No smoking on balconys?

I waded through most of the thread...then it became the same thing over and over.

A few thoughts...

Those of you who "Vape" and say you will simply ignore the rule trouble me. What other rules do you simply choose to ignore? I am not necessarily talking about just on the ship. Would you be fine with everyone in society just following the rules that they like? As a child growing up I was taught that there are three things that everyone should do related to rules; 1) Find out what they are. 2) Follow them. 3) Work within the proper system to attempt to change the ones with which you are in disagreement while doing number 2.

When you get caught breaking the e-cigarette rule and are hit with a large fine, or removed from the ship, don't come here complaining about how you were treated. If you CHOOSE to break a rule, be prepared to accept the consequences of your choice.

If I see you willingfully breaking the rule and tell a crew member don't get angry with me. You see, I accept that it is your right to conduct yourself in the manner of your choosing. You need to accept that it is my right to report anyone for breaking a rule that might put others in jeopardy. And unless you have scientific proof that is accepted by every expert in every corner of the world you MIGHT by putting another in jeopardy.

Edited by TC1957

Not so. I was subjected to them over Turkey Day w/e. Not odorless at all and there have been preliminary studies that suggest not so 100% harmless either. 3 different versions/brands. I give my cousins props for trying and it was a vast improvement over the real thing but it still gives the appearance. And appearances really are everything sometimes.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Forums mobile app

They do have different flavors, but I doubt somebody is going to complain that they smell green apple on their balcony. They are much safer than the real thing. What's next banning nicotine gum and patches? People need to lighten up, it's WATER VAPOR, it's not going to kill you, and if it helps somebody stop smoking regular cigs, it's a good thing.

...snip... What's next banning nicotine gum and patches? ...snip...
Neither of those produce smoke or something that looks like smoke. So no, they will not be banning those. Use logic please! (something that is in short supply among many people)

You couldn't be more right. I swear some seem to be hiding in the reeds just waiting to pounce on a smoking thread. Otherwise we'd never hear from them. It is fun to watch.:D

Hey, nobody is hiding inside me! I am sure of that!

Neither of those produce smoke or something that looks like smoke. So no, they will not be banning those. Use logic please! (something that is in short supply among many people)

Logic would suggest that e-cigs are as harmful to others as patches and gum. Not using logic, one would say "oh that looks scary… BAN IT!"

Really? Because almost every show and theme park attraction that uses it has a warning that theatrical fog will be used and that those sensitive to it should take precautions. Several studies (including one by OSHA) have shown that theatrical fog can irritate the eyes and respiratory tract. The ESTA and ANSI standard for the use of theatrical fog (ANSI E1-5_2009) places strict limits on the composition of the fluid and amounts of contaminants (which aren't regulated for e-cigs) and for the amount of exposure, and it doesn't recommend exposure for those under 18 or over 65. Extended exposure to theatrical fog has been associated with long-term respiratory health problems and voice symptoms, and many films have stopped using it now that fog can be digitally added in post production.

Even better. So it is actually potentially harmful, yet I've not seen or heard of anyone scared of a brief exposure during a show. I'm certainly not.

Really? Because almost every show and theme park attraction that uses it has a warning that theatrical fog will be used and that those sensitive to it should take precautions. Several studies (including one by OSHA) have shown that theatrical fog can irritate the eyes and respiratory tract. The ESTA and ANSI standard for the use of theatrical fog (ANSI E1-5_2009) places strict limits on the composition of the fluid and amounts of contaminants (which aren't regulated for e-cigs) and for the amount of exposure, and it doesn't recommend exposure for those under 18 or over 65. Extended exposure to theatrical fog has been associated with long-term respiratory health problems and voice symptoms, and many films have stopped using it now that fog can be digitally added in post production.

The necessary ppm to reach the required density levels for maximum allowed exposure would require everyone on the ship, smoker or not, to cram into a suite and vape as fast as they can. They'd have to keep it up because the glycol levels in e-cig juice are much lower than in conventional fog fluid (e-cig fog is only visible for 4-8 seconds, fog for anywhere from 30 seconds to a couple of minutes depending on the formulation).

Agreed though that e-cig manufacture needs tighter standards.

Question: Has anyone here been irriated by the fog levels used during one of the Promenade events or during one of the production shows? I've been in Production for over 30 years now and have encountered a total of 2 performers that had problems. In both cases it was because they were staged to be too close to the machine while it was firing...

I waded through most of the thread...then it became the same thing over and over.

A few thoughts...

Those of you who "Vape" and say you will simply ignore the rule trouble me. What other rules do you simply choose to ignore? I am not necessarily talking about just on the ship. Would you be fine with everyone in society just following the rules that they like? As a child growing up I was taught that there are three things that everyone should do related to rules; 1) Find out what they are. 2) Follow them. 3) Work within the proper system to attempt to change the ones with which you are in disagreement while doing number 2.

When you get caught breaking the e-cigarette rule and are hit with a large fine, or removed from the ship, don't come here complaining about how you were treated. If you CHOOSE to break a rule, be prepared to accept the consequences of your choice.

If I see you willingfully breaking the rule and tell a crew member don't get angry with me. You see, I accept that it is your right to conduct yourself in the manner of your choosing. You need to accept that it is my right to report anyone for breaking a rule that might put others in jeopardy. And unless you have scientific proof that is accepted by every expert in every corner of the world you MIGHT by putting another in jeopardy.

This word for word!

Logic would suggest that e-cigs are as harmful to others as patches and gum. Not using logic, one would say "oh that looks scary… BAN IT!"

Doesn't matter. They still produce something that looks like smoke, so they are the same as cigarettes. OTOH, the other items you listed do not produce anything by themselves. See the difference?

Doesn't matter. They still produce something that looks like smoke, so they are the same as cigarettes. OTOH, the other items you listed do not produce anything by themselves. See the difference?

They do not produce anything remotely harmful, do you see how illogical your argument is? Should a 12 year old not be allowed to drink a coke, because it looks too much like a rum and coke? Banning something based on appearance is not logical at all, especially if it is helping someone quit smoking.

They do not produce anything remotely harmful, do you see how illogical your argument is? Should a 12 year old not be allowed to drink a coke, because it looks too much like a rum and coke? Banning something based on appearance is not logical at all, especially if it is helping someone quit smoking.

Again, let me see if I can explain this to you. Both cigarettes and electronic cigarettes produce a smoke like substance. Therefore, they are equivalent.

But either way, the cruise line has chosen to treat eCigs the same as regular cigarettes. It is their rules that have to be followed.

You can come up with a myriad of silly comparisons if you want to, but the bottom line is that they are banned on balconies.

The things smokers seem to think of to justify their habit!

...snip...

Thank you for some logic.

Look, if someone does not like the policies of RCCL, then they have the choice to travel a different cruise line that more meets their needs. But when someone travels RCCL, the rules have to be followed.

So in the spirit of an interesting debate, what are your thoughts on say a nebulizer? These also emit a "smoke-like" substance which is a vapor of saline and medication (usually albuterol or ipratropium bromide.) I'm pretty sure nebulizers are allowed.

Perhaps if the FDA regulates e-cigs vapers can get a prescription and will be allowed to use e-cigs in the same manner as nebulizers, inhaled asthma meds, CPAP, etc.

Again, let me see if I can explain this to you. Both cigarettes and electronic cigarettes produce a smoke like substance. Therefore, they are equivalent.

But either way, the cruise line has chosen to treat eCigs the same as regular cigarettes. It is their rules that have to be followed.

You can come up with a myriad of silly comparisons if you want to, but the bottom line is that they are banned on balconies.

First off, I'm not a smoker, I have never smoked.

Second, if you use an E-Cig you aren't smoking, you are emitting water vapor.

Third, it doesn't justify it, it's breaking a potentially deadly habit with a harmless one.

Fourth, do you really think it is not possible for Royal Caribbean to have a bad rule? I agree that they get to choose the rules, but that doesn't mean we must agree like brainless loyalists.

And finally, should candy cigarettes be banned? They too can give the appearance of smoking.

People need to lighten up, it's WATER VAPOR, it's not going to kill you, and if it helps somebody stop smoking regular cigs, it's a good thing.

Second, if you use an E-Cig you aren't smoking, you are emitting water vapor.

Despite what the manufacturers might say, it's not water vapor, it's a glycol/glycerin fog. Try inhaling what comes out of a warm-mist humidifier (actual water vapor) and see if it looks the same when you breathe it out. The e-cig vapor also contains nicotine, even second hand (although only about 10% as much as cigarette smoke).

Despite what the manufacturers might say, it's not water vapor, it's a glycol/glycerin fog. Try inhaling what comes out of a warm-mist humidifier (actual water vapor) and see if it looks the same when you breathe it out. The e-cig vapor also contains nicotine, even second hand (although only about 10% as much as cigarette smoke).

My point being that it is not smoke, and is harmless (especially second hand).

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I am genuinely confused..........

Here in the UK there are e-cigs..........contain nicotine etc.

then there are vaporisers..........these do not contain nicotine, therefore do not produce nicotine, only glycol vapour.

With the RCI ban (which i will adhere to, just trying to clarify) is it e-cigs that are banned on the balcony or both e-cigs and vaporisers ?

No matter how many smoking threads I read , and I do find them entertaining so I read a lot of them. I am just always amazed with some of the responses

First off I am a smoker. I only smoke in designated smoking areas, and I do think smokers who smoke in non smoking areas are wrong.

But come on with some of these posts . "You need to accept that it is my right to report you" "I have no problem marching to the front desk or calling security" "I don't know if it is a real cigarette or an E Cig , I will just report you" "If you light up in front of me it won't be pretty" There was a thread one time where someone said they would walk around the ship with a camera and take pictures of offenders.

It's like some people are going on vacation hoping and praying someone smokes so they can report them and then be able to come back here and report they got someone fined $250 . Or they will complain that no one on the ship did anything and who in the cruiseline hierarchy can they write to start more trouble.

I think some people think the cruiseline will reward them with half the fine money for every offender they catch.

With the RCI ban (which i will adhere to, just trying to clarify) is it e-cigs that are banned on the balcony or both e-cigs and vaporisers ?

I think it is both. You have to wonder. Supposedly people were bothered by their neighbors smoking because some would have god awful reactions to cigarette smoke and others couldn't possibly survive the smell of cigarette smoke. Now with the e-cigs and vapor.......they still can't survive around either even though....no cigarette smoke, no cigarette smell.

For those that paid attention.....the moment the cigarette ban was announced, the rally started against e-cigs......just in case they might not like those either.

But come on with some of these posts . "You need to accept that it is my right to report you" "I have no problem marching to the front desk or calling security" "I don't know if it is a real cigarette or an E Cig , I will just report you" "If you light up in front of me it won't be pretty" There was a thread one time where someone said they would walk around the ship with a camera and take pictures of offenders.

It's like some people are going on vacation hoping and praying someone smokes so they can report them and then be able to come back here and report they got someone fined $250 . Or they will complain that no one on the ship did anything and who in the cruiseline hierarchy can they write to start more trouble.

I think some people think the cruiseline will reward them with half the fine money for every offender they catch.

I would never report anyone. I may ask them to stop if it was really bad. I can't imagine how e-cigs could hurt either.

But, I like the idea of being able to have the door open :)

Tom

I would never report anyone. I may ask them to stop if it was really bad. I can't imagine how e-cigs could hurt either.

But, I like the idea of being able to have the door open :)

Tom

And I would do the same if someone was doing anything that was really bothering me . Go up to them and ask them nicely first. If it got nasty then you take it further.

But another thing is , you are not supposed to leave the balcony door open because it screws up the air conditioning for all the other cabins on that line, so that is a no no too

No matter how many smoking threads I read , and I do find them entertaining so I read a lot of them. I am just always amazed with some of the responses

First off I am a smoker. I only smoke in designated smoking areas, and I do think smokers who smoke in non smoking areas are wrong.

"Wanted Dead or Alive", next they will start putting up rewards posters.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

And I would do the same if someone was doing anything that was really bothering me . Go up to them and ask them nicely first. If it got nasty then you take it further.

But another thing is , you are not supposed to leave the balcony door open because it screws up the air conditioning for all the other cabins on that line, so that is a no no too

It doesn't screw the air up for all the other cabins, just yours. Each cabin has its own thermostat so it can't affect another cabin.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

smoke - a visible suspension of carbon or other particles in air, typically one emitted from a burning substance.

vapor - a substance diffused or suspended in the air, esp. one normally liquid or solid.

Huge difference.

E-cig users are non smokers.

Edited by jstraw20