Ultimate ship tour?

alyssa0922

The Ultimate Ship Tour is an amazing experience and I highly recommend signing up at the PSD immediately upon boarding if you are interested. They usually only take a maximum of 12 passengers on the tour, so there could be a demand that outstrips how many they can accept.

It starts in the Princess theater, takes you onstage, and then backstage to see the dressing rooms and other areas. After that I believe we went to the forward mooring room, Health center, engine control room, food storage areas, laundry, galley, print room, photography lab, climbed up to the smoke stacks, and finally the bridge where you meet the captain and spend time with him.

A ships photographer follows you around and snaps pictures everywhere you go, and a ship officer in charge of each area gives you the speal for wherever you are.

The cost is $150 per person and you end up with a plush robe, personalized stationary, a picture frame, 8x10 pictures of each place you were, and either a chef coat or apron (we got aprons).

Our tour lasted about 4 hours and we spent 45 minutes with the captain on the bridge, but the timeframe could be different on each ship.

It will also be on a Port Day while the ship is tied up, and not a Tender day. With that said you will need to decide which excursions you will miss if you booked any that day (which will be listed when you sign up) as 4 hours out of an 8 hour port call will take a lot of time out of the day. One of these days I will do one as all the reviews I have read are Excellent.

I've read one report of UST being held on a port day in Alaska. Consider that the exception that proves the rule to expect it on a sea day. On Star Princess a few years ago they almost cancelled it on me because so few people signed up and some of those who did tried to back out when they found out it would start at 8:30 AM on the last sea day. But that is also an exceptional situation: if you don't sign up for it at the purser's desk as soon as you board you will likely miss it. When is does sell out immediately they may hold it on an early sea day and schedule a second one for the last sea day if there are more inquiries (no guarantees on this though).

Edited by fishywood

On the one I did on the Ruby Princess back in 2011, it was held on the last sea day (although I imagine it depends a lot on where they can fit it into the itinerary.) What you actually see may vary as well depending on the ship and whatever operational issues may get in the way. When I did it, we went in roughly this order:

- Theater

- Backstage/Dressing rooms

- Forward mooring deck

- Main Kitchen / Bakery

- Food Prep and storage areas

- Engine Control Room

- Print Shop

- Photo Lab

- Florist (this was just a quick stop in passing though)

- Ship's laundry

- Medical Center

- The Bridge (Roughly an hour was spent here, with champagne and other beverages served at the end.)

There are also some areas (most notably the actual engine rooms) that they cannot allow passengers into due to security and safety concerns. We also didn't go to the stacks on the one I took.

Maybe helpful - from Princess website:

Princess Cruises Ultimate Ship Tour®

A Behind-the-Scenes Adventure

Princess passengers can get an exclusive glimpse at the behind-the-scenes action onboard a Princess ship with the Princess Cruises Ultimate Ship Tour® — a cruise industry first. The tour is offered once or twice per cruise on a sea day, and allows passengers to explore the engine control room, medical center, print shop, laundry, photo lab, bridge, and other areas typically seen only by the ship's crew. The final stop of the tour is the ship's command center, where passengers will meet the Captain, enjoy special refreshments and take in the dramatic views from the bridge's wraparound windows. Participants will also receive a variety of themed mementos at many other stops along the route.

Available on all ships except for Pacific Princess and Ocean Princess.

Keep seeing people refer to it... What does it include? Do they offer it on every cruise? Does it cost $?

Thank you!

Alyssa :-)

We did the UST a few years ago on the Coral Princess. It was an amazing adventure; however, there were many steps and stairs to climb. I mention that since now, my husband would not be able to do the tour.

It's great; do it while you can.

The Ultimate Ship Tour is an amazing experience and I highly recommend signing up at the PSD immediately upon boarding if you are interested. They usually only take a maximum of 12 passengers on the tour, so there could be a demand that outstrips how many they can accept.

It starts in the Princess theater, takes you onstage, and then backstage to see the dressing rooms and other areas. After that I believe we went to the forward mooring room, Health center, engine control room, food storage areas, laundry, galley, print room, photography lab, climbed up to the smoke stacks, and finally the bridge where you meet the captain and spend time with him.

A ships photographer follows you around and snaps pictures everywhere you go, and a ship officer in charge of each area gives you the speal for wherever you are.

The cost is $150 per person and you end up with a plush robe, personalized stationary, a picture frame, 8x10 pictures of each place you were, and either a chef coat or apron (we got aprons).

Our tour lasted about 4 hours and we spent 45 minutes with the captain on the bridge, but the timeframe could be different on each ship.

Just did this on the CB. No smoke stacks, also no refreshments on the bridge. :( We got 6x8 photos from four of the stops (theater, mooring station, engine control room, and bridge).

It was held on the second to last sea day - the cruise ended with two sea days in a row.

We got chef's jackets

The Captain only stayed on the bridge long enough for the photo, then he turned the tour over to the Third Officer.

Overall, it was a fantastic tour and I might do it again someday, if I'm with someone who's never done it.

Just did this on the CB. No smoke stacks, also no refreshments on the bridge. :( We got 6x8 photos from four of the stops (theater, mooring station, engine control room, and bridge).

The Captain only stayed on the bridge long enough for the photo, then he turned the tour over to the Third Officer.

Overall, it was a fantastic tour and I might do it again someday, if I'm with someone who's never done it.

We had Guiseppe Romano as our Captain on the Ruby when we did ours. He was an absolute consummate host and stayed with us almost an hour answering question after question and had such pride showing off his bridge. He truly made our tour something special and I made sure to let Princess know via the survey and consummate host card.

It is a shame you did not get the refreshments on the bridge or get to the stacks. Definitely do it again as it really is amazing when you get the full experience!

We did the UST on the Star. Well worth the money. The laundry was fascinating and my favorite part of the tour. No refreshments on the bridge, although we were told we would, and the Captain showed up at the end for a photo and left. We got the robe, stationery, 6x 8 photos and an apron. No picture frame.

Denise

We had Guiseppe Romano as our Captain on the Ruby when we did ours. He was an absolute consummate host and stayed with us almost an hour answering question after question and had such pride showing off his bridge. He truly made our tour something special and I made sure to let Princess know via the survey and consummate host card.

It is a shame you did not get the refreshments on the bridge or get to the stacks. Definitely do it again as it really is amazing when you get the full experience!

I was fortunate enough to have Commodore Romano at the helm of the Ruby Princess when I visited the bridge as well. Charming fellow, and very friendly. I bet Captain Nash would be interesting to visit on the bridge too (I've met him a couple of times at CC meet-and-greets, and have been impressed with him as well.)

Edited by Vexorg

I was fortunate enough to have Commodore Romano at the helm of the Ruby Princess when I visited the bridge as well. Charming fellow, and very friendly. I bet Captain Nash would be interesting to visit on the bridge too (I've met him a couple of times at CC meet-and-greets, and have been impressed with him as well.)

I am hoping the UST will be offered on my B2B2B starting later today on the Ruby. I understand suites get priority in booking this, according to the list of suites amenities. I do not generally travel in a suite, but such is the Getaways Promotion.

I bet Captain Nash would be interesting to visit on the bridge too (I've met him a couple of times at CC meet-and-greets, and have been impressed with him as well.)

He was the Captain when we did the UST. It was quite enjoyable on the bridge.

By the way, we did get refreshments, but instead of on the bridge, we were taken to the Adagio Lounge for them.

We did the tour on the Island Princess during our full transit of the Panama Canal. The tour took place on the last sea day and went to the bridge first. We stayed there for nearly an hour with the Capt answering every question he was asked (or giving a reason why he could not answer). We got our champagne (sparkling wine) and petit fours at the beginning of our tour of the galley. That was my favorite place! Amazing how many "departments" there are that specialize. Soup kitchen, meat kitchen, veggie kitchen, etc ,etc

Anyone that wants to do the tour should sign up immediately as they board. We didn't even go to our cabin first and we were not the first on the list. They limit the number to 12 on our cruise. It was an amazing experience. :)

Depending on the ship, they may do a drawing for participants. So even if you go late to the pasengers services desk and sign up, you may get lucky. It's worth a shot. It is expensive (IMHO), but worth doing once - for sure.

Good luck!

We did this on HAL and thoroughly enjoyed it. There are alot of stairs & (horrors) no bathroom stop! It was at least 4 hours, and refreshments were included at the end. Also pictures with the Captain & crew. We each got a goodie bag including books (towel animals & recipes), a set of souvenir glasses and menus from each night MDR. I am really glad we decided to do it. Maybe will do the Princess one also, if they are offering it on the Royal.

I am hoping the UST will be offered on my B2B2B starting later today on the Ruby. I understand suites get priority in booking this, according to the list of suites amenities. I do not generally travel in a suite, but such is the Getaways Promotion.

Yep....only time we'll probably be in a suite. I thought my husband would be interested in this (I'm not), but it seems he isn't. When it first came out I assumed he'd be running to do it. I was mistaken.

Wehwalt: will we meet you at the M & G on the 13th?

Are the photos just of the areas you visit our do you get a photo with you in it?

Sent from my HTCONE using Forums mobile app

They actually send a photographer along on the tour to take photos every once in a while. Most are group photos, but they also do individual photos with the Captain on the bridge. Also note that they may or may not allow personal photos on the tour; you can bring your camera, but ask before taking photos (some areas, such as the engine control room, do not allow it.)

They actually send a photographer along on the tour to take photos every once in a while. Most are group photos, but they also do individual photos with the Captain on the bridge. Also note that they may or may not allow personal photos on the tour; you can bring your camera, but ask before taking photos (some areas, such as the engine control room, do not allow it.)

Thanks for the quick reply.

Sent from my HTCONE using Forums mobile app