Suggestions for first timers

lindsiedub

My boyfriend and I are looking to go on our first cruise in April 2014. We would like to head to either the Caribbean or the Bahamas. I'm basically looking for any suggestions or feedback from experienced cruisers on what cruise line to go with, etc. Would like to get the best bang for our buck, of course. Thanks!

My boyfriend and I are looking to go on our first cruise in April 2014. We would like to head to either the Caribbean or the Bahamas. I'm basically looking for any suggestions or feedback from experienced cruisers on what cruise line to go with, etc. Would like to get the best bang for our buck, of course. Thanks!

Hello Lindsiedub, welcome to Cruise Critic.

The thing to do is to research the cruise lines to see what appeals to you most.

How much money are you willing to spend? How long are you going for? Do you like a lot of on board activities or just relaxing and taking it easy.

Some people book shorter 3 and 5 day cruises to get there feet wet and see how they like cruising. Personally, I'd suggest a longer 7-day cruise where you can really relax, kick back and get a feel for the ship, the atmosphere and the adventure of it all.

Carnival will probably give you the best rates for a decent cabin. There are many people who enjoy this line, I have not sailed with them personally but, have read about Hairy Legs Contests and rowdy crowds on board. Many people start with Carnival and move one or continue to cruise them.

Royal Caribbean is an extremely popular line particularly with families. They offer a ton of on board amenities like rock climbing walls, water parks, in-line skating, ice skating shows, zip lining particularly on the gigantic Oasis Class ships like Oasis and Allure of the Seas.

Perhaps for a first cruise you might not want so many bells and whistles and would enjoy one of Royal Caribbean's large but, less low key Voyager or Radiance Class ships, like Radiance, Jewel, Voyager, Adventure of the Seas.

Princess also has beautiful ships, a bit more formal than the first two but, many options for on board entertainment.

Celebrity Cruises is something to consider if you enjoy beautiful modern ships with elegant public spaces, terrific service and a formal atmosphere a few nights a week.

There is no one cruise line that is perfect for young people or new cruisers. The determining factors are what to you, what do you like. Start digging through the boards here at Cruise Critic read some reviews, look at pictures ask some questions about specific ships and how they compare to other lines and eventually you'll get a feel for what it is your looking for.

Jonathan

Edited by cruiserking

If flying to your port get there a day before. Makes a relaxing first day and avoids problems with flights.

Bermuda and the Bahamas are NOT Caribbean.....they are both in the Atlantic, and get about the same weather as the southern US....like Florida and Georgia....

If you want warm, tropical weather, go to a true Caribbean destination.

Get yourself a guidebook from your library on the Caribbean Islands. Read it, and decide where you'd like to go.

Then, you can choose which cruiseline/ship goes where you want to go! All of the mass-market ships will give you a good time....they are more alike than different!

How old are the two of you? I would start by looking at Carnival. A fun vibe. Should be the cheapest cruise line.

Go for a 7 day Caribbean cruise. Grab a cheap cabin. Either interior or Oceanview. Read thru the Port of Call Threads for insights on ports. Read thru the Carnival boards.

Enjoy!

Carnival is the cheapest, especially after last year, and many young people flock there because of the prices. I agree, go for Caribbean, which will have perfect temps in April.

My favorite islands are St. Martins and St. Thomas. Both have great shopping and great beaches. Souther Carib is mist expensive, eastern next, and western Caribbean is the cheapest.

So, best bang would most likely be carnival, old ship, western Caribbean. Once you're hooked, you can upgrade to southern carribean, new ship, better cruise line...good luck !

Bermuda and the Bahamas are NOT Caribbean.....they are both in the Atlantic, and get about the same weather as the southern US....like Florida and Georgia....

If you want warm, tropical weather, go to a true Caribbean destination.

Get yourself a guidebook from your library on the Caribbean Islands. Read it, and decide where you'd like to go.

Then, you can choose which cruiseline/ship goes where you want to go! All of the mass-market ships will give you a good time....they are more alike than different!

She said she wants to go to the Caribbean OR the Bahamas.

OP: Without knowing your tastes it is impossible for us to tell you what cruise to take. I'd suggest Google, or post a few more details here so people can give you advice based on what you want, not what they like. I do agree with the above that most the mass market lines are pretty much the same.

Good luck

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

For your first cruise many people consider cruise lines such as RCI, NCL and Carnival.

Given the choice of the three I would recommend RCI.

I would also recommend the Caribbean and a seven day cruise.

Look at cruises out of either Miami and Fort Lauderdale.

Keith

I'm not an experince cruiser. I'm planning my first cruise too, and thought I could give you another way to think of things. Me and my husband started by looking at departure locations. Do you plan on flying or driving? If driving, do you want a port closer to home or are you will to travel farther. You need to calculate the price of gas and a rental car, if you don't want to drive your own. Cruises going out of Florida to the locations you want to visit are the cheapest. We will being going on Carnival Fantasy out of Charleston, SC. It's $100 more than if we sailed out of any of the Florida ports, but after paying for extra gas and hotel due to extra travel time we wouldn't save anything. You may want to start with looking at the travel first and then seeing whitch cruise lines service that port. I have family that have been on cruises and they like sailing on either Carnival or Royal Caribbean.

There are also age requirements on some cruise lines that might prevent you and your boyfriend from booking a cabin on your own. And since I am well past that requirement, I'm in my 60s :eek:, you might want to find out first before setting your heart on a certain cruise line only to find out you are still a little too young. Some cruiselines are 25. I am sure someone here, knows from experience, and can give you the correct information.

Edited by lady_cruiser

Although a bit more for flights, also consider a cruise out of San Juan. We have done 3 cruises from there on RCI, all with 5 ports on each itinerary. Sea days are fun, but I'd much rather explore new places. So if that's your thing and you can afford the airfare then look at some of those cruises. If you don't mind spending half your cruise on sea days then Miami, Ft. Lauderdale, Tampa, Galveston, New Orleans etc... all work well. IMHO the itinerary is what's important to me. If I can afford it, that's what I book.

First time look at cabins in the middle of the ship, less movement if the seas are rough. For that reason I'd also recomend not sailing out of Boston or New York. Sometimes they can be rough, not always but...