Caution on items in your luggage

luxury-lizard

[quote name='Beanb41']Could someone please explain to me when going on a cruise the need to bring a knife, swiss or otherwise? If scissors are required use the pair in ones first aid kit which one will probably need after cutting oneself with the Rambo hunting knife.[/QUOTE]

I grew up in a place where all gentlemen carried a small pen knife (not a Rambo knife but a small folding knife with a blade of maybe three or four inches). They are so convenient. Need to open a package? Particularly the shrink wrap kind? No problem. The opener is in your pocket. The uses are endless. I probably use mine 3 or 4 times a day. I miss my small knife while on a cruise.

When my wife and I married, she thought it strange that I carried a small knife. Now, she thinks it strange that all men do not carry one. I have to keep a keen eye on her or my knife disappears into her purse.

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="4"]Is there a US government agency similar to TSA that prepares or oversees these lists of prohibited items or do individual cruise lines prepare their own? I notice that Carnival allows both knives and scissors with blades under 4", while Celebrity allows only scissors. Perhaps the cruise lines should develop a consistent, industry-wide standard for passengers.[/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='Fouremco']Is there a US government agency similar to TSA that prepares or oversees these lists of prohibited items or do individual cruise lines prepare their own? I notice that Carnival allows both knives and scissors with blades under 4", while Celebrity allows only scissors. Perhaps the cruise lines should develop a consistent, industry-wide standard for passengers.[/QUOTE]I don't see the need for this. Every line should be free to set their own standards. (As long as they post them so potential passengers can make informed decisions.)

[quote name='gimletgal']But yet they sell the Ulu knives in the shops on board! :D I always laughed when I saw them, knowing that people had had them confiscated when re-boarding. Never made a whole lot of sense to me.[/quote]

[quote name='OCruisers'][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]Beth .... It never made any sense to me either? :confused:[/SIZE][/FONT]

[SIZE=3][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Wonder if you buy one, will you be allowed to take it back to your cabin with you? [/FONT][/SIZE]

[SIZE=3][FONT=Comic Sans MS]LuLu[/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][FONT=Comic Sans MS]~~~~ [/FONT][/SIZE][/quote]

When you buy the knives onboard, they will not let you have it to take back to stateroom. You have to claim later, along with the ones bought onshore. We bought both.;)

[quote name='gimletgal']But yet they sell the Ulu knives in the shops on board! :D I always laughed when I saw them, knowing that people had had them confiscated when re-boarding. Never made a whole lot of sense to me.[/quote][SIZE=3]How they are handled seems to vary depending on who is on duty at the time, like going through airport security.

On two different Alaska cruises we bought Ulu knives in port. We had expected them to be confiscated when we boarded the ship, but each time they went right through the x-ray machine and nobody said a word.

We just took them back to our cabin and packed them in our checked luggage for the trip home.

[/SIZE]

[quote name='RocketMan275']When my wife and I married, she thought it strange that I carried a small knife. Now, she thinks it strange that all men do not carry one. I have to keep a keen eye on her or my knife disappears into her purse.[/QUOTE]

So you just thought of a great idea for her next birthday.:D

[quote name='dkjretired']A bit of levity but up until a couple of years ago they had hand grenades on the list of prohibited items.[/quote]

A few years ago I was looking at everything that was prohibited on Delta. It included cattle prods and javelins, among other things that were specifically listed. I always wondered if that meant someone at some time had actually tried to board with a cattle prod, LOL. :D

[quote name='waterbug123']A few years ago I was looking at everything that was prohibited on Delta. It included cattle prods and javelins, among other things that were specifically listed. I always wondered if that meant someone at some time had actually tried to board with a cattle prod, LOL. :D[/QUOTE][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="4"]
I can't remember the minor details, but a few years ago there was (still is?) a prohibition against bringing ice skates as part of your carry on luggage and even international-level competitors were forced to check their skates. Then an airline lost the skates of someone on the way to a major competition. A little bit of common sense would have prevented a heart breaking incident.[/SIZE][/FONT]