Reflection - Party Band "Vibes" what is Celebrity thinking!!

bandp407

It has been a long time since we have spent any time laying out by the pool. Main reason is the loud music that is not our taste. That`s why we always book a large balcony so we can have some quiet time. We do love music and dancing but X `s idea of modern luxury is not the same as ours.

It has been a long time since we have spent any time laying out by the pool. Main reason is the loud music that is not our taste. That`s why we always book a large balcony so we can have some quiet time. We do love music and dancing but X `s idea of modern luxury is not the same as ours.

The music wasn't as loud as it has been in the past. And the techno music is gone and replaced with a nice mix of Sinatra, Michael Jackson, Stevie Wonder, Adele, Lionel Ritchie, Streisand, Alicia Keys etc.

I think they are having the staff do double duty. Instead of having qualified musicians with some talent they are recruiting a waiter to bang on a electronic drum with the volume real high so no one can really hear anything except for the distortion. 💽 🔊

All those cruises where they had the staff doing a talent show on the last night was really a audition for them to do some moonlighting. 🎤

🎉🎩🍸

Greetings & Happy Holidays! My husband & I were on the Dec 13-Dec 21 sailing of the Reflection. It was our second time on the ship and unfortunately our music experience on board was very disappointing. We were on the Easter cruise last March and D'Revelations was the party band. They played often and throughout the week in various locations on the ship. They were AMAZING and engaged their audience and filled the dance floor wherever they played. Vibes was another story - they were loud and not at all interested in who they were playing for. The only time the dance floor was FULL was when Big Mike and the Reflection Orchestra played. They were super, but unfortunately only played once the entire week. Many of the other passengers onboard shared our disappointment and many said it was the WORST Celebrity cruise they had been on as it related to type of music played and the lack of it. Many of us shared our opinion but to no avail. Is this the direction with Modern Luxury that Celebrity is going?? One of the officers said they brought Vibes onboard due to the number of kids coming onboard for the Christmas cruise. Not sure I buy this one. Our Easter cruise had 500 kids (vs 700 kids) for that sailing and the music was fantastic!! The lawn concerts also were cancelled for this sailing - not sure why, the weather seemed fine. We have an upcoming sailing on the Silhouette for early April and while onboard booked two future Celebrity sailings - one for the same week next Dec. So can anyone help shed some light - is this the direction Celebrity is going - cutting back on the amount of music on board and the type played?? Was it the week we picked -do they "cut back" the week before a holiday sailing? In the mist of trying to attract a younger audience they will loose many of their existing loyal passengers who enjoy listening to some nice music during the day by the pool and before & after dinner.

We have cruised Celebrity for the past 10 years and recently have been disappointed in the entertainment on Celebrity. last November we booked a cruise on the new Royal Princess out of Fort Lauderdale. What a pleasant surprise. This ship not only has live musical groups to satisfy all age groups, but also has a huge piazza when one can eat at little cafes, drink at the bars and still enjoy the musical entertainment. The atrium on the S class ships are just too small for the number of passengers who would like to enjoy the dancing and the music. Sad to say, but for us, Goodbye, Celebrity and Hello Princess.

I think they are having the staff do double duty. Instead of having qualified musicians with some talent they are recruiting a waiter to bang on a electronic drum with the volume real high so no one can really hear anything except for the distortion. 💽 🔊

All those cruises where they had the staff doing a talent show on the last night was really a audition for them to do some moonlighting. 🎤

🎉🎩🍸

They had carolling on the recent Reflection...it was just awful. The piano player had to stop playing and jump in when he could figure out where/what they were singing.

Do they still have music at the Sunset Bar on Reflection late afternoon? We were on this past March and they had acoustic duo and couple nights steel drum playing. Made for a great happy hour.

We were on the Reflection TA in November. Not once did we see a musician at the Sunset Bar! The weather was fantastic so that wasn't it. We have been on cruises with D'Revelations before and they were great. Don't remember the name of the party bank on our cruise, probably because they were not memorable. I love music and do not consider myself picky about the type of music or vocals, but it was hard to find decent music on our cruise. Curiously, the DJs did not "DJ". We requested a song or two (one of which they didn't have), but did not see one other person approach DJ.

On the other hand, the online music in our room (especially jazz, blues stations) was really great. We kept saying they should just pipe the online music throughout the ship.

:cool:

Celebrity, for 40+ years, has prided itself on being a classy, refined cruiseline catering to guests of elegance, high-standards and discerning tastes.. The younger "party" crowd passengers were left for lines such as Carnival, Norwegian, etc... Rap is certainly not the signature of "modern luxury" experience..

Not a huge rap fan myself, but honestly I don't consider any type of music "luxurious"

Again, I would emphasize that music tastes change over the decades. Classical is always "classic", but at one point was THE popular music of it's time-not nearly as much now. Big band music was popular in the 40s...early rock & roll of the 50s, etc.

A smart cruiseline realizes that even if their demographics remain constant, the musical tastes of that demographic DO NOT. In their 40s my parents loved the top 40 tunes of the 60s & 70s...now in our 40s, that music is fine, but we would want top 40 tunes through today. Now I realize this is not everyone's taste--it is just important to offer a wide range of choices for a wide range of ages & interests. (Top 40, Country, Jazz, etc)

Celebrity, for 40+ years, has prided itself on being a classy, refined cruiseline catering to guests of elegance, high-standards and discerning tastes.. The younger "party" crowd passengers were left for lines such as Carnival, Norwegian, etc... Rap is certainly not the signature of "modern luxury" experience..

It is not just the younger "party" crowd who likes rock, pop, alternative, dance and rap music. There are some of us that just enjoy all, or most all, kinds of music. For the record, I'm elegant, have extremely high standards and discerning tastes (after all I cruise on Celebrity), not to mention I'm in my 60's, who doesn't want to fall asleep listening to classical, jazz or Frank Sinatra.

Edited by NLH Arizona

First the food goes downhill over the last decade now its the entertainment. Celebrity will force many of its more affluent customers to seek other lines and I do not mean RCL ships. Maybe this change in entertainment will work in the Carribean during the winter months but Europe,South America,Australia and Asia is another story. Someone better wake up in the front office or 5 years from now they will be giving away cruises to those destinations other than the Carribean and possibly Alaska. For the small difference in money they better get back to basics-live entertainment and bands that do not destroy your eardrums because their music really stinks. I have sailed recently on Oceania and find it a breathe of fresh air and there are other lines that will satisfy my desires. I have sailed Celebrity for nearly 15 years and 25 cruises but enough is enough. JUst one man's opinion.

Rodan

First the food goes downhill over the last decade now its the entertainment. Celebrity will force many of its more affluent customers to seek other lines and I do not mean RCL ships. Maybe this change in entertainment will work in the Carribean during the winter months but Europe,South America,Australia and Asia is another story. Someone better wake up in the front office or 5 years from now they will be giving away cruises to those destinations other than the Carribean and possibly Alaska. For the small difference in money they better get back to basics-live entertainment and bands that do not destroy your eardrums because their music really stinks. I have sailed recently on Oceania and find it a breathe of fresh air and there are other lines that will satisfy my desires. I have sailed Celebrity for nearly 15 years and 25 cruises but enough is enough. JUst one man's opinion.

Rodan

Not sure about that! We were on the Silhouette (Med) and Eclipse (Baltic) (total 28 days) this summer. Great music, fun and all venues full. We and our friends (12 of us) would not hang around for Acapella groups, string quartets, piano bars etc. Lots of toe-tapping, party type music that had the Atrium hopping! We all loved it Our group was from 55-68 and we all had a blast. Maybe if you are older and the classical/jazz stuff is for you, Oceania and other lines may be a better fit.

ps For our group, the food on X has really unproved over the last few years (not downhill). We no longer feel we have to go to Specialty Restaurants to get good food.

I think that cruise lines that cater to demographics from 20+ years ago (HAL etc) are going to be left in the dust unless they look to their new customers

Not sure about that! We were on the Silhouette (Med) and Eclipse (Baltic) (total 28 days) this summer. Great music, fun and all venues full. We and our friends (12 of us) would not hang around for Acapella groups, string quartets, piano bars etc. Lots of toe-tapping, party type music that had the Atrium hopping! We all loved it Our group was from 55-68 and we all had a blast. Maybe if you are older and the classical/jazz stuff is for you, Oceania and other lines may be a better fit.

ps For our group, the food on X has really unproved over the last few years (not downhill). We no longer feel we have to go to Specialty Restaurants to get good food.

I think that cruise lines that cater to demographics from 20+ years ago (HAL etc) are going to be left in the dust unless they look to their new customers

Agree. If I want string quartets, Glenn Miller tribute bands, etc then I would cruise with HAL. Tried that line once. No more for at least thirty years. I like what X is serving up.

Like!

We'll be on Reflection's 2/8/14 sailing and after perusing The Vibes' set list (thank you for the link) their repitoire has EXACTLY the kind of music that'll have our group out on the dance floor. My best friend and I will be celebrating our 50th birthdays on board. :)

I looked at the link for Vibes and think they would be great on a cruise .We are sailing on the Equinox and wondered what band will be playing on this ship. Any ideas ?

In stating the above why is there is a need to have only one type of music being played.

I for one do not mind the odd bit of classical music and Jazz so why does Celebrity feel that they need to change everything.

I sailed on Oceania's Riveria ship last January and although it was a stunning ship and the food 10 times better than Celebrity ( same price from UK Celebrity) but the entertainment was dire in fact hardly any night life or buzz in the evening. So it seems that every line has its issues to resolve not just Celebrity.

I am very much looking forward to my next cruise on Celebrity and have another booked for September but that may change depending on how many changes there are that in my opinion might detract from my overall cruising enjoyment.

Scotslizzy