This is going hurt , Canadian dollar dropping

Ex-Airbalancer

Last January , Canadian dollar was more then the US dollar , now it 10% less,

This will make it harder to find cruise money

If it goes to 80 cent I will be staying home a lot more :(

There are alternatives -- go for an inside/Oceanview cabin and come join us on Connie this Spring's TA. :)

We're feeling the pain as well.

Our future cruise bookings have become way more expensive than we anticipated, enough to cover the cost of airfare.

It looks like there will be more inside cabins in our future if the trend continues.

OK, so you can 'add' money to your booking? We're Belgians and made our reservation with an American travel agent.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Not sure if this post is based on what I wrote??? When I mentioned 'add' I didn't mean it in the literal sense.....just that we had to 'factor in' the additional cost to our vacation.....and based on how well the CAD had been performing, it's an additional expense that we haven't paid on other cruises etc.

Equniox Nov 2012 TA, 2c, $799 cad with $300 obc

Silhouette April 2013 TA, in an A1, we paid $999 cad, with $450 obc

Equniox Nov 2013 TA 1b, $1140 cad , $75 obc with drink package

This year on the TAs we are watch an inside is over $1000 to $1500

Airfare is up over $200 a person

I guess we will have to see the pricing after finial payment date to see what we can afford

We are also feeling the crunch :eek:. Our European cruise this Oct was I thought very expensive when we booked it last Sept. But we booked it and hoped it would come down LOL. It is now $200pp more. They are predicting by the near end of year our $ worth $.85 :(. Maybe we will have to cancel as we have too much to lose with hotels and excutions.

I don't know if it will happen again but in the past when the exchange was unfavourable to Canadians, X and other cruise lines didn't hit us with the full rate of exchange. This helped as long as you booked your cruise in Canadian $. For those who use US based TA's it didn't help.

Fingers are crossed that they will do this again.

We have a cruise booked for September and the airfare has increased by $100.00 in the last three days! We were hoping to wait til spring to book the air, but at this rate who knows how high it will get. Thank goodness our cruise was booked some time ago in Canadian dollars! Problem also is spending money and excursion costs, too. We might have to cut back on these.

I also think the fares are higher. I imagine the promotions are part of it. We had family health issues that played Into it, but we dropped a 14 for 10 day to get AQ. Inside Oceania is less than what I paid and included airfare.

Cruisenut I was thinking of you and zeniths, would you be more inclined to book between promotions where rates maybe lower and you would not be duplicating benefits?

Edited by hulamoon

One of the reasons I booked next year's Caribbean cruise in December, in Canadian dollars! Got a good price (basically same as this year), a great cabin (one of the best hump angle balconies) and the 123GO! Promotion.

So happy that I did. Have a feeling that this time next year it's going to look like a real deal :)

Our invoice clearly states the amount owing is in Canadian funds. Anything purchased from now (beverage upgrade, on board spending) will be affected by the drop in the dollar.

BC

Buy as much as you can on the website pre-cruise, including OBC, specialty dining, etc. They will be payable in Canadian dollars and I find that Celebrity's conversion rate is usually very favourable.

Edited by Fouremco

One of the reasons I booked next year's Caribbean cruise in December, in Canadian dollars! Got a good price (basically same as this year), a great cabin (one of the best hump angle balconies) and the 123GO! Promotion.

So happy that I did. Have a feeling that this time next year it's going to look like a real deal :)

When we 'registered' on the Celebrity website, we were asked to choose either CAD or USD and that currency would remain as our payable currency for any bookings. We chose USD because of the rates at the time.

Does anyone know if you can change to another currency? If so, how do you do it? Would we have to 're-register' with Celebrity? I would call them but sometimes it's an act in futility.....

When we 'registered' on the Celebrity website, we were asked to choose either CAD or USD and that currency would remain as our payable currency for any bookings. We chose USD because of the rates at the time.

Does anyone know if you can change to another currency? If so, how do you do it? Would we have to 're-register' with Celebrity? I would call them but sometimes it's an act in futility.....

Interesting question. When I first started using the site, everything was quoted in Canadian dollars and I simply accepted that. I don't recall ever having the option of USD quotes or payments.

I asked the guy at Celebrity earlier this week if I can change a USD booking to CDN and he said no. Once USD is selected you can't change. I am going to cancel and rebook in CDN since my pricing is still almost exactly the same.

The email in question from the TA in question prompted me to write to request a quote on a specific sailing. They will only give pricing out in USD and not on email.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Edited by Josie2

I too received an email from the above TA....I'm thinking we aren't supposed to mention them but ..... at least it makes it a bit less painful......I believe the incentive is applicable to all cruises though....not just Caribbean ones.....or did you 'Airbalancer' mean that the lowest priced cruises are the Caribbean ones? We too were looking at Med/European ones and they are too high.....and factoring the exchange rates along with airfare I am finding really high (not sure why) it makes for a pricey vacation.

No, I was probably think how lousy the dollar doing against the Euro when I wrote that . You know airfare is up, hotels are up, gelato is up

Yes and I know of some New York bridges for sale or alternatively some water front land (ready for development) in Florida.:D

Well Jack, hate to break it to you but Celebrity already has some Canadian resident special pricing. This is very similar to some resident pricing available for folks in the US. Nothing new but often worth looking at if trying to save a few bucks!