GS or RFS

We are currently booked in a GS for the first leg of our B2B on the Liberty of the seas. Our daughter and neice will be joining us for first sailing. I am considering upgrading to a RFS as I am a little nervous about the size of the GS vs the RFS which is much larger and has two bedrooms. We may have issues with two twenty something females hogging the bathroom and my husband and I not having time to take showers and get ready in the mornings and the evenings--plus we really want our privacy. The price still seems a little high even though RC has just lowered it again but there is only one RFS left. Has anyone ever stayed in a GS with four people? If so, was it tight? My husband and I have stayed in one on our last cruise and I am really thinking, it may be a problem. Should I bite the bullet and pay $950 to upgrade? On the upside if I do, I think my TA will offer us a few more perks that may help with offside the cost of the upgrade.

Is it significantly more expensive to keep the GS and get the girls their own stateroom, across the hall?

We are paying for both girls tab. Yes, it would be significant and since they are 3rd and 4th passengers in our room, they were only $600 a piece after taxes, etc. They can use the CL for wine/beer at lunch and get free drinks in the CL during happy hour. I believe this would be the best way to go since they are both over the age of 21. I could just see us getting a huge bill at the end of cruise from their bar tabs if we put them in an inside room which would cost more money then them being in the suite.

Edited by Colorado Babe

We are paying for both girls tab. Yes, it would be significant and since they are 3rd and 4th passengers in our room, they were only $600 a piece after taxes, etc. They can use the CL for wine/beer at lunch and get free drinks in the CL during happy hour. I believe this would be the best way to go since they are both over the age of 21. I could just see us getting a huge bill at the end of cruise from their bar tabs if we put them in an inside room which would cost more money then them being in the suite.

When did Liberty start having beer and wine at lunch in the CL? I thought that was only Allure and Oasis.

Makes sense. I was thinking that keeping the GS for you would avoid having to change staterooms on the second cruise.

I'd bite the bullet but that's just me. We did a GS with 4 but my boys, key word, boys were younger and did not spend as much time in the bathroom as girls do. I even took a bigger bite when they were older and did the OS because we liked the space. Now we travel with 5 and the RFS has been the cabin of choice for quite a few sailings now. The second bathroom is a big plus!!

Two, twenty something females sleeping on a pullout and a cot will take up space in the GS. That's how I did it with my sons.

The RFS will give you two bathrooms, three TV's, bigger balcony but the suite perks are the same no matter if you are in the GS or RFS.

Makes sense. I was thinking that keeping the GS for you would avoid having to change staterooms on the second cruise.

I Know however, we still haven't upgraded to the GS yet on the second sailing of the B2B. We are currently booked in a balcony but never had the intention of keeping it. Prices are slowly going down and no one is booking the JS or GS so we are keeping our fingers crossed to upgrade shortly--as soon as they lower the prices or offer the W guarantee. Since we will be diamond on the second sailing we really don't mind if were in a JS or GS since we will be able to use the DL. Either way, we'll have to switch cabins I guess.

I'd bite the bullet but that's just me. We did a GS with 4 but my boys, key word, boys were younger and did not spend as much time in the bathroom as girls do. I even took a bigger bite when they were older and did the OS because we liked the space. Now we travel with 5 and the RFS has been the cabin of choice for quite a few sailings now. The second bathroom is a big plus!!

Two, twenty something females sleeping on a pullout and a cot will take up space in the GS. That's how I did it with my sons.

The RFS will give you two bathrooms, three TV's, bigger balcony but the suite perks are the same no matter if you are in the GS or RFS.

That's my thoughts as well. We're on vacation and we all want to have a great time. I was astounded how much more money it would cost to put the girls in an inside cabin. So--I really want them to be able to use the CL and get all the perks and double points. My daughter will move upto Emerald and I like the idea of them being able to us the CL for speciality coffees and the happy hour. I think in the long run--we'll save money. I doubt they'll have anything on their seapasses since our TA is paying their gratuties and I told them they can drink at happy hour.

You maybe right, I wasn't sure if the Liberty offered beer and wine at lunch on the Liberty. I was only aware that we were able to on the Allure. My bad. Doesn't matter anyway as I really think the girls will still be sleeping still.

The CL on Liberty, as on all Freedom class ships, only serves alcohol during the cocktail hour in the evening.

Edited by cruisenfever

Thanks for letting me know. Do they serve lunch in the CL?

I don't think lunch is served in any CL except for Oasis and Allure. There may be some sandwiches, I've seen that on Radiance, but that's the exception.

We are currently booked in a GS for the first leg of our B2B on the Liberty of the seas. Our daughter and neice will be joining us for first sailing. I am considering upgrading to a RFS as I am a little nervous about the size of the GS vs the RFS which is much larger and has two bedrooms. We may have issues with two twenty something females hogging the bathroom and my husband and I not having time to take showers and get ready in the mornings and the evenings--plus we really want our privacy. The price still seems a little high even though RC has just lowered it again but there is only one RFS left. Has anyone ever stayed in a GS with four people? If so, was it tight? My husband and I have stayed in one on our last cruise and I am really thinking, it may be a problem. Should I bite the bullet and pay $950 to upgrade? On the upside if I do, I think my TA will offer us a few more perks that may help with offside the cost of the upgrade.

Go for it!!! A GS for four adults is too small! With the RFS everyone will get some privacy, and the two bathrooms are a plus. BTW, RFS are not usually offered to families of four, we had one one the Jewel once and loved it.

Edited by drarill

From what you post, I think that you definitely will be much happier in RFS than the GS - and it will be worth the added cost. You do not have real privacy from the other two in a GS - and the second bathroom will be a BIG plus.

I missed my TA's call and waiting for her to call me back. I'm going to go for it. It will be well worth the cost just for a little privacy. I know the girls will be out until wee hours of the night and let's just say, I don't want to hear them. Plus, the two bathrooms will definetly be worth it, within itself. I am not going to tell my husband, I've decided to just surprise him and will enjoy looking at his face when he sighs a sign of relief. Could you imagine being in a room with three grown women and trying to share a bathroom with them? Thanks everyone for your advice.

We were in a GS on Liberty last January. A great cabin, but might be too crowded with the 2 girls.

We just got off Liberty again today. We had cabin 8714, the RFS. Its like a small condo! Will give you and your girls privacy. Two negatives about this cabin. It is aft and a looong walk to the elevator. The balcony is huge with great aft view. But, every morning, water and soot falls down on the balcony from above.

The Concierge in the Suite Lounge is Oana Popa. She does an outstanding job--very helpful. During cocktail time, our glass was never empty!

We were in a GS on Liberty last January. A great cabin, but might be too crowded with the 2 girls.

We just got off Liberty again today. We had cabin 8714, the RFS. Its like a small condo! Will give you and your girls privacy. Two negatives about this cabin. It is aft and a looong walk to the elevator. The balcony is huge with great aft view. But, every morning, water and soot falls down on the balcony from above.

The Concierge in the Suite Lounge is Oana Popa. She does an outstanding job--very helpful. During cocktail time, our glass was never empty!

I'm bummed! My TA called and Royal wants $1250 more to upgrade. I was willing to pay $1000 but really can't justify the cost now. I heard about to soot and was willing to overlook it but for 2060 pp for my husband and I each, there is no way for a five day cruise. I'll keep checking and see if the price gode down more if not, we'll suck it up. L&h TA said they couldn't give us anymore perks since we're already getting prepaid gratuities and $150 in OBC. That was the deal breaker. Bummed!

Edited by Colorado Babe

Keep your GS...and set rules for the girls! YOU are paying...you get the bathroom when you want! You will have another week for your "privacy" issues! The girls can shower in the gym, if needed!

That's what my husband said. They can go get ready in the gym. Thanks for cheering me up. There is still a chance RC could lower. The price and I will book it but not counting on it!

There is still a chance RC could lower. The price and I will book it but not counting on it!

Heck-you're 20 days out-hope for an upgrade!!

I would also ask when on board. I noticed on one of my cruises the RFS under me had no occupancy that week which myself and those surrounding us found strange. You may get a good on board deal. Even ask your TA to call the day before you leave. If no one has taken it yet, they may take lower at that point. Never hurts to ask!

Heck-you're 20 days out-hope for an upgrade!!

I would also ask when on board. I noticed on one of my cruises the RFS under me had no occupancy that week which myself and those surrounding us found strange. You may get a good on board deal. Even ask your TA to call the day before you leave. If no one has taken it yet, they may take lower at that point. Never hurts to ask!

That's what my TA said yesteday--to ask at the pier. I am still going to keep watching the RFS until we leave. I still can't believe that RC won't give my TA any incentive to sell the upgrade hence them not being able to offer us extra OBC, Speciality Restaraunt, etc.....That is what they told me when I was trying to justify paying that much to upgrade for two bedrooms and two bathrooms on a five day cruise. It's still available this morning for the same price. I'm hoping they'll lower the price this weekend and I'll put a hold on it and grab it on Monday. Time will tell. In the meantime still looking to upgrade from a Balcony to a GS on the 2nd sailing. RC still has 15 JS and GS available. They need to lower those prices or they will have 30 suites vacant. Would love to be able to stay in our GS for both sailings.

The price for the RFS and OS are now lower than what I paid for the GS and of course my TA is out on the weekend. I put holds on both and will do it again tomorrow night in the hopes that we'll be able to grab at least one of them and that the price doesn't go up again. Crossing my fingers!

I am so excited. Was able to upgrade to the RFS (cabin 9408) for a total of $50.00! Now we won't have to worry about the bathroom situation and privacy! Thanks everyone for your help! Woo Hoo!

Great price for the upgrade! Glad it worked out.:)