Noro outbreak on Caribbean princess

Jeffry

Did they actually announce cases, or just precautions? Even with the cleaning, they may choose to keep code red active for a while as a precaution.

This is probably the case... noro takes a couple of days to incubate...

In the announcement the captain said they have reported cases to the medical centre. Did not say how many. He did advise passengers to take extra care and make sure to wash your hands.

My guess is either people have brought it aboard or some of the crew are still sick. Also maybe the ship was not cleaned as well as it should have.

Ill post more if I hear any thing else.

Went to bingo this morning small turn out had fun didn't win anything, maybe next time. Off to the art auction soon to see if anyone bids on something. It's always fun to watch.

Have a good day everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

In the announcement the captain said they have reported cases to the medical centre. Did not say how many. He did advise passengers to take extra care and make sure to wash your hands.

My guess is either people have brought it aboard or some of the crew are still sick. Also maybe the ship was not cleaned as well as it should have.

Ill post more if I hear any thing else.

Please keep us informed.

It is too soon for new passengers who were not already infected to show symptoms of noro.

So those reporting with the symptoms are either new passengers who were infected before boarding or B2B passengers who caught it on the last cruise.

Noro is the 2nd most prevalent illness in the USA with (per the CDC) about 20 million cases a year. Only the common cold has more cases. With the number of outbreaks of noro on land recently, it would unusual if no new passengers on any cruise ship came on board with the illness.

Please keep us informed.

It is too soon for new passengers who were not already infected to show symptoms of noro.

So those reporting with the symptoms are either new passengers who were infected before boarding or B2B passengers who caught it on the last cruise.

Noro is the 2nd most prevalent illness in the USA with (per the CDC) about 20 million cases a year. Only the common cold has more cases. With the number of outbreaks of noro on land recently, it would unusual if no new passengers on any cruise ship came on board with the illness.

The incubation period is 24-48 hours. So anyone who caught it upon boarding would start showing symptoms now.

It could be in the terminal where they process embarkation. I wonder if they tossed out all the ink pens that people use to sign forms upon check in?

Everyone is quick to place blame, but noro is everywhere. It's at the airport in the terminals, on the plane you travel on, on your luggage, in the terminal at the ports and it doesn't rear its ugly head until about 48 hours after contact.

You may board never knowing you are a carrier of the illness.

The cruise industry does a thorough cleaning of the ships when contaminated. Do they clean the terminals at the port? From my experience, airplanes do not receive a good cleaning( one to fight noro) before each turn around or flight. Are the airport terminals cleaned for noro? The ships are fighting a losing battle.

So far, the worst this season was on a ship that came out of the Bayonne terminal. The port of Houston also has noro reports from its ships. Haven't heard of any serious problems out of Lauderdale yet.

With the numbers of passengers embarking and disembarking at terminals, they should be required to give the terminals an extensive cleaning also.

The incidence of Noro peaks each year from mid-December through March.

Expect it to be pretty much present until outside of that window.

On average 20 million people in the US get it. Figure half get it during the winter peak periods. Since the US has a population a little over 300 million 6.7% of the population will get it on average each year. Approximately 3.3% will contract it during the peak window. So to put it in perspective if those cases were evenly spread out over the 100 day window and figuring 24 hours to incubate, 24 hours of illness, and a contagious period of an additional 48 hours you end up with 400,000 in the US getting sick, sick, or recovering (but still capable of infecting others) on any given day If the incidence was evenly distributed throughout the US population then on a 3000 passenger ship you would have atleast 4 infected passengers coming on board each cruise. Probably the number would be higher since of travel involved in getting to the cruise ship.

Cruise lines actually do pretty well.

Could be both. But with 3000 passengers coming though the mass transit system versus 1000 or so crew on board who have specific procedures they need to follow (and many who do not interact with passengers) the simple law of averages means that more cases will be brought onboard by pax than carried by crew.

The flip side to that is an infected but non-symptomatic crew member has the potential to affect more passengers than other pax do, depending on their job. A crew member positively diagnosed with noro is quarantined for up to one week.

How could you possibly know for sure that it is the passengers bringing it on board? The crew (kitchen and wait staff) could also be carrying Noro.

It's probably the new passengers - we are exposed to noro almost everywhere people are. The same with my daycare. I was on the CB last week. I bet my husband that Monday (today) at least ONE child would come with some sort of illness today (colds, etc.). In comes TWO with runny noses they picked up SOMEWHERE OTHER THAN HERE so they can't always blame daycare for their child's illness. Same is true for cruiseships. WASH YOUR HANDS PEOPLE! Don't touch everything. Don't touch ANYTHING you don't have to and if you need to sign for things, bring your OWN pen.

I agree. I bet it's the crew that were the first cases on this most recent outbreak.

Why? Someones child could have come home from school, hugged his parents bon voyage as they left for a couples getaway and sent them on their merry way with the virus. Schools are in the midst of a noro outbreak.

Stop the blame game. If you are human, you can carry the virus no matter what your job is. :rolleyes:

I really think cruise lines policies need to change in order to help reduce outbreaks and eventually they may figure this out as the bad press is costing them millions.

Currently, if a passenger is about to board and completes the health questionare honestly, stating they are having flu-like symptoms, they are denied boarding AND lose all of their money to boot.

This penality makes the health questionare completely ineffective and a waste of time.

If a passenger makes it all the way to the terminal for embarkation and honestly admits they are ill, their fare should be credited towards a future cruise.

If the strain is the same there is a level of resistance. If a different strain gets introduced, it depends on the variance.

If someone gets Noro, does that person develop an immunity to that virus for awhile?

Or can that same person get Noro again if exposed?