NCL leaving new orleans?

radzer0

For no apparent reason, someone reopens a thread that has been inactive for about 10 months, so now we're going to get the usual parade of posts arguing with or responding to posts made months ago...not to mention people reacting to the title of the thread and thinking it's true that NCL is leaving New Orleans. (That's why I started reading the thread.) :rolleyes:

Cruise Critic really needs to lock threads once they've been inactive for a few months (maybe 6 months at the outside).

Edited by njhorseman

The Dawn is scheduled to leave from the port of New Orleans January 2016 through the first week of May 2016.

Harriet

7-Day Western Caribbean from New Orleans (Fall 2015 & Beyond)

SHIP Norwegian Dawn

CRUISE PORTS EMBARK New Orleans (Louisiana); Cozumel (Mexico); Roatan, Bay Islands (Honduras); Harvest Caye (Belize); Costa Maya (Mexico); DISEMBARK New Orleans (Louisiana)

http://www.ncl.com/vacations/new-orleans-louisiana-jan-2016-feb-2016-mar-2016-apr-2016-may-2016?embarkationport=4294908685&sailmonths=4294925779+4294925772+4294925778+4294925771+4294915104

Harriet

Eastern itenaries don't work well from New Orleans because of the distance. Nobody wants to pay for only 3 ports and have one be key west. We want to get away. Not goto another big American city.

But, people readily pay for three ports to sail out of Houston. Also, since when is Key West considered a big American city? Also, not being able to get to the Eastern Caribbean from New Orleans, and Tampa for that matter, is a myth. NCL choses not to do it for their own reasons. Are they not offering alternating East/West itineraries on the Spirit from Port Canaveral?

I personally love going to Key West. We have not been there since 2008 when Hurricane Mitch changed every one of our ports of call. One of our most memorable cruises.

But, people readily pay for three ports to sail out of Houston. Also, since when is Key West considered a big American city? Also, not being able to get to the Eastern Caribbean from New Orleans, and Tampa for that matter, is a myth. NCL choses not to do it for their own reasons. Are they not offering alternating East/West itineraries on the Spirit from Port Canaveral?

I personally love going to Key West. We have not been there since 2008 when Hurricane Mitch changed every one of our ports of call. One of our most memorable cruises.

They did 6 sailings, I believe around this time last year. According to my TA when I asked him about it they did the test and canned it because they lost there ass compared to western as it was very hard to fill.

They did 6 sailings, I believe around this time last year. According to my TA when I asked him about it they did the test and canned it because they lost there ass compared to western as it was very hard to fill.

Huh?

What are you talking about, 6 sailings? Could you add a little more information to your posts so we can figure out what exactly you are talking about!!

The Jewel is now sailing 3 ports out of Houston and the Spirit has not yet returned for its East/West sailings out of Port Canaveral.

Edited by Beaver1975

Huh?

What are you talking about, 6 sailings? Could you add a little more information to your posts so we can figure out what exactly you are talking about!!

The Jewel is now sailing 3 ports out of Houston and the Spirit has not yet returned for its sailings out of Port Canaveral.

Last year the dawn had 6 eastern sailings from new orleans. Around this time of year, maybe oct is when they started but about a year back. They didnt make nowhere near as much money as the westerns which were rotated for those 6 cruises. Some of them also sailed with empty rooms as they couldnt even fill the boat.

Someone here may be able to post a history site for sailings, I dont know those kinds of sites.

Last year the dawn had 6 eastern sailings from new orleans. Around this time of year, maybe oct is when they started but about a year back. They didnt make nowhere near as much money as the westerns which were rotated for those 6 cruises. Some of them also sailed with empty rooms as they couldnt even fill the boat.

Someone here may be able to post a history site for sailings, I dont know those kinds of sites.

The Dawn was in Tampa this time last year. I know, because we sailed her in January.

Edited by Beaver1975

The Dawn was in Tampa this time last year. I know, because we sailed her in January.

Maybe I just got boats mixed up than. Whatever boat was here last year did it. I didn't go on a cruise last year. Mine was jan 13 on the star

Huh?

The Jewel is now sailing 3 ports out of Houston and the Spirit has not yet returned for its East/West sailings out of Port Canaveral.

Let me put a little more information into this, first YES NCL did have a hard time selling both out of New Orleans Eastern Carib and having one heck of a bad time right now out of Houston. For the most part most people would prefer 4 port stops to the three port stops. But that goes against what NCL would prefer because for the most part On Board revenue is MUCH higher when they have more Sea Days but the pre cruise sales of cabins and filling them is harder when there is only three ports. So there must be a happy medium. They do well with this out of the East Coast. ALL of the cruise lines over the pasta 6+ years have had a terrible time filling the ships out of Galveston and it has actually been worse out of Houston. The recent give away prices on the Jewel have been crazy and in talking with some of the ships Officers I am not so sure they are coming close to making their quotas. Which is why NCL may consider not even sailing out of Houston. But NCL has caused some of their own problems with lack of sales. While people are in the shops they are not spending money, bars were full but many sitting there with no drinks in front of them.

Then there is the problem of ships leaving Texas that on that first day they have limited drinks they can sell due to the tax thing in Texas. That does not bode well with many. There are so many things NCL could do to make more on board revenue and they actually use to do some of these things. The discount in the shops for Latitude member use to be the 10% on everything, not just Logo items....that is a total joke now. The offerings are the worse they have ever been so guess what no one is buying anything. The Jewel had the same junk it had a week ago that it had last March. The spa discount for Latitudes is only for the very first day you board, in the brochure it states port days but slight miss type per Steiner Spa people they claimed it is the FIRST Port day meaning embarkation day only. Do one wants to discount anything so the lose the sale. My previous NCL cruises it would be nothing for me to spend $1000+ on cosmetics and items in the shops, this time I think I spent maybe $250 and truly wanted more things that they just did not have.

OK sorry need to get off my Soap Box and get back on topic :o but just giving you the long story that it is a fight between Miami hotel sales aka cabin sales and on board revenue. They both need to make money or a ship will leave that area or itinerary. The other factor that goes with on board sales is also Excursion Sales which goes to on board revenue. But the amount of profit is not nearly as much as other on board revenue and Western Caribbean tends to make more in that area than Key West and Bahamas.

Bottom line is ALL of the cruise Lines are having an extremely hard time selling cruises from Texas and even from New Orleans so sadly the cruise lines stick their oldest least desirable ships there which again makes it harder to sell :( The Jewel has always been a good seller being a bit newer and sales have been the worst this year which is why she is heading to Los Angeles where it is already filling up at triple the cost of the cabin from Houston. Basically it is all about money not what the consumer states they want.

Another interesting factoid is the Port of New Orleans is now showing a schedule with the NCL Dawn sailing from the Julia Street Terminal for the 2017 season. Sounds like things aren't changing for at least a few years. Have a look http://portno.com/vessel-schedules

Port of NOLA needs to build a garage for NCL. I called before our crusie and was told there was parking for the ship AT the port.

NOPE!!

We pas Julia port, turn left towards downtown, then get on Convention Center blvd, then drive down a couple of blocks to the Hilton Garage and parked there.

The people holding the signs to park for $12 had a much closer lot. I know the ineptitude of NOLA officials, so I didn't hold that against NCL. Now getting in the Terminal at 12:30 and not getting on the boat until 5:30. That was all NCL. And yes, I think lot of people took this cruise for the sole reason of testing NCL, and most of those did not seem happy.

The employees were all great though. I went around this morning handing $10s to a few of them that I had interacted with.

Port of NOLA needs to build a garage for NCL. I called before our crusie and was told there was parking for the ship AT the port.

NOPE!!

We pas Julia port, turn left towards downtown, then get on Convention Center blvd, then drive down a couple of blocks to the Hilton Garage and parked there.

The people holding the signs to park for $12 had a much closer lot. I know the ineptitude of NOLA officials, so I didn't hold that against NCL. Now getting in the Terminal at 12:30 and not getting on the boat until 5:30. That was all NCL. And yes, I think lot of people took this cruise for the sole reason of testing NCL, and most of those did not seem happy.

The employees were all great though. I went around this morning handing $10s to a few of them that I had interacted with.

There is a garage. It's for the whole terminal and there is a free bus. I believe it's around $90 for the week but there are hotels if you stay at them you get to park and they bus you there and back.

I don't understand? NCL has parking at the Whale Lot right in front of the terminal that NCL sails from. Why would you go out onto Convention Center Blvd?

Firstly let me point out I am very familiar with the lay of the land/geography in NO. We are using the Fulton parking garage on Convention Center blvd for two reasons. One is the price. $8/day is cheaper than the rates in the whale lot. The other more important reason is two fold. We are staying the night before our departure at the Hyatt Place which next door to the Fulton garage and we are traveling with two seniors, ages 73 and 82, and I have a disability so parking at the whale lot isn't an option. We would have to walk to the terminal from the hotel the morning of embarkation with our luggage and that just isn't feasible. I do realize we could grab a couple of cabs for our group of 5 but the shuttle service is much more convenient since the Fulton garage includes this return service for the pier.

Thank you for your concern but this option will work the best for my party. Please feel free to park in the whale lot for your next NOLA cruise.

Has anyone noticed that Norwegian has just signed a contract to stay in New Orleans at least 4 more years?

http://www.nola.com/business/index.ssf/2014/11/norwegian_cruise_new_orleans.html

When using the whale lot, first you drive to the terminal and drop off your luggage and passengers, then you cross the railroad tracks and park in the whale lot and have an easy walk back to the terminal.

NOPE!!....

We have cruised from New Orleans 2-3 times I think. We drive into the parking garage, unload luggage then park in the same building. We take the elevator to the check in level.

Sure seems like a parking garage to me.

It works great.

Edited by garycarla