The BayPort and Caribbean Princess experience Jan. 18 sailing

5:00_Somewhere

caribill is correct: as I said, the crew was very nice and professional and they were very concerned about everyone's safety, which is a wonderful positive. They split us up into groups of 7 and each group had a guide. But, the guides were like mother hens and would not let us stray too far away, and we kept running into the other groups as we were all swimming around the same small area. For experienced snorkelers, it was incredibly frustrating. It would be great, maybe, for a family who was taking their small children for the first time, as safety was so emphasized. But, for us, it was terribly disappointing. Unfortunately, I cannot report on the other reef snorkeling excursion. And, I must say that others on our trip did say that they enjoyed it, so your mileage may vary. Hope that helps. ;)

I also meant to mention, the only thing "wrong with the cruise" thus far as that we have not seen the chicken and cashew salad in the International Cafe once the whole time. The horror. ;)

Today the weather is not bad: cloudy with some sun and about 72 degrees I would guess. Will write more later.

:eek: No chicken and cashew salad in the IC??? Oh, the horrors!! I would demand a full refund!! Isn't that item the only reason to sail Princess? :D

They split us up into groups of 7 and each group had a guide. But, the guides were like mother hens and would not let us stray too far away, and we kept running into the other groups as we were all swimming around the same small area. For experienced snorkelers, it was incredibly frustrating. But, for us, it was terribly disappointing. Unfortunately, I cannot report on the other reef snorkeling excursion. And, I must say that others on our trip did say that they enjoyed it, so your mileage may vary. Hope that helps. ;)

I also meant to mention, the only thing "wrong with the cruise" thus far as that we have not seen the chicken and cashew salad in the International Cafe once the whole time. The horror. ;)

Today the weather is not bad: cloudy with some sun and about 72 degrees I would guess. Will write more later.

Thanks 5:00, that's the kind of info I was looking for and it does help. It gives us pause in consideration of this excursion because we are experienced and really don't need to have our hands held.

PS I have really been looking forward to the cashew and chicken salad...please don't tell me they've done away with the oatmeal cookies too :eek:

Further report on our second-to-last day: by about 10:30 in the morning, the clouds had cleared and we have had beautiful clear blue skies with lots of sun and some high puffy clouds the majority of the day. Temperatures have been right around 75-80. Just a really pleasant and relaxing day.

On another note, the ship is out of the "red" health status, so all the condiments are back out and passengers are again allowed to serve themselves at various places around the ship, including the Horizon Court. Good news, indeed.

Hoping for more good weather tomorrow, and especially Saturday morning in Houston.

For those interested in the Sergeant's Caye excursion, here's a link to my review. Hope it's helpful.

Sounds like you guys are having a great time.

Enjoy the rest of the cruise!

We have not seen the cashew salad in the IC in the last few cruises we have been on.

Always see the chicken salad but no cashews. :(

Thanks, Keith, we are having a really wonderful and relaxing cruise. We feel so fortunate, after the less than ideal conditions people have experienced the past few weeks.

We actually had the chicken salad including cashews on the Royal last November. Not sure what's up.

caribill is correct: as I said, the crew was very nice and professional and they were very concerned about everyone's safety, which is a wonderful positive. They split us up into groups of 7 and each group had a guide. But, the guides were like mother hens and would not let us stray too far away, and we kept running into the other groups as we were all swimming around the same small area. For experienced snorkelers, it was incredibly frustrating. It would be great, maybe, for a family who was taking their small children for the first time, as safety was so emphasized. But, for us, it was terribly disappointing. Unfortunately, I cannot report on the other reef snorkeling excursion. And, I must say that others on our trip did say that they enjoyed it, so your mileage may vary. Hope that helps. ;)

We did the exact same excursion over New Year's and thought it was fine for what it was. We went in the afternoon and were the only boat there, so that might have made a difference. We had groups of 10 but it didn't feel crowded at all. They did make sure you followed them around which was weird at first, but then the guides were diving down and showing folks starfish, octopi, etc.

We went first to a dive shop on a cay where we signed waivers and got our fins. We returned there afterwards and we could go in a small shop, and they also gave us a rum punch in the bar area. There was also allegedly a beach but we didn't see it and there wasn't much time allowed enjoy it.

One thing to mention is that if you take an afternoon snorkel trip, you really have no time to tender into the mainland of Belize. As mentioned, the snorkel boats pick you up and drop you off at the ship, so if you want to visit Belize and snorkel too, you should book the latter in the morning.

Looking at the maps later, there probably would have been better reefs to snorkel, but I'm just not sure that any other ship excursion would hit them.

In case you haven't heard, an ice storm warning is in effect tonight through mid day Friday in the Houston metro area including Galveston. Wear your woolies as you disembark Saturday!

Friday Nightcond002.gifLow: 35

Cloudy with a 20 percent chance of rain in the evening...then partly cloudy after midnight. Lows in the mid 30s. Northwest winds 5 to 10 mph.

Saturdaycond003.gifHigh: 58

Partly cloudy. Not as cool. Highs in the upper 50s. West winds 5 to 10 mph.

Edited by caribill

snip

Hoping for more good weather tomorrow, and especially Saturday morning in Houston.

snip

Another artic vortex hit the middle and east part of the country dumping a lot of that white stuff with flights canceled, highways closed due to accidents with many vehicles, etc.

A cold front moved into south Texas this afternoon. Better get out the warm clothes for when you get back to Houston but it is supposed to be getting warmer on Saturday.

Guys- I have been following along. It's always good to hear from you and I am glad you are enjoying your cruise as much as I did.

It's minus 1 in Chicago tonight and windy....bad combination, so if it is 58 in Bayport on Saturday morning count your blessings!

Did you like the itinerary? I certainly liked seeing some new ports (had been to Cozumel many times) even though they were poverty-stricken. Hopefully our tourist dollars will have some trickle-down effect in the long run.

Have a great sea day! If you see Vlada the bar waiter on deck tell her Norris said hi.(young, blond, pony-tail, big smile)

Safe travels!

Norris

Last day; sea day. Woke up this morning to very rough seas, low clouds, cool temperatures and, eventually, drizzling rain. Some of even thought we saw some sleet at one point, believe it or not. Still, people are surprisingly not grumpy for the most part. Not much else to report. Just hoping for no fog in Houston tomorrow. Hearing about bad weather all around the country. Trying to connect to the NOAA website but having difficulty. If anyone has a fog report for Houston for Saturday morning, I know a LOT of people aboard would love to hear it. ;)

Very, VERY slow internet today, so only a quick post. I will answer questions once we're back on dry land, if not later today. Oh, except for Yoga: I found out the fitness center does offer Yoga classes on the 3 sea days for a cost of $30 for the 3 sessions.

Hope everyone is well.

Houston, rather Magnolia, TX is home for us now. Its been a rough winter so far. Last night we had sleet and snow and temps about 28. A week ago down to 17. Needless to say the Palms are toast. But by the time we board on 5th April it should be very nice. Right now I am ready for it.

We will be 9 in total. Three from Houston area, four from SF and two from DC. The DC guys and two of the SF guys are flying in and staying at hotels. There was some earlier discussion, and I am wondering which of the Bayport area hotels, I might suggest for the out of towners. I have not stayed in that area and its about 75 miles from me so it may as well be the moon.

I would appreciate you thoughts and suggestions. I know some provide transport to Bayport and some may not.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts, and the comments made on this thread. I am not much of a wine drinker and am thinking of replacing wine with spirits especially considering the trouble getting my fav tipple in Texas waters. Thoughts?

Cheers Mike

Edited by Bigmike911

Fzus54 khgx 242128

cwfhgx

coastal waters forecast for texas

national weather service houston/galveston tx

328 pm cst fri jan 24 2014

upper texas coastal waters from high island to the matagorda ship

channel out 60 nautical miles including galveston and matagorda bays

gmz300-251015-

synopsis for high island to the matagorda ship channel out 60

nautical miles including galveston and matagorda bays

.synopsis for high island to matagorda ship channel out 60 nm...

Strong offshore winds and elevated seas over the offshore waters

will be decreasing this evening as high pressure settles over the

region. A warm front will move back into the area sunday followed

by another cold front monday morning with strong offshore winds

developing behind the front.

$$

gmz330-335-251015-

matagorda bay-galveston bay-

.tonight...north winds 5 to 10 knots becoming northwest after

midnight. Bay waters smooth.

.saturday...west winds 5 to 10 knots. Bay waters smooth.

.saturday night...southwest winds around 5 knots. Bay waters

smooth.

.sunday...south winds 5 to 10 knots becoming southwest 10 to

15 knots in the afternoon. Bay waters smooth becoming slightly

choppy in the afternoon.

.sunday night...south winds 10 to 15 knots becoming southwest

after midnight. Bay waters slightly choppy.

.monday...northwest winds 5 to 10 knots becoming north 15 to

20 knots in the afternoon. Bay waters smooth becoming choppy in

the afternoon. A slight chance of showers.

.monday night...northeast winds 20 to 25 knots becoming 15 to

25 knots after midnight. Bay waters rough becoming choppy after

midnight. A slight chance of showers in the evening. A slight

chance of rain after midnight.

.tuesday...northeast winds 15 to 25 knots becoming 15 to 20 knots

in the afternoon. Bay waters choppy. A slight chance of rain.

.tuesday night...northeast winds 15 to 20 knots. Bay waters

choppy.

.wednesday...northeast winds 15 to 20 knots decreasing to 10 to

15 knots in the afternoon. Bay waters choppy becoming slightly

choppy in the afternoon.

.wednesday night...northeast winds 10 to 15 knots. Bay waters

slightly choppy.

$$

gmz350-355-251015-

waters from freeport to the matagorda ship channel out 20 nm-

waters from high island to freeport out 20 nm-

.tonight...north winds 10 to 15 knots becoming northwest 5 to

10 knots after midnight. Seas 2 to 4 feet.

.saturday...west winds around 10 knots. Seas 2 to 3 feet.

.saturday night...west winds 5 to 10 knots. Seas 2 feet.

.sunday...southwest winds 5 to 10 knots increasing to 10 to

15 knots in the afternoon. Seas 2 to 3 feet.

.sunday night...southwest winds 10 to 15 knots. Seas 2 to 3 feet.

.monday...northwest winds around 10 knots becoming north 20 to

25 knots in the afternoon. Seas 2 to 3 feet building to 4 to

6 feet in the afternoon. A slight chance of showers.

.monday night...northeast winds 20 to 25 knots. Seas 5 to 7 feet.

A slight chance of showers in the evening...then a slight chance

of rain after midnight.

.tuesday...northeast winds 20 to 25 knots becoming 15 to 25 knots

in the afternoon. Seas 5 to 7 feet. A slight chance of rain.

.tuesday night...northeast winds 15 to 25 knots becoming 20 to

25 knots after midnight. Seas 4 to 6 feet.

.wednesday...northeast winds 15 to 20 knots. Seas 3 to 5 feet.

.wednesday night...northeast winds 10 to 15 knots. Seas 2 to

3 feet.

$$

gmz370-375-251015-

waters from freeport to the matagorda ship channel 20 nm to 60 nm-

waters from high island to freeport 20 to 60 nm-

...small craft advisory in effect until 5 pm cst this afternoon...

.tonight...north winds 15 to 25 knots decreasing to 5 to 10 knots

after midnight. Seas 7 to 10 feet decreasing to 4 to 6 feet. A

slight chance of rain early in the evening.

.saturday...northwest winds around 10 knots becoming west in the

afternoon. Seas 2 to 4 feet.

.saturday night...west winds 5 to 10 knots. Seas 2 to 3 feet.

.sunday...west winds 10 to 15 knots becoming southwest in the

afternoon. Seas 2 to 3 feet.

.sunday night...southwest winds 10 to 15 knots. Seas 3 feet.

.monday...west winds 5 to 10 knots becoming north 20 to 25 knots

in the afternoon. Seas 3 to 5 feet building to 5 to 7 feet in the

afternoon. A slight chance of showers.

.monday night...northeast winds 20 to 30 knots becoming 25 to

30 knots after midnight. Seas 7 to 9 feet. A slight chance of

showers in the evening...then a slight chance of rain after

midnight.

.tuesday...northeast winds 25 to 30 knots becoming 20 to 30 knots

in the afternoon. Seas 6 to 9 feet. A slight chance of rain.

.tuesday night...northeast winds 20 to 25 knots. Seas 6 to

9 feet.

.wednesday...northeast winds 20 to 25 knots decreasing to 15 to

20 knots in the afternoon. Seas 6 to 8 feet subsiding to 4 to

6 feet in the afternoon.

.wednesday night...northeast winds 10 to 15 knots. Seas 3 to

5 feet.

$$

We are currently at the Comfort Suites in Seabrook. They say they are one of the closest hotels to the port. Senior rate is $89 for a VERY nice room. They have a shuttle to the port and you can also use the shuttle to go to restaurants, etc.

Sent from my Lenovo B8000-F using Forums mobile app

Do they charge for leaving your car at the hotel or for the shuttle service?? We will be sailing out of Bayport on 3-29.

Thanks,

Doug

Have heard about the Comfort and that they shuttle so we booked there to, Very reasonable, Getting a ride from Hobby there the day before the cruise and hoping fog will be gone in a month ! Time to think about what to pack ! This has been a great review and fun . Thanks !

Thank you MT and Clay for the weather reports for tomorrow. I'll tell you, the way it looks outside the ship right now, I would otherwise be doubtful. Looks like a major winter storm in the north Atlantic. But, fingers crossed.

Viewing Galveston webcams and ship tracking there appears to be no signs of fog or delays for returning to Bayport Cruise Terminal. The CB is about to join a stream of traffic in the Houston Ship Channel through Galveston Bay.

We are having a major winter storm (for us) in Southeast Texas. Yesterday most schools and businesses in the area were closed due to ice and road conditions. Freeways were a mess overpasses and bridges covered with ice and closed. Many flights Friday morning cancelled. Things are back pretty much to normal with concern if any ice will be a problem first thing in the morning from water still around on the roads. It is going to be cold first thing in the morning around 29 and warming up to around 57 by 3 PM. Hope that none of this causes any problem for people traveling.

From your reports it appears you have enjoyed your cruise. Thanks for your detailed report. We will be going on the cruise in a few weeks.