Will Purser's desk keep our Passports??

Mijo

We will be on the Crown sailing from Fort Lauderdale to L.A. around the horn in February. I was wondering if the ship keeps our passport (along with visa & reciprocity fees) with them or we get to keep them...

Thanks in advance for all your replies.. :)

We always keep our passports and other valuables in the cabin safe.:)

That is not the question....on many cruises, passengers are required to hand over their passports to the Purser's Desk. The hold them for all or part of the cruise for review by officials at various ports.

That is not the question....on many cruises, passengers are required to hand over their passports to the Purser's Desk. The hold them for all or part of the cruise for review by officials at various ports.

Sorry for my incorrect answer, I was not aware of this and have learned something new today......thanks.:)

SInce the OP is Canadian, the ship might hold passports. Not sure if it's done on all itineraries. Perhaps a Canadian could clarify. I'd be curious.

I know on another cruise,line and itinerary, the passports of non US citizens were called for somewhere along the line.

Edited by eandj

When we went around the horn we boarded in Rio. On boarding Princess took our passports, gave us a receipt and held them. They were returned after we sailed from Lima.

They do this to make it easier for you at each port of call. Princess does all the work, you just disembark the ship. Make certain your Brazil visa is in order.

we are on the same trip, and we did a similar trip in 2012 but boarded in Brazil. When we checked in Princess took our passport, gave us a receipt which we kept in the safe. A few days before disembarking we received our passports back all stamped from all the countries we visited.

We will be on the Crown sailing from Fort Lauderdale to L.A. around the horn in February. I was wondering if the ship keeps our passport (along with visa & reciprocity fees) with them or we get to keep them...

Thanks in advance for all your replies.. :)

Why leave them when you can put them in your safe.

Why leave them when you can put them in your safe.

You also missed the point of the thread.

On many itineraries, the ship will take your passport in order to speed up disembarkation at certain foreign ports. I had to do this to visit Turkey, and apparently the same issues are present in South America. You don't have a choice; either hand over the passport or don't get on the cruise.

When we went around the horn we boarded in Rio. On boarding Princess took our passports, gave us a receipt and held them. They were returned after we sailed from Lima.

They do this to make it easier for you at each port of call. Princess does all the work, you just disembark the ship. Make certain your Brazil visa is in order.

Thank you. All is in order..

Yes for the South american trip they will collect your passport at embarkation and you will get it back after your last foreign port of call.

As you are entering the various countries the local officials aboard the ship usually at the previous port and then painstakingly check that your visas are in order if necessary and then stamp your passport. You will get a passport back with pages of stamps.

The alternate would be for every passenger to have to wait in line at the first port of call in each country which if everything isn't in order could take hours to do.

Enjoy your cruise around the horn - it is quite the experience and you should receive a certificate of Rounding the Horn signed by the Captain etc.

Cheers!

Dennis

we are on the same trip, and we did a similar trip in 2012 but boarded in Brazil. When we checked in Princess took our passport, gave us a receipt which we kept in the safe. A few days before disembarking we received our passports back all stamped from all the countries we visited.

Thank you... Been following the Roll call but just haven't participated in it... Coming alarmingly close and so little time left to make sure all is in order @ home during the trip..... The roll call is a great source of info..

Thank you... Been following the Roll call but just haven't participated in it... Coming alarmingly close and so little time left to make sure all is in order @ home during the trip..... The roll call is a great source of info..

Yes it is coming close.

I see you are from Quebec, I grew up in Drummondville, but have lived in Vancouver for 30 years now. But my family is all still there and we were just back there for Christmas.

We still have to get our Argentinia visas but that is a quick online thing.

Hope to meet you on board and we can chat in French.

Vickie

I always have a copy of my Passport, plus copies of my Credit Cards in case I need the information for anything.

Tom:)

smart

I have scanned the cover page of our passport and then sent the image to my email so I can access it if necessary.

Thankfully I have never had to.