The BayPort and Caribbean Princess experience Jan. 18 sailing

5:00_Somewhere

This will not be a traditional review or "live from" thread, so much as an informational thread about sailing from Houston, this ship, the itinerary, etc., as a lot of people (myself included) have had a lot of questions about these issues.

We flew into IAH/Bush International Airport the day before the cruise. We had pre-reserved a car service (which got outstanding reviews on Yelp!) to take us to our hotel. The driver called my cell phone a few minutes after we had landed to confirm, and met us at baggage claim. It cost $90 plus tip. We had heard it cost at least $100 plus tip by cab to our destination, and I spoke with 2 people after boarding who confirmed this.

We chose to stay at the Hilton NASA/Clear Lake, which is about 2 miles from the Johnson Space Center and about 15 minutes from Bayport. We go a very nice balcony room there for $119. They also offer a free shuttle to destinations within 2 or 3 miles from the hotel, and they took us to Space Center Houston where we spent the afternoon touring the facility and enjoying the exhibit hall (anyone who grew up fascinated by the Apollo Program and/or the Space Shuttle Program will probably find it interesting; and fellow Star Trek fans will enjoy the fact that the restored full size original ShuttleCraft Galileo is on display there.) ;) We called the hotel when we were finished and they came and picked us up.

There were a few restaurants in the area, but we chose to simply eat in the hotel restaurant and turn in early, as we'd had a long week getting ready for our vacation.

When we awoke Saturday morning, we could see the ship from our balcony. It was a beautiful, clear, sunny morning with not a hint of fog. It was a little chilly, but not bad. We had been notified the day before that boarding would be delayed until 2:00 due to another deep cleaning as a result of noro cases on the cruise before ours. This email also announced staggered boarding by deck. We had heard that passengers with priority boarding could get to the port before 2:00, but not a lot before 2:00 (and this was confirmed by a friend on the ship.)

We left the hotel at little after 1:00 pm (the hotel was kind enough to allow us late check-out), and arrived at the port by 1:20. It was about 60 degrees at this time. There was no traffic and only a few cars and busses at the teriminal. We pulled right up to the check-in doors, handed our large luggage the porters and walked into the terminal. At that time the lines were very short and still inside the terminal building. There was 1 metal detector operating for Priority Boarding and 2 metal detectors for General Boarding. The General Boarding line moved very quickly.

Once through security, we were directed to the check-in counters along the far side of a large room with a good deal of seating. When we entered the room, the seat were about 3/4 full. We only had wait for 1 couple ahead of us before we could check in.

After checking in, we were directed to the "Elite/Suite" lounge, separate from the main waiting area, which had comfortable chairs and couches (though no coffee or water, as some have asked about.) There is a little room off the main area that has vending machines. There was a Princess/Port representative who kept us all apprised of the progress. She told us that they were due to begin boarding those with special needs (e.g., wheel chairs, walkers, etc.) shortly before 2:00 and that we would be after that.

At about 1:55 our attendant announced that it was time to board. Boarding was smooth and orderly, and very fast. We immediately went to the Sanctuary and were the 2nd people to book loungers for the full week. We then went to our cabin, dropped our things, and headed out to enjoy the ship. The weather was beautiful and warm, with just the slightest hint of a nip when the wind kicked up, but otherwise very comfortable. Most people were wearing or carrying a light sweater or wind breaker. I wore shorts and a shirt with a light sweater and was very comfortable outdoors. In fact, in areas of the ship where the wind was blocked, it was downright warm.

We went to the Calypso Bar to get our traditional "happy vacation" cocktail, and were reminded of the strange Texas law about alcohol: they are only permitted to serve certain brands of basic alcohols (gin, vodka, rum, tequila), wine and a just a few brands of beer until the ship is outside Texas territorial waters. I don't pretend to know the reasons for this (but plan to look into it when I get home.) Many passengers were surprised and displeased by this (as well as the state tax that was applied to all alcohol sales), and tended to take it out on the Princess personnel, unfortunately. We tried to help calm a number of people during the course of this first day. The bartenders said it usually took 4 hours after pushing away from the dock before they could serve the usual broader selection of alcohols.

We looked over the side of the ship around 2:45 and saw a very long line of vehicles trying to get into the port, and very long lines of people waiting to enter the terminal building - both Priority and General.

When we returned to our cabin around 4:00 our luggage had already arrived. Muster Drill was at 5:15. The Captain talked for about 5 minutes about noro and precautions passengers should take, and then they played the usual recording. Shortly after we returned to our cabin we felt the thrusters power up, and we began departure procedures. This was somewhat unusual, as the ship had to push away from the dock and then immediately begin a rather sharp turn to starboard to enter the channel out of the harbor. I now understand what people had described about his channel. Though the harbor is quite large, the channel the ship had to follow (marked by red and green marker lights) was really quite narrow and circuitous. I can now absolutely understand why the Captain would be reluctant to attempt it in dense fog and/or high winds. We left our cabin for drinks and dinner about 7:30 and we were still well inside the harbor.

Oh, and there was no traditional above-deck sail away party, but they did have a somewhat more subdued celebration in the Atrium from about 6:00 - 7:00. This may have been due to the dark and cold temperatures. The sun began to set shortly after we returned to our cabin from Muster and the temperatures dropped quickly.

We went to dinner in the Deck 5 Island (any time) dining room, and were immediately shown to a table for 2. The dining room was only about 2/3 full when we entered and only about 1/4 full when we left. While we were at dinner - perhaps 9:30 - the waiter announced that we had passed out of Texas waters and they could serve any alcohol we chose.

As a side note, due to the late departure, all 3 main dining rooms were listed in the Princess Patter as "open seating" for sail away night, but the Patter for the next day indicated that the Deck 6 aft dining room (Palm) had returned to "traditional seating". Also, the standard noro procedures are in place: no self-serve anything anywhere on the ship, no salt or pepper shakers, hand sanitizer units everywhere, etc.

When we awoke Sunday morning, we found that it had rained during the night. The temperatures were a little chilly and the skies cloudy. But, again, I personally am quite comfortable in shorts, a shirt and light sweater. And now, I will sign off and return to enjoying the view of the sea from my lounger in the Sanctuary.

I will check in here occasionally, and add information I think may be of interest to people. Feel free to ask questions and I will try to answer if I can.

Happy cruising everyone. :)

Edited by 5:00_Somewhere

The reason for the limited alcohol selection while in Texas waters is due to the fact that they are only permitted to sell alcohol that has a Texas tax stamp. So, they don't purchase the whole selection, just enough to last while in Texas waters, with limited selection.

It was a beautiful, clear, sunny morning with not a hint of fog.

Shortly after we returned to our cabin we felt the thrusters power up, and we began departure procedures. This was somewhat unusual, as the ship had to push away from the dock and then immediately begin a rather sharp turn to starboard to enter the channel out of the harbor. I now understand what people had described about his channel. Though the harbor is quite large, the channel the ship had to follow (marked by red and green marker lights) was really quite narrow and circuitous. I can now absolutely understand why the Captain would be reluctant to attempt it in dense fog and/or high winds.

Happy cruising everyone. :)

For those interested, you can check the forecast for fog and wind for Galveston Bay by googling "galveston bay weather noaa: or follow this link:

http://weather.noaa.gov/pub/data/raw/fz/fzus54.khgx.cwf.hgx.txt

If there is anything other than light fog the port will be closed until it clears.

Here's hoping weather does not delay any more of the arrivals or departures.

Texas does, indeed, have some very strange and strictly enforced alcohol laws. Believe me when I tell you that Princess (and any other cruise line) does not want to fall afoul of those laws.

When we were leaving before 8 a.m., there were already buses coming in with embarking passengers. I hate to think what kind of wait they had!

We were on the 1/11 sailing, and we received the initial e-mail about 2 p.m. boarding before we left home in Dallas. That made our life a little easier. Just before we got to Houston, we received the e-mail about the parking lots opening late. We did some calculations, went around I610 to I45 south, and went to Galveston. We ate at Gaido's, one of the really old seafood restaurants. After a leisurely drive up the seawall and back, we too I45 just across the bay and went up 146, which is the highway from which you enter the port. We had plenty of time, but had to wait less than half an hour before the allowed us out and to the drop-off area and parking.

A passenger four or five cabins down from us was very sick, and those dealing with it thought it was noro. Not encouraging when you see them bagging and tagging items taken out of there in big plastic bags. I didn't see any other signs of the virus.

I should have warned you guys on the 18th sailing to bring your own disposable salt and pepper shakers.

We went to the Calypso Bar to get our traditional "happy vacation" cocktail, and were reminded of the strange Texas law about alcohol: they are only permitted to serve certain brands of basic alcohols (gin, vodka, rum, tequila), wine and a just a few brands of beer until the ship is outside Texas territorial waters. I don't pretend to know the reasons for this (but plan to look into it when I get home.)

The reason for the limited alcohol selection while in Texas waters is due to the fact that they are only permitted to sell alcohol that has a Texas tax stamp. So, they don't purchase the whole selection, just enough to last while in Texas waters, with limited selection.

Texas law says that any alcohol purchased by the end user must have been supplied to the seller by a licensed Texas distributer.

Texas law does not limit which brands of alocohol, wine and beer can be sold while the ship is within Texas waters, just the source of supply. It is Princess that has chosen to limit the brands available by choosing a limited number of brands to be purchased from Texas wholesalers.

Thanks for the review. You are correct that the liquor laws in this state are mind boggling. Retail liquor outlets (bars, restaurants, cruise ships in Texas water) have to buy their liquor from a Texas distributor thanks to the political/money influence of the distributors and of course the gov has to get his share (sales tax). Just be glad you are not in the upper half of Texas where you have to belong to a "private club" to buy alcohol in restaurants/bars!

We were on the first sailing out of Bayport. We left the pier with a multiple water cannon salute from the fire boat and helicopters overhead. We will be returning in a few weeks for another CB cruise. We of course drive to the port since it is an easy drive.

I had to chuckle over your wearing shorts when it was "cold" out. We were originally from the Midwest, but after living down here for several decades, anything less than 70 requires warmer clothes.

We have been on several ships with Noro outbreaks and my partner did get Noro on the Ruby out of Port Everglades. I am glad to hear that the ship is taking it seriously and trying to arrest it before it gets worse. The RCCL Majesty returned to Miami after a 4 day cruise with an outbreak of Noro. This is the season for it so be careful.

This is exactly the type of info that has been lacking for this sailing. We leave on 2/1, and I was aware of the alcohol restrictions, but wasn't sure the details either. We will plan on bringing on our own wine & pay corkage, so we can have what we want in the room that evening, just in case we're delayed.

I was curious what would be the best time to arrive for embarkation. Sounds like a lot of folks are showing up late, which seems odd.

I guess I can understand a little disappointment when you are looking forward to your "boat drink" at the start of your vacation, but can't have it. But no reason to abuse the great Princess personnel; it's not their fault.

Thanks so much for the helpful information!

HI guys. Just curious how far was the Hilton from the airport and what was the driving time? Would you recommend the Hilton? We have been thinking of doing this trip coming from Los Angeles. Looking forward to your review.

Thanks

Joe

Thanks very much for all the information! As noted, it has been lacking, and many of us have been curious.

I leave on the CP from there on Feb 22 and am hoping for smooth sailing, no fog and no Noro, LOL.

Hope you have a great cruise! :D

HI guys. Just curious how far was the Hilton from the airport and what was the driving time? Would you recommend the Hilton? We have been thinking of doing this trip coming from Los Angeles. Looking forward to your review.

Thanks

Joe

We like that Hilton a lot (spent an anniversary weekend there) and almost overnighted there before our Caribbean Princess Nov. 31 cruise. Nice breakfast can be had in their restaurant.

Went with the Candlewood Suites in La Porte instead. Relative room rate and parking cost were factors.

Mapquest can tell you distance from HOU (closer) and IAH (farther) airports.

~sent using Cruise Critic app~

What a great review. I know you will have a wonderful time on your cruise. We are taking this same cruise end of April. We were on the Caribbean Princess when it came into Houston for the first time from NYC back in November. Getting off the ship was the fastest I had ever experienced. We walked off with our luggage at around 8, and customs did not even check our passports.

DH and I look forward to hearing your continuing reports on your cruise and wish everyone a grand time.

HI guys. Just curious how far was the Hilton from the airport and what was the driving time?

The Nassau Bay Hilton is about 22 miles from HOU and about twice that from IAH. If it is not rush-hour and there is no delay due to accidents or construction, it is about 35 minutes from HOU and an hour from IAH.

I have stayed many nights at the Hilton while I was working at NASA. It is a very nice hotel and on Clear Lake. Most of the pax on our cruise that post on our sailing are staying at the Comfort Inn in Seabrook. It is within a mile or so from Bayport and you can clearly see the ship when it is in port. They provide transportation to the ship. The last cruise out of Bayport in November we stayed at the Comfort Inn in Webster (NASA area) but then we drive so we had a car. The nice part of that hotel is that it is near a lot of restaurants and shopping for last minute items.

Thanks for all your great comments. Glad people are getting something out of this.

And thank you for the alcohol info; that's pretty much what I'd come to understand.

For today's installment ... Yesterday (Sunday), our first sea day, it was cool and cloudy, with occasional light showers until around noontime. Then the skies began to clear. By 2:00 pm it was sunny and warm with just a few fluffy clouds. By 3:00 the skies were clear and sunny and it was actually hot, especially in the sun. We watched football all afternoon on MUTS and enjoyed the weather (though not the outcomes of the games.) The sun set at almost exactly 5:30, and then the temps began to fall, though slowly. It didn't begin getting "chilly" until around 7:00. It was formal night, but we passed this trip. Never even went below Deck 10 after about 5:00, so don't know what was going on.

Monday morning - we just arrived in Cozumel early, at 7:15. The skies are mostly clear and the bridge reports the temperature to be 75 degrees, with a predicted high of 81 today. Right now it feels very pleasant and comfortable, and not humid at all (as had been reported by passengers of the previous cruise.)

NOTE: I'm finding the internet connection to be very slow this cruise. So, I will post my updates (which I'm writing off-line), note any questions and try to answer those with the next post, but it may be somewhat sporadic; last night I couldn't get on CruiseCritic at all. To the person who asked about the Hilton, we did think it was a very nice hotel, especially for the price. I don't know exactly how many miles it was to the port, but when we went - with virtually no traffic - it only took 15-20 minutes. Very quick. We didn't see anything any better closer to the port. It gets very industrial the closer you get to the port area, while the area of the Hilton seems to have a bit more to offer in terms of restaurants, stores (CVS, for instance), etc. Hope that helps.

Have a great day.

Anyone with patter provide details of afternoon tea service in coral dining room or steak house? Need frequency and time, and if they started charging?

Thanks in advance

Tea is served daily, and free, in the Coral DR (3:30 to 4:30 PM) and to Elite cabins and Full Suites.

Crown Grill steakhouse: dinner charge is $25 pp. Pub Lunch (select Sea Days) is free.

~sent using Cruise Critic app~

Edited by sminfiddle