Talk to me about margs

MissBreezy

As an expat living in Canada the prospect of possibly getting a good margarita while on our cruise has me positively giddy. Where I live they put sugar on the rim - blasphemy! :eek:

Can someone tell me if it's possible to get a blended margarita or do they only serve them on the rocks? Also, are they worthy of my drooling in advance?

I'm already slightly disappointed that the iced tea isn't the real brewed kind so I need some hope!

As an expat living in Canada the prospect of possibly getting a good margarita while on our cruise has me positively giddy. Where I live they put sugar on the rim - blasphemy! :eek:

Can someone tell me if it's possible to get a blended margarita or do they only serve them on the rocks? Also, are they worthy of my drooling in advance?

Sugar is actually not uncommon on the rim of a strawberry margarita. In any event, yes you can get a blended margarita onboard.

As to whether it's worth drooling over, I guess that depends on what you consider a good margarita. They use packaged sour mix, so it won't be as good as a margarita made with all fresh juices, and unless you specify otherwise, it will be made with cheap house tequila and triple sec.

You can get a Molecular style Margarita at the Molecular bar. Any juice they used is freshly made that day.

The bartenders will make the drink anyway you request it to be made for a price.

🌴🍸🍻🍺

I'm already slightly disappointed that the iced tea isn't the real brewed kind so I need some hope!

I bartended in Canada for several years and we never, EVER put sugar on the rim! Salt or nothing at all. You may need to give that bartender a good guide book ...

You can make your own brewed tea. Lots of tea bags available!

Don't know about the cruise but I can't understand you not getting a good margarita in Canada. I've had them in Halifax, Moncton, Montreal, Ottawa and Toronto.

Ask a few friends or co-workers. I'm sure they can direct you to a place that makes em just the way you like.

Have lived in Canada all my life--- and it's a loooong one;):D

Never ever have I been served a margarita with sugar on the rim, always a choice of salt or nothing.

Where or where do you live up here so that I can tell all my friends and family to avoid this place.:eek: Shame of shames. :o:oDo they do this in EVERY bar? The mind boggles.:(

Have lived in Canada all my life--- and it's a loooong one;):D

Never ever have I been served a margarita with sugar on the rim, always a choice of salt or nothing.

Where or where do you live up here so that I can tell all my friends and family to avoid this place.:eek: Shame of shames. :o:oDo they do this in EVERY bar? The mind boggles.:(

Crazy, I know! I live in Northern Alberta so I'm sure this is part of the problem. This is a picture I took at Moxie's Classic Grill where they have a margarita on their menu that is made with vodka instead of tequila ::facepalm::

image.jpg.f0019d86fe0577440ad2cbdf783758cb.jpg

Don't know about the cruise but I can't understand you not getting a good margarita in Canada. I've had them in Halifax, Moncton, Montreal, Ottawa and Toronto.

Ask a few friends or co-workers. I'm sure they can direct you to a place that makes em just the way you like.

Alas, I think this is a small city problem for me. I've lived here for 15 years and while the selection has mildly improved they still aren't like the ones from "home"! :D

Frozen margaritas are my go-to choice of cocktail. So on Eclipse, I found they varied in quality. Best I had was at the Oceanview Bar. Worst was from the bar inside Oceanview Cafe. I'm not sure where he went wrong, but it was almost salty (I order them without salt on the rim).

In short, your results will vary from bar to bar and bartender to bartender. The one constant we've found on all three cruises is they tend to be heavy-handed with the booze!

Edited by HickoryShampoo

Yes, you can get a frozen 'Rita. They will generally ask if you want salt on the rim. Thay also make really good mango 'ritas.

The mango ones are the best! By weeks end, the bartender at the lawn club bar saw me coming and would start making one up, with an extra dollup of rum on top. Yum!!

There is also a version of marg in the molecular bar that is supposed to be great (forget the name - others can help out). I kept meaning to go back for it but kept getting stuck at the martini bar (a problem for tiny violins of there ever was one)! ;)

Have had great frozen margs on both Solstice and Eclipse - salt rimmed. We always have drink package so I ask for Patron. Makes for a much smoother marg, IMO.

Great tip. I was a newbie last time and did not know about the option to pick your liquor brand. Will do that next time! (Will have premium pckg)

Have had great frozen margs on both Solstice and Eclipse - salt rimmed. We always have drink package so I ask for Patron. Makes for a much smoother marg, IMO.

Ah, good to know!

Thanks for the excellent insider information on the margs everyone! I'm very excited.

You can get a Molecular style Margarita at the Molecular bar. Any juice they used is freshly made that day.

The bartenders will make the drink anyway you request it to be made for a price.

Sorry, I wasn't thinking about the Molecular Bar when I answered because I didn't realize they made frozen drinks there.

Since, I am the acoholic and culinary equivalent of Father Flanagon you may wish to ignore my advice which is to keep a Chi-Chi's pre-mixed bottle of margaritas in the fridge; and, pour into a frozen salt rimmed glass over crushed ice, and then add a wee bit of tequila, and maybe some strawberries or bits of pineapple.

Since, I am the acoholic and culinary equivalent of Father Flanagon you may wish to ignore my advice which is to keep a Chi-Chi's pre-mixed bottle of margaritas in the fridge; and, pour into a frozen salt rimmed glass over crushed ice, and then add a wee bit of tequila, and maybe some strawberries or bits of pineapple.

HA!

We don't have that brand here but I do enjoy Costco's ready-to-serve golden margarita mix, it gets me through the rough times! It's good with some red grapefruit thrown in too :)

Hello fellow Margarita fan! I have one every night at cocktail hour onboard...but I am a purist--tequila (the pure agave kind, not blended), triple sec and lime juice, with salt! (of course!), shaken with ice and poured into glass..2 ice cubes to keep it cold. I don't do blended because that's where they insert sour mix (ooh!). I order it at the martini bar--I have the Premium alcohol package so it was included, and, after the first night, the bartenders knew me and how I liked it made so I never had to explain again!

46 days until the next one!

Ellen

Enjoy

HA!

We don't have that brand here but I do enjoy Costco's ready-to-serve golden margarita mix, it gets me through the rough times! It's good with some red grapefruit thrown in too :)

Yes, that is also very good, but I prefer the bottle shape of the Chi-Chi's. As a matter of fact they are usually the same price 9.99, per bottle.

Edited by jackdiamond

Hello fellow Margarita fan! I have one every night at cocktail hour onboard...but I am a purist--tequila (the pure agave kind, not blended), triple sec and lime juice, with salt! (of course!), shaken with ice and poured into glass..2 ice cubes to keep it cold.

Proper. Like.

Where I live they put sugar on the rim - blasphemy! :eek:

I would consider sugar on the rim of a refreshing ice cold marg to be NIRVANA!

Especially if it was a strawberry-mango marg! :D Don't like standard margs at ALL.

But then again I prefer chocolate or Kahlua in my martinis instead of olives. ;) :o :rolleyes:

Edited by teecee60