Unlimited dining package?

jmele999

I just read on another thread that NCL will be having a new unlimited dining package starting next month. Has anybody heard anything about it?

Just curious about the resturants and the attraction, are they really that much better. Out of the 8 cruises my DH and I have gone on never once have we gone to any of the specialty type resturants...

Just curious about the resturants and the attraction, are they really that much better. Out of the 8 cruises my DH and I have gone on never once have we gone to any of the specialty type resturants...

The food in most of the specialty restaurants is very good, however, the food quality in the MDRs is also very good. The specialty restaurants are available for you to use should you choose to do so.

We use the specialty restaurants because of the Lattitudes benefits or to use up our OBC and occasionally to celebrate a special occasion but I have NEVER felt it was necessary to do so because of the quality of food in the MDRs.

Some "naysayers" use the availability of specialty restaurants in an attempt to disparage NCL but they are very wrong IMHO.

Depends on what you enjoy. We like the better food, choices and more attentive servers in the specialty restaurants. It is comparable to what cruising was like 10+ years ago on NCL. It costs a little more, but you can certainly enjoy the MDR or buffet if that is what you prefer.

It is comparable to what cruising was like 10+ years ago on NCL. It costs a little more, but you can certainly enjoy the MDR or buffet if that is what you prefer.

Actually the real net cost of cruising has dropped from 10 years ago so it's not more expensive than it was - even with speciality dining. With NCL it's just more ala carte experience now than before.

Edited by Demonyte

Depends on what you enjoy. We like the better food, choices and more attentive servers in the specialty restaurants. It is comparable to what cruising was like 10+ years ago on NCL. It costs a little more, but you can certainly enjoy the MDR or buffet if that is what you prefer.

You have stated without reservaton that you cannot provide an example of one positive service experience on NCL. However, here you discuss better food, better choices, and more attentive servers. :confused:

It isn't that I (or anyone else) doubts YOU, but there has to be a reason why your message is so inconstent and contradictory. Why would someone want to trust "facts" that continually prove themselves to be otherwise?

IOW...slam the cruise line that you continue to use if you want to, just try to get your message straight.

Actually the real net cost of cruising has dropped from 10 years ago so it's not more expensive than it was - even with speciality dining. With NCL it's just more ala carte experience now than before.

I agree with this 100%. Once we add in all the nickel and diming charges our cruise price and experience ends up being about the same as it was 10-15 years ago.

I agree with this 100%. Once we add in all the nickel and diming charges our cruise price and experience ends up being about the same as it was 10-15 years ago.

Well, I, for one, celebrate your agreement. I wasn't going to cruise again but since LMB approves, well... I can live again! Thanks LMB!

How to book UDP online? Can you please post a link to any description on NCL.com?

It's not there yet (and since the price varies based on the length of the cruise, might not be bookable online at all, like UBP where you have to call to prepurchase it). At least some info should be published online within the next week or so.

Would you dine in the specailty restuarants if they were free ? or would you still stick to the MDR and Buffets ?

It's not there yet (and since the price varies based on the length of the cruise, might not be bookable online at all, like UBP where you have to call to prepurchase it). At least some info should be published online within the next week or so.

I found this Breakaway $199-

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1965555

Safe sailing

Would you dine in the specailty restuarants if they were free ? or would you still stick to the MDR and Buffets ?

Probably not because of the dress code, we dont take any dressy type clothing with us. we have to "dress up" everyday for work. We take nice things but not dress clothes...

Probably not because of the dress code, we dont take any dressy type clothing with us. we have to "dress up" everyday for work. We take nice things but not dress clothes...

You don't know the NCL dress code very well then. The only specialty restaurant that even requires long pants is Le Bistro. When I say long pants I mean blue jeans are fine. All the other specialty restaurants allow shorts, the dress code is that relaxed.

I found this Breakaway $199-

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1965555

Safe sailing

That's nice to know (and I agree with you that the OP of that thread should have posted it in to this one) but that is a picture of Freestyle Daily, not info from NCL's website that the previous poster here was asking about - no new info in that picture, even the price for a longer cruise was known already. ;)

You don't know the NCL dress code very well then. The only specialty restaurant that even requires long pants is Le Bistro. When I say long pants I mean blue jeans are fine. All the other specialty restaurants allow shorts, the dress code is that relaxed.

I am very aware of the dress code on NCL, we have never were interested in eating in the specialty restarants so I never ck'd the dress codes for them but thanks for your information.

I wonder if this takes off if they will have to start limiting the number that are sold. As you never know how many people will only want to go to the same ones making it impossible for reservations. Also with the Platinum members getting Le Bistro free this could be a problem with both programs running for reservations. Will be interesting to see how this turns out.

I agree with you totally. If they allow the entire capacity of the specialty restaurants to be sold everyone will have trouble getting reservations and then their will be a new round of complaints even from those purchasing the package. For example I paid for ultimate dining but i couldn't get a reservation until 9:30 or Cagney's was always booked. It could tun into a mess.

I agree with you totally. If they allow the entire capacity of the specialty restaurants to be sold everyone will have trouble getting reservations and then their will be a new round of complaints even from those purchasing the package. For example I paid for ultimate dining but i couldn't get a reservation until 9:30 or Cagney's was always booked. It could tun into a mess.

They have a similar package on Celebrity. They do limit the number of packages sold. It depends on the number of pre sailing reservations online. On our sailing during spring break last year I asked the manager at Murano about this very thing. He told me they were only selling 30 packages on that sailing.

From NCL site

Ultimate Dining Package

TERMS AND CONDITIONS:

The Ultimate Dining Package is available via pre-sell or onboard purchase on days 1-2 of the voyage only. On 3-day sailings, the package is only for sale on day 1. No refunds are available if fewer restaurants are visited. The Ultimate Dining Package is non transferable. A la carte priced restaurants and Ocean Blue are not included in the Ultimate Dining Package, but will be discounted 20% for those purchasing the package. Entertainment-based dining and Chef’s Table are not included in the Ultimate Dining Package. Reservations are not required however table availability will be guaranteed for Ultimate Dining Package guests with 24-hour advance reservation. The UDP does not include beverages. Child pricing remains as is for specialty dining. Excludes all 1- and 2-day sailings.

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:

Q. IN WHICH VENUES WILL THE ULTIMATE DINING PACKAGE BE HONORED?

A. The Ultimate Dining Package is honored in all specialty restaurants with the exception of Ocean Blue, a la carte priced restaurants, entertainment-based dining, mini bar and room service.

Q. WHAT IS INCLUDED IN THE ULTIMATE DINING PACKAGE?

A. With the Ultimate Dining Package, you can dine in any specialty restaurant every night of your cruise, including our exciting Italian, Asian, Brazilian, French and signature steakhouse restaurants. Plus, you can enjoy 20% off the cover charge for dinner at Ocean Blue and all a la carte priced restaurants (not included in Ultimate Dining Package).

Q. HOW CAN I MAKE DINING RESERVATIONS WITH THE ULTIMATE DINING PACKAGE?

A. Once you have purchased the Ultimate Dining Package, you may make any dining reservation online under “Dining” by logging back into ncl.com/myncl. You can also make a reservation onboard the ship by calling or visiting the Restaurant Reservations Desk or at any restaurant reservations podium.

Q. CAN I MAKE A DINING RESERVATION FOR THOSE PARTICIPATING IN THE ULTIMATE DINING PACKAGE TOGETHER WITH THOSE WHO ARE NOT PARTICIPATING?

A. Yes. Simply make your reservations at ncl.com/myncl. You can also make a reservation onboard the ship by calling or visiting the Restaurant Reservations Desk or at any restaurant reservations podium. Applicable cover charges apply for those who have not purchased the Ultimate Dining Package.

Q. WHAT IF MY TRAVELING COMPANION DOESN’T WANT TO BUY THE ULTIMATE DINING PACKAGE, DO THEY STILL HAVE TO PURCHASE IT?

A. No, guests staying in the same stateroom do not need to purchase the package. The Ultimate Dining Package may be purchased individually.

Q. CAN I BUY DINNER FOR MY FRIENDS WITH THE ULTIMATE DINING PACKAGE?

A. The Ultimate Dining Package is for personal consumption. If you wish to pay for someone else’s dinner, you will incur in regular cover charges for their consumption.

Q. HOW WILL THE RESTAURANT STAFF KNOW I HAVE PURCHASED THE ULTIMATE DINING PACKAGE?

A. Your room keycard will be coded as well as tagged with a sticker and used for identification. The restaurant staff will request to see your room keycard for verification prior to service. So keep it handy.

Q. ARE GRATUITIES INCLUDED IN THE ULTIMATE DINING PACKAGE PURCHASE PRICE?

A. No. If you wish to recognize the crew for their service, you may do so at time of service using the gratuity line on the check. Plus, a beverage gratuity of 15% will automatically be added to all beverage sales.

Q. ARE ANY MENU ITEMS EXCLUDED FROM THE ULTIMATE DINING PACKAGE?

A. No, all items listed on the menus are included in the package.

Q. ARE ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES INCLUDED IN THE ULTIMATE DINING PACKAGE?

A. The Ultimate Dining Package does not include alcohol, but we offer a wide range of beverage packages, including the Ultimate Beverage Package, Cork & Caps and Viva Vino. For more information about our beverage packages, please check out ncl.com “Gifts & More” or visit any bar onboard the ship on the first day of your cruise

A $10 savings? I figured the cost of eating 6 nights at the specialties we would enjoy and the savings came out to be around $26 per person. $52 for a couple is not bad at all! Much better than the big $7 savings you get on the old book 3 offer.:rolleyes:.

And for a 14 day sailing, you are already getting a $39 pp savings over the $119 x 2 with the $199 price you pay for 2 weeks. Adding up the prices for 12 dinners minus the $199 cost, I figured you could save about $91 per person.

I certainly would not mind eating in a few of these places more than once. There is always something on the menu you would like the second time around:p.

However, for that 14 day sailing, for us at least, because we are both Platinum, we both get dinner for two each. So that means that two days of the 14 we already would get a specialty restaurant 'comped' for us due to our status. In addition, due to my CAS status I get a specialty restaurant 'comped'. For a 14 day cruise we already have 3 days of specialty restaurants at the get-go taken care off. That would leave us with 11 days left...not to consider that CAS usually will comp me an additional day or two of specialty restaurants. Not real sure it would pay for us.

In addition, if I read the info correct it states that gratuities are NOT included and if you like you can tip accordingly. However, in the past when going to a specialty restaurant it always stated that gratuities WERE included.....even though I always left a little something. Still, one says included and this offer says not included.

Harriet

Edited by hpecorari

However, for that 14 day sailing, for us at least, because we are both Platinum, we both get dinner for two each. So that means that two days of the 14 we already would get a specialty restaurant 'comped' for us due to our status. In addition, due to my CAS status I get a specialty restaurant 'comped'. For a 14 day cruise we already have 3 days of specialty restaurants at the get-go taken care off. That would leave us with 11 days left...not to consider that CAS usually will comp me an additional day or two of specialty restaurants. Not real sure it would pay for us.

In addition, if I read the info correct it states that gratuities are NOT included and if you like you can tip accordingly. However, in the past when going to a specialty restaurant it always stated that gratuities WERE included.....even though I always left a little something. Still, one says included and this offer says not included.

Harriet

Gratuities have never been included in the surcharge. The waitstaff is however included in the $12 DSC. Because of the level of service I have almost always left a small cash tip.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - Jim