feel more motion back of ship?

Big Bang fan

I'm going on the Liberty and I was looking into the cabins 7439 or 7434 on deck 7. The only thing I'm worried about is that it is at the back of the ship and at a higher level. Has anyone stayed around this area and if so is there a lot more motion other than the middle of the ship?

Not on the Liberty but most of my cruises have been Aft and high deck and I have never noticed any difference!

In rough seas and when approaching a port you can get the cabin shudders but that is worse and sometimes quite severe Low and Aft.

The only time I have been far forward and high we had a free mini suite upgrade and I still couldn't notice any difference in motion?

IF you are a person who gets car sick then you will definitely feel more motion higher up and on either end of the ship!! Those people who enjoy their aft wrap cabins or others cabins on the ends of the ship(fore or aft) probably are not prone to motion sickness and don't understand how it feels.

We only sail in midship cabins because both Mr. Riffatsea and I take anti motion sickness meds every day at sea and do not wish to add to the problem.

IF you are a person who gets car sick then you will definitely feel more motion higher up and on either end of the ship!! Those people who enjoy their aft wrap cabins or others cabins on the ends of the ship(fore or aft) probably are not prone to motion sickness and don't understand how it feels.

We only sail in midship cabins because both Mr. Riffatsea and I take anti motion sickness meds every day at sea and do not wish to add to the problem.

I have suffered car sickness all my life, I have grow out of it a bit though. if I spend too long in the rear seat of a car I get sick, I have never experienced the same on a cruise ship.

I believe if you are so sensitive to motion then a cruise isnt really the best thing to do.

I suffer sea sickness quite severe but only on smaller vessles so I never go out to sea on smaller craft.

When the sea is rough there is motion on the entire cruise ship:)

I get motion sickness and typically get an aft cabin. I find that I feel more motion forward and in places where I can't see out. Since I get a balcony, I can see the motion and match it up to what I feel, I'm fine in the cabin. I just try to make sure that I sit facing the way the ship is moving in the dining room and show lounge.

I know what my triggers are and I also take Bonine just to be on the safe side. The only time I've ever had trouble is in an inside cabin.

Edited by Ehpride

I'm going on the Liberty and I was looking into the cabins 7439 or 7434 on deck 7. The only thing I'm worried about is that it is at the back of the ship and at a higher level. Has anyone stayed around this area and if so is there a lot more motion other than the middle of the ship?

Take a pencil and hold it in the middle with 2 fingers. Now take your other hand and place it under the very front of the pencil. Now lift it. Notice that the back part of the pencil (Aft) sinks considerably. The center stays much the same. Now do the same to the back of the pencil. The front part of the pencil now sinks. The center stays much the same. The ship will react in a similar manner. In a major storm, the center will also rise but the Fore and Aft sections will move even more.

Take a pencil and hold it in the middle with 2 fingers. Now take your other hand and place it under the very front of the pencil. Now lift it. Notice that the back part of the pencil (Aft) sinks considerably. The center stays much the same. Now do the same to the back of the pencil. The front part of the pencil now sinks. The center stays much the same. The ship will react in a similar manner. In a major storm, the center will also rise but the Fore and Aft sections will move even more.

Only that pencil doesnt have stabilizers or that bulbous thing at the front that sends equal water waves from the Bow down the entire length of the ship giving it stability and thus more power.

Take a tea spoon, put your finger at the spoon end, try to balance it steady then figure out how a Swan fly s! Pencil- cruies ship - Tea spoon-Swan, you just cant make a comparison.

Edited by fishtaco

Sorry, but that midpoint would be moving up and down as well, unless the ship was on land and on a see saw.

I've stayed all over the ship and in every cabin type. Never had a problem with motion sickness. And that includes our very first trip when we were going through a bad storm and the motion was so bad they put out those dreaded bags. It was a little uncomfortable but we both made out fine. And this was on a fantasy class (smaller) ship. If you are prone to motion sickness, keep it safe and stay midship. Most of the time it's smoothe sailing, but you never know what can happen with the weather. If you're not particularly sensitive, I would book either of those rooms. Looks like the balcony is larger.

I do question the vibration in the rear of the ship in rough seas, not really the up and down sensation more than a consistent shake. That would drive me nutty. I like midship and have been very far forward and wasn't much difference. As others have said, when its rough its rough everywhere. Even in calm seas the boat is moving more than you realize, it is usually just slow. If you ever get a chance, when up on the top decks, line up the horizon and the top rail, it will move several feet, but in your mind it won't feel the boat is moving.

So, its all about personal choice and how sensitive any one person is...boat movement is like people describing how strong drinks are, its all personal perception. With that being said, if you believe the masses, lower mid-ship is the preferred spot for less motion.

Most motion forward, next is aft, least is midship. More motion higher.

Lower, midship is best IF you suffer motion sickness.

I've found that aft motion also includes more vibration, but that doesn't add to the *usual* motion issues.

I need to write this down somewhere so I can copy and paste it every time a motion-sickness thread comes up...

GINGER ROOT CAPSULES!!!

They've cured me. Seriously. I used to avoid sea days; now I love them. I've had motion-sickness problems my entire life (I'm now 61).

Start two days prior to travel - 1 am and 1 pm (with lots of water). I take 1/2 bonine when I board and continue ONLY if I need it (I prefer to split them and take 1/2 am and 1/2 pm as needed).

I even continue the ginger root for a couple of days post-cruise because I now have more problems back on land than I do at sea.

They really do work, folks. I now take my entire bottle with me and give them to tablemates/excursion mates who say they're having problems.

Only that pencil doesnt have stabilizers or that bulbous thing at the front that sends equal water waves from the Bow down the entire length of the ship giving it stability and thus more power.

Take a tea spoon, put your finger at the spoon end, try to balance it steady then figure out how a Swan fly s! Pencil- cruies ship - Tea spoon-Swan, you just cant make a comparison.

that ''bulbous thing at the front'' gives the ship more power, and stability. I wonder why they don't use them in Nascar or on drag racers. those guys are always looking for a edge.

We were on the Liberty last year in March & were in cabin 6452 (aft wrap) weather was not the greatest - even missed Roatan cause the ship could not dock. Experienced no motion or shuttering problems & we even booked the same cabin for this years cruise. Don't be surprised if you "sway" back & forth for a few days when you get home - it seems to happen on all cruises...Have fun !!!

We stayed in an aft extended on the Breeze on our 4th cruise and by far had the most motion. Only it wasnt the up and down motion I expected, it was side to side motion.

We actually noticed alot of side to side motion all over the ship but it was very noticeable in the aft. We took bonine so we didnt get sick, but it was still very weird feeling.

I've been in a center balcony at the very rear on deck 5, very front center on deck 7 directly under the bridge, mid ship balconies on deck 4, porthole on deck 2, inside cabin on deck 2 just to name a few different locations. I couldn't tell the difference of any of them being in a bad location motion wise except depending on what the weather conditions were such as going through the hurricane in 2012. You're going to feel rock and rolling on any ship and size depending on how calm or rough the seas are.

Other issues are in the extreme rear you hear the thrusters and chairs scraping and in the front you hear what sounds like an anchor chain and motor noises.