internet users beware

SALMARK

Infi just posted a review of our Amsterdam Panama Canal cruise so I am just going to remark on the new internet system they have. My DH is still working but has been able to cruise and still work using a remote link he has on his work computer. This was NOT possible on this cruise. We sailed on the Amsterdam last May with the same itinerary and everything was fine. However while the ship was in dry dock in Dec., they switched to a new provider that HAL is starting to use. He spent time with the tech person on the ship but they were unable to resolve the problem. I use msn email and I could not connect to my mail. While successfully getting a refund at the office (I was not the only one doing so at the time), I learned that HAL plans on installing this new system on all its ships. Oh, if you thought the system was slow before, you have not seen slow. Hopefully HAL will reconsider this change over. As you can tell by my probably incorrect use of terms, I am not a techie. If you have any questions, I will ask my DH.

I notice a couple of bloggers are able to post a daily update from the Amsterdam, so it must work to some extent. It would be enlightening to hear from HAL as to what they have done and why they have done it. One of the things I always list on my comment sheets concerns their 20th century internet service in this century.

It will be interesting to hear about the service from the folks presently on the World Cruise.

As mentioned above, there are several (3 that I know of) bloggers on this cruise. Well, Bill and Mary Anne do it through Cruise Critic. In response to USN59-79, two of the active bloggers were not yet on the ship when they wrote all their entries to this time. Let's wait to hear how each of them are finding things. The third person did an entry after the cruise left Port and his seemed to come through fine - 20 some pictures and some text. Guess we shall have to give it more time before we see about the change.

The blogger with the pictures was on the Amsterdam most of this past fall except for the dry dock period so he should have the best perspective on what the differences are, good or bad.

World cruise blogger Jeff, who is as upbeat and pro Holland America as anybody, said this about the internet on December 31, 2013:

And now for an update on the internet here on the Amsterdam… Initially, after a few startup bugs, I said the new system was pretty good, maybe a little faster than the old system. My optimism, at this point, it pretty much gone. The system has not been functioning very well. It is very inconsistent, at times much slower than it should be and overall a big disappoint. The people on the ship are doing a great job in trying to sift through the problems and get the system where it needs to be. The new operator, apparently hasn’t done their homework! I hope I’ll be able to report better news in the future but right now at 4:06 in the morning, this is the best I can do….
http://amazingvoyages2.blogspot.com/

I don't see how he can post so many photos from the ship, it must take hours.

We had the new service on the Prinsendam and for the first time ever I could do internet in the cabin :D

I usually went to the Crow's Nest as it is so pretty there - but it did work quite well. It still dropped of course on the TA portion but we never lost it.

Unbelievable - on my last TA we lost it for three days - a bit of a struggle on our last cruise - but we never lost it.

So hang in there - it will work - just give it time - they have to change a few things.

Whogo,

Thanks for the post. Now that I read it I do remember reading it on his blog, but had forgotten. I would guess he will keep up posted on the issue over time.

I was on the fall 75 day cruise this fall with Jeff. I thought my pictures were great, and then I looked at his. Wow, he has a great eye for framing, colors, etc. Plus, he does interesting things.

Huge improvement on RYNDAM. In Dec. I was able to access it from my cabin at all times, whereas a year ago I had to go to the internet room and it was awful, slow, kept cutting out. I assumed that there was a new system and was happy to hear it was going to be fleetwide. I'll be on the Amsterdam for 34 days starting late in April and sure hope it's all fine by then.

I had a problem while on the Maasdam in Dec. I tried both my e-mail account Yahoo and Cogeco mail and could not get through. Good thing I didn't really need to get any information for our flight departures. cost me the price of joining the late package.

We had the new service on the Prinsendam and for the first time ever I could do internet in the cabin :D

I usually went to the Crow's Nest as it is so pretty there - but it did work quite well. It still dropped of course on the TA portion but we never lost it.

Unbelievable - on my last TA we lost it for three days - a bit of a struggle on our last cruise - but we never lost it.

So hang in there - it will work - just give it time - they have to change a few things.

How did you know it was the new service and not the old?

Roy

When we were on the P'dam just before Jacqui the network name was still mtndsi, as it has been for many years, but it was faster than I've ever had on any other HAL ship. I believe they had some new 802.11n routers, but the same service provider, MTN.

Roy

When we were on the P'dam just before Jacqui the network name was still mtndsi, as it has been for many years, but it was faster than I've ever had on any other HAL ship. I believe they had some new 802.11n routers, but the same service provider, MTN.

I asked when I was onboard as I was impressed with the speed. I asked if they had the new system installed and they said yes. Perchance they were referring to the routers and not the system???

In any case, it was very good and definitely better than the last time on the Prinsendam and better than any other HAL ship I have been on ;)

When we were on the ship in May, my DH was impressed with the speed of the internet. He mentioned that it was faster then it has ever been so whatever they did then has nothing to do with the new system. I asked the office a question when on board and could tell they were trying to go online to find the answer and were unsuccessful. Also the photo shop was having issues but unsure what their problem was with their computer. Bingo is now run by computer and on the last day there was a problem with putting the game on the large screen. Again unsure the exact problem but it took almost 30 minutes and they started calling a game without it. Whatever the problems I really hope HAL gets things fixed or else I will not be able to get my DH on another HAL cruise.

• 1 month later...

World cruiser Jeff, normally upbeat and pro-HAL, is sorely vexed.

No Blog Today....

Lets see, why no blog today? I took over 800 photos so there is plenty to share so.... why? Oh yeah, almost forgot. The new zippy internet system that HAL has brought to us won't allow me to post my blog. Technical term for this.... It sucks! Do I sound ticked off? I hope not....

http://amazingvoyages2.blogspot.com/2014/02/no-blog-today.html#comment-form

World cruiser Jeff, normally upbeat and pro-HAL, is sorely vexed.

http://amazingvoyages2.blogspot.com/2014/02/no-blog-today.html#comment-form

Jeff has been on and off furious with the internet for this WC. At first it was a matter of slowness, non-existent connections or connections that cut out constantly, now it seems to be working but wouldn't allow access to blogspot.com.

I wonder if he will abandon ship. This is a huge deal to him, obviously, and the inconsistency of service with the internet is stressing him out seriously, putting quite a damper on his cruise.

Let's hope HAL gets this resolved!

Since HAL is not providing the service their passengers have contracted for, I wonder if they plan to charge them full price for internet service. In other words, do they care more about their "Signature of Excellence" image or the few bucks they are extorting from their passengers for this poor excuse of an internet service?

• 4 weeks later...

World cruiser Jeff mentions the internet frustrations again.

I can't imagine how this internet system will ever be fixed.....

This internet is beyond horrible. I cannot for the life of me figure out why HAL changed, unless to make more money of course. I forget sometimes that the worse the system performs (the longer it takes to accomplish something) the more money they make. I am really disappointed in HAL on the abysmal mess

http://amazingvoyages2.blogspot.com/2014/03/i-cant-imagine-how-this-internet-system.html#comment-form