How do I set up my ipad for wifi on ship?

Boiler Fan

Hello! I received an ipad for Christmas and will be bringing it on my Silhouette cruise next month. How do I set it up so I can access the ship's wifi in my cabin or anywhere else on the ship? Also, is there something I can do in "Settings" on the ipad so I don't continuously access the wifi for email updates, etc.? I will have 90 minutes free internet thanks to elite status. I'm guessing with the wifi speed, that won't last very long. Do I need to go to the ilounge to set it up?

Thanks for any help! :)

Linda

The first thing you have to do to set up the wifi for your iPad is go to the computer center and set up a wifi account. If you are not sure about what else needs to be done, such as how to log into and out of the ship's wifi system, then ask the staff there for help.

Hello! I received an ipad for Christmas and will be bringing it on my Silhouette cruise next month. How do I set it up so I can access the ship's wifi in my cabin or anywhere else on the ship? Also, is there something I can do in "Settings" on the ipad so I don't continuously access the wifi for email updates, etc.? I will have 90 minutes free internet thanks to elite status. I'm guessing with the wifi speed, that won't last very long. Do I need to go to the ilounge to set it up?

There will be instructions on how to set up your account and the costs.

Be sure to set up the iPad's Mail app before you leave home. That way you can log on to the WiFi, download email, then log off. Take your time reading and composing replies. Then log on, send replies, then log off. This way you'll greatly minimize your WiFi cost.

And this is VERY easy to practice before you leave home.

The first thing you have to do to set up the wifi for your iPad is go to the computer center and set up a wifi account. If you are not sure about what else needs to be done, such as how to log into and out of the ship's wifi system, then ask the staff there for help.

This is what we do… my husband always goes to the computer center and they help setting the account. Between both of us we get 180 free minutes. :):)

I was going to add the following answers to my post above but was interrupted with a phone call before I could complete the post.

>>>How do I set it up so I can access the ship's wifi in my cabin or anywhere else on the ship?

This is explained in my post above. Basically you set up a wifi account in the computer lounge on the ship. You can do this on your own on one of the wired computers there or ask for help in doing it. They have printed pamphlets there telling you how to do this. You also need to go there to set up your 90 free minutes (for Elite Captain's Club) and to turn in the coupon to the staff there. After you've set up your wifi account you just log onto the Celebrity wifi system on your iPad using the instructions provided. Be sure to log off when you are done.

Here is a link to the instructions from a cruise a year ago - current instructions may or may not be the same: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_TOln82Kk2MZHlSZU1aY2g4eVE/edit?usp=sharing

>>>Also, is there something I can do in "Settings" on the ipad so I don't continuously access the wifi for email updates, etc.?

You need to log off of the Celebrity system each time you finish your session in order to stop the clock on your minutes. The instructions will tell you how to do this and you can have the staff set up a shortcut on your iPad for you if you don't understand how to do this yourself. I usually log off and then either turn wifi off or airplane mode on to make sure the wifi is off and to save battery life.

>>>I will have 90 minutes free internet thanks to elite status. I'm guessing with the wifi speed, that won't last very long.

The 90 minutes will last for 90 minutes of online time regardless of how fast or slow the wifi speed is. The only way they might last less than 90 minutes is if you forget to log off and the system keeps using your minutes up after you think you were done. So don't forget to log off.

>>>Do I need to go to the ilounge to set it up?

Yes you do.

The short answer is go to the computer center (I-lounge) and let them do it. It will take them one minute and it will be good to go.

As others have said there will be a log on AND LOG OFF bookmarked page they will save on your iPad.

Have great cruise

This is the easiest method.

You also need to talk to the staff member about making sure that you are not connected when not using. You may think you are off line but not be and will end up with a humongous bill.

.🌴🍸🍻🍺

Turn your cell service, data roaming etc off when not in use. You don't want to get socked with added fees.

Also turn off push notifications raft automatically download.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

If they have an iPad they don't have to worry about that. Your advice can be ignored. That is advice for an iPhone. Even if they have a iPad with the cellular option and a data plan and not a WiFi only iPad. It won't roam. The plans sold for those are US only if bought in the US. It will say no service on the ship and at foreign ports.

An iPad is not an iPhone! Don't confuse the two devices.

Edited by Charles4515

Thanks for any help! :)

Linda

Actually if you follow the advice that some have posted and do your reading and writing of email offline 90 minutes can last a whole week. It takes a little practice. I log on, download my email, log off. Write the replies offline, then log on and send. Then log off.

Edited by Charles4515

Another recomendation is to add a new email account and send it to who you want to communicate with on the cruise.

I have added another gmail that differs from the 'normal' one we use daily at home. We get a lot of useless emails on our normal account so a new account really cuts down on unwanted emails and wasted time downloading or reading them.

I still need to get 'important' emails related to work, so I have a workmate send me ones I have to see/respond to and I don't worry about low-pri emails and ones with Big attachments.

Enjoy! And for those who say we shouldn't be reading work emails, we are on vacation....I agree.....my customers don't understand that though. But you'd be surprised how little my coworkers send me, they handle it all pretty well!

Den

If they have an iPad they don't have to worry about that. Your advice can be ignored. That is advice for an iPhone. Even if they have a iPad with the cellular option and a data plan and not a WiFi only iPad. It won't roam. The plans sold for those are US only if bought in the US. It will say no service on the ship and at foreign ports.

An iPad is not an iPhone! Don't confuse the two devices.

Just trying to help... no need for negative energy here please.