Live from Uniworld's River Queen. Nuremberg to Frankfurt

H2Otstr

Wow! Scary small! Just booked a cruise on this ship...now having second thoughts.

Don't think of it as being "small", think about the places you will explore, the wonderful food you will eat, the sun deck that you will enjoy, etc. You spend so little time in the room. :)

One look at the pictures of that cabin has me knowing for sure I will not be sailing Uniworld. The public areas look fine, but the cabin is similar to those on the old AMA ships only worse. And looks very dated. The closet situation is completely unacceptable.

Plus the "going green" thing is a hoax. They use that as an excuse, but the real reason is to save money. You can't hoard the big shampoo and lotion bottles to take home.

Silversea has been trying the same thing as far as the water bottles go, and it has not gone over well.

One look at the pictures of that cabin has me knowing for sure I will not be sailing Uniworld. The public areas look fine, but the cabin is similar to those on the old AMA ships only worse. And looks very dated. The closet situation is completely unacceptable.

Plus the "going green" thing is a hoax. They use that as an excuse, but the real reason is to save money. You can't hoard the big shampoo and lotion bottles to take home.

Silversea has been trying the same thing as far as the water bottles go, and it has not gone over well.

This ship was built in 1999 and I think that May explain why the River Queen is so funky... Remodeled in 2010 but still a very old girl! I think the newer ships are much different.

River Queen

A regal, art deco boutique cruise ship (recently rated #1 ship in the entire cruise industry in the 2012 Conde Nast Traveler Readers' Cruise Poll)

PHOTOS

OVERVIEW

SHIP FACTS

DECK PLAN

FLOOR PLAN

REVIEWS

Inaugurated: 1999 | Remodeled: 2010 | Length: 361 ft | Width: 37.5 ft | Voltage: 110/220 volts | Guests: 130 | Suites: 4 (215 sq ft) | Categories 1 – 5 Staterooms: 61 (151 sq ft) Rhine and Moselle rivers

Note: Adjoining staterooms are available. Please inquire at time of booking.

To each his own.

These photos brought back wonderful memories of the Queen. We did not have any problem with the size of the cabin. Felt like it was our nest. Thought the shower was more than adequate and enough space in the closet for our clothes. Did prefer the larger dispenser for shampoo and lotions, really who wants to struggle with getting shampoo out of a tiny squeeze bottle?

Going green is extremely important in Europe. They are years ahead of north americans in their recycling efforts.

Must admit we did have stuff on the window ledge...books, maps, etc.

We were across the hall in 312 and loved it.

The 'wallpaper' is in fact embroidered fabric.

For us it was the cruise itself, the rivers, the history, the people we met , these were the important things.

If you feel the cabin size is too small, consider a suite.

Looking forward to the next Uniworld cruise...this Sunday on the Duchess and the Grand Christmas and New Year's cruise.

To each his own.

These photos brought back wonderful memories of the Queen. We did not have any problem with the size of the cabin. Felt like it was our nest. Thought the shower was more than adequate and enough space in the closet for our clothes. Did prefer the larger dispenser for shampoo and lotions, really who wants to struggle with getting shampoo out of a tiny squeeze bottle?

Going green is extremely important in Europe. They are years ahead of north americans in their recycling efforts.

Must admit we did have stuff on the window ledge...books, maps, etc.

We were across the hall in 312 and loved it.

The 'wallpaper' is in fact embroidered fabric.

For us it was the cruise itself, the rivers, the history, the people we met , these were the important things.

If you feel the cabin size is too small, consider a suite.

Looking forward to the next Uniworld cruise...this Sunday on the Duchess and the Grand Christmas and New Year's cruise.

Our traveling companions were in 312 :D. I did finally see the Captain and told him that you said Hi. He said Hi back.

Have a great time on your next trip.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for sharing the photos! We'll be on our first river cruise in May on the River Princess in a similar type cabin and I'm really enjoying seeing your photos of the cabin. Looks perfect. I've sailed an ocean cruise in a suite and while the space was very nice, I have zero issues with the size of this cabin.

Thanks again for sharing!

Kathy

I thought the room looked very cozy and the common rooms nicely decorated! All quotes about you are there to see the sights and not in your room a lot are truly correct. We have been on 3 river cruises, Danube with Viking, Rhine with Avalon and Russian with AMA and all were different and all were wonderful. I hope you post some more pictures of the ports...would love to see those to. Thanks for taking the time to do this review.

Loved your pics - we were in many of these same places this past June. Especially fond of the bridge in Würzberg - it's called Alte Mainbrücke, and we were there on Midsummer's Eve. The bridge was crowed with Würzbergers, and everyone was lining up at the walk-up bar getting glasses of wine to enjoy. The endless summer twilight led into a beautiful near-full moon...

Our profile picture is from that night! Thanks for sharing. Can't wait to go back. We are hoping to try the Rhine this spring on SS Antoinette.

Edited by jpalbny

Thanks for the interesting review and great pictures.

Went back to check - you were involved in this summer's flooding. Glad to see you weren't turned off river cruising!

Can you compare AMA with Uniworld based on these two cruises? I'm especially interested in comparisons of the onboard cuisine and included wines.

Thanks for the interesting review and great pictures.

Went back to check - you were involved in this summer's flooding. Glad to see you weren't turned off river cruising!

Can you compare AMA with Uniworld based on these two cruises? I'm especially interested in comparisons of the onboard cuisine and included wines.

Yes, we started our trip in the riots in Istanbul and finished in the floods in Budapest. We have river cruised 13 times, so we just go with the flow.

AMA and Uniworld are very similar is the kind of foods they serve. AMA did have a menu and buffet available for lunch; Uniworld only had a buffet. Both served different wines (red and white) each evening, not just the generic red and white that some other lines serve.

The biggest difference that I noticed was the decorations. Uniworld's sofas and chairs in the lounge were not nearly as comfortable as AMA's. JMHO by the way.