Dress Code on Seabourn vs. Carnival

CruiseGuyz

I was having a discussion with a member on the Carnival board.

I personally refuse to cruise on Carnival anymore due to the lack of dress code standards on board. Men in thong sandals, cargo shorts, tee shirts, cut off wifebeaters. Women in scantily clad shorts, velour track suits and the like.

When I sit down for a fine meal, I do not want to be sitting next to someone dressed like a bum. Do you all find that Seaborn cruisers are better attired?

I was on the Legend in 2011

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showt...6#post41441496

I was having a discussion with a member on the Carnival board.

I personally refuse to cruise on Carnival anymore due to the lack of dress code standards on board. Men in thong sandals, cargo shorts, tee shirts, cut off wifebeaters. Women in scantily clad shorts, velour track suits and the like.

When I sit down for a fine meal, I do not want to be sitting next to someone dressed like a bum. Do you all find that Seaborn cruisers are better attired?

I was on the Legend in 2011

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showt...6#post41441496

Well, some of the outfits you describe could certainly be seen on Seabourn during the day, mostly on deck, but I imagine you meant during evening cocktails, dinner etc., when they would not.

Unfortunately, during a cruise this summer, there were a handful of "gentlemen" (hardly gentlemen) wearing T-shirts, shorts and flip flops on the deck at dinner. Not even a golf shirt. I think they probably hadn't showered as they looked like had come from the beach. This was repeated several nights over a two week cruise.

Edited by Adventurans

Unfortunately, during a cruise this summer, there were a handful of "gentlemen" (hardly gentlemen) wearing T-shirts, shorts and flip flops on the deck at dinner. Not even a golf shirt. I think they probably hadn't showered as they looked like had come from the beach. This was repeated several nights over a two week cruise.

Which line and ship please?

that was the Patio grille, no dress code there but jackets most nights in the dining room and no shorts at the collonade

Wow, what an utter disgrace. I would have said something to the Maitre D

There is a relaxed dress code outside at the Patio Grill.

It's not really the sort of place that you would find people dressed up to the nines.

The main dining room,Restaurant 2 and the Colonnade are very different from the Patio Grill in how people dress for dinner.

It seems to work very well.

When I sit down for a fine meal, I do not want to be sitting next to someone dressed like a bum.

I thought that the "Bums" that sailed on Carnival did so because of this sort of dress code.The two seem to go nicely together.:)

There is a cruise line for everyone, thankfully.

Edited by Mr Luxury

There is a relaxed dress code outside at the Patio Grill.

It's not really the sort of place that you would find people dressed up to the nines.

The main dining room,Restaurant 2 and the Colonnade are very different from the Patio Grill in how people dress for dinner.

It seems to work very well.

Seems like some passengers on Adventurans cruise equate relaxed dress code with no dress code. Beach attire is not what I would care to see. Even at the patio grill I see at least button down shirts with yhe occssional smart looking long shorts on men.

I didn't dine outside at the Patio Grille in the evening but as has been said already I understand that it has a more relaxed dress code. An alternative venue if you didn't want to get all dressed up. I don't think you would penalise someone for dressing down there. I can almost envisage a day ashore, returning to the ship for a couple of drinks with friends, losing track of time and deciding to have a bite to eat on the spur of the moment.

Inside the ship I felt everyone made the effort for pre-dinner drinks and dinner. If anything I'd say we were all a touch formal on some of the "resort casual" nights. Not a complaint - I was guilty myself.

It all added to the sense of occasion.

I'm sure had I gone searching it would have been possible to find the odd crime of couture but there was no sense of it being endemic.

As an English gentleman I found the penchant for omitting socks whilst enjoying the comfort of a Gucci loafer somewhat "continental" but I understand it's all the rage in Le sud de la France so one mustn't judge too harshly :)

Henry.

I didn't dine outside at the Patio Grille in the evening but as has been said already I understand that it has a more relaxed dress code. An alternative venue if you didn't want to get all dressed up. I don't think you would penalise someone for dressing down there. I can almost envisage a day ashore, returning to the ship for a couple of drinks with friends, losing track of time and deciding to have a bite to eat on the spur of the moment.

Inside the ship I felt everyone made the effort for pre-dinner drinks and dinner. If anything I'd say we were all a touch formal on some of the "resort casual" nights. Not a complaint - I was guilty myself.

It all added to the sense of occasion.

I'm sure had I gone searching it would have been possible to find the odd crime of couture but there was no sense of it being endemic.

As an English gentleman I found the penchant for omitting socks whilst enjoying the comfort of a Gucci loafer somewhat "continental" but I understand it's all the rage in Le sud de la France so one mustn't judge too harshly :)

Henry.

I can deal with occasional transgression, but considering that we sailed at 5 and the beach goers showed up at 8, I can't imagine that they hadn't found the time to shower in three hours, drinks or no drinks. As for sock-less legs, I find them quite sexy actually, and very fashionable. Nothing beats a pair of Tod's or Gucci shoes sans socks.

On the Seabourn World Cruise to Hong Kong and am amazed at the elegance displayed. A full 95% of guests are more that appropriately attired at all venues. Amazing! The other 5% need to find those other lines appropriate to their dress choices, as stated above in this thread. Gorgeous comes to mind.

Post pictures of those committing this sartorial crime of not dressing correctly and keeping up with the 95% of guests.

We can start a rogues gallery and cruise lines can bar those not up to the mark.:D

Imagine being banished to Carnival for the rest of your cruising days

How lucky we are.

Edited by Mr Luxury

On the Seabourn World Cruise to Hong Kong and am amazed at the elegance displayed. A full 95% of guests are more that appropriately attired at all venues. Amazing! The other 5% need to find those other lines appropriate to their dress choices, as stated above in this thread. Gorgeous comes to mind.

We're joining the ship in Hong Kong, so I'm pleased to read that so many guests know how to dress. Hopefully the other 5% will 'get with the programme' by then !

We're joining the ship in Hong Kong, so I'm pleased to read that so many guests know how to dress. Hopefully the other 5% will 'get with the programme' by then !

Snap a few shots of the offenders,then we can prepare ourselves for what is coming for the future of cruising.:eek:

Post pictures of those committing this sartorial crime of not dressing correctly and keeping up with the 95% of guests.

We can start a rogues gallery and cruise lines can bar those not up to the mark.:D

Imagine being banished to Carnival for the rest of your cruising days

How lucky we are.

I'm liking that idea a lot!

Providing no one sees fit to photograph me of course !

Henry :)

I'm liking that idea a lot!

Providing no one sees fit to photograph me of course !

You looked fine on your first Seabourn cruise.

I've told head office that you can come again.

South Africa?

Considering that the dress code is freely published by Seabourn and that even the most blinkered can see how those around them dress for dinner, those that choose to wear shorts etc are a peculiar mix of rude, ignorant and stupid.

There are plenty of cruise lines catering for trailer trash; lines such as Seabourn and Silversea are for the more refined. No?

If you are expecting button downs and long pants on the men at the pool grille at dinner then you may be expecting too much, especially while sailing around beachy/warm weather locales. I never saw wife beaters, booty shorts or anything raunchy, but by the pool we saw several men in khaki shorts, golf shirts and deck shoes at dinner along with women in floral sundresses and flip flops.

I never saw anyone inappropriately dressed in the MDR or Restaurant 2. I try not to let others bother me, but there was one family group on the ship I did find there choice of dress questionable. They looked like the stepped out of the pages of The Goodfellas with pinky rings, gold chains, etc while the women were wearing very tight and short dresses more appropriate for a NYC nightclub.

Please excuse my ignorance, but, what are 'wife beaters'?

A tight fitting sleeveless T-shirt or vest top. Cut in at the shoulders to excentuate the upper arm and shoulder muscles. Shows off a full tattoo sleeve very well but lacks the ability to store a packet of cigarettes under the sleeve as per a standard tight fitting T.

A tight fitting sleeveless T-shirt or vest top. Cut in at the shoulders to excentuate the upper arm and shoulder muscles. Shows off a full tattoo sleeve very well but lacks the ability to store a packet of cigarettes under the sleeve as per a standard tight fitting T.

What's a T shirt?