Where to go first while waiting for room to be ready on Reflection

LiseD

BTW, if you do go to the Bistro, there is a $5 fee to eat there. I was told from a very reliable source, if you get your bill after they swipe your card and write in additional tip for the server, that money does not go to the server -- it all goes to Celebrity. If you want to tip for exceptional service, leave them cash.

I was told the same for specialty restaurants. Any additional tip you write in on your slip goes to the Maitre'D, not your server who provided the exceptional service. Best to tip in cash.

Interesting that you say that, since we were told that was not the case. We were told that all additional tips were collected by Celebrity, since they do the billing, but them were shared among the speciality restaurant staff, including the Maitre'D. The servers DO get the extra tips, just not necessarily the way you expect. The Maitre'D gets part because he is supposed to float and provide additional service as needed.

Sorry for a Celebrity newbie question that may be answered elsewhere, but does Celebrity require their staff to pool all tips? I know this happens on other cruise lines whether you tip in cash or add it to a bill. Staff caught pocketing a cash tip on the other lines risk losing their jobs.

Thanks for the Bo5 embarkation tip - I hope they'll be open when I cruise in January

Its seems in the past we always wander around aimlessly not knowing where to go and ending up where everyone else is in long lines!! Bistro on 5 or Mast Grill sound like great choices....

What about other spots to just hang out as I imagine the pool area will be very crowded?

The Porch - $5 up-charge. High, good views of the Miami skyline, etc., not crowded.

Don't let them scare you away from the buffet. There is a wide selection of food, depending on what time you board finding seating might be easy or not. But almost always you can find seats. The "old lady putting food back" is overblown. Yes it can happen, but it's not like it the buffet is full of "floor food".

Sorry for a Celebrity newbie question that may be answered elsewhere, but does Celebrity require their staff to pool all tips? I know this happens on other cruise lines whether you tip in cash or add it to a bill. Staff caught pocketing a cash tip on the other lines risk losing their jobs.

Thanks for the Bo5 embarkation tip - I hope they'll be open when I cruise in January

What has been accepted wisdom on these boards for quite some time is that if you have left the auto tips in place and you give cash to a waiter or cabin attendant or someone else, that person may keep the cash. If you have taken off the auto tips, the person must turn the cash in. Seems to make sense. The cabin attendants and waiters get lists of those who have auto tipped and those who have removed the auto tip. We once had a waiter who wanted to know our names and cabin numbers. I assume to check the list.

What has been accepted wisdom on these boards for quite some time is that if you have left the auto tips in place and you give cash to a waiter or cabin attendant or someone else, that person may keep the cash. If you have taken off the auto tips, the person must turn the cash in. Seems to make sense. The cabin attendants and waiters get lists of those who have auto tipped and those who have removed the auto tip. We once had a waiter who wanted to know our names and cabin numbers. I assume to check the list.

We always left cash tips with the bartenders and on this very recent cruise not a one of them put it in their pocket. It was always placed on the counter. They still prefer cash (we asked) but not sure how they handle the tips at the end of the shift.

Linda - Thank you for the information. This helps with plans for my tipping strategy on my upcoming (and first) cruise on Celebrity.

Sorry for a Celebrity newbie question that may be answered elsewhere, but does Celebrity require thetheir staff to pool all tips? I know this happens on other cruise lines whether you tip in cash or add it to a bill. Staff caught pocketing a cash tip on the other lines risk losing their jobs.

I think the answer is that no one knows. I have been told the opposite of what Linda posted who by the way I greatly respect. It could be a combination of both

Edited by dkjretired

I think the answer is that no one knows. I have been told the opposite of what Linda posted who by the way I greatly respect. It could be a combination of both

Hi, Don. That's why I said it was "accepted wisdom." Nobody really knows for sure. I certainly hope that those I give cash to are allowed to keep it since I leave the auto tips in place. I am rewarding those people for their exceptional, friendly service.

I kind of think that our experience with that waiter who asked for our names and cabin numbers lends credence to the theory about people getting to keep the extra cash tips, but I don't know that for sure.

When we cruised in AQ, I asked the maitre d' about extra tips since we did not always get our favorite waiter. He told me that they pool the tips in Blu. Again, this makes sense to me since one does not always have the same waiter/assistant.

Is there an additional fee for Cafe al Bacio?

Snacks are free, but a charge for the specialty coffees and teas unless youhave a beverage package. A great spot for morning coffee and afternoon coffee or tea break, but not really a quite lunch spot although some might use it for a light lunch. Yhry offer a daily choice of bite size sandwiches and pastries.

It seems that Bistro on 5, Mast Grill and The Porch would be good choices! But Mast Grill and The Porch are outside? One of my daughters is a vegetarian so looking at the menus makes me want to rule out Mast Grill. Sitting outside if a nice day sounds great! So would The Porch be best? Thanks for your help.

It seems that Bistro on 5, Mast Grill and The Porch would be good choices! But Mast Grill and The Porch are outside? One of my daughters is a vegetarian so looking at the menus makes me want to rule out Mast Grill. Sitting outside if a nice day sounds great! So would The Porch be best? Thanks for your help.

The Porch is a fine choice. It is protected if the weather is less than perfect. Be sure to ask for the vegetarian menu for meals. Many don't know that a separate menu is available.

Hello everyone.

Need help please!! I am booked on the Reflection in February Eastern Caribbean.

This is the first time sailing where I couldn't choose my room. I always need mid ship as there is less movement and I tend to get sea sick. We usually sail Carnival and you choose the room you want on the phone while you book.

We booked this on a whim because the price was so great but the deal is you are quaranteed a balcony but won't find out the room number untill 2 weeks before you sail.

So I thought I would cross my fingers and Pray....

I just checked in on line and they assigned a room number for us, which is all the way at back of ship.

Does anyone have any experiance being on this ship? Do you feel the movement in the aft? I am hoping because it is a new ship that it will be ok.

(crossing fingers....)

thx

Edited by Slippery when wet

Hello everyone.

Need help please!! I am booked on the Reflection in February Eastern Caribbean.

This is the first time sailing where I couldn't choose my room. I always need mid ship as there is less movement and I tend to get sea sick. We usually sail Carnival and you choose the room you want on the phone while you book.

We booked this on a whim because the price was so great but the deal is you are quaranteed a balcony but won't find out the room number untill 2 weeks before you sail.

So I thought I would cross my fingers and Pray....

I just checked in on line and they assigned a room number for us, which is all the way at back of ship.

Does anyone have any experiance being on this ship? Do you feel the movement in the aft? I am hoping because it is a new ship that it will be ok.

(crossing fingers....)

thx

I've never experienced a problem in an aft cabin on Reflection. My suggestion would be to see what cabins in your category are available. Sorry, but I can't name sites on this board, but they are easy to find. You are allowed to switch your cabin for another cabin in your category at any time. If a better located cabin becomes available call you TA and switch. I do this all the time.

I've not seen any place on X that does popcorn. If you are in a suite, you could ask your butler. We have never booked a suite, so not sure if they could help.

We always do Bistro on Five for lunch, but might do the Porch on embarkation day on our next trip on the Sil.

See you on the waves!

Can't speak for Reflection but we found on Eclipse this summer that Bistro of Five was full and they were putting people on a list to eat later.

If you do want to eat at a pay venue it might be worth getting there earlier rather than later. At least then, if it is busy, you might get a table by early afternoon.

Oh! They did have veggie burgers at Mast Grill. But they have to special make them so you may have to wait a few minutes. Service at Bistro on 5 and the Porch tends to be very slow in my experience (but you're not in a hurry, right) so waiting a few minutes for a veggie burger wouldn't make a difference in that respect.

Mast Grill location is right out in the open, so people will be walking nearby, and you may have to move a couple tables closer together if you have a group of more than 4. The Porch is its own private area, so you feel like you are in a real little restaurant. It is mostly protected if the weather is less than perfect; we ate there on a windy drizzly day, and it wasn't completely comfortable due to the wind coming through the slats between the glass, but it was better than being out in the open. Nice view, too.

Lastly, since Mast Grill is free, there aren't waiters actually waiting on you, you go up to the counter and order like a deli, and seat yourself. At the Porch you will be waited on and it will feel like more of an experience, rather than just filling your tummy.