Just wondering - airfare to Europe

lovey1103

That's great!!

Thank you!

The flights are great (Swiss and Lufthansa), the price, not great, but better that what's been coming up for me lately. They are $1313 as of 2 hours ago!

May 28th from Tampa (or near) to VCE (obviously) or near. Late afternoon flight.

June 12th from Florence (or near) to TPA afternoon flight preferred (1:20 is the latest I found)

I tried Emirates and found flights for about the same price as the CA flight after having to book flights to JFK (to MXP), and the ones on CA are into VCE and out of FLR. So, it wasn't with it.

Maybe you can find something better! I appreciate your help so much!

Oh, BTW I asked the CA agent if the tickets I am interested in would permit me to be booked on another airline if something happened, and he said yes, but only on the carriers they use. But, what else would he say? No? Highly doubtful even if it was the case.

I'm not sure what you searched, but running a search right now on Emirates yielded this result:

USD 1139.30 for 1 passenger(s) (Fare USD 1028.00 + Taxes, fees & charges USD 111.30)

DEPARTING 28 May 14 Tampa, United States to Milan, Italy

B60026

Wed28 May 14 14:27 Tampa International Airport (TPA) 2hr 49min

Wed28 May 14 17:16 John F Kennedy International Airport (JFK)

Connection

5 hr 4 min

EK0206

Wed28 May 14 22:20 John F Kennedy International Airport (JFK) 7hr 55min

Thu29 May 14 12:15 Malpensa Airport (MXP)

RETURNING 12 Jun 14 Milan, Italy to Tampa, United States

EK0205

Thu12 Jun 14 16:00 Malpensa Airport (MXP) 9hr 00min

Thu12 Jun 14 19:00 John F Kennedy International Airport (JFK)

B60525

Fri13 Jun 14 06:35 John F Kennedy International Airport (JFK) 2hr 46min

Fri13 Jun 14 09:21 Tampa International Airport (TPA)

Connecting TPA-JFK flights are on JetBlue. I've searched RT TPA-MXP as it is very easy to take the train from Florence to Milan to catch your flight. Note that you have to overnight in NYC on the way back, but this is $174/person less than your other best price, so worth it IMHO.

Of course, looking at your cruise, you appear to be planning to arrive on the day of departure (May 29), which I would not recommend for all sorts of reasons. If you do decide to fly on the 27th instead, these same flights/pricing is also available.

Would having cruise air be an advantage for those on the Explore of the Seas that are returning 2 days early due to nor virus outbreak?

Shak

Can't see how it would be. However, I suspect RCI is going to be picking up a lot of re-booking fees, or hotel rooms so you can stay until your original flight.

Can't see how it would be. However, I suspect RCI is going to be picking up a lot of re-booking fees, or hotel rooms so you can stay until your original flight.

I was on a cruise once that was delayed arriving at port due to a medical emergency and Royal Caribbean announced that those with cruise air had to do nothing because there air was being arranged and those with their own air had to make arrangements on their own.

Shak

I was on a cruise once that was delayed arriving at port due to a medical emergency and Royal Caribbean announced that those with cruise air had to do nothing because there air was being arranged and those with their own air had to make arrangements on their own.

Shak

I'd RATHER make my own air arrangements in that case. If I wait for CA to do it, who knows what my new itinerary will be?! Would who CA rebook first? Second? And so forth? If I call the airline myself I know I'm getting helped right away and have some say in the new itinerary.

Edited by waterbug123

I'd RATHER make my own air arrangements in that case. If I wait for CA to do it, who knows what my new itinerary will be?! Would who CA rebook first? Second? And so forth? If I call the airline myself I know I'm getting helped right away and have some say in the new itinerary.

Our air cost us over $1000 to rebook since there no flights available on the airline we booked with. Fortunately our trip insurance covered the cost but others on the cruise insurance did not. The reason given by their insurance that did not cover the cost was that they would cover delays caused by them or family member but not delays caused by others. For me I would have just as well let the cruise line make those arrangements then me trying to make them in the middle of the Pacific Ocean and to have to make a claim for reimbursement.

Shak

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Hey bug eater....ur lucky the Paris Barcelona overnight train was cancelled. Just did that this past summer, omg... Not a good time...lololol.. Good job on ur flight price though!!

Good to hear. So you are telling me that sleeping on a train is fun in theory only.

I'm not too upset about it because it puts me into the cruise port a day ahead of time (which is always a good thing) and gives me an extra evening in Barcelona.

Good to hear. So you are telling me that sleeping on a train is fun in theory only.

I'm not too upset about it because it puts me into the cruise port a day ahead of time (which is always a good thing) and gives me an extra evening in Barcelona.

It's all in how you did it. I've been on overnight trains within Europe and slept just fine with a private cabin. In a regular seat...no thanks.

We were in a sleeper. I'm specifically talking about Paris to Barcelona, I've done others as well. It was so hot and the train sounded like it was going to blow off the track,lol... But I guess it was just passing by walls apparently. Even my teen daughter was freaking and teens sleep through everything.

And they give u wool blankets, ha!! U know those old grey itchy ones.

On a side note, I watch airfare Vancouver Barcelona July. I've watched for three years now, and air Canada has an 1100$ incl. Tax, fare which is pretty reasonable from what I've been seeing!!

Every one of us on this board try to help everyone make the best (and CHEAPEST) airline arrangements we can.

The person trying to get to Venice and wondering about the Choice Air price, yvonneh, has never come back after Twickenham posted the ABSOLUTELY PERFECT flights, even with the overnight in NYC (and there is a Jet Blue flight that night to Tampa so MAYBE yvonneh could get on that flight without an upcharge more than $174 pp which matched the Choice Air price). I personally would be going for the overnight because you can get a hotel at the JFK area via Priceline for $125-150 per night EASY at a decent hotel (Hilton/Sheraton). So you STILL save $200 at a minimum over the Choice Air ticket AND fly on one of the better airlines in the world AND have FULL protective rights on your flight.

Makes you feel kind of worthless when people don't even respond. We have always said if you are willing to "look out of the box" there are ways to get to your destination, even on ONE WAYS, at about the same price as the crappy, restricted CHEAPEST Choice Air/EZ Air tickets, totally beholden to the cruise line. Or are people really afraid of anything OTHER than the Delta/American/UA mindset???

Edited by greatam

Our air cost us over $1000 to rebook since there no flights available on the airline we booked with.

San Diego to Cleveland. It believe it was Delta.

Shak

Ok, when you said there were no available flights, I figured you must have been leaving from some very small hometown airport that only offers 1 or 2 daily flights out on your given airline. But on a given day Delta literally offers dozens of options to get from San Diego to Cleveland. Are you saying every single one of these options was 100% booked? Or were there other restrictive parameters at play, imposed by either your ticket rules/restrictions or your own personal preferences, that limited the choices? Something tells me there may be more to this.

Ok, when you said there were no available flights, I figured you must have been leaving from some very small hometown airport that only offers 1 or 2 daily flights out on your given airline. But on a given day Delta literally offers dozens of options to get from San Diego to Cleveland. Are you saying every single one of these options was 100% booked? Or were there other restrictive parameters at play, imposed by either your ticket rules/restrictions or your own personal preferences, that limited the choices? Something tells me there may be more to this.

Here is the complete story. In 2007 the Serenade of the Seas was 12 hours out of Oahu and we had a medical emergency. At this point of our journey we were closer to Oahu than San Diego so the Captain returned to Hawaii. I could see land when a helicopter picked up the ailing patient. The next day we all were notified we would not arrive in San Diego until 5pm and anyone with cruise air would have to do nothing because the cruise line was rebooking them but all others would have to make their own arrangements. RCI did allow us to make phone calls to make arrangements but times were limited because there was over 2000 passengers. DW wife made the arrangements and she had booked a hotel for the night and air but said we would have to pay $1100 for our air. If we were on land or better internet connections maybe we could have done better but this is the best we could do under the circumstances.

Follow up discussions with other passengers while on board and our Roll Call many others purchased new airline tickets at similar prices. All trip insurance to those I talked to covered meals and hotels but not all covered the air portion. Ours did.

In your previous post you stated you wouldn't like the cruise line making your arrangements because you wouldn't know the arrangements before hand. For me I would have welcomed not have to worry about making those plans under stressful conditions.

Shak

Every one of us on this board try to help everyone make the best (and CHEAPEST) airline arrangements we can.

The person trying to get to Venice and wondering about the Choice Air price, yvonneh, has never come back after Twickenham posted the ABSOLUTELY PERFECT flights, even with the overnight in NYC (and there is a Jet Blue flight that night to Tampa so MAYBE yvonneh could get on that flight without an upcharge more than $174 pp which matched the Choice Air price). I personally would be going for the overnight because you can get a hotel at the JFK area via Priceline for $125-150 per night EASY at a decent hotel (Hilton/Sheraton). So you STILL save $200 at a minimum over the Choice Air ticket AND fly on one of the better airlines in the world AND have FULL protective rights on your flight.

Makes you feel kind of worthless when people don't even respond. We have always said if you are willing to "look out of the box" there are ways to get to your destination, even on ONE WAYS, at about the same price as the crappy, restricted CHEAPEST Choice Air/EZ Air tickets, totally beholden to the cruise line. Or are people really afraid of anything OTHER than the Delta/American/UA mindset???

I do SO APPRECIATE everyones help, suggestions and opinions. I just got back in town and didn't get my CC notifications while I was away. Your time helping me was not worthless. Plus, all this great information stays here so your knowledge can help someone else too.

One huge stipulation for us is the fact that my dates are not flexible. My husband cannot be out of his office for any more days than he already will be. I don't want to fly in the day we sail either, but my husband has to work the 28th.

I have had some terrible experiences with D/A/UA, and my goal is to book a European airline. However, even on Emirates, it doesn't work because of the dates with our lack of flexibility. Otherwise, those would be great flights, thank you for finding them, Twickenham & waterbug123.

I learned a lot from all of you and for that I am very thankful. I apologize I couldn't respond sooner.

I do SO APPRECIATE everyones help, suggestions and opinions. I just got back in town and didn't get my CC notifications while I was away. Your time helping me was not worthless. Plus, all this great information stays here so your knowledge can help someone else too.

One huge stipulation for us is the fact that my dates are not flexible. My husband cannot be out of his office for any more days than he already will be. I don't want to fly in the day we sail either, but my husband has to work the 28th.

I have had some terrible experiences with D/A/UA, and my goal is to book a European airline. However, even on Emirates, it doesn't work because of the dates with our lack of flexibility. Otherwise, those would be great flights, thank you for finding them, Twickenham & waterbug123.

I learned a lot from all of you and for that I am very thankful. I apologize I couldn't respond sooner.

IF your dates are as fixed as you post, you have NO ROOM for any error. And in those situations, the Choice Air ticket (particularly if you can't read ALL the fare rules) could be the downfall of your entire vacation. Both in SABRE and ITA, the flight you plan to take home has warnings about the possibility of any kind of delay/glitch on the entire itinerary could cause SIGNIFICANT delays but particularly on the FLR/ZRH or MUC connection. Small jet out of FLR.

And where is your cruise really ending? Venice, Florence or Rome? Most of the flights that leave from FLR to a transit airport leave relatively early in the morning if you expect to get home the same day. The one I was speaking about above leaves at 9:50AM from Florence. How are you going to get there? Have you made arrangements?

There are later flights out of JFK to Tampa on the same day. One leaves at 10:50PM, with a 5 hour layover at IAD and lands in Tampa at 6:25. Another Jet Blue flight leaves at 10:55PM but you spend the night in Boston. I see no reason you would want to do that. There is a 5:35AM flight into Tampa the following morning which arrives before 9AM.

I think you better really, really look into these connections on some of the other flights. You MAY NOT get home when you plan, particularly if you have to get from Venice or Rome to Florence to catch that plane home.

Whatever you decide to do, good luck. And MAKE SURE you have GOOD travel insurance and Plan B, C and D to get you to and from your cruise.