Caution on items in your luggage

luxury-lizard

It happen to us last year when we sailed on Solstice for a Med Cruise. I had a wine bottle cork screw that I packed in the check luggage. I didn't see that bag till 10pm that first night. I was a little nervous my bag was lost and was a little causal for dinner :D in the MDR. This past October when we were on Reflection for another Med cruise, when I arrived in Rome Airport, I quickly took the wine bottle cork screw out of my airline checked bag and put it in my carry on bag. No problems.

Because one of the questions asked, did you or anyone else packed your bags, your husbands bag .....

I haven't been asked that question in years. I don't think they ask that anymore. Can anyone remember the last time that question was asked?

I haven't been asked that question in years. I don't think they ask that anymore. Can anyone remember the last time that question was asked?

I was asked that question at Heathrow in May 2012, before boarding a plane to the U.S. It's always made little sense to me; who would ever say yes?

I remember shortly after 9-11 having a pair of nail clippers, the kind with a semi-pointed device for cleaning fingernails attached, taken by airport security. I went on through and bought an identical nail clipper at one of the airport shops. Go figure

My sister had her nail clippers confiscated before boarding a ship shortly after 9/11. Then, like you, she proceeded to buy another pair in the ship's gift shop. I'm not sure what they thought she was going to do with a pair of nail clippers......threaten to cut the captain's nails too short if he didn't take us to Cuba?

Both flying down to FLL in February of this year and for the return flight in March. Still very much part of the routine questioning in my experience.

Maybe they just ask men more often because they think our wives pack for us! :)

In OAK on Thursday and CBR on Monday. Nearly every decent hotel offers packing and unpacking service!

My sister in law had a pair of plastic knitting needles confiscated when we boarded....and then later that day by the pool, we saw a woman knitting with a pair of metal ones!!!!!! She tried to get hers back as she was going to knit during the entire cruise...she was really bummed out.

Could someone please explain to me when going on a cruise the need to bring a knife, swiss or otherwise? If scissors are required use the pair in ones first aid kit which one will probably need after cutting oneself with the Rambo hunting knife.

[quote name='Beanb41']Could someone please explain to me when going on a cruise the need to bring a knife, swiss or otherwise? If scissors are required use the pair in ones first aid kit which one will probably need after cutting oneself with the Rambo hunting knife.[/quote]No need for the snide comment, as I don't think anyone on here other than you has discussed Rambo hunting knives (Celebrity has a four inch restriction on blades, and I would think that Rambo probably carries a bigger knife than that). I do carry a small sewing kit, but the only scissors I carry are the ones on my Swiss Army knife. It also has the only nail file I carry. And the only bottle opener. And the blade itself can be useful should I decide some cheese when I'm ashore. I could list more functions, but I think you get the idea. Could I carry each of these items separately? Yes, but it wouldn't be as convenient for me. I apologize that this causes you distress.

Thom

[quote name='TravelerThom']No need for the snide comment, as I don't think anyone on here other than you has discussed Rambo hunting knives (Celebrity has a four inch restriction on blades, and I would think that Rambo probably carries a bigger knife than that). I do carry a small sewing kit, but the only scissors I carry are the ones on my Swiss Army knife. It also has the only nail file I carry. And the only bottle opener. And the blade itself can be useful should I decide some cheese when I'm ashore. I could list more functions, but I think you get the idea. Could I carry each of these items separately? Yes, but it wouldn't be as convenient for me. I apologize that this causes you distress.

Thom[/QUOTE]
[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="4"]Let me add that I like to travel with a small Leatherman multi-tool. There are frequent opportunities to put a screw driver, pair of pliers, tweezers or other tools to good use. Oh yes, and the knife as well.

DW and I no longer dive, but I never travelled without my dive knife when on a dive holiday.[/SIZE][/FONT]

Port Everglades Security confiscated my waiter-style corkscrew from my carry-on, as I was boarding Equinox last spring. Since there was no corkscrew provided in our Skysuite, DH went to the GR desk to see about having it returned. Ship's security had no problem returning it to us -- but, it took them a while to find it. Turns out that the "Not Ready for TSA" port security agent had tagged my Pedrini corkscrew as a "folding knife" -- because of the 1/2-long foil cutter on it. :rolleyes:

a scissor does come in handy, you may never know when you need it, for example a broken toe, and old pair of shoes cut for a more comfortable walk, then suffer the whole cruise.

steak knife like said my host will cut my food if I ask them.

Ultility tool McGyver style, say no more

[quote name='Beanb41']Could someone please explain to me when going on a cruise the need to bring a knife, swiss or otherwise? If scissors are required use the pair in ones first aid kit which one will probably need after cutting oneself with the Rambo hunting knife.[/QUOTE]

You need the Rambo style knife to cut the meat if you have a problem with you dentures. Edited by keesar

[quote name='fishycomics']Because one of the questions asked, did you or anyone else packed your bags, your husbands bag and some one else did , you. a good cause to check..

guess if there was a cruise that asked leave everything home, we still bring stuff.[/QUOTE]

Never asked the question if he had packed or not. We were staying overnight in a hotel and I had packed it to leave. I always pack for our trips. He is not really efficient in packing (lol). In fact, before every trip, I go through his dopp bag because he will inevitably have his shaving lotion, nail clippers, large toothpaste tube, etc. in it.

I truly think it was random. Besides, they told us at check in that he would have the inspection at the gate. If we did have anything in there we shouldn't have had, it could have easily been ditched or transferred to my carry-on. I could maybe see the small scissors with 1 1/2 blade but needles?

I carry scissors to cut my cable ties on the suitcase. Nail clippers will do it, though, I've heard. I find other random uses for them periodically, though.

Tucker in Texas

[quote name='rwr235']Specifics copied from the Celebrity site:

[I][COLOR="Black"][B]What not to Pack[/B]
For the safety of our guests and crew there are certain items that are not allowed onboard. If these are found they will be confiscated. Alcoholic beverages, illegal drugs, flammable liquids, explosives, and dangerous chemicals will not be returned.

Firearms & Ammunition, including realistic replicas
Sharp Objects, including knives and [B]scissors*[/B]
Illegal Drugs & Substances
Candles & Incense
Coffee Makers, Clothes Irons, & Hot Plates
Baseball Bats, Hockey Sticks, Cricket Bats, Bows and Arrows
Skateboards & Surfboards
Martial Arts Gear
Self-Defense Gear, including handcuffs, pepper spray and night sticks
Flammable Liquids and Explosives, including lighter fluid and fireworks
HAM Radios
Dangerous Chemicals, including bleach and paint
Alcoholic Beverages**

*Personal grooming items such as safety razors are allowed. [B]Scissors with blade length less than 4 inches are allowed.[/B]

**Two bottles wine per stateroom are allowed on embarkation day, subject to corkage fees.
[/COLOR][/I][/QUOTE]

A bit of levity but up until a couple of years ago they had hand grenades on the list of prohibited items.

[quote name='Beanb41']Could someone please explain to me when going on a cruise the need to bring a knife, swiss or otherwise? If scissors are required use the pair in ones first aid kit which one will probably need after cutting oneself with the Rambo hunting knife.[/QUOTE]

The only legitimate reason I can think of is for scuba diving.