Does "Hygiene" in your own cabin really help?

No germ phobe here, but I agree that frequent hand washing is the most effective way to stay healthy on a cruise. Especially after using the toilet and prior to eating--but I always do this, whether at home or traveling. I wish everyone would follow this simple guideline. (sigh).

Teddie

Thank you! that's exactly how I feel. On our latest Allure cruise I was shocked at the black filth on top of the t.v., on top of light switches, etc. Of our 15 cruises, I'd say this was the dirtiest and smelliest (stale, moldy smell) room we've ever encountered. My sister in the stateroom next to us had the same complaint. Couldn't help but notice our attendent spent most of his time on the phone and didn't vacuum once.

The worst was the telephone. Disgusting. I give everything the once over when I unpack, but don't obsess over it for the rest of the week. It helps me relax. :)

We are like you in that we give the cabin a once over for about 5 mins (remote, switches, handles) and thats it for the trip. Lots of hand washing though. I dont like the purell stations but admit I like it when other people use them.:D

And, that is why you should wash yours and use a paper towel yourself. It's about protecting yourself from those who don't. You do know that all the bathrooms on ships have a button to open the door, right? At least all the ships I've been on. That way, no one has to touch the door.

Buttons...where?:confused: Have never seen any. BTW, I DO wash my hands and use a paper towel to open the door. Have been doing it for years, and before places got smart enough to put a waste can near the door.:)

As for women not washing their hands in bathrooms, I've seen it a lot more at work than on a cruiseship. In fact, I can't remember ever seeing anyone not wash their hands in the ship bathrooms. Believe me, I would notice it if it happened while I was in there.

I didn't say it was a lot, but it only takes one to start spreading something. ;) I will say that it happened enough times for me to notice it.

Edited by iheartbda

Often we have no choice, but for us it's not so much about the "germs" its just starting off the week without icky TV remotes and telephone handsets. Ever get a rental car with an icky, sticky steering wheel, or that grocery cart that the kiddo was slobbering all over?

Just looking to start off with "clean" not necessarily sterile stuff.

OK, Curt...I'll agree with that. I like clean, too. Good point.:D

And you haven't died.... yet. Geez.

We've cruised twice, didn't wipe down a thing, didn't get dick. And, yep, cold, flu and noro are viruses. Anti-BACTERIAL sprays, wipes and gels won't help with viruses.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Forums mobile app

Didn't get dick? I would say that is a personal problem. Lol. :eek::D

Buttons...where?:confused: Have never seen any. BTW, I DO wash my hands and use a paper towel to open the door. Have been doing it for years, and before places got smart enough to put a waste can near the door.:)

I didn't say it was a lot, but it only takes one to start spreading something. ;) I will say that it happened enough times for me to notice it.

The buttons are always on the wall in the vicinity of about 4-5 feet from the door (at least in the ladies rooms). It's the same type of button they have to open the handicapped bathroom doors. It's a rocking square switch. I'm sure someone has a picture somewhere (there's pics of everything else lol).

I found one, but the link won't show up. I really hate the limits that are put on posting grrrr.

Try this, and scroll down the page more than halfway and there are pics of the buttons: *************************************Allure.php

Wow. okay it's www. w h e e l c h a i r c r u i s i n g . c o m (without the spaces and look under photo gallery, then under Royal Caribbean, then under Allure)

Meanwhile I'll look for more pics.

Edited by BND

No one said what they touch is clean. What we have said is common sense is all that's required. Wash your hands, don't touch your nose or face. It's pretty simple. Disinfectant is going to be the death of a lot of people with superbugs increasing. Wiping stuff down isn't caution or awareness. It's adding to the problem. Just wash your hands with soap and water. That's the most effective thing you can ever do.

Disagree! Clean items are a good thing! Personally, I do not enjoy touching things with germs all over them (don't we get enough of that that is unavoidable during a regular average day?) ....And Agree! Best defense is washing the yucky stuff off you hands often.

Disagree! Clean items are a good thing! Personally, I do not enjoy touching things with germs all over them (don't we get enough of that that is unavoidable during a regular average day?) ....And Agree! Best defense is washing the yucky stuff off you hands often.

Clean items are a good thing....but germs are everywhere and many of them are airborne, so cleaning surfaces won't help prevent coming down with something if you inhale an airborne germ/bacteria.

If I found my cabin wasn't clean or clean enough -- I would find a housekeeping supervisor to discuss the issue with.

Thank you! that's exactly how I feel. On our latest Allure cruise I was shocked at the black filth on top of the t.v., on top of light switches, etc. Of our 15 cruises, I'd say this was the dirtiest and smelliest (stale, moldy smell) room we've ever encountered. My sister in the stateroom next to us had the same complaint. Couldn't help but notice our attendent spent most of his time on the phone and didn't vacuum once.

The worst was the telephone. Disgusting. I give everything the once over when I unpack, but don't obsess over it for the rest of the week. It helps me relax. :)

If I walked into a cabin with what you have described, I would be speaking with Guest Services and the Head of Housekeeping, ASAP.

I have never, on the 15 cruises I have been on with Royal, had what you have described. Nor have I had a stateroom attendant as the one you have described.

Everything you do at least helps! It's always good to keep things as clean as possible. :)

LuLu

~~~~

Sigh. Why? It's not healthier to keep everything as clean as possible. That's part of the problem.

Every single person I know who is obsessed with cleanliness gets sick several times a year. And most people I know who aren't obsessed are rarely sick. A little bit of dirt is good for you.

Edited by BND

Sigh. Why? It's not healthier to keep everything as clean as possible. That's part of the problem.

Every single person I know who is obsessed with cleanliness gets sick several times a year. And most people I know who aren't obsessed are rarely sick. A little bit of dirt is good for you.

At least wash your hands after using the toilet, then. I trust that you already do. That kind of dirt is definitely bad for you :)

Teddie

everything you touch is loaded with germs.. just the way it is.

At least wash your hands after using the toilet, then. I trust that you already do. That kind of dirt is definitely bad for you :)

Teddie

I absolutely do, but the reality is if you don't wash your hands, it's worse for other people than for you. Generally what you have on your skin isn't an issue for you as they're "your" germs.

My point is that some people are so obsessed with "clean" that they're compromising their own immunity as well as others with their overuse of cleaning products and antibacterial gels in particular. The recent studies show that those gels aren't good for anyone. I absolutely hate them and they really do no good. I'm not sure where people got this idea that everything being sparkling clean is a good thing. It's obvious from watching my "clean" friends that they are sick many more times a year than I am. Heck, I took one sick day in the last 3 years and that was for a cold.

Also, all germs are not bad. You need bacteria to survive (inside and outside your body). Basic hygiene is all that's required. What the OP was suggesting is overkill and totally unnecessary. No one who does all that stuff can prove that it's helpful in any way.

Edited by BND

When aboard a ship, we try to practice good hygiene. However, we're not obsessive/compulsive about it. We do try to be aware, but most fellow passengers are also concerned about germs. The one's we worry about are those from other cultures that might not follow the same hygienic practices that we do in our culture.

What do we do?

1. First off, we wash our hands - a lot. And we try not to use our fingers to touch/rub our eyes, our nose, or our mouth (that's how most germs are passed).

2. When we're on the buffet line:

I always take food that's not exposed. Why? I've seen too many people place the tongs, either all the way, or most of the way, into the food tray. That means the part of the handle that people have touched came in contact with the food, and the food could be/probably is, contaminated.

(On a recent cruise, I was in the buffet area when I heard something drop to the floor. A woman passenger had dropped one of the serving tongs to a food tray. As I watched, she picked it up off the floor, and placed it back in front of the serving tray. At first I was shocked, how could this lady do that? Then I went over and grabbed the tongs, brought them back to one of the food workers and told them what the woman had did. The worker shook his head and gave me a new set of tongs for that tray.)

For Bread, Rolls, or other Food that's easy to just pick up with your fingers - since most people who practice the finger grabbing method will take from the front, for these kinds of foods, I try to pick from an untouched area - mostly the middle area. But if I see a few people hand-pick, then I'll either pass, or tell one of the workers what people have been doing. Usually then they take the tray back to the kitchen (and hopefully dump it).

I never use the Ice/Water dispensers. Why? Even though they have a prominent sign posted that they are not to be used to fill personal containers (because of health issues), I have seen too many passengers filling up their bottles, containers, and bottle-bags, by placing the bottle/container's opening right up to the top of the dispenser, so the dispenser's tip is INSIDE THEIR BOTTLE. I've seen this over and over, especially on Port days when people want to bring water ashore.

As for the sanitizer liquid stations - I don't like to use them. It's a chemical, and I don't like to place chemicals on my hands. Plus, as long as one person who hasn't washed, goes through the line, touching everything, then when you touch those tongs, your hands will be contaminated anyway. So, the best time to clean your hands is right before you eat, AFTER you've gone through the Buffet Line. Either that, or don't use your fingers to eat any of your food.

That said - here's a way to check your cabin for Biologicals left by prior passengers - - >>>

Next time you go on a Cruise - bring along one of those portable Black Light fixtures. Either a small battery one, or a small electric one (but if you have an electric one, you'll need an extension cord).

To check for biologicals, (they will show up as bright spots under a black light), turn on the black light and turn off all the cabin lights, and then use the Black Light to examine the bed - the pillows, blankets, sheets, etc. All those items should be spotless, that is if the Cabin Steward placed clean sheets on your bed.

But sometimes. they don't always wash the blankets; instead they wrap them in clean sheets But tell me, how many of you do touch your blankets, because when you sleep, the cover sheets always come off, right?

You can also check the area around the bed for bright spots, check the room's carpet too. You never know what you'll find.

Then shine the black light on the sofa, chair, and desk chair - anything used for sitting. These items aren't cleaned, well usually cleaned by Cabin Stewards unless they're really filthy/dirty.

When examining the Sofa or chair, don't be surprised if you see multiple spots from past sexcapades. :eek:

Next, go into your cabin's bathroom. Shine the black light on the wall directly next to the toilet. Again, if the Cabin Steward doesn't normally wash the walls, don't be surprised if you see something that looks like a fireworks display on the wall. That's from urine being splashed up from the toilet. Yep, it's gross.

Now, if you find your bathroom wall like this under the black light- looking like a firework's rocket exploded, ask your Cabin Steward to wash down the wall(s). If he looks at you odd, just tell him you always wash the wall next to your toilet at home, and explain about splashes - they'll understand, and they might add that routine to their cleaning regimen.

Note: I recently sailed on the Grandeur of the Seas - 12/14/13 sailing. I had cabin 3606, an accessible cabin. After we checked in I noticed a strange stain/imprint on the edge of one of the room's sofa cushions. It appeared that a male, (probably a passenger on a previous cruise) had taken a shower, spread body lotion on themselves (covering their entire body, including their lower private parts), and then sat on the edge of the sofa.

Why do I say that? Well, at the edge of the sofa there was an imprint of a butt, and in the middle of that imprint one could see another irregularly rounded imprint, and inside of that, another imprint of two (almost) side by side longitudinal ovals.

Sort of like this: ( -----(0O)----- )

Yes, it was an imprint of a stranger's butt, bag, and balls. :eek: Kind of gross, right?

When next I saw the cabin steward I pointed out the stain and asked that it be cleaned, and that if it couldn't be cleaned that the sofa be replaced. The next day, the sofa was clean - no more butt print was present.