Bringing on your own wine question

From the RC website:

Guests wishing to bring personal wine and champagne onboard may do so only on boarding day, limited to two (2) 750 ml bottles per stateroom. When consumed in any public area, each bottle shall be subject to a corkage fee of $25.00.

From the RC website:

Guests wishing to bring personal wine and champagne onboard may do so only on boarding day, limited to two (2) 750 ml bottles per stateroom. When consumed in any public area, each bottle shall be subject to a corkage fee of $25.00.

By consumed they mean if poured... You can take a full glass from your cabin anyplace on the ship and you will not be charged.

You can ask your stateroom attendant for a corkscrew and glasses and he/she will definitely oblige.

Steve

By consumed they mean if poured... You can take a full glass from your cabin anyplace on the ship and you will not be charged.

You can ask your stateroom attendant for a corkscrew and glasses and he/she will definitely oblige.

Steve

True, I have never had a problem carrying a glass of wine from my cabin although I usually drink it in my stateroom. The website talks about a corkage fee of $25 per bottle, not per glass. They just charge if you bring the bottle into a public area. Thanks for the tip about asking for a corkscrew. I just put one in my luggage, I did not think to ask for one onboard.

From the RC website:

Thanks so much, my next question was going to be is it 2 bottles per person or stateroom!

Can someone explain the process for bringing the wine onboard? Do you present it at check in and carry on yourselves? Or is it taken from you, scanned, and then you pick it up in a designated area?

DH puts it in his carry on, and walks on the ship with it. We always take the 2 bottles allowed. I'm sure security sees it in his carry on when it is scanned, but no questions have ever been asked, nor has he been asked to open his carry on.

This was our experience leaving out of Port Canaveral, twice, don't know if it is different at other ports.

Edited by Not-My-Real-Name

Can someone explain the process for bringing the wine onboard? Do you present it at check in and carry on yourselves? Or is it taken from you, scanned, and then you pick it up in a designated area?

We just usually put it in our carryon and it's not even questioned. I'm afraid if I put it in my main luggage that they would bring the luggage to the naughty room to make sure it's wine. And I usually bring screwtop wine so I don't have to worry about a corkscrew.

So, from a different angle...

The two-bottle per cabin is new since the last time we cruised. This time, we'll have our sons (19 & 16) in an interior cabin across the hall from us. This seems like a ridiculous question, but if it is two bottles per cabin, can we carry on two bottles for their cabin? Promise they would be for Dad and I, just checking since it is "per cabin" not "per cabin with legal age adults." :)

Thanks!

The two-bottle per cabin is new since the last time we cruised. This time, we'll have our sons (19 & 16) in an interior cabin across the hall from us. This seems like a ridiculous question, but if it is two bottles per cabin, can we carry on two bottles for their cabin? Promise they would be for Dad and I, just checking since it is "per cabin" not "per cabin with legal age adults." :)

Thanks!

The passengers must be of legal age.

It's 2 - 750 ml bottles per stateroom in which registered guests are of legal drinking age. We always take ours in the carry on luggage. Now, when we have checked in at the pier, we have always been directed to a table set up inside the security check in area where they ask to see the wine. We always bring our own corkscrew...once asked our steward for one and he had a hard time finding one available.

Thanks!

Îf you rearrange the booking so that one of you and one of the boys is technically in each room, THEN you can bring 4 bottles within the rules. Just ask for blank keys once onboard for the two of you linked to the "wrong" room.

Îf you rearrange the booking so that one of you and one of the boys is technically in each room, THEN you can bring 4 bottles within the rules. Just ask for blank keys once onboard for the two of you linked to the "wrong" room.

Definitely the way to go although the security guards did have a hard time understanding has we were allowed to bring on 6 bottles on our last B2B. After a couple minutes of explaining it to them I think they got frustrated and just waved us through. None of the other RCI employees could care a bit about how much we had. Did not even have to surrender any until the second cruise.:)

It's 2 - 750 ml bottles per stateroom in which registered guests are of legal drinking age. We always take ours in the carry on luggage. Now, when we have checked in at the pier, we have always been directed to a table set up inside the security check in area where they ask to see the wine. We always bring our own corkscrew...once asked our steward for one and he had a hard time finding one available.

What port were you sailing from that you had to show your wine at a table? Are you sure that wasn't Carnival? If your signature is correct, it doesn't look like you have cruised Royal Caribbean since the policy change.

What port were you sailing from that you had to show your wine at a table? Are you sure that wasn't Carnival? If your signature is correct, it doesn't look like you have cruised Royal Caribbean since the policy change.

We sailed Mariner out of Galveston exactly a year ago today. We had to show our wine at a table. No big deal, it took about 30 secs.

OKC Cruisers sailed Mariner twice in 2012, the new policy was in force in 2012.

Edited by jbond

I've only cruised carnival, but have never had to show wine. I carry it in my soft side cooler.

Carnival Destiny jan 2010

Carnival Liberty 9/28/13

Carnival Victory 10/5/13

Carnival Sensation 3/9/14

Carnival Sensation 3/13/14

Carnival Sensation 3/16/14

The policy began Nov 1 2012. :)

I thought the policy went into effect on January 1, 2013. Since it was Nov 2012, it must be a Galveston thing since Mariner was sailing from there at this time. If they make everyone stop with wine, that is another good reason to sail from somewhere else.

If you carry two bottles on and put two in luggage how would anybody know ?

Because they read this blog, and will eventually put into practice procedures to register wine bottles to staterooms. If that gets to be too much of a hassle for them, then they will simply discontinue allowing wine on board.

Because they read this blog, and will eventually put into practice procedures to register wine bottles to staterooms. If that gets to be too much of a hassle for them, then they will simply discontinue allowing wine on board.

And the majority will pay for the thoughtlessness of a few.:mad: