Bringing wine and spirits onboard

Seagull60

I am confused about what the Oceania policy is regarding bringing wine and spirits onboard.

In a call to Oceania, regarding the Riviera, the following is what I was told.

3 bottles (750Ml) of wine could be brought onboard at embarkation.

No spirits could be brought onboard.

Any wine or spirits bought in a port would be confiscated upon return to the ship and returned at disembarkation.

Corkage fee for passenger wine of $25.

On the other hand, I have seen numerous other representations on the boards that indicate you can bring spirits and an unlimited amount of wine.

Why doesn't Oceania state their policy in writing ?

Why doesn't Oceania state their policy in writing ?

I get the feeling that there ARE a few National and/or International Restrictions which Oceania is concerned about running afoul of (don't forget, their ship's roam the entire World), which make it impossible to make "open house" their written policy, but the fact remains that they don't (and never have) enforced any restrictions.

Aren't there things in your business which are true, but you just can't say? ;)

Corkage fee for passenger wine of $25.

On the other hand, I have seen numerous other representations on the boards that indicate you can bring spirits and an unlimited amount of wine.

The corkage fee is only if you take wine that you brought onboard to the dining venues

You are free to drink it in your cabin NO CHARGE

As for the policy it seems to change with whoever you speak to at the RES dept ;)

From the website (open to interpretation)

What is your alcohol policy?

The sale and consumption of alcoholic beverages will be limited to guests aged 21 years or older. Oceania Cruises will refuse and prohibits the sale of alcoholic beverages to guests under the age of 21 years. Guests are kindly reminded to consume alcohol in moderation. Oceania Cruises reserves the right to prohibit and retain all alcohol bought ashore for consumption onboard the vessel.

http://www.oceaniacruises.com/guestservices/default.aspx

Other T & C

http://www.oceaniacruises.com/corporate/legal/termsconditions.aspx

Lyn

Edited by LHT28

3 bottles (750Ml) of wine could be brought onboard at embarkation.

No spirits could be brought onboard.

We were boarding Riviera in Barcelona at the main terminal where there is a duty-free on one side of the hallway and a wine shop on the other.

I went back and forth several times before settling on my purchases; 3 bottles of wine and one of spirits for our 16 day cruise.

I stood at the bottom of the elevator that would take us up to the walkways to the ship waiting for DW to make a decision on some sunglasses

While waiting I had a conversation with the O staff member, smartly outfitted in 'dress' all-white, at the foot of the elevators who was greeting the pax as they arrived.

She said to me that she had noticed I was back and forth between the wine shop and the liquor store and wanted to remind me of the max. bottle of wine limit and no spirits & possible confiscation rules.

I was taken aback, too astounded to say anything intelligent and just stepped away. Surely my two small plastic bags from the store containing two bottles each did not appears as if I was smuggling casks of rum on-board. Not sure if offended is the right word but I was certainly embarrassed and often when I think of an O cruise I recall her 'welcome aboard' admonition.

but the fact remains that they don't (and never have) enforced any restrictions.

So yes, perhaps not enforced but on their mind.

This was even before the drinks packages were being sold.

Edited by YoHoHo

She said to me that she had noticed I was back and forth between the wine shop and the liquor store and wanted to remind me of the max. bottle of wine limit and no spirits & possible confiscation rules.

So did they confiscate your purchases or did your return them ???

Lyn

So did they confiscate your purchases or did your return them ???

Lyn

Neither. The remark was just that - 'reminding' me of policy not a pre-confiscation or confrontational remark. The 'messenger' was not unpleasant and delivered the message in an informational way but it was the fact that it was even said to me is what surprised me. My natural reaction was to step away to guard my bag from just such an action. I possibly even moved them behind my back in an unconscious effort to shield them with my body :)

Had I been not allowed to carry them further I would have tried to return them. I think the throng in the duty-free store would have come to my aid.

Neither. The remark was just that - 'reminding' me of policy not a pre-confiscation or confrontational remark. The 'messenger' was not unpleasant and delivered the message in an informational way but it was the fact that it was even said to me is what surprised me.

I would be shocked as well

Guess I will not bother going out of my way to look for something for the cabin just in case they decide to uphold the policy

Will not be buying their drink package either :D

Thanks for the info

Lyn

I would be shocked as well

Guess I will not bother going out of my way to look for something for the cabin just in case they decide to uphold the policy

Will not be buying their drink package either :D

Thanks for the info

Lyn

Don't let this post through you off bringing a bottle on board, I have once before read on CC of someone else being reminded of this (Reception Desk perhaps) but have considered this an aberration and not to be expected.

Ironically I did buy the drink package next cruise (way in advance when it was less $. Its 20% more now). Undecided if I will again. TBD

Don't let this post through you off bringing a bottle on board, I have once before read on CC of someone else being reminded of this (Reception Desk perhaps) but have considered this an aberration and not to be expected.

Ironically I did buy the drink package next cruise (way in advance when it was less $. Its 20% more now). Undecided if I will again. TBD

Our last cruise was in 2011 ..no problem no (gentle other otherwise) reminders

We drink very little so no worries ;)

Lyn

We always bring bourbon and vermouth for our Manhattans along with a couple of bottles of wine and no problem. Other friends bring Scotch, etc without problem.

Perhaps YoHoHo might have caused the remark by going back and forth giving the impression of much larger purchases than were actually made.

Has anyone considered the possibility that the Oceania representative was reminding Yohoho about the DUTY FREE Restrictions on how much liquor could legally be carried out of that Port, rather than an Oceania restriction as to how much he could take onto the ship?

getGraphic.aspx?graphic_id=107711That would make perfect sense to me, and ties in nicely with nothing further being said onboard....

Edited by JimandStan

Has anyone considered the possibility that the Oceania representative was reminding Yohoho about the DUTY FREE Restrictions on how much liquor could legally be carried out of that Port, rather than an Oceania restriction as to how much he could take onto the ship?

That would make perfect sense to me, and ties in nicely with nothing further being said onboard....

It may make sense if they were departing or arriving in Australia :confused:

according to your chart

It may make sense if they were departing or arriving in Australia :confused:

according to your chart

Please, don't be deliberately obtuse, Lyn!

You know very well that every Country has restrictions on what one may and may not buy, Duty Free.

Let me ask the questions another way.

Has anyone ever had spirits confiscated from their luggage or carry- on at embarkation?

Are passengers and their belongings really inspected for alcohol when returning from shore?

When bringing spirits on board at embarkation, is it carried on or packed in your luggage?

It seems the policy may have changed so comments from recent cruises would be helpful.

Please, don't be deliberately obtuse, Lyn!

You know very well that every Country has restrictions on what one may and may not buy, Duty Free.

Actually the rules that I've seen only talk about what you can bring into a country duty free. Never seen a rule about taking out other than your chart. And, when have you ever gone thru customs when leaving a country?? Immigration in most countries except the US for sure and have never seen a customs official checking people when boarding a ship.

Your sign, would expect would be in a duty free store at the airport where they can restrict what you buy if that is the rule in Oz but, highly doubt many other countries care about what you leave the country with.

Duty free at the airport is after any and all immigration and security so who other than the sellers in the store could possibly restrict what you take on the plane??

Let me ask the questions another way.

Has anyone ever had spirits confiscated from their luggage or carry- on at embarkation? I have not had a problem in the past

Are passengers and their belongings really inspected for alcohol when returning from shore?

everything goes through the xray machine when you return to the ship

When bringing spirits on board at embarkation, is it carried on or packed in your luggage? in your carry on.... or some people have a box & put a lugggage tag on it I have heard

It seems the policy may have changed so comments from recent cruises would be helpful.

I think the policy is the same as always

but they reserve the right if someone abusing their rules ;)

When we were in Cape Town, we went wine shopping - great wine at great prices. We brought a case on board - in 2 boxes with name and cabin number affixed. It was checked with the baggage and was delivered (before the luggage) to our cabin with a smile. Never had a problem and paid the corkage fee. I think if the policy is abused, then there could be problems. Arlene;)

I think the policy is the same as always

but they reserve the right if someone abusing their rules ;)

Lyn's replies (in the quote box that gets left behind on the re-quote) is well put.

"Has anyone ever had spirits confiscated from their luggage or carry- on at embarkation? I have not had a problem in the past"

Not even I have had it confiscated.

everything goes through the xray machine when you return to the ship

Even the Madeira I purchased in Madeira got through the bag check unscathed. They are not inspecting for alcohol specifically but for security.

When bringing spirits on board at embarkation, is it carried on or packed in your luggage? in your carry on.... or some people have a box & put a lugggage tag on it I have heard

I always buy local wine before boarding so I carry on in the shop's packaging

We always bring bourbon and vermouth for our Manhattans along with a couple of bottles of wine and no problem. Other friends bring Scotch, etc without problem.

Perhaps YoHoHo might have caused the remark by going back and forth giving the impression of much larger purchases than were actually made.

Yes, I am indecisive and it took me a crazy long time to make the wine selection. Unfamiliar with much of what was offered (which is the pleasure of purchasing local wine). But the purchase was out there for all to see, just the two small shopping bags each with two bottles.

Others were clearly buying more. Perhaps the greeter chose that as her topic of small talk while I stood by waiting for DW at the adjacent shop.

I too have heard of folks bringing cases of wine on board and seen others with a selection of large bottles of liquor. I have carried on board this same 4 bottle assortment on every cruise except one longer one and that had one more bottle.

So as per earlier, I treat this as an anomaly, just reporting what happened to me.

That would make perfect sense to me, and ties in nicely with nothing further being said onboard....

No, as per my first post she cited O's rule. Nothing to do with Duty Free regs.

Ties in for me that nothing further would be said on board becasue as i wrote "The remark was just that - 'reminding' me of policy not a pre-confiscation or confrontational remark. "

However that is unless she secretly spoke into her two-way radio watch to alert ahead that a rum runner was approaching the gangway :)

We never had a problem, but with the Drink Packages now offered we just don't fine a need to bring anything on the ship-it's just extra carry on.

Rick

That is what I was thinking on last cruise. Being as we were not embarking from port with unique local wines to bring on-board so the drink package made even more sense. Also unlike some other lines with drink packages they still charge the full rate for corkage so encouraging to drink their by-the-glass selection.

I am wondering if with the drink packages at some point they will start reminding pax more outwardly of the limit to encourage drink package sales. I cannot imagine at this point them enforcing the rule just say, print it in a bolder font. (not unlike Destinations method of encouraging ship excursion purchases by reminding folks repeatedly that the ship will sail on time - which it WILL and so IS a valid and helpful reminder but when mentioned throughout a sales pitch one become suspect of the intention)

The drink package is a good deal for some and not others. With it we did spend more time out of the cabin rather than have our pre-dinner cocktail on the balcony (which I did miss but ordering room service for a couple of G&Ts or whatever seemed, well just was not to my liking). Consequently we were out and about more and did shut down Horizons several times :) I have read that part of FDRs intention with these packages was to encourage exactly that behaviour and raise the level of enjoyment and activity of the whole cruise. Objective met.