Caribbean Princess Norovirus

cruising sister

I have gotten noro twice while cruising.

The first time I was in bed 2 days and not even wanting to eat [or get up]. The second time I had mild nausea for a few hours, but still required to stay in my room 48hrs.

My point is, you develop some resistance when you suffer it. So the many of you who HAVE gotten noro while onboard, the good news is you not only will find it harder to contract but it will be much milder. Not wishing you any bad luck, but perhaps it wont completely ruin your vacation. We can hope.

Doug

We are on the Carribbean princess right now. We were stopped in heavy fog but are moving easily now and they anticipate our arrival at 1100

Per a crew member 11 people currently have the noro virus and will be off loaded first and have to clear medical in Houston. After that they will start normal disembarkation.

They ship is operating normally with shops open and food court available.

Currently you are not allowed to touch any food, beverage dispensers etc. but it isn't inconvenient

We missed our port in Roitan due to bad weather and rough seas Rain in all ports.

Still had a great time!

carma, did they add a port to make up for Roatan?

No they did not add a port. Just an additional day at sea.

We are set to dock at 1130 and begin disembarkation at 1145 and it will take 3 hours.

Thanks for keeping us updated - we are scheduled for next week. I was wondering if you could tell me what the weather was like for the entire cruise...warm, hot, rain, choppy water, etc? Hope you had a great cruise!! Lori

Just received email regarding January 11 sailing about the Caribbean Princess and norovirus. Embarkation will be delayed by two hours. Has anyone heard from any passengers on the current cruise to how many are sick?

Noro can be on every cruise and every ship.

Some you hear about some you don't.

I bring a large zip lock bag for the remote control. It still works in the bag, it drives my DH crazy, but it makes me feel more comfortable.

That is exactly what we do and also wipe with clorox wipes the telephone,light switches, toilet flush button, door handles, safe key pads, etc. Anything others may have touched. We try to remember to repeat every few days. We bring our own bottle of hand soap to use. Hate the bars on the sink counter! So far so good. Will do the same in Feb for 20 days on the Emerald

We got that 5:30 arrival email before leaving the hotel. So we're enjoying our afternoon in the Marriott Lobby on the comfy couches and the flat screen tv planning on watching the Seahawks at 3:30 (Houston time). Have no idea what time the ship will leave tonight and wondering if our Cozumel stop will happen or not. Oh we'll it's vacation time so can't complain too much. Just glad we are not at the terminal for 5 hours because we didn't get the Urgent update - there will be some unhappy people for sure.

We got that 5:30 arrival email before leaving the hotel. So we're enjoying our afternoon in the Marriott Lobby on the comfy couches and the flat screen tv planning on watching the Seahawks at 3:30 (Houston time). Have no idea what time the ship will leave tonight and wondering if our Cozumel stop will happen or not. Oh we'll it's vacation time so can't complain too much. Just glad we are not at the terminal for 5 hours because we didn't get the Urgent update - there will be some unhappy people for sure.

For sure! We went to the terminal and were told they wouldn't let us park until 6:30pm. They had police redirecting traffic. Enjoying a cold beer now!

Had Princess transport from the airport. We arrived at the termnal at 11. Just in time to see the ship come in. They checked us in and provided shuttle buses to the kemah boardwalk. Turns out to be quite fun.

I have been here since noon in the Elite lounge. Got an e mail from PCL saying boarding 5.30. Excursion to Kemah provided. Spoke to one lady who gave after two hours waiting in line to get on bus. Transfers at airport taken to Hospitality Center somwhere and held there until 5.30

At 3 pm pax still disembarking.

Beautiful day. Back to my bag of Doritos

Norris

I was wondering if you could tell me what the weather was like for the entire cruise...warm, hot, rain, choppy water, etc?

Answered in an earlier post

Rain in all ports.

Still had a great time!

To see the weather outlook for this itinerary, go to http://cruiseoutlook.com/build/report/798 (Ignore the dates of the cruise at the beginning, the forecasts are for the next 7 days)

Thanks for keeping us updated - we are scheduled for next week. I was wondering if you could tell me what the weather was like for the entire cruise...warm, hot, rain, choppy water, etc? Hope you had a great cruise!! Lori

We were on the New Year's cruise and before we left, the forecast for every port was 80 and rainy. It turned out to be warmer than that and the only rain stopped before we departed the ship for our excursion in Belize. Very humid in every port and it didn't get nasty until our last sea day when we had rough seas and force 7 winds. The forecast per the patter was 75 that day but it didn't get above 55.

My DH and I got of the CB about 3pm today. Instead of heading home we had planned a night in Kemah. As I type this I'm sitting on the balcony of our room at the Kemah Boardwalk Inn and I can see the CB all lit up. Sure hope she gets outta here soon! 9u2ajyqu.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Personally I'm guessing this paticular case of noro started on the 12/28 cruise. I noticed part way through the cruise that they changed behaviour somewhat in the buffet (silverware was no longer on the tables, along with glasses and salt). Never started serving in the buffet, and salt and pepper stayed on the tables in the dining room, so I figured it was still a pretty minor outbreak at the time. They were very insistant on the sanitizer at the buffet at that point, but never saw one at the entrance to the dining room. (Personally the stuff drives me nuts for a couple reasons: a) it's not effective, b) half the people insist on actually grabbing the dispensing machine, probably transfering their germs to the nozzles dispensing it, and c) I've often just washed my hands in my stateroom anyways).

The CB arrived at around 11:15 AM Saturday.

Why did it take almost four hours before you were able to get off?

Just off the Caribbean Princess this afternoon.

Dense fog kept the ship from getting to port until 11:15-11:30. After that there was some trouble with the side gang plank or whatever you call it that they use for passenger disembarkation which caused a further delay.

First call to start disembarkation was around 12:15. Then sick passengers were disembarked. There was an extremely large number of self disembarkation passengers. I got off around 1:45 and there were still quite a number of tags that had not yet been called. Self disembarkation took an extremely long time, don't know why.

Was on this cruise, and although I heard numerous announcements about noro, it didn't impact the cruise. We had a fun time and none of us got sick. We took the precautions very seriously and did a lot of hand washing, but other than that, the cruise kept on as usual.

I don't know how many sick passengers there were, but I did wonder if many of the reported illnesses were Not due to Norovirus.

On Tues, we had huge swells with more rocking and a rolling than I have ever experienced in my 17 cruises. High winds a further impact. Even the waiter that night was having trouble feeling a bit ill from all the movement. They canceled the second show that night since it was felt to be dangerous for the performers.

Then the next day we were in Belize. I talked to one man who had gotten sick and he did not think he was sick from Norovirus, but thought it was from the ice cubes in his drink at Belize. He had gone on one of the excursions that served lunch. With lunch they serviced juice with ice cubes, which he drank.

That announcement about Norovirus occurred after these two events, the bad sea conditions followed by our stop at Belize. It did make me wonder if at least some of the cases that were thought to be Noro were perhaps sea sickness or eating/drinking in Belize. I am sure there were true cases of Noro, but I wondered how many cases were misdiagnosed as noro.

We had rain or overcast most of the cruise. It was still warm for the trip. The noro was announced on Thursday.

Overall The weather and the Noro virus were inconveniences for us but we still had a wonderful time.

We are platinum and our color tag was called at 2pm. We were through security and on a bus by 230 and at airport by 3

We had booked our flight for late afternoon just in case and it paid off for us

Bon voyage new cruisers. Have a great trip