Airfare from the midwest makes me want to cry

ilovethesun

Have you looked at Allegiant out of Chicago/Rockford or other small airport within a few hours from your home? We fly Allegiant out of Lexington, Ky which is a two hour drive for us but the fares are so much more affordable for our family of 4. Be prepared to pay for both carry on and checked bags, assigned seats, and any other amenities though. Even so , airfare is usually half of what we would pay on any other line. Also, I don't pay for assigned seats, just take what they give us at check in. So far it has never happened that we were separated in the seat assignment.
Also know that Allegiant has NO interline agreements and minimal flight schedules. So if there is any kind of mechanical or other issue with your flight, you will have to wait for the next Allegiant flight before you even try for an open seat. Which may mean several days. In general, Allegiant is a somewhat risky option when you are making time-critical flights to a cruise.

Sis got engaged last summer & decided the weddings in Florida. I immediately looked for an airline point card that would help me & son fly there. I found the Chase Ink business card to offer a pretty good deal, and I also Found out you don't HAVE to own a bisiness to get a business card.

You can research it & find the best deal for you. Long story short, with the 50K bonus points Chase gave me for spending $5,000 in 3 months, my RT tickets from Houston to Tampa will cost me $6.36 + the points I have racked up from September to December. The points from The next 2months will go towards paying for our hotel room.

NOTE: I already charge EVERYTHING on a CC each month then pay it off in full to get free gift cards or merchandise. Been doing that for 8-9 years now.

Air travel used to be a pleasurable way to travel but the people who perpetrated 911 ruined that for everyone. The federal government got involved big-time and made it worse. Then the airlines got greedy and added fee after fee then the government keeps adding fees and the result is what we have now: expensive flights where everyone is ticked off. For the money the flights cost you might as well drive. I rather take a whipping than have to fly.

Wow. I find that a lot of it is in your attitude. If you decide that air travel is going to be a big pain and that it's a horrible experience, then it will be, because you'll focus on every single minor detail that isn't perfect and you'll convince yourself that it's horrible... a self-fulfilling prophecy of sorts. On the other hand, if you accept it for what it is, plan accordingly and go with the flow, it really doesn't have to be a bad experience at all.

As for 911 "ruining it," what's really changed? A few more dollars on the ticket price as a security fee? In and of itself that's hardly noticeable. Security? Ok, so you have to take your shoes off now, and limit the liquids you carry onboard. But again- it's all in the attitude and planning. I fly all the time and don't find it to be a hassle. Rather than moaning and groaning about how I can't bring my gallon bottle of shampoo in my carry on, I enjoy the freedom of packing light. Instead of wining and stressing about the hassle of security I plan accordingly- I wear slip on shoes, I avoid chunky metal jewelry on travel day, I pack my carry on so that it's easy to quickly take out what I need to, and I allow extra time so I'm not panicked if I get to the airport and the line is a bit longer than usual.

As for the airlines getting "greedy," understand that most of them barely turn a profit. It's not like they're adding fees because they're greedy; they add fees to stay in business. You do realize that when an airline goes out of business, competition is reduced and when supply is reduced prices generally go up. Economics 101.

:rolleyes:

Security? Ok, so you have to take your shoes off now, and limit the liquids you carry onboard.

Nit-picky comment- I agree with your post, but the shoe and liquid hassles were started well after 9/11.

Edited by kenish

Thanks all! I'm leaning more and more toward driving. Flying would be $1000. Driving would cost us about $500 in gas. DH wants to rent a car to save ours the mileage but that adds another $400 or so (unless there is a trick to that? The one way rentals are ridiculous...). Still half the price of flying, I guess.

Your DH is on the right track. Assuming your car is 5 years old, paid off, and gets about 25mpg on the highway, the operating cost is 65 cents per mile. That includes wear and tear, depreciation, insurance, etc. For the 3000 mile round trip that's $1950 and doesn't include meals, traffic tickets, parking in Miami, tolls, etc. Also your time is worth something too!

A rental car will definitely save a lot of the wear and tear issues...sounds like DH has done the math. You may be able to avoid a one-way drop fee for the trip north...many rental car companies end up with a glut of cars in the southern states in winter and need to re-deploy them north. If the one-way fee for the trip south is $400 as you commented, it may be cheaper to pay parking and the extra rental days and return the same car.

I think you will be hard-pressed to beat airfare once you get past the sticker shock. Fares are still a good value, all things considered.

prices for our Feb 23 cruise out of Port Canaveral are between $650.00(SW) and over $800.00(AA &UAL).no way I'm paying that pp for 4 people. We rented a 15 person van(yes there is a total of 15 people going) and the breakdown with gas included is $120.00 pp, longer drive but saving over $2000.00 is worth it.

Are you renting a trailer for your luggage?

Your DH is on the right track. Assuming your car is 5 years old, paid off, and gets about 25mpg on the highway, the operating cost is 65 cents per mile. That includes wear and tear, depreciation, insurance, etc. For the 3000 mile round trip that's $1950 and doesn't include meals, traffic tickets, parking in Miami, tolls, etc. Also your time is worth something too!

A rental car will definitely save a lot of the wear and tear issues...sounds like DH has done the math. You may be able to avoid a one-way drop fee for the trip north...many rental car companies end up with a glut of cars in the southern states in winter and need to re-deploy them north. If the one-way fee for the trip south is $400 as you commented, it may be cheaper to pay parking and the extra rental days and return the same car.

I think you will be hard-pressed to beat airfare once you get past the sticker shock. Fares are still a good value, all things considered.

I agree with you. $500. may look like a great deal if you start having car trouble. Then there is the headaches of weather and traffic. I feel the cost, stress of air travel is off set by the lack of road time.

Thanks everyone! It's been a while since I have planned a cruise, and therefore a while since I've been on the boards! I miss all you very kind, helpful people. :D

I think my goal is to watch airfare and book if it is probably below $400 or something. I have to set a price in my mind where it is worth it. We don't mind flying, FIL is a retired pilot so we have spent our entire married lives flying all around and we could fly standby but during the holidays it's totally not worth it when you have somewhere you NEED to be.

DH says through his company he gets price reductions on car rentals and kenish, you are right - I looked and it is almost cheaper to rent the car for the whole week, pay for parking and avoid the one way drop fee. So odd. I think I will call around and get more info on that!

Hee hee, I'm kinda giddy. The planning is always my favorite part...

Happy Sails!

Nit-picky comment- I agree with your post, but the shoe and liquid hassles were started well after 9/11.

Thanks for clarifying. Yeah, at this point it's hard to remember what changed right after 9/11, and what changed later after additional wack jobs like the shoe bomber pulled their stunts. Either way, while the security experience is different than it used to be, it really doesn't have to be the hassle some posters seem to perceive it to be. As I told him- you know what to expect, just be prepared for it and it's not a big deal.

Southwest flies non stop out of Milwaukee to ft lauderdale. It would be a bit of a drive but there may be savings there. Of course their flight schedules are not out yet for Dec.

We usually fly out of Minneapolis because it's an hour and a half drive however flights to Tampa were $600-700. I found nonstop on Southwest out of Milwaukee for $388. We have 4 in our family so it does add up too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Forums mobile app

Touched on by a few....airfares and schedules for your timeframe are NOT yet available.

Most legacy airlines do not post until minimum 330 days prior to flight date.

Low fare carriers even less (Southwest, Allegiant, Airtran).

Your anxiety may be a little early. :)

As for Allegiant, I cannot support one way or another the post by FlyerTalker that it may be several days in the case of mechanical problems.

We fly Allegiant often and have had excellent, on time results. Not perfect however.

Once, delayed due to weather at our destination.

Once, flight cancelled for mechanical reasons. Allegiant put us into a hotel overnight and had a different plane flown in overnight from Las Vegas. A day lost, but not several days.

Is this typical? I dunno. More typical is on-time and within my budget.

Okay, points well taken. I won't jump the gun quite yet... I know I should wait a bit. We have a lot of options. Actually live in Peoria and allegiant flies from here. We are close enough to St. Louis, Midway, Bloomington, Rockford, etc. I'll check again in June. I just like to plan.

How early to I have to book to get "early saver?"

You are trying to book for a holiday period and surprised prices are high? SMH.

Try adjusting your travel dates by a few days and spend some time in Florida pre or post. Look at alternate airports and rent a car.

Autocorrect responsible for most typos...

You are trying to book for a holiday period and surprised prices are high? SMH.

No, not particularly surprised. We've sailed around this time before and it has never been this high but this time my airfare is x4 so it just feels different. I know traveling over the holidays has a premium, just trying to make sure I don't miss out on some insider information!

Thanks everyone! It's been a while since I have planned a cruise, and therefore a while since I've been on the boards! I miss all you very kind, helpful people. :D

I think my goal is to watch airfare and book if it is probably below $400 or something. I have to set a price in my mind where it is worth it. We don't mind flying, FIL is a retired pilot so we have spent our entire married lives flying all around and we could fly standby but during the holidays it's totally not worth it when you have somewhere you NEED to be.

DH says through his company he gets price reductions on car rentals and kenish, you are right - I looked and it is almost cheaper to rent the car for the whole week, pay for parking and avoid the one way drop fee. So odd. I think I will call around and get more info on that!

Hee hee, I'm kinda giddy. The planning is always my favorite part...

Happy Sails!

Better clarify unlimited mileage and that you are allowed to take the car out if a certain geographic area. Last year I rented a car in New York and it was expressly written I to the contract that it couldn't ravel outside if NY/NJ/CT, I asked them it add in PA which they were happy to do, but had I gone I to any other state, technically I was I. Violation if the contract and liable I. The case of an accident, or worse yet driving a technically "stolen" car.

Better clarify unlimited mileage and that you are allowed to take the car out if a certain geographic area. Last year I rented a car in New York and it was expressly written I to the contract that it couldn't ravel outside if NY/NJ/CT, I asked them it add in PA which they were happy to do, but had I gone I to any other state, technically I was I. Violation if the contract and liable I. The case of an accident, or worse yet driving a technically "stolen" car.

Yeah I've run in to that too, with Enterprise. I rented in Illinois and it was limited to IL/IN/WI, but I wanted to go to MI. They were willing to add it in, but I am glad I noticed that restriction before I hit the road to Saugatuck.

Yeah I've run in to that too, with Enterprise. I rented in Illinois and it was limited to IL/IN/WI, but I wanted to go to MI. They were willing to add it in, but I am glad I noticed that restriction before I hit the road to Saugatuck.

Mine definitely wasn't Enterprise. Probably Hertz or Dollar, but don't hold me to that. But definitely not Enterprise. It was one of the rental places you can take the Airtrain to at EWR, and I don't think it was Budget due to our corporate contract with them.

Depending upon where you are leaving from and where you are heading to you might try AMTRAK. Here on the east coast I have seen Raleigh NC to Miami for $140 RT- the trip is about 24 hours but free baggage, free wifi &- get up and walk around, etc. We have done this to DisneyWorld once and it was a blast, but we didn't worry about possibly missing a ship if the train got held up for 8 hours. Charlie

Take a look at flight out of Milwaukee. Flights were $400+ RT out of midway to FLL but $258 out of MKE. It will be a longer drive for us (2 hours vs 40 mins) and we'll have to pay for parking but will still save us quite a bit and we were able to get an earlier nonstop out of FLL.

I'm from Rockford. Hate going to O'Hare for flights. We used Southwest both times we've gone to a cruise port. I like that your checked bag is free. I like the rates and have found them to be cheaper most of the time. And as a fellow OCD Planner, I like the Early Bird Option which allows you to relinquish the worry of "checking in" to Southwest. This way we didn't have to worry about checking in for our flight 24 hours ahead of time to get our seats as we are on the ship at that time. Early Bird makes it so much easier.

We have flown to New Orleans for our cruises twice. Once from Midway and then last year from Milwaukee. Hands down, Milwaukee was the easiest and it's only about 1-1/2 hours at most from Rockford, depending on the traffic and weather. We will be using them again in November to fly down to Orlando for The Liberty out of Port Canaveral.

I've flown out of Rockford once. We went to Vegas and I found them to be more expensive; including paying for checked bags, seat selection if you want to ensure sitting together, and paying for carryon bags as well. However, that said, the convenience, free parking, and small size/less crowded really helped to make up for the cost.

I am flying out of Rockford again in February to Phoenix to take my mother to see her sister. Again, found the fares to be a bit expensive (around 860.00 for the both of us.) But free parking, convenience of being only 20 minutes from my house, and the smaller airport/less stress for mother all make it worthwhile.

So, I am trying to plan a cruise for my family of 4 for next Christmas or NYE (I'm looking at either the 8 night Breeze or the 6 night Breeze). I really want to sail out of Miami because I'd like to be on the newer ship - my kids would LOVE waterworks, I want to try Guy's Burgers, etc. We have never sailed with our kids (except in the med, while we lived in Europe) and the airfare seriously is putting a damper on my plans.

We would fly out of O'Hare and right now it looks like flights to MIA are $500! I suppose we could make it happen but I just cringe at the idea of spending that much on a flight. We are considering driving but 20 hours in the car...

Anyone have any suggestions on finding cheaper flights or is this just the day and age? We used to fly to Miami for $250!

And maybe I'm being too picky about the ship but am afraid if we sail from anywhere further north, we won't get far enough south in the winter to be warm enough to enjoy the Caribbean. Am I being silly?

Thanks for any input/insight. I'm new to this planning for 4 thing!

Thanks!

angie

We were in the same boat as far as airfair. The only difference is we dont book over holidays. We booked SW with a direct flight rt to tpa for under $500. Fll or mia was $200-300 higher during feb/march. A drive for us in central mi would cost us about $450 rt including 2 nights hotel. We have been looking at airfair THEN booking a cruise.

We have a BOGO voucher to use and plenty of vacation time, so are looking at getaways in the fall. Airfare IS really high right now. I fly out of Wisconsin and it's $100-$200 more than usual, and I fly frequently. Almost $500 for us to go anywhere in the U.S. out of Madison.

Best prices seem to be about 40-90 days out, in my experience of booking work travel. So, I'm hopeful that I'm just dreaming too early. :-)

I'm from Rockford. Hate going to O'Hare for flights. We used Southwest both times we've gone to a cruise port. I like that your checked bag is free. I like the rates and have found them to be cheaper most of the time. And as a fellow OCD Planner, I like the Early Bird Option which allows you to relinquish the worry of "checking in" to Southwest. This way we didn't have to worry about checking in for our flight 24 hours ahead of time to get our seats as we are on the ship at that time. Early Bird makes it so much easier.

We have flown to New Orleans for our cruises twice. Once from Midway and then last year from Milwaukee. Hands down, Milwaukee was the easiest and it's only about 1-1/2 hours at most from Rockford, depending on the traffic and weather. We will be using them again in November to fly down to Orlando for The Liberty out of Port Canaveral.

I've flown out of Rockford once. We went to Vegas and I found them to be more expensive; including paying for checked bags, seat selection if you want to ensure sitting together, and paying for carryon bags as well. However, that said, the convenience, free parking, and small size/less crowded really helped to make up for the cost.

I am flying out of Rockford again in February to Phoenix to take my mother to see her sister. Again, found the fares to be a bit expensive (around 860.00 for the both of us.) But free parking, convenience of being only 20 minutes from my house, and the smaller airport/less stress for mother all make it worthwhile.

I always look at Rockford, as it's about equal distance for us to Milwaukee as it is Rockford. The destinations are just so limited and prices aren't usually as good as I'd like. The free parking is a big incentive, though.