Reflection Dress Code....Just Back!!!

thephillykid

Sorry guys,

I have just devolved into the ridiculous and started giggling.

Jane 2357 it is all your fault!

Just reading your post with the mention of hats made me think of the older dress code.... men may not wear hats while dining; women may.

That brought up images of beautiful, formally gowned women gliding into the MDR with well worn ball caps on their heads.

Just goes to show you just can't take a formal vs informal thread seriously for too long.

Cheers, h.

Edited by middlehaitch

You mean like THIS...

...or the previous poster who called people "tacky."

...or the previous poster who used the word "slob" in referring to retired people who didn't want to dress up.

...or the previous posters who infer that people are not "grown ups"

...or the previous poster who infers people who don't like formal dress or other options should pick another cruise line.

...or the previous poster who infers that more casual dressers belong on Carnival?

Yup, I guess I see what you mean.

You obviously did not understand the point I am making. Yes there are those who go overboard either way, that always happens on these stupid threads. It is the people who come on, contribute nothing of value and criticize those who are doing what they are supposed to be doing.

Again, I don't care what people wear and it will not have any effect on my enjoyment of a cruise. I just wish Celebrity would either enforce their dress code or get rid of it but they are making money off pictures and specialty restaurants so that will not happen anytime soon.

You obviously did not understand the point I am making. Yes there are those who go overboard either way, that always happens on these stupid threads. It is the people who come on, contribute nothing of value and criticize those who are doing what they are supposed to be doing.

Again, I don't care what people wear and it will not have any effect on my enjoyment of a cruise. I just wish Celebrity would either enforce their dress code or get rid of it but they are making money off pictures and specialty restaurants so that will not happen anytime soon.

Thanks Don,

This is the exact point that I was originally trying to make when I originally started this thread. I had zero problem getting dressed up for the formal night, as seen by me dressing in my tuxedo, but celebrity should enforce their own policy. It would have been much easier to pack another golf shirt or 2 for all 7 casual nights rather than pack a tuxedo. I tried to conform to their policy because it is their policy.

Howard

My thoughts exactly. If Celebrity has a rule, whether it be dress code or other rules, they should either enforce them or discountinue them. To have a dress code and, on some ships, it is not enforced, but on others it is, is just ridiculous. With regard to rules and their enforcement, Celebrity needs to get their act together.

The irony is that many of the very same folks who choose ignore the dress code and validate their position with "It's my cruise, I'll do as I please," are the same folks who get their knickers in a knot when other pax of the same mindset choose to ignore rules re smoking, saving seats at the pool or in the theater, cutting in lines, etc. In other words, they get to decide which rules they'll live by and they get to decide which rules everyone else will live by.

Edited by lysolqn

The irony is that many of the very same folks who choose ignore the dress code and validate their position with "It's my cruise, I'll do as I please," are the same folks who get their knickers in a knot when other pax of the same mindset choose to ignore rules re smoking, saving seats at the pool or in the theater, cutting in lines, etc. In other words, they get to decide which rules they'll live by and they get to decide which rules everyone else will live by.

Your comment reminds me of a trip I did down the Amazon. There was a couple on the ship and the husband came down to dinner the first night with no shoes (gross) and loudly said that he was booked in a suite and was on vacation and could come down to dinner naked if he wanted to, after the dining room manager asked that he put on shoes. Well that lasted one night, next night he wore shoes at the Captain's request. I guess he probably would have been better off if he would have tried coming down naked the first night, but with shoes on. Just shows that some don't think any of the rules apply to them, but again, it is Celebrity's fault for not enforcing them company wide with consistency. If they have a dress code, enforce it. If they have a rule about not saving seats, enforce it. If they don't want to enforce the rules, then don't have rules.

I agree people should abide by the dress code. It is published prior to booking the cruise, and there are other free and pay options. While I think that flip flops, shorts, and hat have no place in the dining room, I would have no sadness if they went to a strict country club casual only. Maybe a couple nights where they required just a jacket. Though until Celebrity changes their policy I will continue to follow their guidelines.

I do get sick of lugging formal wear or a suit halfway across the globe for a couple hours on a couple nights though. The last cruise we were on it was so warm in our section of the MDR that it was so uncomfortable in formal wear that I had no choice but to remove my jacket during dinner (other areas of MDR seemed better though).

MY PREDICTION:

The next stage (whenever that is implemented) of Celebrity's Formal Nights will be worded as follows:

Evening dress code: Smart Casual / Formal Optional - For those who would like to dress formally, tonight is the night to bring out your formal wear and dress to the nines for your evening pleasure.. Smart Casual, as always, is also completely acceptable.

- Rick

MY PREDICTION:

The next stage (whenever that is implemented) of Celebrity's Formal Nights will be worded as follows:

Evening dress code: Smart Casual / Formal Optional - For those who would like to dress formally, tonight is the night to bring out your formal wear and dress to the nines for your evening pleasure.. Smart Casual, as always, is also completely acceptable.

- Rick

I could not have said it better.It is the best of all worlds for everyone.

I agree that if the Cruise line has a dress code, then they should enforce it AND the passengers who wish to cruise that line should abide by it.

DH and I are planning our fourth cruise. We have been on Princess, HAL and Royal Caribbean and have dressed formally for each when the dress code called for it. We also want to try all of the lines.

On HAL they also had a semi-formal night as the second night and I was afraid that DHs sport coat that TSA must have tied in a knot wouldn't be back from the laundry on time, so I told our tablemates that if his sport coat was not back we would not be at dinner the next evening. Our lovely table mates said they would certainly understand and for my husband to come in his shirt and tie, so there are instances where things happen that people aren't able to dress appropriately. BUT it is good manners to follow the dress code of the dining room or eat somewhere else.

We went to Portofino's on the Serenade of the Seas on formal night and the couple at the next table actually asked us if we knew that we didn't have to dress formally in the Specialty restaurants even on formal night. My husband told the gentlemen that we wanted to dress formally on formal night...where we ate didn't matter. So it's okay to be over dressed but bad manners to be underdressed.

We have watched the Reflection leave her berth on the Port of Miami webcam recently and are considering her for our next trip, but DH has said he didn't want to dress formally, so that's fine but we won't be eating in the MDR on formal nights because we are not packing the proper attire.

I can only control my own behavior! We know the rules going in and if we don't want to follow them we make other plans.

As cruising expands to a broader demographic, so too do the tastes and attires onboard.

In addition, airlines are becoming more and more tight on luggage allowances. The days of 2 free checked bags are long gone with most airlines, and for the Mediterranean as an example, folks doing a week or two of touring around by land before or after their cruise - well dragging along extra suitcases full of tuxes, gowns et al is something that more and more people are reluctant to do.

Cruise lines more and more are having to balance the desire of those that wish to "dress up to the nines" with those that want to be elegantly dressed, but perhaps not in a Tux or full suit, or full gown.

FWIW, on a recent X cruise I wore a 3-piece suit, but without the jacket. The MDR was uncomfortably hot and stuffy so I wore the suit pants, the vest/waistcoat, a formal dress shirt and tie, but sans Jacket. I guess I would have been one of those vilified by the OP and pointed out to the Maitre D for not wearing a jacket while seated. Each to their own. :rolleyes:

Edited by YYC F/A

We are going on our first Celebrity cruise in two months after years of cruising on Royal Caribbean. We certainly dress up with formal attire including my son. I think it is an excellent lesson in learning to dress to fit the circumstances. He's just turned 9 and in the first year of puberty already about 5'1" so he's between kids sizes and adult which makes his formal clothing a challenge. I had been thinking that I really need him in a full suit as we usually do, but now I think I shall do dress shirt and tie with dress pants and a suit vest. Hopefully no one will cringe at that option.

Our son is just turning 8. Last year and the years prior I have purchased a dark colored sports jacket for him. He wears it with nice khakis and a shirt and tie. He always looks nice. It was getting crazy buying a suit every year. They grow so fast out of them.

I agree with the learning how to dress for the occasion. We are sailing on Celebrity Reflection in March and he will be dressed :-)

I agree with your point on rule enforcement, however, I never understand why some people are so critical of corporations making a profit. Making money is not bad, it enables cruiselines to even exist.

Gosh, aren't these dress code threads so much fun. They remind me of a stock car race, big loud, energy wasting cars going round and round and round with the occasional good pass, but more often than not, bad wrecks. And sometimes, if we're lucky we'll get the "Big One" and the race will be red flagged. But if the race does go the distance, what do you get after 250 laps (or posts)? The cars just end up right back to where they started from. ;)

Bottom line is that Celebrity will do what is in its economic self- interest to do. If it’s more profitable to enforce a dress code it will. If it’s more profitable to abandon the dress code all together, it will. And if it’s more profitable to straddle the fence, you guessed it, Celebrity will. I don’t think the suits (:)) at Head Office care if Celebrity is the best dressed cruise line out there. Wanting to be the most profitable cruise line is what really floats their boat.;)

Edited by DirtyDawg

MY PREDICTION:

- Rick

Rick,

My thoughts exactly.

I wonder if celebrity is hiring for their pr department, you should apply.

Howard

I just wish Celebrity would either enforce their dress code or get rid of it but they are making money off pictures and specialty restaurants so that will not happen anytime soon.

Don, let me preface my comments by saying I believe everyone should abide by the "suggested" dress code. But that's the problem. Celebrity is only suggesting what you should wear. How can you enforce a rule that doesn't exist? In our society today, where most people's mentality is they're entitled to do what they want, it's hard for a business to tell some people that don't have the resources or the desire to dress according to a stated dress code to abide by it or leave the diningroom. They're afraid of losing their business by embarrassing them.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Forums mobile app

...my late mother always taught us that it was bad manners to comment on how others were dressed (especially if it was a snarky comment).;)

My late mother always taught me not adhering to the host's dress code was insulting to the host ..

My late mother always taught me not adhering to the host's dress code was insulting to the host ..

While one might debate whether, in the case of paying customers, there actually is a "host", the underlying principal remains the same and your late mother was quite right.

And we must have been deprived, because we never went anywhere where the hosts told us what to wear.:rolleyes:

And we must have been deprived, because we never went anywhere where the hosts told us what to wear.:rolleyes:

While I am not defending either position, Have you never been invited to a black tie function? Typically on the invitation it does say "Black Tie preferred." The host or hostess do dictate the dress code in this instance and the guests "typically" adhere to the wishes of the host(ess).

:)

Edited by Cruise a holic