Unfortunately chose the Dawn...be warned!

Guns-N-Gars

Embarkation issues aside, there seems to be an “uptick” in negative opinions about the Dawn. Figuring out if those opinions are being skewed because of the embarkation issues is a tough thing to do. I have sailed on the Dawn and had a great cruise. Negative reviews usually do not deter me, however I am seriously considering looking at the Breakaway for a Bermuda cruise this spring or fall. There is more at stake than just my cruise experience, I will be traveling with 2 other couples who have never cruised before. The ease of cruising from our home port vs. the extra travel and cost of going out of NYC made the Dawn a “no brainer” choice. Now I am having second thoughts. Not just on the OP’s comments but comments in total recently!

We are in the same boat (pardon the pun) and have chosen to drive the 3hrs to NYC and pay the $25/day parking (2 blocks away) instead of just having family bring us in town. We just got off Breakaway and its night and day compared to the Dawn. Much more to do, more places to relax and a larger ship so if you hit a storm, its much more calm. I would NEVER bring first timers on the Dawn to Bermuda (I've told many people not to do it for their first, they ignored me and said they'll never cruise again because of rough weather). If you like them and want them to cruise again, take the Breakaway.

:eek:

We are in the same boat (pardon the pun) and have chosen to drive the 3hrs to NYC and pay the $25/day parking (2 blocks away) instead of just having family bring us in town. We just got off Breakaway and its night and day compared to the Dawn. Much more to do, more places to relax and a larger ship so if you hit a storm, its much more calm. I would NEVER bring first timers on the Dawn to Bermuda (I've told many people not to do it for their first, they ignored me and said they'll never cruise again because of rough weather). If you like them and want them to cruise again, take the Breakaway.

Just about to board the Dawn today! Help! Seen some really bad reviews.:confused:

At least there will be no turkey to cook, or washing up to do!!:D

I will post my impressions once we return...that is, if Im not still being seasick, or traumatised from all the other awful things that folk think happen on the Dawn. Should have booked with Crystal or Silversea, but they get bad press too.

Oh, sure! There you go being calm and considerate and thinking it through when utter annoyance, entitlement, and irrationality would suffice.

I wonder if the toilet was malfunctioning because they had 17 people in their stateroom?

Toilet issues are a pain in the butt. It's their doody (Duty) to fix it quickly.

Just about to board the Dawn today! Help! Seen some really bad reviews.:confused:

I will post my impressions once we return...that is, if Im not still being seasick, or traumatised from all the other awful things that folk think happen on the Dawn. Should have booked with Crystal or Silversea, but they get bad press too.

Suck it up (haha) and have a great time! Open mind open heart open to good times! Merry Christmas!

I've spent 8 weeks on the Dawn over the last 4 years and can tell you for certain, the new crew is horrible compared to previous crews. I don't know if they pulled everyone who liked their job and sent them onto the Breakaway, but half of the people we dealt with on our last cruise were either rude or inept. The mechanical issues also seem to be getting exponentially worse as time goes on. If it was the same as it was a couple years ago, we would love it still. Its just a shame that a bad crew and old ship can taint a customers thoughts about an entire line for life.

LMAO.........8 weeks? you must be kidding, why would you keep going back if it was that bad?:eek::rolleyes:

We cruised on the Dawn over Christmas last year and had a blast! I wish I were boarding with you today! Have a fantastic cruise!

LMAO.........8 weeks? you must be kidding, why would you keep going back if it was that bad?:eek::rolleyes:

The first few cruises were good, the second to last one was just ok and the last one was bad. They last 2 were 2 week repos. We had the next 2 week repo already booked and we were planning on cancelling unless they changed crew out and got great reviews before final payment. We wouldn't have even done the last repo because the second to last wasn't worth the money to us, but we cruise with a large group of friends who love the itinerary. I liken it to camping, its about spending time with friends than the experience you have. Unfortunately last time wasn't even as good as camping between the very hit or miss food, concierge that makes her own rules about in suite dining and constant flooding of bathrooms on the ship (in room and public areas). For the money we normally spend, we could have a much better vacation elsewhere (either another NCL ship, another cruise line or a land based vaca). Unlike most other people who complain but stick around, we are not.

I took my first cruise, in many years, last March on the Jewel. Had a fabulous time, but had very rough seas the last two days and got sea sick. It was so bad that I really wasn't sure if I'd cruise again. Just like childbirth, after time, I remember the good times instead of those last two days. I'm booked on the Breakaway in April and the Dawn in September. Now, I'm worried about the Dawn. We'll be leaving out of Boston for Bermuda. Are the seas that bad? I live in Mass and booked this so I don't have to fly or drive to NY for both cruises. I don't mind a smaller ship. I loved the Jewel. I'm just worried about rough seas and knowing that the smaller ship makes me feel it so much more.

I took my first cruise, in many years, last March on the Jewel. Had a fabulous time, but had very rough seas the last two days and got sea sick. It was so bad that I really wasn't sure if I'd cruise again. Just like childbirth, after time, I remember the good times instead of those last two days. I'm booked on the Breakaway in April and the Dawn in September. Now, I'm worried about the Dawn. We'll be leaving out of Boston for Bermuda. Are the seas that bad? I live in Mass and booked this so I don't have to fly or drive to NY for both cruises. I don't mind a smaller ship. I loved the Jewel. I'm just worried about rough seas and knowing that the smaller ship makes me feel it so much more.

I personally don't think it is worth the worry. I have shipped to Bermuda three times in the past 25 years and it is what it is. You have good weather or you don't. I cruised there in Nov. 2007 one time a day after a monster tropical storm. It was rough and I am sure folks got sea sick, the wife and I didn't. I am not really suseptible to sea sickness, but I have heard that if you are start the dramamine a day or two prior to your cruise. Once you get it, it is hard to kick it. I do get sick on roundie round kid rides at the fair (eg. cup and saucer) and I know how misserable that is and how it ruins at least the rest of the day.

The Dawn is a pretty stable ship. The Princess Grand Class (Star Princess and Carribean Princess also another class the Sappire Princess) ships move around a lot more from what I have experienced. And they are a lot larger ships.

The seas usually aren't that bad. It is wobbly all sea days on those trips but nothing too bad. We've had one bad day each trip there where we just hung out in bed because we felt sea sick. One night we ventured out to see what was hoping on and the front of the ship was moving about 2-3' up and down. It was really fun to walk around, jump and fall 5-6'. I would never get a room in the front just in case.

I have to say when we were on the Dawn the food was the best I have ever had on an NCL ship. However I know things can change and that was a long time ago we were aboard her. i do have to say, if I could find my review of the Dawn still here on CC, my biggest complaint was the plumbing as well. Our hallway had leaks everywhere. It was kind of gross.

If you are prone to seasickness, start taking Bonine, according to the directions. I use it for cruise ships, and small boats as well.

I also recommend booking a midship cabin on a lower deck. You will feel less motion, than on higher decks. Last year, we were in a forward suite on deck 12. Although we felt motion, we were fine.

The Dawn is a good ship, and we enjoyed our Bermuda and repo cruises aboard her. I live in Massachusetts and see no reason to drive or train to New York, just to cruise to Bermuda.

Other than premium cruise lines like Regent, Seabourn, Oceana, Hapaig Loyd and their like (not Princess, RCCL, Cunard, Carnival, NCL, Disney, HAL and other similar), you can find these negative reviews for each and every ship. There are thousands of different folks having different experiences on each ship per week. Some great, some not so great.

I have been on the DAWN in the past. I had a blast on that cruise. In fact I have been stuck on NCL since. That cruise I went on had a scathing review from someone else. The wife and I looked at each other and said, "Were they on the same ship as us?"

In fact ever cruise ship I have been on I read bad reviews about prior to the trip. At first they made me nervous. Now I read them and hope I don't have those bad experiences.

NCL as with the other cruise lines do care about their clientel. Repeat customers are what keeps the cruiselines in such big business. If real and not imagined problems are brought to attention they will try to correct it.

I am sailing on the DAWN again in May-June, regardless of this review, I am very much looking forward to it.

Jon

Before booking the Dawn, I read and re-read reviews of dozens of ships. We decided on the Dawn because we liked the itinerary. We were wary of all the negative comments, though.

We just got off her yesterday after a thoroughly enjoyable week. The staff we met were all polite and helpful. The food was plentiful and tasty. We didn't want for something to do. The spa was terrific. The shows were generally good, although a couple of them were so-so (that's out of 7 shows!). The ship was clean (except for a couple of bathrooms after a mob showed up post-show). The Dawn shows some wear here and there, but we found her to be in pretty good shape!! I'll write a formal review later, but as Jon noted, you can find positive and negative reviews on every cruise ship afloat! Take all with a grain of salt and find the ship that best suits your interests!!

For us, we'd book the Dawn again without hesitation!!

Before booking the Dawn, I read and re-read reviews of dozens of ships. We decided on the Dawn because we liked the itinerary. We were wary of all the negative comments, though.

We just got off her yesterday after a thoroughly enjoyable week. The staff we met were all polite and helpful. The food was plentiful and tasty. We didn't want for something to do. The spa was terrific. The shows were generally good, although a couple of them were so-so (that's out of 7 shows!). The ship was clean (except for a couple of bathrooms after a mob showed up post-show). The Dawn shows some wear here and there, but we found her to be in pretty good shape!! I'll write a formal review later, but as Jon noted, you can find positive and negative reviews on every cruise ship afloat! Take all with a grain of salt and find the ship that best suits your interests!!

For us, we'd book the Dawn again without hesitation!!

We also got off of the Dawn yesterday and booked her mainly for the itinerary. Other than the weather the first few days we had a pretty good cruise. I agree, the ship has some wear, but its an older ship and did not bother us. However, as far as the food, we thought it was mediocre at best. Although we did not go hungry and probably gained a few pounds, I thought Carnival had better food and selections. Of course that is just my opinion.

I am not going to debate/argue the validity of any of your claims but I do have one question. I see that you did actually get on your roll call once a few months before your cruise - did you go to the Meet & Greet? I'm going to guess that you didn't. Going is what could have made a huge difference in you & your group's experience. Because there, you would have received a card with the phone numbers of all the higher ups - the HD, F&BD, Director of Housekeeping, etc. Fortunately, I've never needed their numbers - but I always have them in case of any of the experiences you had, I would not only know who to contact but how.

Biggest bunch of contrite **** ever. There should be no reason to complain, and if there is it should be just as easy for anyone, meet and greet or not.

Biggest bunch of contrite **** ever. There should be no reason to complain, and if there is it should be just as easy for anyone, meet and greet or not.

I completely agree. You shouldn't have to be part of a group, roll call or forum to have a good vacation

It is just as easy, one just probably wouldn't do it since they haven't heard the pleads to do so at the M&G. All the officers are available to reach by phone even for those not having attended to M&G - attending and hearing their desire for customer service just lowers the threshold of contacting the higher-ups a lot (at least in my experience).

It is just as easy, one just probably wouldn't do it since they haven't heard the pleads to do so at the M&G. All the officers are available to reach by phone even for those not having attended to M&G - attending and hearing their desire for customer service just lowers the threshold of contacting the higher-ups a lot (at least in my experience).

Agree!

Just now getting on CC to catch up (Dec. 8th cruise on the Dawn) I am working on a review, and just a quick note - we had a great time. NO hiccups at all for us. The staff were all awesome, most we met even remembered our names. We ate in the MDR every night, Cagney's for breakfast and most lunches. I was sea sick a little, but that isn't anyone's fault! Hubby made a game to see if he could find any restroom dirty - never could find one that wasn't spotless. Your cruise is what you make of it, IMO. Any day on a ship beats being at home. :D

I was on the Breakaway to Bermuda in May and the seas were a little rough the first two days out. The second night we had a wonderful thunderstorm and I quite enjoyed sitting out on my balcony and watching the lightning at sea. It was very cool. :cool: The next morning the sun was shining and the sea was as smooth as glass the rest of the trip. Or maybe I was too drunk to give a damn...

I am not going to debate/argue the validity of any of your claims but I do have one question. I see that you did actually get on your roll call once a few months before your cruise - did you go to the Meet & Greet? I'm going to guess that you didn't. Going is what could have made a huge difference in you & your group's experience. Because there, you would have received a card with the phone numbers of all the higher ups - the HD, F&BD, Director of Housekeeping, etc. Fortunately, I've never needed their numbers - but I always have them in case of any of the experiences you had, I would not only know who to contact but how.

If I remember correctly on all of my last cruises they show the senior staff and their phone extensions on the screen at least the first few days. So it always sounds nice as if the CC M&G gets some special direct access to the officers other guests don't it is just not true.

No worries------I have the feeling that you'll post & tell us that the cruise was good. Look for the goodness, and you'll find it.

Exactly: we just got off the Sun, yes, like the Dawn, an older ship and yes, there are some signs of wear and tear, but go with the right attitude, know what to expect and everything should be fine. If there were serious problems with NCL or the Dawn, why would so many keep rebooking?