Labadee, Falmouth

beshears

Has anyone done the RC excursion in Falmouth titled "1700's Great House & Plantation Tour with Lunch - FY16"? Here's the description:

This is a full Estate experience with 4x4 access to select parts of the plantation in our special purpose off road vehicle. Take a walk through one of the most sought after great houses of the 18th century and discover the ruins of buildings that were once the jewel of the Caribbean. The Good Hope Great House built in the 1700's and restored in its entirety, with painting antiques and the lush surroundings of a 2,000 acre working enterprise. Walk on the lands once owned by the largest planter in Jamaica, John Tharp. Travel to the ruins where the waterwheel and kiln still stand today. Your day will not be complete without a visit to the pottery house to see the work of the resident potter and finally stop at the Trading House, the only store of its kind in the Caribbean where you can purchase some great pieces of art, carvings, books and souvenirs made in Jamaica before returning to the cruise ship pier.

A Jamaica jerk grill BBQ lunch is included with this tour.

I'd be interested to hear from anyone who has done this. I posted about it in the Jamaica forum several days ago, but this board is much more active, so I thought I'd hijack this thread to try to get an answer. Thanks!

We totally enjoyed our time in falmouth! RCI has a large, beautiful gated shopping area. We did not venture out of the area on our own as we had heard that it can be "unsafe". We did however take the Martha Brae Rafting excursion. We Loved It!!! It was a beautiful, relaxing time & the lunch they served after was very good.

I really enjoyed Labadee. It was a few years ago. They were doing renovation when I was there so it should be better now. I did the zip line, tour (which wasn't so hot), and snorkeling. Lots of water activities. They provide lunch. Also enjoyed just sitting in the hammock and chilling. Didn't want to leave! You'll have fun.

Murphs, thank you for the beautiful picture. It makes we want to be there NOW. :)

OK, I gather that the trams are really for those who are using the cabanas, right? Then since we won't be needing one of them, it looks like we will be walking.:)

Yes, if you have been on any tour where a planation was involved, and you know the name, I would like to check it out.

OK, I gather that the trams are really for those who are using the cabanas, right?

The trams are for anyone

The furthest beach is Columbus Cove, and I would say that is about a 15 minute walk. But, you can take the tram.

Whoops... forgot Labadee! Like Dunn's River, I think everyone should try the zip-line at least once to say you've "been there done that". Yes pricey, but an awesome thrill.

I've also booked the jet-ski's twice and had an awesome experience both times full throtle following the lead instructor. The views are great and they give you history of the island on your stops.

How much does the zip line cost?

Has anyone done the RC excursion in Falmouth titled "1700's Great House & Plantation Tour with Lunch - FY16"? Here's the description:

I'd be interested to hear from anyone who has done this. I posted about it in the Jamaica forum several days ago, but this board is much more active, so I thought I'd hijack this thread to try to get an answer. Thanks!

This sounds interesting! My Mom and I are going on the Allure in May, and I am trying to find a few excursions. She has some mobility issues, so I am curious to hear if someone has done this tour.

This sounds interesting! My Mom and I are going on the Allure in May, and I am trying to find a few excursions. She has some mobility issues, so I am curious to hear if someone has done this tour.

I was curious about this excursion as well.

We enjoyed Labadee before the improvements and are looking forward to another visit again in 2015. The water was perfectly clear when we were there and the beach nice and sandy, not rocky at all. However, we always wear water shoes in the water. It is a natural environment and even a sandy bottom can hide naturally sharp objects that can cause you discomfort for the rest of your vacation and beyond (voice of experience here:rolleyes:). That applies to all beaches, not just at Labadee. We have an OTW cabana reserved and are looking forward to enjoying a perfectly relaxing beach day while there.

The trams are for anyone

The furthest beach is Columbus Cove, and I would say that is about a 15 minute walk. But, you can take the tram.

There is the trams for everybody and the golf carts for the suite people. Some of the golf carts are super long and seat at least 8.

Familycruise01, you said you got some nice jewelry in Falmouth? Was it silver or gold, etc.? What type of jewelry? Did you bargain, or go to a shop or what for it?

The shopping in Falmouth was fantastic. There are a lot of option and yes, we did do Diamonds International, but you need to make sure you go to the one to the RIGHT as you enter the shopping area. I honestly can't remember the girls name that helped us, but her "#" is 96177.

We bought both gold and silver. I got an absolutely beautiful diamond and tanzanite ring and some gorgeous Ammolite earrings (grade A++) and then got a free necklace to go with them. As for the pricing - you can't really "bargain" in Diamonds International however, if you attend the on-ship port talk, you will get some great coupons and a better deal. Also, we did "threaten" to walk away saying "this $ is our max budget" and the gal went away, talked to her manager, and came back and offered us a deal that was better than our max budget. They want your business - don't let them push you and you won't be disappointed.

For those women wanting Pandora - sorry ladies, you don't get better pricing, but you do get it tax free (in Grand Cayman is where we bought that). And my BF got a unbelievable price on a Bulova watch in Cozumel (we hunted at every port). Again, it was a Diamonds International but we are not sorry. In Cozumel however, the pricing is a bit higher, but you have a chance to get some money back through a new government program they have - you just have to go to a spot and register your purchase and provide your passport information. No scams, we aren't disappointed and we can't wait to go on our next cruises and see if we can't locate a few more fantastic "finds". Happy Shopping!!

We loved Labadee and are going back over Thanksgiving!! Definitely Columbus Cove beach!! There is an inflatable, aquapark for the kids over there too! The alcohol package is good there too, as well as a buffet is served. White, sandy beaches for sure! As far as the "rocky" area, we walked over there at the end (it is under the zipline, so you can't miss it), and found it to be kinda neat. The kids played around with the rocks.

In Falmouth, my DH and the kids headed to Dunn's River Falls, while I, one happy mama, got to go to the MOST AWESOME beach!!! I booked it through Royal and had a blast!! The sand, the sun, and the drinks were fantastic!! I wish that I could remember the name of it..... See, I told you they had great drinks!

Go for it!!!

Why would anyone want to visit a rocky beach on one side and a broken coral frag beach on the other side, all the while knowing that the TRUE part of Haiti suffers from widespread government corruption and the entire area is fenced off and protected by armed guards so that tourists are not able to access the TRUE island of Haiti, but just a tiny portion bought by RCCL,to increase its profits?

And yes, I was there in April 2013 so I have the "experience" just as much, I even snuck in to the suite guest area, no yellow/gold armband, and yes it was rocky and had plenty of dead coral frags that were washed up into the bay area.

To get into that area follow the trail all along to the right of the aquapark.

Perhaps you have all also forgotten about the earthquake that devasted the island of Haiti and its people while RCCL continued to line its pockets with revenue from all the paid activities that take place in Labadee, since nothing there is free.

Edited by jp30338

Why would anyone want to visit a rocky beach on one side and a broken coral frag beach on the other side, all the while knowing that the TRUE part of Haiti suffers from widespread government corruption and the entire area is fenced off and protected by armed guards so that tourists are not able to access the TRUE island of Haiti, but just a tiny portion bought by RCCL,to increase its profits?

And yes, I was there in April 2013 so I have the "experience" just as much, I even snuck in to the suite guest area, no yellow/gold armband, and yes it was rocky and had plenty of dead coral frags that were washed up into the bay area.

Perhaps you have all also forgotten about the earthquake that devasted the island of Haiti and its people while RCCL continued to line its pockets with revenue from all the paid activities that take place in Labadee, since nothing there is free.

I lived in Haiti as a missionary for 18 months in the 1980's. Back when the gov't was a dictator, "Baby Doc". I know the real Haiti.

Haiti is better off for having Royal Caribbean lease the penninsula. A certain amount per person is paid to the gov't - which is an influx of cash for Haiti. Does the gov't use it wisely? Do they properly take care of their people? Well.. does YOUR gov't do a great job? My point is this: Money is getting into Haiti. Many Haitians work at Labadee, which is real income in their hands - yes, FAR below what min wage is in the US/Canada, but a GOOD living in Haiti.

Compare this to Royal NOT being there.. $0 cash influx.

Also, where you aware that after the earthquake, Royal Caribbean built a school, about a 15 minute drive up the hill past the zipline? It's a great school.

Did you know that soon after the earthquake, Royal Caribben ships unloaded tons of supplies for Haiti?

Are the beaches at Labadee the best in the Caribbean? No. Are they gorgeous? IMO, yes they are.

Lots of stuff on Labadee is "free" (defined by "included in the price of your cruise"), there are only a few things that cost extra - just like every other port you stop at.

I, for one am very proud of Royal Caribbean for having a presence in Haiti. Do they make profits from having Labadee? I sure hope so! I want companies to be profitable so that they can maintain a presence (oh yeah.. and so I can keep cruising).

If you are going to avoid going to places where there is some form of gov't corruption: you might want to stay away from... (insert favourite destination here)

I lived in Haiti as a missionary for 18 months in the 1980's. Back when the gov't was a dictator, "Baby Doc". I know the real Haiti.

Haiti is better off for having Royal Caribbean lease the penninsula. A certain amount per person is paid to the gov't - which is an influx of cash for Haiti. Does the gov't use it wisely? Do they properly take care of their people? Well.. does YOUR gov't do a great job? My point is this: Money is getting into Haiti. Many Haitians work at Labadee, which is real income in their hands - yes, FAR below what min wage is in the US/Canada, but a GOOD living in Haiti.

Also, where you aware that after the earthquake, Royal Caribbean built a school, about a 15 minute drive up the hill past the zipline? It's a great school.

Did you know that soon after the earthquake, Royal Caribben ships unloaded tons of supplies for Haiti?

Are the beaches at Labadee the best in the Caribbean? No. Are they gorgeous? IMO, yes they are.

Lots of stuff on Labadee is "free" (defined by "included in the price of your cruise"), there are only a few things that cost extra - just like every other port you stop at.

I, for one am very proud of Royal Caribbean for having a presence in Haiti. Do they make profits from having Labadee? I sure hope so! I want companies to be profitable so that they can maintain a presence (oh yeah.. and so I can keep cruising).

If you are going to avoid going to places where there is some form of gov't corruption: you might want to stay away from... (insert favourite destination here)

You've said it much better and more effectively than I could. It is unfortunate that some people will look for any reason to bash a cruiseline which is known for its philanthropic efforts, especially in regions such as Haiti which are so much in need of financial and other types of assistance.

Perhaps you have forgotten the all supplies and help that RCI contributed?:eek:

Thank you for everyones input.

As for the jewelry, I try to stay away from Diamonds International, but I understand where your coming from. If I can find jewelry that a native has made, I will buy that, as that will be MY memory of this port or island.

Yes, I was glad to read that RCCL has really helped the Hatai area.:)

Well that settles that!

Thanks for weighing in. I doubt there's too many here that have actually lived and worked in Haiti.

Like any vacation destination we always look and seek out fun stuff to do.

This upcoming summer will be our 5th. visit to Labadee, and we love the area.

We have done almost every excursion provided.

Some we like

Others well.........

We currently are repeating the jet ski adventure....for us it is fun.

We enjoy resting on suite beach, and last summer it had a clear entrance to the water, but we have been there when it was "shelly" and had to use our water shoes.

We find time to visit the vendors

Play volleyball

Swim

Eat

Just a fun beach time for us.

Sea Ya

Wow, what a buzz kill......... Any type of revenue for Haiti, which RCL provides, is better than zero.... I guess none of us should cruise either because there are so many poor people in the world! Our money (even though it's ours) should be put to better use. Shame on us all!! Ha Ha

Pressing the "like" button on this one.

Jamaica - we did a tour including Lunch - at Good Hope Plantation. Nice tour and also a very tasty Jamaican lunch. This was a tour through the cruise line.

Hey Betty, I'd love to hear more about this excursion. The one we're considering for our upcoming cruise is described as follows on the website:

1700's Great House & Plantation Tour with Lunch - FY16

This is a full Estate experience with 4x4 access to select parts of the plantation in our special purpose off road vehicle. Take a walk through one of the most sought after great houses of the 18th century and discover the ruins of buildings that were once the jewel of the Caribbean. The Good Hope Great House built in the 1700's and restored in its entirety, with painting antiques and the lush surroundings of a 2,000 acre working enterprise. Walk on the lands once owned by the largest planter in Jamaica, John Tharp. Travel to the ruins where the waterwheel and kiln still stand today. Your day will not be complete without a visit to the pottery house to see the work of the resident potter and finally stop at the Trading House, the only store of its kind in the Caribbean where you can purchase some great pieces of art, carvings, books and souvenirs made in Jamaica before returning to the cruise ship pier.

A Jamaica jerk grill BBQ lunch is included with this tour.

Does this sound like the same excursion you did? If so, can you tell me a little more about it? I've been asking all over the boards, and it seems no one has done this.