Unfortunately chose the Dawn...be warned!

Guns-N-Gars

If things start to go this wrong on any of my cruises I contact the HD immediately. If not him then the concierge. That usually resolves the issue(s) and we get back to smooth sailing. Customer service desk gets one chance to fix it then I go to the top.

Relax OP, maybe NCL will send you a plate of those magic chocolate covered strawberries and everything will be fixed.......

(note the extreme saracasm)

If things start to go this wrong on any of my cruises I contact the HD immediately. Customer service desk gets one chance to fix it then I go to the top.

I think that is very wise advice. I deleted the concierge when I quoted you because that would only benefit those in a suite. But glad they are able to help those in a suite with issues as well.

On a personal note in 3 cruises, 2 with NCL and 1 with Carnival. I have never found the customer service desk very helpful with anything more than printing out my on board account. Luckily I have had no issues that I have had to take above the manager of the customer service desk. Or like you I would take the few minutes it takes to contact the HD to get my problem resolved to my satisfaction.

I love NCL, but i think the Dawn is a cursed ship.

We have sailed on her twice, once we were hit by a rogue wave in 2005 and then we were stranded with no power floating at sea over Thanksgiving a few years ago.

Both times we made the best of a bad situation and still had a great time, but I do really think the ship is cursed.

It was not cursed for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Ok I get it. The Darn Dawn had a lot of fantastic cruises. Been there and done that. Almost every post echoes that. But how many posters that were on the cruises that were affected that had all the problems posted positive comments? Were there many positive comments? . . .

I don't know an exact number to offer for your inquiry, and won't venture to guess, but I do know of at least one passenger who was on that very first affected sailing, and was one of the first to post information about the Tampa challenges.

That passenger was definitely torqued about those final hours in line, and the lack of proper onboard communication regarding the cause/resolve.

That passenger has posted several times that the vast majority of the cruise week was a very enjoyable sailing, and he'd readily repeat the experience.

Although that passenger is a current fan of NCL, he's definitely not above calling it like it is . . . such as earlier hoping the Cruise Consultants onboard Norwegian Breakaway would fall overboard and be eaten by sharks with dull teeth (so that the painful experience would be longer).

But, Yes, there are those who've recently been onboard Norwegian Dawn out of Tampa who can look back on the total experience and say, "Wow, I had a great cruise, with fun fellow passengers, some delicious food, quality live entertainment, and some of the most resilient crew members encountered on any ship."

Edited by DGP1111
Grammar

I couldn't help but post my unnecessary 2 cents... I'll be on the Dawn at the end of February. I've cruised twice now and reviews like this no longer make me nervous, they're too extreme to be realistic. I put much more credence into objective reviews that list the good AND the bad.

While I hope for the best, I expect there will be some annoyances over the course of 7 days! (Heaven knows WHAT I'll do if I can't find a whole slice of bacon!!). I'm a bit nervous about the embarkation/disembarkation issues in Tampa, but at least I'll be mentally prepared and I'm able to stay updated on the situation through these boards.

Bottom line, I wouldn't let any of the items listed in the OP's review ruin my week! :D

I couldn't help but post my unnecessary 2 cents... I'll be on the Dawn at the end of February. I've cruised twice now and reviews like this no longer make me nervous, they're too extreme to be realistic. I put much more credence into objective reviews that list the good AND the bad.

While I hope for the best, I expect there will be some annoyances over the course of 7 days! (Heaven knows WHAT I'll do if I can't find a whole slice of bacon!!). I'm a bit nervous about the embarkation/disembarkation issues in Tampa, but at least I'll be mentally prepared and I'm able to stay updated on the situation through these boards.

Bottom line, I wouldn't let any of the items listed in the OP's review ruin my week! :D

Hope you have an Excellent cruise!

My family (17 total) and I sailed on the Dawn for the Thanksgiving cruise this year. It was our first cruise with Norwegian, and based on this experience, will be our last. It was an unmitigated disaster from start to finish.

Things got off to a bad start due to the utter failure that occurred during embarkation. I understand this topic has been discussed in other threads, so I won't expound on the subject, but the cruise terminal personnel and the cruise ship personnel continually told different stories of what went wrong. It would have been different if they had been honest, or possibly had even made some sort of "complimentary drink" available, but no....just the lies.

From there , things only got worse. The toilet in our stateroom didn't flush properly for six of the seven days. It was reported to guest services a minimum of three times a day. No apology. No offer to move us to a different cabin. Just a comment that they would get the information to the appropriate department.

We made the mistake of paying to go to the La Cuccina restaurant for the Jazz Brunch. The food, when it finally arrived after roughly 40 minutes, was cold. When it was brought to the server's attention, the response was "What do you want me to do about it".

Breakfast at the Garden Cafe was also poor. It was impossible to find a working coffee machine. The buffet was very poorly maintained. (If you wanted bacon, you had better hope you liked crumbs instead of strips)

Then there's the Venetian main dining room. The hostess was just flat out rude (Didn't have the temperment for the job). Service was bad. It was nearly impossible to even get a refill on a glass of water. We would e seated around 5:30PM and the service was so slow, we had to scramble to make 8:30PM shows.

During the comedian's performance, the people in the tech booth were having an extremely loud, disruptive conversation. Several people tried, unsuccessfully to get them to be quiet (they were wearing headphones).

During the shows, which were excellent, the sound mix was horrible. I have mixed sound for everything from live bands to orchestras to choral concerts and I know it isn't that difficult to get it right. I observed people actually plugging their ears or getting up and leaving because it was so poorly engineered.

Three of the four shore excursions we booked were cancelled due to weather. While I realize this isn't the ship's fault, when you ad it on top of the other issues, it magnifies.

This ship has a "Smoking Lounge" or "Cigar Lounge" if you prefer. On three different evenings, the smoke detector went off....for over an hour. The response from ship's personnel was "Stop smoking". Seriously? In the smoking lounge?

All of this was laid out to guest services prior to debarkation, which was another disaster. No apology was offered. This information has also been presented to Norwegian, both in the "post cruise survey" and in an email to corporate. I haven't heard a word from them.

We have sailed Royal Caribbean, Carnival, and family members have sailed on Disney. We have NEVER had this kind of experience on any other ship.

We all work hard for our money, and have a choice where to spend our vacation dollars. I would advise thinking very seriously about choosing to spend your money somewhere other than with Norwegian!

What was your cabin number?

IF, and it's a very big IF, I was the only one who had anything negative to say about the Dawn, your responses would be acceptable.

But you are right. Take the negative comments with a grain of salt. As I stated in my reply to Shelly, I certainly hope this was a fluke. I also do realize that the embarkation debacle started the cruise off on a very sour note. However, that doesn't excuse any of the other things that were observed, and it most certainly doesn't excuse the lack of ANY response from Norwegian.

Hey, I'm with ya. I cruised the Dawn last year and once was enough for me also. The list of things that went wrong was just too long, and most of it was service related problems that went ignored, including cleanliness issues with my room.

Ref your sound complaint, I also mentioned that in my review. I also noticed the shows didn't sound right.

My impression of the Dawn was, it might be good for first timers or people who only know NCL, but otherwise, it was very disappointing.

Thank you DPG1111. Finally someone that was not on the cruise understands. It doesn't matter how many times you were on NCL or the Darn Dawn, if you were not on the troubled voyages, you do not know how you would react!! I stated from the start that first and last impressions were the most remembered. No info from the brass means humongous confusion, and that's what it was. I never said that it did not have good points, any cruise is a good cruise. I guess that what bothers me the most is NCL not doing anything to inform us and all the posters talking about yesteryears cruises, no idea what they will say if it happens again, especially if they are not on an affected cruise.

Not sure why the need to know.....but the cabin was 9065.

I will reiterate once again. I hope this experience was a fluke. We chose NCL based on reputation and itinerary, both of which are excellent.

And for the person who made the comment about posting the good and the bad?

Dinner at the Brazilian steakhouse was excellent.

The musicians were top notch.

Our cabin steward was top notch.

Yes, there were good points. Unfortunately, for me and my family, the bad outweighed the good. And once again, a simple acknowledgement from NCL that they at least received the feedback or an apology that it wasn't up to their normal standards would certainly be appreciated, and I would hope, should be expected any time someone does have a negative experience.

Good cruising to you all!

you do not know how you would react!!

Sorry I will have to disagree with your there. You must not know yourself very well.

Trust me I've lived enough years to know how I would react in most situations. I just relate a certain situation that resembled something similar I've already experienced and voila, that's how I would react.

I find it awfully presumptuous to believe that no one knows how they would react in certain situations or if they have ever experienced something very similar. :rolleyes:

Not sure why the need to know.....but the cabin was 9065.

I will reiterate once again. I hope this experience was a fluke. We chose NCL based on reputation and itinerary, both of which are excellent.

And for the person who made the comment about posting the good and the bad?

Dinner at the Brazilian steakhouse was excellent.

The musicians were top notch.

Our cabin steward was top notch.

Yes, there were good points. Unfortunately, for me and my family, the bad outweighed the good. And once again, a simple acknowledgement from NCL that they at least received the feedback or an apology that it wasn't up to their normal standards would certainly be appreciated, and I would hope, should be expected any time someone does have a negative experience.

Good cruising to you all!

No reason to feel bad, our friends with the flooded cabin got nothing until I got involved. They went to customer service and basically did not get any results. I then "Found" the hotel director and explained the issue to him. He gave them a free dinner at a paid restaurant. The response was so slow during the leak the people next door were going to pull the fire alarm if nobody showed up very soon to shut off the water. That was a bad day, the rest of the trip was very good

The response was so slow during the leak the people next door were going to pull the fire alarm if nobody showed up very soon to shut off the water.

:D Well that certainly would have gotten someone's attention. On the other hand, I'm pretty sure all their fellow passengers may not have been too impressed at having the 'you-know-what' scared out of them, thinking there was a fire onboard :eek:. ;)

I believe he is warning people with an objective opinion. Cheerleaders don't count.

Where is the warning? Is he stating that the same exact thing will happen to you if you sail the Dawn. My personal experience (4 times, for 53 days,on the Dawn) says it will not happen.

As for your, and others, incessant use of cheerleader as a pejorative, it is getting really old. We are not allowed to call you, and others, what we think of you due to CC rules. It is too bad that the moderators let you get away with calling people names couched in a relatively benign term. And you know you are using it as an insult.

Am I a fan of NCL? Yes , very much so. Have I called out NCL for inadequacies? Yes, I have. If that makes me a cheerleader, then so be it. But, under your terms I am very far from a " cheerleader". Since you seem not be able find anything you like about the NCL product why do you continue to sail with them?

Thank you DPG1111. Finally someone that was not on the cruise understands. It doesn't matter how many times you were on NCL or the Darn Dawn, if you were not on the troubled voyages, you do not know how you would react!! I stated from the start that first and last impressions were the most remembered. No info from the brass means humongous confusion, and that's what it was. I never said that it did not have good points, any cruise is a good cruise. I guess that what bothers me the most is NCL not doing anything to inform us and all the posters talking about yesteryears cruises, no idea what they will say if it happens again, especially if they are not on an affected cruise.

As for the debarkation/embarkation problems. The first couple of weeks were reported on, in real time by other members of cruise critic. This was helpful for many of us who were heading to the next cruise.

When we met the HD at the M&G, he informed us that the problem was definitely the open loop. He told us that because of the debarkation backups, NCL was not insisting to empty the ship by 10AM. He told us that they would be encouraging those of us who were not needing to meet a flight or head out early to linger at breakfast, and even stay until 11:30 or noon if needed.

Then, we got an announcement that our cruise (Dec 8-15) did not have that open loop, we did not pick up the Brits in Cozumel. So, regular time debarkation (10AM) was back.

One of our fellow M&G members asked the HD if all of these problems with debarkation made it worth it to NCL to pick up passengers in Cozumel. The report was that it was only 70 passengers. His reply was that it was not his to say, that regardless, this is what was being sold, and they had to comply.

The debarkation went smoothly. We left the ship somewhere between 9 and 10AM and there was a free flowing line throughout the process of customs.

If we had been an open loop. Our plan was to stay on the ship as long as we could to avoid the standing in customs. But since it was a closed loop, things went smoothly. If it had been a long wait on the line for customs, it would have been a hardship for my husband, because he cannot stand for long periods. It becomes a health risk after a certain length of time.

I know others for whom this is also true. It is the mere effect of suffering, either from standing, or heat, or dehydration that worries many who face this in future cruises. It is not just to complain or gripe.

NCL knows that this is a risk to passengers. I am certain of it. But whether or not the next open loop will be better for debarkation is to be seen.

As for the embarkation on Dec 8, we did have a loop di loop line outside the terminal when we arrived (at approximately 1:45 PM) but it was moving, and they did have servers handing out water constantly. The sun was hot, and we were worried for the length we might have to wait, but all in all, it was only about 20 minutes at most. When you approached the entry, they broke the one line into two lines and alternated the feed into the building. Once inside, the security folks did their best to assist and move you through.

Inside the terminal there were the usual loop di loop sections, filling out health questionaires, etc....but once you checked in, you were free to board.

Our embarkation happened during the return of the previous cruise which was an open loop. So, something seemed to be working better. Of course, NCL had done a thorough job of calling passengers on the Dec 8 cruise to alert them to arrive after 1 PM. We did, and I know others around us reported that they waited to arrive also.

We were in our cabin sometime after 2:30, in plenty of time to grab a quick bite at the Bimini Bar and head off to muster.

Each embarkation and debarkation can be so different. It isn't just the open loop that can cause delays and lines. If customs calls inspections or has other legal matters to clear up, it falls on everyone.

Oh, we left port after 7PM due to a several things....US Health came on board for the inspection (Dawn received a 98% rating, I believe), hip hooray! And also, the fuel barge didn't bring enough fuel....stunning to the captain and crew. So, when that happened, we missed our spot on line for sailing (something to do with narrow exitway of the port area).

But again, if one has to stand in line for long periods of time, we do feel for you. As I know my husband just can't do it. It is really hard on his health.

I see you haven't been on CC too long but hopefully you know by now no bad review goes unpunished. There will always be those who can't quite handle negative comments about their favorite cruise line.

A few years ago, RCI's Radiance of the Seas had a major plumbing problem. Despite numerous bad reviews and countless incidents of sewage backing up into people's rooms over the course of several months, there were some who still defended RCI and flamed the reviewers.

Carnival Triumph - we all know what happened there, but the way some people made excuses for them was just bizarre...actually, mentally ill would be a better description.

Dawn has had its fair share of bad reviews the last couple years. I'm not saying people can't have a good cruise on Dawn, but there's no denying the trend.

OP, I am sorry your cruise didn't delight you. I really think this was a one-off (or should I say a few-off) and hope you try NCL again in the future, but would completely understand if you don't. Vacation dollars are very hard to come by. Tampa is my least favorite embarkation point.

We had a messy start to our Carnival cruise there over a decade ago. Not surprised to read they had issues. :cool:

I do know from talking to three crew members from the Philippines, while waiting for our tender back from Grand Cayman, that NCL gave their crew members three weeks off and assisted with their travel plans back and forth to the Philippines to deal with anything they needed to related to the hurricane Nov. 7th. I do think that disaster, plus the reassignment of crew members to the new Getaway may have affected not just your cruise, but other fall cruises.

Hope you have better travels in the future.

Thank you DPG1111. Finally someone that was not on the cruise understands. It doesn't matter how many times you were on NCL or the Darn Dawn, if you were not on the troubled voyages, you do not know how you would react!!

Appears that my earlier post was not read in the intended way. :o

The person ("that passenger") I was was referring to throughout was ME.

I was on an affected sailing, and I had an overall positive experience onbaord Norwegian Dawn, despite one totally piss-poor debarkation on that Sunday morning.

I'm sorry that my writing style was confusing. Totally my fault. :o

IF, and it's a very big IF, I was the only one who had anything negative to say about the Dawn, your responses would be acceptable.

But you are right. Take the negative comments with a grain of salt. As I stated in my reply to Shelly, I certainly hope this was a fluke. I also do realize that the embarkation debacle started the cruise off on a very sour note. However, that doesn't excuse any of the other things that were observed, and it most certainly doesn't excuse the lack of ANY response from Norwegian.

Hey Guns-N-Gars - I am very sorry to hear of your experience aboard the Dawn. I am thankful to report that our experience was exceptional aboard this ship. If you wrote a letter to NCL Corporate Headquarters, unfortunately, you need to give them a little more time to respond to your inquiry. Especially, due to the holiday season. I have found it takes about a 6 week turn around toget a response back. Best of Luck with resolution of this matter and I certainly hope this one experience does not keep you from cruising in the future!

Other than premium cruise lines like Regent, Seabourn, Oceana, Hapaig Loyd and their like (not Princess, RCCL, Cunard, Carnival, NCL, Disney, HAL and other similar), you can find these negative reviews for each and every ship. There are thousands of different folks having different experiences on each ship per week. Some great, some not so great.

I have been on the DAWN in the past. I had a blast on that cruise. In fact I have been stuck on NCL since. That cruise I went on had a scathing review from someone else. The wife and I looked at each other and said, "Were they on the same ship as us?"

In fact ever cruise ship I have been on I read bad reviews about prior to the trip. At first they made me nervous. Now I read them and hope I don't have those bad experiences.

NCL as with the other cruise lines do care about their clientel. Repeat customers are what keeps the cruiselines in such big business. If real and not imagined problems are brought to attention they will try to correct it.

I am sailing on the DAWN again in May-June, regardless of this review, I am very much looking forward to it.

Jon

Edited by NH Cruisers

My family (17 total) and I sailed on the Dawn for the Thanksgiving cruise this year. It was our first cruise with Norwegian, and based on this experience, will be our last. It was an unmitigated disaster from start to finish.

!

Wow....I don't blame you for being upset. That sounds awful. I have sailed NCL quite a few times, 3 times alone on that particular ship and it upsets me to hear of your bad experience. I urge you to write to NCL's corporate office in Miami with your comments.

That was not a good first impression. I'm sorry that your experience was that bad. I would have been upset as well.

Thanks Shelly.

I am hoping this was a fluke, but I have seen an awful lot of complaints about this ship. What is most disappointing is that NCL doesn't care enough to respond.

They ALWAYS respond. Did you write to corporate?? If so, I hope your letter was nicely worded and not a tirade (That doesn't ever get you a response from ANY company)

Oh man....we're booked on the Dawn for the last week of January.

That is why it is best for people to tell NCL when things are good OR bad. The feedback is important because if they know what's wrong, they can fix it so no one else has to experience the same.

Edited by halos

While I don't know that I'd be so dramatic about these issues (the toilet seems like the only one that might put me over the edge), I thank you for sharing your issues with us. If this were my first NCL cruise, I might not rush back either.

I've sailed the Dawn two years ago and had a pretty great experience. Nothing like you are sharing.

I wonder if the waiter in La Cucina just meant sincerely, "what would you like me to do?" For example, "would you like me to have them remake your food, or would you like to speak to a manager?" Situations like this might just be a case of language barriers and misunderstood inflection.

I've spent 8 weeks on the Dawn over the last 4 years and can tell you for certain, the new crew is horrible compared to previous crews. I don't know if they pulled everyone who liked their job and sent them onto the Breakaway, but half of the people we dealt with on our last cruise were either rude or inept. The mechanical issues also seem to be getting exponentially worse as time goes on. If it was the same as it was a couple years ago, we would love it still. Its just a shame that a bad crew and old ship can taint a customers thoughts about an entire line for life.