New to Princess looking for information

fd851

Hello All, I am taking the Crown Princess to Mexico (and back, Lord Willing) in the spring. This is my first Princess cruise, RCCL is my usual line of choice. I have done 1 Carnival and 1 MSC. I only mention this for perspective, so you will understand my questions and speak to me in comparisons I may understand. I am looking for information to make the most of my cruise. Any and all pointers will be appreciated. So, lay it on me....tell me what to expect and what I need to know.

Thanks for your help

Hello All, I am taking the Crown Princess to Mexico (and back, Lord Willing) in the spring. This is my first Princess cruise, RCCL is my usual line of choice. I have done 1 Carnival and 1 MSC. I only mention this for perspective, so you will understand my questions and speak to me in comparisons I may understand. I am looking for information to make the most of my cruise. Any and all pointers will be appreciated. So, lay it on me....tell me what to expect and what I need to know.

Thanks for your help

Are you traveling to see Mexico and explore or just relax?

the more info on where you are going (ports and such ) and your interests can help other with pointers and advice

Thanks for your help

Ive done 5 mexico cruise and about 8 land base vacations there,,, my fav is PV ,, please provide more info on your tastes and I would be happy to assist.

Going to Cabo, been twice, so kind of know my way around there, also going to Puerto Vallarta, never been there, so info about it would be helpful, as well. My wife and I are south of 50, and very active. I can only sit in the sun so long.....much to her chagrin! So I guess the answer to your question would be a little bit of both. Cruise has 4 sea days, so there should be plenty of time for her to bask in the sun!

I guess I am looking for specific information on life onboard. What are the shows like, what kind of activities do they have, any must see or events on the show.

I hope that helps

Going to Cabo, been twice, so kind of know my way around there, also going to Puerto Vallarta, never been there, so info about it would be helpful, as well. My wife and I are south of 50, and very active. I can only sit in the sun so long.....much to her chagrin! So I guess the answer to your question would be a little bit of both. Cruise has 4 sea days, so there should be plenty of time for her to bask in the sun!

I guess I am looking for specific information on life onboard. What are the shows like, what kind of activities do they have, any must see or events on the show.

I hope that helps

As far as PV and if you are active, (with only one day there) A must do is the Zoo..

PV Zoo is great for getting up close to the animals and feeding them.. Ive been 3 times and will go again.

As far as the ship , never been on the Crown (all my Mexico cruises have been on the Sapphire and the Golden).. not sure what entertainment they do..

But I believe all the ships have a revolving schedule,,

If you would like more info on PV, there is a great PV travel forum on tripadvisor.com

Haven't been on the Crown, but if you want to know about Princess vs. the other lines, many of us can help.

Even though the only other line I've been on is Carnival, I can say:

Princess has a mini-fridge in every cabin. On most, if not all, of the ships, there's a self-service laundry on every passenger deck (except for Lido).

Not too many PA announcements (depending on the CD). On some ships, you'll just hear the noon announcement from the bridge, the announcement of arriving into port (or if a port is going to be missed), any requests for special needs (such as a medical emergency). The disembarkation process is "silent," meaning you'll be given a location to go to wait such as a lounge, and when it's your turn, color wise, an announcement will be made only in that room. (better than the old method as you won't have people hanging out in stairwells, etc.) Any announcements about that "last chance at bingo," will depend on the CD. Some know not to over do it.

The buffet stays open from early morning til about 11 PM or midnight. (I have heard some lines will close it between lunch and dinner) So you can get a mid-afternoon nosh to hold you over. The place to go to get lemonade too.

The International Cafe (not an enclosed eatery, but a series of display cases filled with food) is open 24/7. Very worth stopping by during your cruise. Chocolate chip cookies are fresh and warm!

There's a pizzeria and a grill by the pool that's open from 11 am to 11 pm. Also an ice cream stand with soft serve. They're by the pool that has "Movies Under the Stars" so very convenient to get something to eat while watching a movie. At night, there's bags of popcorn to snack on.

There's probably another good size pool on the Lido deck, but it may not be under a retractable roof as the Crown has been on the Atlantic side of the world (just about all the other ships that have been positioned here on the west coast have a covered pool).

Again, depending on the CD, the activities on Princess tends to be less sleazy pool-gamish. So you won't see (hopefully) the hairy leg or stuff a bathing suit with tennis balls pool games that are on Carnival.

For the OP,

So you are actually more interested in knowing the differences between Princess versus RCI than on the Mexico cruise ports?

If that assumption is correct, then other helpful info would be your general age and if you are traveling with older/younger family/friends etc.

I have been on 5 total RCI cruises-and I won't be back ever. I'm a few years shy of 60 if that helps.

I have taken 6 Princess cruises and like the overall decor of their ships compared to Princess. I personally think food is a bit better on Princess in the MDR but that is of course subjective and its a bit more formal in the MDR-I think that is a good thing. I really hate the atmosphere in RCCI's dining rooms with service being interrupted all of the time with very loud music,dancing and singing waiters doing the macarena,etc. Totally over that kind of schtick.

I do think that the Italian specialty restaurant on RCCI is much better than Sabatinis on Princess and I loved that Murder Mystery Dinner on RCI-totally fun.

I think Princess does their Lido food areas MUCH better-fabulous pizza compared to the cardboard RCI serves, and their Trident Grill with custom ordered brats,hot dogs,burgers is also very good. There is no equivalent to the International Cafe on Princess on any ship

RCCI coffee is better and its brewed. That was the only thing I liked better.

I am not into rock climbing walls,ice skating shows on RCCI anymore. But they are a good choice if you are taking kids or teens.

MUTS is great-like going to a drive in movie with gentle breezes,stars, and popcorn and cookies and milk served-ahhhh.

I personally like the more refined elegant decor of Princess ships compared to RCCI.

The Sanctuary area on Princess is to die for and if you have a lot of sea days I highly recommend that area. OMG it is wonderful. I don't think RCCI has anything like it at all.

If you decide to book Princess shore excursions you are not charged in advance like RCCI and its easier to cancel them if you choose.

That being said, I am currently trying to decide between taking the Royal Princess or trying my first Celebrity cruise in early March. I have long been curious to give Celebrity a try. But its hard to give up my free Internet minutes and priority boarding and the lovely cocktail hour with fabulous appetizers that I can get on Princess being Platinum.

I have not sailed on the Crown-but have been on Golden, Ruby (twice),Star, Emerald and Coral and have loved each ship.

I hope this helps and is at least partially the information you are looking for?

There is no rock climbing, ice skating or hairy chest contests.

You can go straight to your cabin upon embarkation unlike RCCL and Carnival.

Food is much better on Princesz (in my opinion). Princess is more laid back than the other 2 lines. We usually don't attend production shows but it seems it is better on RCCL.

There may be a beverage package... Those are in the trial process...

I've been on the Crown and most of it's sister ships.

Disclaimer: all of my impressions are generalizations. ;)The biggest differences you'll see on Princess that I can think of off the top of my head are:

Muster will be dignified - you'll sit in an air conditioned, comfortable room and listen to a longish muster drill. You do NOT put on your muster jacket until the very, very end and only IF you feel you need to do so. Bring your cruise card because they will scan it to record that you attended.

Buffet - It'll be a bit of a shock to you how small it is compared to Carnival. Don't worry - it works and Princess uses that same set up on all it's ships. Expect hot food when it's supposed to be hot and cold when it's supposed to be cold. There will be many delicious choices but perhaps not quite as many as Carnival.

Service - This is the one thing that is by far the biggest difference in my experience of 5 Carnival cruises and 19 Princess ones so far. When you're in the Horizon Court (buffet) you will be amazed by the service! There are waiters there to assist you with anything you need. They actually clean the tables, clear plates from the tables, offer you refills of water, tea, lemonade, or coffee. Dinner service is very civilized for a buffet IMO.

Everywhere you go on the ship, you'll notice the employees are generally nice and welcoming. This has not been the case with my 5 Carnival experiences.

Other observations - You won't be herded around like cattle and you won't be "treated" to long announcements. At noon, there will be an announcement by the captain and CD and perhaps once as you're leaving a port, but that's it.

Cabins - Although I appreciate Carnival's sofa in the balcony cabins, the cabins on Princess are generally much nicer and much better appointed. There are wood accents and rarely ever broken drawers, chipped counter tops and stains.

Atmosphere - Truly the reason why we choose Princess over Carnival and even RCI. It's quiet, intimate and there's an understated elegance. You'll rarely see people walking around with their beer bottles while in their tank shirts, cussing or yelling across the atrium.

I'm sure others can elaborate on other differences.

Yes, the differences between cruise lines are exactly what I am looking for.

I kind of thought that the activities would be more "reserved" than those on carnival or rccl. Are there any activities that I must not miss? For instance, on RCCL, the quest has to be experienced once to be believed. Or Carnival has their comedians every night. The movies sound nice, not sure I have ever had popcorn on a cruise ship.

Also, as a previous Carnival Cruiser (just 1) I think that puts us somewhere (very low) in their rewards program. Does Princess recognize that, and how do I go about making that connection? Also, what would comparable recognition get me, perhaps an invitation to a welcome back party?

I can say this on this board, but I thought the deserts were better on Carnival than RCCL, they actually used sweet chocolate....do we have that to look forward to on Princess?

I would also like a little more information about the Sanctuary area. What is included in your cruise fare and what is extra? For instance, they advertise Ipods loaded with music, do those cost extra?

Please keep your insights coming....they are helping me very much!

Thanks

After 6 cruises with Princess (Captain's Circle Platinum Level) you get complimentary credits for internet service, varing based on the length of the cruise.

Princess often hosts a daily cocktail hour with a discounted cocktail of the day and complimentary hor d'oeuvres for Platinum and Elite (16 or more cruises) members.

If you are an active military service member or veteran you can get immediate free onboard credits which vary depending on the length of the cruise.

If you own 100 shares of Carnival stock you can get additional onboard credits for any of the Carnival owned lines which include Princess. RCCL offers a similar shareholder benefit for travelers on RCCL or Carnival.

You have to apply for these OBC benefits prior to the departure of the cruise.

I don't believe prior cruise credits are interchangeable between the various Carnival owned lines.

Not the OP but want to say thanks for the great information. I'm looking at booking our first Princess cruise on the Crown (Alaska with our fifteen year old-- his choice, and he chose Princess after researching itineraries and what the different lines offered onboard for Alaska).

We've sailed mainly on Disney, twice on RCI, and just last October on Carnival Dream-- which I liked a lot more than I thought I would. Did miss some of the more "elegant" Disney touches in dining service, and around the ship in general, and the overall look of the ship (Disney's ships are beautiful Art Deco and Art Nouveau styles). After all that I'm reading, I'm thinking we might be all right on Princess. We like to dress for dinner, like the slower service at that meal, etc. We considered all the lines and his choice is Princess. I even offered Disney at twice the price. (He said that wouldn't be very economical, and we shouldn't waste money that way-- we should spend it on excursions). Go figure.

A few comments:

The Crown is a very nice ship. It has 4 outdoor pools. Two main pools mid ship, and two adult only pools the Terrace Pool aft and the Lotus Pool fwd. The Lotus Pool has steam and sauna rooms at no charge.

Boarding, go direct to your cabin, it will be ready. One 750ml bottle of wine/pp over 21 can be boarded at no charge. Additional bottles subject to a $15/bot corkage charge. No limit on bringing on board water, or soft drinks. Beer and spirits can not be brought on board when boarding.

Tipping, Princess adds a Hotel Charge (The Auto Tip) to your folio each day. It is $11.50pp and $12.00/pp for mini and full suites. This covers all the tips for waiters, room stewards and others. Many provide additional tips to their room steward and to their waiters if they have the same ones throughout the cruise.

In case you are not aware, You can receive OBC if you are active or discharged military. Look up the details on the Princess website. OBC is also available if you own Carnival Corporation Stock. The Military credit is per person and the Carnival Corp. credit is per cabin. These are additive to any other OBC's you may have.

In the evening there will be live entertainment all over the ship from production shows and guest entertainers in the theater, comic or singers in Explorer's lounge, soft music and dancing in the Wheelhouse Bar, pop music in Club Fusion, Theme Nights, Games shows, piano players/singers in Crooners and Adagio Lounges. There is also Movies Under the Stars (MUTS) and a late night DJ in Skywalker's.

Attached is the latest dining guide from Princess explaining all the dining options. It's pretty accurate.

Hope this information is helpful.

Dining Guide - Princess 1213.pdf

A few comments:

The Crown is a very nice ship. It has 4 outdoor pools. Two main pools mid ship, and two adult only pools the Terrace Pool aft and the Lotus Pool fwd. The Lotus Pool has steam and sauna rooms at no charge.

Boarding, go direct to your cabin, it will be ready. One 750ml bottle of wine/pp over 21 can be boarded at no charge. Additional bottles subject to a $15/bot corkage charge. No limit on bringing on board water, or soft drinks. Beer and spirits can not be brought on board when boarding.

Tipping, Princess adds a Hotel Charge (The Auto Tip) to your folio each day. It is $11.50pp and $12.00/pp for mini and full suites. This covers all the tips for waiters, room stewards and others. Many provide additional tips to their room steward and to their waiters if they have the same ones throughout the cruise.

In case you are not aware, You can receive OBC if you are active or discharged military. Look up the details on the Princess website. OBC is also available if you own Carnival Corporation Stock. The Military credit is per person and the Carnival Corp. credit is per cabin. These are additive to any other OBC's you may have.

In the evening there will be live entertainment all over the ship from production shows and guest entertainers in the theater, comic or singers in Explorer's lounge, soft music and dancing in the Wheelhouse Bar, pop music in Club Fusion, Theme Nights, Games shows, piano players/singers in Crooners and Adagio Lounges. There is also Movies Under the Stars (MUTS) and a late night DJ in Skywalker's.

Attached is the latest dining guide from Princess explaining all the dining options. It's pretty accurate.

Hope this information is helpful.

Thanks for the good info.

Yes, the differences between cruise lines are exactly what I am looking for.

I kind of thought that the activities would be more "reserved" than those on carnival or rccl. Are there any activities that I must not miss? For instance, on RCCL, the quest has to be experienced once to be believed. Or Carnival has their comedians every night. The movies sound nice, not sure I have ever had popcorn on a cruise ship.

Also, as a previous Carnival Cruiser (just 1) I think that puts us somewhere (very low) in their rewards program. Does Princess recognize that, and how do I go about making that connection? Also, what would comparable recognition get me, perhaps an invitation to a welcome back party?

I can say this on this board, but I thought the deserts were better on Carnival than RCCL, they actually used sweet chocolate....do we have that to look forward to on Princess?

I would also like a little more information about the Sanctuary area. What is included in your cruise fare and what is extra? For instance, they advertise Ipods loaded with music, do those cost extra?

Please keep your insights coming....they are helping me very much!

Thanks

Frank:

The sanctuary is an adult only place on the ship for people to relax. It's not free, their is a daily charge, but some people want a place to go away to where it's more quiet. They will supply you with Ipod loaded with music and you can order food from room service. Perhaps someone that has actually used the sanctuary will post a reply. If you post a thread with a specific question about the sanctuary you will probably get more responses.

Tom:)

Thanks for your help

same here Frank. RCCI many times plus a Costa and Celebrity so would be great to hear pointers/tips/stories etc (ps very excited :-) )

For the OP,

So you are actually more interested in knowing the differences between Princess versus RCI than on the Mexico cruise ports?

If that assumption is correct, then other helpful info would be your general age and if you are traveling with older/younger family/friends etc.

I have been on 5 total RCI cruises-and I won't be back ever. I'm a few years shy of 60 if that helps.

I have taken 6 Princess cruises and like the overall decor of their ships compared to Princess. I personally think food is a bit better on Princess in the MDR but that is of course subjective and its a bit more formal in the MDR-I think that is a good thing. I really hate the atmosphere in RCCI's dining rooms with service being interrupted all of the time with very loud music,dancing and singing waiters doing the macarena,etc. Totally over that kind of schtick.

I do think that the Italian specialty restaurant on RCCI is much better than Sabatinis on Princess and I loved that Murder Mystery Dinner on RCI-totally fun.

I think Princess does their Lido food areas MUCH better-fabulous pizza compared to the cardboard RCI serves, and their Trident Grill with custom ordered brats,hot dogs,burgers is also very good. There is no equivalent to the International Cafe on Princess on any ship

RCCI coffee is better and its brewed. That was the only thing I liked better.

I am not into rock climbing walls,ice skating shows on RCCI anymore. But they are a good choice if you are taking kids or teens.

MUTS is great-like going to a drive in movie with gentle breezes,stars, and popcorn and cookies and milk served-ahhhh.

I personally like the more refined elegant decor of Princess ships compared to RCCI.

The Sanctuary area on Princess is to die for and if you have a lot of sea days I highly recommend that area. OMG it is wonderful. I don't think RCCI has anything like it at all.

If you decide to book Princess shore excursions you are not charged in advance like RCCI and its easier to cancel them if you choose.

That being said, I am currently trying to decide between taking the Royal Princess or trying my first Celebrity cruise in early March. I have long been curious to give Celebrity a try. But its hard to give up my free Internet minutes and priority boarding and the lovely cocktail hour with fabulous appetizers that I can get on Princess being Platinum.

I have not sailed on the Crown-but have been on Golden, Ruby (twice),Star, Emerald and Coral and have loved each ship.

I hope this helps and is at least partially the information you are looking for?

brilliant for me to read this thank you! Im with you on all you say about RCCI so this was particularly interesting in how you compared the two. Im going on Emerald (my first Princess) and after seeing that cant wait even more now - thank you :-) (ps it took me a long time to work out MUTS ;-)

Glad you're giving Princess a try. :)

Princess is our favorite (best fit for us) but we sometimes cruise on others as well for extra 7 nighters. Fun to try different cruise lines and ships.

Normally, Princess has a very good passenger base. Lots from the UK who are polite and a joy to be around.

While food is extremely subjective, we can have dinner in the MDR on most nights on Princess cruise. On RCCL we almost always go to a Specialty restaurant for dinner.

The lounge/bar entertainment is better to us on Princess. Especially, like Crooner's .

Once again, we like RCCL... just like Princess better.

LuLu

~~~~

As stated credit for other Carnival Corp cruises like CCL is not transferable. Only credit on Princess cruises is counted for the elite program. Military veteran OBC is a nice touch. One plus over RCI is that Princess allows you to add your OBC such as shareholder, veteran and FCC OBC together where RCI will not let you do it.

Even though the HC (buffet) closes at 11 pm, the room remains open much like CCL and not like RCI who locks the room. The ice machine, water is always available.

When on a Princess ship I feel like I am at sea since it can be seen through many windows. I like to go down to the 24/7 IC, get a snack and sit by the window looking out at the sea. You can't do that on most RCI ships. I also like the multiple adult pools and the pizzaria and grill right by the main pool. I do agree that the RCI pizza tastes like cardboard.

The overhead jumbo screen above the main pool always has something playing whether it be sporting events, concerts or movies. A couple years ago we watched the superbowl sitting outside by the pool (or some in the pool/hot tub!) and they set up an extensive finger food layout for our convenience. It was a very nice touch.