Royal vs. Carnival

Scottohiocpa

We just got back from a 3 day on the Enchantment. It was fun except for not being contacted when a family member was hospitalized (there is another thread on this).

I don't know if this cruise was typical for RCL since it was only a 3 day and they had cut the price so low that half the boat was comprised of locals who paid as little as $99 for an outside cabin.

Here are some comparisons on various parts of the cruise:

RCL stop at COCO CAY vs. CCL stop in Freeport - Wow! COCO CAY was awesome! Great beaches, great snokeling, good lunch. Better than Freeport for sure. Point to RCL.

Comedy - RCL had 1 comedian - Jim Macdonald - on the 3rd night at 11:30pm. Our last CCL cruise had at least 2 every night, 1 for family and 1 for adult. Point to CCL.

Shows - RCL used 10 dancers and 2 singers. CCL had 20 dancers and 4 singers. RCL's orchestra was 3 guys. CCL's orchestra was at least 6. RCL costumes and sets were far below those on Carnival. Despite the differences, both were entertaining. RCL had 1 show on 1 night, Carnival has 2 shows on most nights. Point to CCL.

Soda card - RCL has Freestyle soda machines, and you can get canned soda. CCL only has cans. Machines were located in the atrium and in the Windjammer cafe. It was a little annoying that they roped off the cafe machines every morning so you couldn't use them, but you could get soda from the atrium machine. It was also annoying when the atrium machine ran out of flavors, but this only happened a few times. RCL wins this one.

Room size - RCL room was smaller and the bathroom was so small that a "plus size cruiser" probably couldn't fit. RCL made up for some of the smallnes by having really good storage spaces. Still, CCL wins this one.

Food - After reading these boards, I was hoping RCL dinners would be better that CCL. RCL had fewer selections to choose from, but both lines did a good job on everything except steak. CCL "flatiron" steak was one of worst steaks I have ever had and the RCL "strip steak" I had wasn't very tender either. I should have know not to order the RCL steak when the waiter warned me that I shouldn't order it Medium because it might make it tough. Well, he did warn me! This is a tie.

Events - It seemed like RCL had only half as many events to attend, but maybe that was just because they don't spend every other minute telling you not to miss the next fabulous thing happening in the........ This one could go either way, depending on whether you prefer a more laid back time or a non stop time. One of the reasons we decided to try RCL was we have seen one too many "hairy chest" contest on CCL (like one where the men put on dresses and had to pretend they were women???? More strange than entertaining)

Drinks - Prices seemed higher on RCL and the selections were more old fashioned than CCL. It seemed like there was a lot less drinking on RCL.

Food offerings other than the dining room - CCL KILLED RCL here. CCL has 24 hour Pizza, a larger deli selection, Asian made to order, and 2x the variety of buffet choices. CCL's dessert tables have way more choices. The RCL buffet only offered the exact same 3 or 4 choices that the main dining room offered. Finally, there is warm chocolate melting cake on CCL.

Both lines had friendly staff and both did a great job cleaning.

A lot of these things can vary cruise to cruise, so this may not be typical of every CCL or every RCL sailing.

Thanks for your comparison. We are sailing on Enchantment next summer for the 1st time. We are trying to go with an open mind since it's one of Royal's oldest and smallest ships. Reading your comparison, it seems like the experience will be quite different than our last Royal cruise aboard the Allure, where just entertainment and dining options (24 different places) kept us in a state of amazement for a week.

The short cheapie cruises to the Bahamas, whether on Carnival or Royal, don't seem to represent the best that each cruise line has to offer. That much we've learned so far.

Edited by Tapi

Thank you for your fair comparison. It is very informative. For the record, in your comparison of the stage shows, some of Carnival's ships (Breeze, Sunshine, Conquest, Glory, Ecstasy, and maybe a couple others) do not have any live music for their shows. 0 orchestra members. Those ships are also down to 8 or fewer performers who dance and sing/lip-sync, and only 30 minute shows. But it is good to hear exactly what RCI has on that ship. I like hearing those details of what other cruiseline's ships have. It sounds like Carnival gets the point on that for about 2/3 of their ships, but maybe a tie when compared to these ships that I mentioned.

We just got back from a 3 day on the Enchantment. It was fun except for not being contacted when a family member was hospitalized (there is another thread on this).

I don't know if this cruise was typical for RCL since it was only a 3 day and they had cut the price so low that half the boat was comprised of locals who paid as little as $99 for an outside cabin.

RCL stop at COCO CAY vs. CCL stop in Freeport - Wow! COCO CAY was awesome! Great beaches, great snokeling, good lunch. Better than Freeport for sure. Point to RCL.

Comedy - RCL had 1 comedian - Jim Macdonald - on the 3rd night at 11:30pm. Our last CCL cruise had at least 2 every night, 1 for family and 1 for adult. Point to CCL.

Shows - RCL used 10 dancers and 2 singers. CCL had 20 dancers and 4 singers. RCL's orchestra was 3 guys. CCL's orchestra was at least 6. RCL costumes and sets were far below those on Carnival. Despite the differences, both were entertaining. RCL had 1 show on 1 night, Carnival has 2 shows on most nights. Point to CCL.

Room size - RCL room was smaller and the bathroom was so small that a "plus size cruiser" probably couldn't fit. RCL made up for some of the smallnes by having really good storage spaces. Still, CCL wins this one.

Food - After reading these boards, I was hoping RCL dinners would be better that CCL. RCL had fewer selections to choose from, but both lines did a good job on everything except steak. CCL "flatiron" steak was one of worst steaks I have ever had and the RCL "strip steak" I had wasn't very tender either. I should have know not to order the RCL steak when the waiter warned me that I shouldn't order it Medium because it might make it tough. Well, he did warn me! This is a tie.

Events - It seemed like RCL had only half as many events to attend, but maybe that was just because they don't spend every other minute telling you not to miss the next fabulous thing happening in the........ This one could go either way, depending on whether you prefer a more laid back time or a non stop time. One of the reasons we decided to try RCL was we have seen one too many "hairy chest" contest on CCL (like one where the men put on dresses and had to pretend they were women???? More strange than entertaining)

Drinks - Prices seemed higher on RCL and the selections were more old fashioned than CCL. It seemed like there was a lot less drinking on RCL.

Food offerings other than the dining room - CCL KILLED RCL here. CCL has 24 hour Pizza, a larger deli selection, Asian made to order, and 2x the variety of buffet choices. CCL's dessert tables have way more choices. The RCL buffet only offered the exact same 3 or 4 choices that the main dining room offered. Finally, there is warm chocolate melting cake on CCL.

A lot of these things can vary cruise to cruise, so this may not be typical of every CCL or every RCL sailing.

You've got to compare apples to apples first of all.

Totally agree that Carnival beats RCL with their comedians. Problem is the comedians are often the nights entertainment on Carnival. You are wrong when you say the Carnival has comedians every night. They don't, at least on the ships I've been on in the last 2 years.

The entertainment I've see on RCL almost always surpasses Carnival on equal length cruises of 7+ nights.

Food offerings? Again, RCL's larger Voyager class up has most if not all that you said they didn't have on Enchantment

I've gone to Lido at night (after 11) on Carnival and walked right back out. Can't believe some think it's great. If you don't get there by 11 when the sandwich place closes you're out of luck unless you want to wait for pizza.

Carnival has 24 hr pizza, but you have to wait for it. Rcl has a place on the promenade that is open 24 hrs for light snack.

Room size? Again more comparable to like size ships

Shows? 2 shows on most nights Carnival? Like what? Never seen that. RCL often does have 2. Carnival considers a show on 1 night as a talent competition among guests

Drink prices? Carnival charges less for wine, champagne cocktails and others, but more for beer and some mixed drinks.

Plenty more. Just go on a longer cruise on a Voyager or larger ship and it will be night and day better than the Enchantmenent

The "shows" comparison is totally off.

RCCL still has production shows wth professional singers and dancers.

On our recent Glory cruise, we walked out on the show...loud music to cover the poor vocals of a few performers who were attempting to double as both singers and dancers. There were no stage sets, but rather computer generated background images. Ugh!

On RCCL's Oasis and Allure the entertainment is spectacular!! Broadway show, ice skating show, Aquatheater show and others I can't think to name.

Also on those two ships they have a comedy theater with several shows a night.

I still like the variety of food on the Carnival ship better than RCCL.

Just my opinion.

You've got to compare apples to apples first of all.

Totally agree that Carnival beats RCL with their comedians. Problem is the comedians are often the nights entertainment on Carnival. You are wrong when you say the Carnival has comedians every night. They don't, at least on the ships I've been on in the last 2 years.

The entertainment I've see on RCL almost always surpasses Carnival on equal length cruises of 7+ nights.

Food offerings? Again, RCL's larger Voyager class up has most if not all that you said they didn't have on Enchantment

I've gone to Lido at night (after 11) on Carnival and walked right back out. Can't believe some think it's great. If you don't get there by 11 when the sandwich place closes you're out of luck unless you want to wait for pizza.

Carnival has 24 hr pizza, but you have to wait for it. Rcl has a place on the promenade that is open 24 hrs for light snack.

Room size? Again more comparable to like size ships

Shows? 2 shows on most nights Carnival? Like what? Never seen that. RCL often does have 2. Carnival considers a show on 1 night as a talent competition among guests

Drink prices? Carnival charges less for wine, champagne cocktails and others, but more for beer and some mixed drinks.

Plenty more. Just go on a longer cruise on a Voyager or larger ship and it will be night and day better than the Enchantmenent

Couldn't agree more with you! have been on 2 Carnival cruises in September (Breeze and Conquest) and a 2 weeks Royal Caribbean Transatlantic cruise that ended last week. Royal beats Carnival hands down in everything! The only thing I liked better on the Breeze was Fahrenheit 555 in comparison to Chops.

We are considering RCL too. We just got off the Sunshine and liked it but it wasn't great. I think after 8 cruises we want to try something different. We are considering the Jewel of the Seas, has anyone been on that? I know it is an older, smaller ship and we like the newer, larger ones, but I really like to itinerary. We would like the Allure or the Oasis but we have been to those ports a bunch of times now so would like to try something new. Any information will be appreciated. Thanks

Couldn't agree more with you! have been on 2 Carnival cruises in September (Breeze and Conquest) and a 2 weeks Royal Caribbean Transatlantic cruise that ended last week. Royal beats Carnival hands down in everything! The only thing I liked better on the Breeze was Fahrenheit 555 in comparison to Chops.

Except that RCCL costs 40% more for a comparable cabin.

We would like the Allure or the Oasis but we have been to those ports a bunch of times now so would like to try something new. Any information will be appreciated. Thanks

For Oasis and Allure, it is all about the ship, not the ports (they are a bonus).

We've been on Oasis three times and you will really enjoy

1. Broadway quality presentation of Hairspray

2. Fantastic ice show

3. Cirque d'Soleil type show in theatre

4. High diving and aquatics show

5. Comedy club

6. Headliner show

You will have something special to do every day and about a dozen different eating venues, the majority being free.

You will enjoy your RCCL experience!

Edited by yogimax

I had to look at the date of this post several times to make sure I wasn't crazy.

What Carnival ship are you sailing on that has 20 dancers and 6 orchestra members? Or even any orchestra at all???

I will say that I do prefer Carnival's food to Royal's. The 24hr pizza/and ice cream and the varied selection on the Lido cannot be beat.

Edited by TheTravelista

We are considering RCL too. We just got off the Sunshine and liked it but it wasn't great. I think after 8 cruises we want to try something different. We are considering the Jewel of the Seas, has anyone been on that? I know it is an older, smaller ship and we like the newer, larger ones, but I really like to itinerary. We would like the Allure or the Oasis but we have been to those ports a bunch of times now so would like to try something new. Any information will be appreciated. Thanks

The Jewel is a Radiance class ship. We were on the Radiance and to this day it is still my favourite ship. I really wish RCI had patterned some of its newer ships on the Radiance class. They are simply the most beautiful ship they have. You'll enjoy the ship, many people feel the way I do about this class.

Did you just say you can get a RCCL cruise for the same price or cheaper!

I thought CCL cut back on performers and you are saying they have more? Not disbuting this but I am curious. As far as the custumes, that is a very personal taste, because CCL is more Las Vegas style and RCCL is more family friendly custumes.

Soda card - RCL has Freestyle soda machines, and you can get canned soda. CCL only has cans. Machines were located in the atrium and in the Windjammer cafe. It was a little annoying that they roped off the cafe machines every morning so you couldn't use them, but you could get soda from the atrium machine. It was also annoying when the atrium machine an out of flavors, but this only happened a few times. RCL wins this one.

On the flip side, RCCL has more general passenger space than CCL. It is a desigh choice.

Guess you did not see the new Carnival menu yet? I agree the food is equal quality.

Beer is cheaper and I'm not quite sure what is "old fashioned". The menu is filled with frozen tropical drinks. RCCL just list more items that CCL does not, but is still available.

More people eat in the MDR on RCCL ships, and the ephasis on the buffet is just an side place to eat. The layout of the buffet is designed so that you don't wait in extreme lines like CCL. So the downside, more stations, less food choices.

The larger ships, are so much different on RCCL, so making a judgement on a 3 day trip, is not typical of RCCL!!!!