Princess at st thomas

bigguy6

We have taken a number of Princess cruises over the years. Some time back Princess, and all ships I believe, docked at Havensight in St Thomas. Then the Crown Bay docking area opened and I believe I heard at the time that Princess agreed to dock there and received a discount on their docking fee for doing so. But I also thought that during slow days (i.e. weekends) when there were only one or two ships in port that even Princess would still use Havesight. Our cruise in March docks at St Thomas on Sat. March 22. According to the St Thomas web sight there are only 2 ships in port that day, but even so one will dock at Havensight and we will dock at Crown Bay. First of all am I remembering correctly on the original idea concerning Crown Bay docking and if so why the change?

Probably just a simple cost/operational decision. I would say that if there are only two ships in port, the Port of St. Thomas would want to operate only the one pier and not have to bring in staff to operate the two piers. The store operators also only have to open up the Havensight shops, they don't have to staff the Crown Bay shops. Havensight is also easier to get into and out of. You will be fortunate to be there with only 2 ships in port.

I am on the Royal Princess sailing on January 5th and will be in St. Thomas on the 8th. I noticed we are docking at Havensight which we prefer as its closer to downtown, shopping, etc. The following week, the Royal docks at Crown Bay. Could this change and could we wake up in CB instead, I really hope not since I've booked with a local tour company. Major snowstorm here today and I can't wait to away from these freezing temperatures. :)

Probably just a simple cost/operational decision. I would say that if there are only two ships in port, the Port of St. Thomas would want to operate only the one pier and not have to bring in staff to operate the two piers. The store operators also only have to open up the Havensight shops, they don't have to staff the Crown Bay shops. Havensight is also easier to get into and out of. You will be fortunate to be there with only 2 ships in port.

The Royal has been alternating docking locations. I just read an article online that lcoal government has granted a rent reprieve to the shops in Havensight because business has been significantly off. They partially blame it on the more upscale ships docking at Crown Bay and the Norwegian and Carnival passengers not spending as much money don't shoot me - just reporting what I read). IT's possible that berth assignments may be being altered to help out the shops. The reason the Royal alternates is because the Allure/Oasis is also in port.

They partially blame it on the more upscale ships docking at Crown Bay and the Norwegian and Carnival passengers not spending as much money don't shoot me - just reporting what I read)..

Less business might also be the result of passengers stopping at St. Thomas over and over again. Been there, done that syndrome. We have noticed many don't ever leave the ship.

You're probably right. I was on Celebrity this past January and docked in St. Thomas. Did not buy a thing at any of the stores at Havensight Mall. On the other hand, am sailing in a few weeks on the Royal with a friend who has never cruised so she'll be doing a lot of port shopping .

Less business might also be the result of passengers stopping at St. Thomas over and over again. Been there, done that syndrome. We have noticed many don't ever leave the ship.

I was on the Royal Thanksgiving week and we docked at Havensight. From what we were told the decision is made based on what ships were in port. The Allure and one of the larger Carnival ships were at the Crown dock, because of getting into the channel.

The Epic and the Crown were docked at Havensight with us, there are several we sights that list what ships are in port and where they dock.

Hope this helps :)

You really won't know until you get there. We were scheduled on a B2B for Crown Bay for both (per port web site) but ended up doing Crown Bay once and Havensite the other.

A bartender even mentioned that they had always docked at Crown Bay on other sailing.

Bottom line: Hard to absolutely know in advance.

We don't care ... either is fine with us. :)

LuLu

~~~~