Royal Princess cabins L107/L108 M107/M108 - change in balcony access during sea days

SteveInCA

How about M105. Not as big as the corner but still looks larger that regular mini suite. It is priced as a deluxe. Would balcony access be any different? There is only 1 left on our cruise and I am considering moving from our starboard mini on Baja.

I just reserved M107 on the Royal for the April 25, 2015 TA and wonder if anyone knows the size of this cabin. I searched and found photos of the cabin and it looks like it has two distinct areas and a smaller couch and plus it has a wrap-around balcony.

Has anyone been in any of these bow cabins in rough weather? We have sailed in a Window Suite three times, so if the balcony is locked on some sea days, that is OK.

I was in L108 for the April 2014 transatlantic/Baltics, etc. Loved the cabin but be aware that the winds combined with speed can make those front cabins vibrate and drone. This may not affect you on the Marina deck (it did on Lido) but a couple of nights I couldn't sleep because of the noise. I called down to pax services and they alerted the bridge who tweaked the coordinates, I think, and the drone went away. I really loved this cabin. However, I booked it when it was the lowest category (therefore lowest costing mini-suite). I would book it again at that lower price. I'm not quite sure I'd pay a premium for it, though. Have a great trip!

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I loved the balcony but I almost got blown overboard! ...slight exaggeration . the loungechairs did take a beating however, on the rougher sea days .our cabin was Lshaped which made it easier if we wanted to watch different tv shows.I would probably select the same cabin if I could be guaranteed smoother seas.

Going on the Ruby in January... Chose a mini suite lower and aft this time

Merry Christmas & Happy new year!

• 2 months later...

Just curious where you sailed to on your Thanksgiving cruise when the winds were so bad. Thanks

I loved the balcony but I almost got blown overboard! ...slight exaggeration . the loungechairs did take a beating however, on the rougher sea days .our cabin was Lshaped which made it easier if we wanted to watch different tv shows.I would probably select the same cabin if I could be guaranteed smoother seas.

Going on the Ruby in January... Chose a mini suite lower and aft this time

Merry Christmas & Happy new year!

• 1 month later...
I just booked the same cabin, please advise me of the locked balcony issue and maybe some good things on the cabin..

Balcony is not locked - ever. That being said, it can be pretty windy up there at times. Enough so, you may not be able to actually stand up/sit down out there during the windy times (if any). Also, you have to keep your drapes closed at night in order not to interfere with the bridge. The interior is great - two separate rooms and lots of space. Pretty quiet, too, unless its really windy then you might hear a drone and feel a vibration. Have a great trip!

I just booked the same cabin, please advise me of the locked balcony issue and maybe some good things on the cabin..

We sailed in this cabin over Easter. I can't tell you how much we enjoyed the cabin. It was sometimes very windy out there but never so bad I couldn't be out there for at least a few minutes. Most of the time we could sit outside especially in the daytime. Another thing we really enjoyed was the big picture window in the bedroom. We still had a great view even when we didn't want to be outside.there was a very strong Tradewind most of our cruise out of the east about 25 kn which caused most of the wind. When we were docked in Aruba it was still windy out there because of that and we chose to have our balcony dinner inside by the big picture window. We are doing this again next year.

I should mention that the door was never locked there isn't a lock on it. However depending on the direction of the wind it could be very difficult to open the door and it seems as though it was locked.this happened on several occasions mostly in the evening.

Edited by yoyosma
Add info.

Liz,

Thanks for the update. We are sailing in M107 departing on Saturday on a Transatlantic cruise. I will post my observations when we return. I am hoping for smooth sailing.

I did L108 on the transatlantic last year. Loved the cabin but, boy, was it windy and the swells were major. At some points, we couldn't even get the balcony door open because of the wind. At night, sometimes there was a drone and vibration from the speed and wind combo. But overall, these are great cabins!

• 1 month later...
I just reserved M107 on the Royal for the April 25, 2015 TA and wonder if anyone knows the size of this cabin. I searched and found photos of the cabin and it looks like it has two distinct areas and a smaller couch and plus it has a wrap-around balcony.

Has anyone been in any of these bow cabins in rough weather? We have sailed in a Window Suite three times, so if the balcony is locked on some sea days, that is OK.

Hi candide333, I'm curious how you liked the cabin (M107). We are booked in that cabin in a few weeks. Please share your thoughts and photos!

• 1 month later...
Hi candide333, I'm curious how you liked the cabin (M107). We are booked in that cabin in a few weeks. Please share your thoughts and photos!

I doubt DH would book this cabin again. We always have either a Mini Suite or a Window Suite and he felt the two rooms seemed smaller. The mini sofa does not have a fold out, but I loved the balcony, which is huge. Wish I knew how to post with my iPad so that you could see the size. On our TA we had some rough seas and the stabilizers created a tremendous noise, but it didn't feel as rough as in a MS or WS. The biggest obstacle was the teak furniture crashing into the sides of the cabin. DH wanted to go out on the balcony to stop the crashing, but the winds were so strong, I wouldn't let him. Because we had Traditional dining at the other end of the ship, I got my exercise, over 10,000 steps a day. But sail away and in port were spectacular on the balcony.

Edited by candide333

We were in L108 and absolutely loved it.

We always stay in minis and this felt spacious to us

I liked the closets along the entrance wall on the left.

It felt like 2 separate rooms.

The big window in the bedroom was very nice too.

Hope you enjoy

We are looking to change to one of the forward suites for Oct. trip. Never had a suite on Princess and never sailed this far forward, I like the no balcony lights which is what made me look at this. So question do you get to see the night sky due to no lights forward?

I don't sleep well except on a cruise so no sleep due to noise will not matter to me. Those would be the only items of interest for us.

Thanks as always

We are looking to change to one of the forward suites for Oct. trip. Never had a suite on Princess and never sailed this far forward, I like the no balcony lights which is what made me look at this. So question do you get to see the night sky due to no lights forward?

I don't sleep well except on a cruise so no sleep due to noise will not matter to me. Those would be the only items of interest for us.

Thanks as always

They do require you to keep the balcony lights off at night and the curtains closed in the cabin, but we often went out and sat on the balcony in the dark. It was fantastic! We had L107 I think (or was it L108--one of the corner minis with the huge cabin and wrap around balcony). It was quite windy, but that really didn't bother us much. The balcony railing is solid, not the clear Plexiglas/glass on others, so you really can't see the ocean sitting down, but you can hear it and definitely see the night sky.

In addition to two lounge chairs, we had a table with four chairs and two side tables next to the loungers.

We had a forward balcony on the Royal. L104. The Stars were AMAZING!!!!!!!! We were in the Caribbean. The only time it was too windy on the balcony was before we sailed from Ft. Lauderdale. :eek:

Cheers, Denise.

We sailed in L108, same cruise as dchip. I was actually surprised by the amount of light from above on our balcony. It came from the sanctuary, they leave the lights on all night. But the star gazing was good when it was clear out. I think only the end minis got the teak furniture L107 and L108, M107 and M108 but I could be wrong.

There were a couple of times when opening and closing balcony door was difficult, I had to get the room steward to close them once, because of the wind. However I could find places to sit out there that weren't too windy. Solid railing blocks some of it.

Hi Liz.

Your balcony wasn't as protected as ours. But it sure was bigger! I didn't notice any lights from the Sanctuary. Maybe being on the corner made that difference for you.

Wanted to let you know DH had his surgery 8 weeks ago and is fabulous!!!!!!

Cheers, Denise

Denise, thanks for letting me know your husband is doing so well! I hope your next cruise gets to be more active.

I also sailed in L101 and L103 and had the same light from above in both of those cabins. The light was actually helpful since I could see to move out there without the cabin lights. And actually, the side balcony in M108 was pretty protected from sun, wind, and rain. We dragged our loungers over there for most of the trip and enjoyed them bunches but opening and closing the balcony door would cause a problem if the wind was right. I can also remember how quiet it could be out there at night when the wind wasn't blowing. Really quiet. I love those cabins - we have them booked for 3 more cruises in 2016 and 2017.

Has anyone seen M118 cabin . We booked and got confirmation that states obstructed although Princess rep did not mention during booking. Note says "blue" balcony glass. Princess says that wouldn't be obstruction but they have new instructions not to discuss nature of obstructions-cruiser must accept or decline the cabin. We are wondering if the obstruction is the edge of the bridge extending out the side on Deck14 below. Any help would be appreciated. We are Transatlantic April 22 and looking forward to this ship.