right on [revised] schedule. I have met a few people very unhappy about the revised itinerary (If I never hear the phrase, "I don't want to complaint, but . . ." again, it'll be too soon). Life's tough; suck it up, is my response. Oddly enough, I'm not the most popular person onboard.

I met the captain today on the jogging/walking track. I was jogging; he was getting in my way. He asked me how many more laps I had to go; I told him that I didn't count down, I counted up. I'm not sure he got it. Totally humourless.

So, comedian Al Katz was originally scheduled for one show only and then to disembark in Casablanca. The revised Patter (which, by the way, was in my cabin tout de suite last night, so kudos to whomever for that quick regrouping) listed him as having a second show tonight. Yay. Except, not. Apparently, his agent made him get off in Gib this morning, so instead we have some lame vocalist. Actually, I don't know if he's lame or not . . . I was in the mood for comedy so couldn't muster up the interest to go hear singing. Instead I'm going up to the Pacific Lounge, where it's usually just me and the cute bartender.

By the way, we are really rocking and rolling tonight (the ship, not the Pacific Lounge. That I'm sure will be as dead as it usually is.). Our poor waiter wasn't feeling entirely well tonight and managed to deliver a couple wrong dishes, forget a few orders, and neglected to fill my wine glass. Poor guy. On the other hand, the Chicken Tandoori was really, really good.

Came in second in trivia. One of the "official" answers was wrong; however, it was the most popular wrong answer, so even among my team, I was a lone voice crying out in the wilderness.

I'm nearly out of internet minutes, so if any of you people are actually reading this and interested in me continuing, now is the time to speak up. Otherwise, I'll pull the plug and buy the bare minimum just to check email every other day.

Pool water: warm and exceedingly frothy -- see above re ship motion. Surprised they didn't net it off.

Desserts: continue to be weird. Tonight: Rum Raisin Napoleon. What is this sudden obsession with Napoleons? Has Princess been the victim of a hostile takeover by the 18th-century French?

Gin supply: worrisome. I base this entirely on my personal consumption. Damn, I just KNEW I shoulda asked the captain about sufficient supplies for the crossing . . .

Gift shop: sadly lacking in sweatshirts. Someone forgot to pack her hoodie . . . and wearing a cardy or a fleece jacket over a swimsuit out by the pool is totally lame.

Oh heck Annie, don't fret about the "live from", you can fill in the days with your marvelous banter once you return.

Why worry about no sweatshirts just throw on your white Princess terry cloth robe?!? :rolleyes::eek:;) Gin supply running low oh dear.... better make sure you cozy up to that cute bartender in the Pacific Lounge. :D

Continue to enjoy yourself, Barb