Recent Drownings on Ships

med9114u

The grandma went to the hospital with the child. We don't even know if the parents were on the ship.

We don't even know if they weren't at the pool with the kids.

Is this what you all do at funerals? Gossip and decide who killed the deceased? Y'all are awful.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Foolish post. If a child drowns it is because someone who should have been watching wasn't. No one says it is fun to rub salt in people's wounds, but the fact is that the only way people will assume the responsibility that they should is if they think about that responsibility.

If this site makes just one parent more aware of his responsibilities and possibly makes that parent sufficiently aware to possibly save a child's life : great.

Or do you think it better to not talk about possible dangers?

Foolish post.

I think that the parents or grandparents could be members on this board. I am sure they feel awful. And to see all of their fellow cruise critic members talk about them and how they should have been watching etc is not ok. We all know what they should have been doing. Do you really think they don't? Can you imagine the guilt you would feel even without reading the world's comments?

A terrible accident happened for whatever reason. It isn't up to us to decide how it and happened and what should have happened. All I see on many threads is what awful parents they must be. No one knows the story. No one needs to judge right now.

As previously noted, hotels are swim at your own risk. Many years ago we saw a girl almost drown at our hotel when we were on vacation. There was a large family reunion group staying there when we were. The pool was full with this family probably 40 to 50 people. It just so happened (very fortunately) the uncle of the girl decided to swim underwater and found her on the bottom of the pool.

They were able to revive her, but the poor girl would have been humiliated if she had been aware that the ENTs had to remove her swim top. She was only about 12 or 13 but that most sensitive age.

I also remember my mom's workmate's child drowned at home in their backyard pool. the child was around 3 or 4 and knew how to swim. It happened on a Sat. morning and the parents were sleeping in but the kids had got up to watch cartoons. the older child (around 10) realized she could not find her and got the parents up who found her face down floating in the pool.

In both these cases yes, the families could have been watching out better, ( in the hotel pool perhaps not so many should have been in he pool?) but once a tragedy happens, you can't help but feel heartbroken for them. I am sure the parents beat themselves up black and blue with regrets and misery. So I will not throw any blame at them, I just hope others learn from their tragedy and not make the same mistakes.

I do agree though that as it is posted,no lifeguards on duty, that the families should not sue. Perhaps the cruiselines should post signs saying no children under 10 allowed in adult pool.

If you don't know the difference between being at a funeral and being on a message board, I feel bad for you.

Standards are different between these two places.

Please be careful getting down off of your house. It's a long way from up high there.

You are on a public forum. You should have the same respectful standards in public-whether it be a funeral, grocery store, or forum where people see what you write.

I think that the parents or grandparents could be members on this board. I am sure they feel awful. And to see all of their fellow cruise critic members talk about them and how they should have been watching etc is not ok. We all know what they should have been doing. Do you really think they don't? Can you imagine the guilt you would feel even without reading the world's comments?

A terrible accident happened for whatever reason. It isn't up to us to decide how it and happened and what should have happened. All I see on many threads is what awful parents they must be. No one knows the story. No one needs to judge right now.

I agree see my above post.

You are on a public forum. You should have the same respectful standards in public-whether it be a funeral, grocery store, or forum where people see what you write.

Did you lose a child in a tragedy? I feel you must have as you are too prickly about this. People are looking at this in an abstract way you know, and I really sincerely believe that the parents/grandparents are not here. why? Because I know if this happened to my child/grandchild I could never enjoy taking a cruise again. Just like my mom's workmate who child drowned, had her backyard pool filled in. and after that she even sold the house and moved elsewhere.

After all, we live in an awful world where horrible things happen to children,animals, people everyday. We have to look at these things abstractly if we do not know the people. otherwise we would go crazy with worry.

People are just concerned as too many people in this world are sue happy. All these lawsuits eventually run up the cruise prices so we, the consumer are the ones that pay in the end.

Did you lose a child in a tragedy? I feel you must have as you are too prickly about this. People are looking at this in an abstract way you know, and I really sincerely believe that the parents/grandparents are not here. why? Because I know if this happened to my child/grandchild I could never enjoy taking a cruise again. Just like my mom's workmate who child drowned, had her backyard pool filled in. and after that she even sold the house and moved elsewhere.

After all, we live in an awful world where horrible things happen to children,animals, people everyday. We have to look at these things abstractly if we do not know the people. otherwise we would go crazy with worry.

People are just concerned as too many people in this world are sue happy. All these lawsuits eventually run up the cruise prices so we, the consumer are the ones that pay in the end.

I did not. But I know people who have. I am in no way saying anyone has the right to sue. I just think we need to wait to find out the facts as to what happened. IF the parents did indeed let the kids swim without supervision I will be the first to come back and say you were right in what you did. But I cannot say that without knowing what happened.

I hope everyone on CC will read this article (link above) about what drowning REALLY looks like! And how to recognize & prevent a tragedy.

At our community home owners large pool we always have 2, if not 3 or 4 (depending on number of people/holiday) life guards. The pool management comp. also has posted pictures showing how a possible drowning event looks like.

We all need to be better educated about water safety.

We all know that we MUST attend Muster Drill shortly after boarding a ship. (Yes, I know some thoughtless folk skip/try to skip.)

I wonder if the cruise lines would ever have the courage to require (or the Coast Guard could mandate it) a Parent/Guardian Orientation meeting for all adults traveling w/children under age 12 & the kids (ages 5-12).

Of course, the cruise lines would have to get braver/stronger about enforcing their own rules & the cruising public would have to get better & more thoughtful about following the rules. (Fat chance?)

It is ALWAYS the supervising adults responsibility to watch the child. It is clearly posted that there are no lifeguards on duty. I think because of the small size of the ships pools and the number of people in them we tend to have a false sense of security. My DH and I have "helped" children on just about every cruise we have been on, we even had one little fella say to my DH "you won't let me drown will you." I am a daycare provider so we are kid magnets!

This drowning incident just breaks my heart because you know the family is devastated these accidents happen in the blink of an eye. I do not know the details of this incident but you can do everything right and it still turn tragic.

This post is so touching, my family has beloved day cares in our hearts with 3 working moms..and now some grandkids facing this dilemna...none of us want to be but we are our brothers keeper to a degree in my humble opinion....we are citizens in a vacation town on a ship..

We are in an adult and child and family "play camp" to a degree especially by the pool or yes..even in a cabin if you see a kid unsupervised on balcony next door that is active. I remember reading good posts here about handling that.

Someone told me once in urban Russia it used to be very safe in many public parks to turn your eye..that there was a far more general sense of social responsibilty to all children and all folks are always watching making the bad % less able to be a problem. That is a case of smaller urban living quarters sharing smaller open spaces..just food for thought...sarah

Edited by sjn911

Yes parents need to take personal responsible for their children. But how many people see little kids in the adult pool and complain among themselves without brining it to the attention of a pool attendant.

I wonder if just one person took time to be a "snitch" and alerted a pool attendant that there were two small children in the adult pool if this tragedy would have been averted. I guess in this case I am comparing this to the TV show "what would you do?"

Edited by lady_cruiser

I hope everyone on CC will read this article (link above) about what drowning REALLY looks like! And how to recognize & prevent a tragedy.

At our community home owners large pool we always have 2, if not 3 or 4 (depending on number of people/holiday) life guards. The pool management comp. also has posted pictures showing how a possible drowning event looks like.

We all need to be better educated about water safety.

Well said. An ounce of prevention equals a pound of cure.

Similar to my experience with a kid around age 7 on Carnival Inspiration on deck 10 trying to climb the railing to the open atruim. I screamed, the parents grabbed the kid, (thank goodness) and then gave me a dirty look. This was over well 10 years ago so that kid would be late teens by now, if he is still alive-that is.

I'm hoping that dirty look was the parent's fear about what their child had just done.

I did not. But I know people who have. I am in no way saying anyone has the right to sue. I just think we need to wait to find out the facts as to what happened. IF the parents did indeed let the kids swim without supervision I will be the first to come back and say you were right in what you did. But I cannot say that without knowing what happened.

I agree about not placing blame on the parents without the facts. And while some have, not all of us did. Some were not even talking about yesterday's incident specifically. The OP was not about one specific incident.

I did think calling everyone awful for participating in the thread was a bit over the line.

I wasn't calling everyone awful for participating. I was calling those who continually judge other parents for their actions without knowing what the facts are. Someone died and many (in many many threads) instantly start bashing parents about what happened. That is why I said what I said.

I don't see anyone disagreeing that the parents must be watching their kids in the pool (or anywhere) 100% of the time. not kind of watching, looking up from reading, etc.

I have also seen grandparents with small kids who could hardy manage to get themselves around the ship. if you are letting grandma take the your kids on a cruise or anywhere be sure they are up to the task.

as for what happened with these kids it's sad but no need to beat up on whomever should have been watching I'm sure they have beat themselves up.

I agree, personal responsibility. So much today people are so willing to blame someone else. Maybe if they did what they should be doing (being a parent-not a friend, teaching the kids right from wrong, etc), it would be a much better place to be. Accidents will always happen and am sorry that people get hurt. But please, take responsibility for what you do.

OK, off my "soapbox". :)

True

Edited by charfan9

I had to save my (then five-year-old) niece from drowning two summers ago. There were five adults sitting ten feet away from her, her dad, his parents, his brother and sister-in-law, and not one of them was paying a bit of attention to my niece. Luckily I happened to be standing there when she started struggling, but it would have been easy to assume she was just playing until it was too late.

Good for you.

The thing is, as others have stated, kids don't always struggle and make noise when they are drowning. Often they just sink down with no fuss at all. (Former life-guard here.)

Way too many parents are ignorant of easily someone can drown. We live at a lake with up to 7 grandkids and their friends here, at times. All of our grandchildren, their parents, and us (grandparents ) are excellent swimmers, but you'd better believe we are super vigilant.

Not every drowning can be prevented and accidents do happen, but the carelessness of some parents is astounding. Your eyes need to be on your child at all times and I know well how easy it is to get distracted for a few seconds or minutes.

really?:confused:

Yes! Kids, especially young ones, often don't scream, yell, kick, flounder around. They just sink quietly into the water. I have seen it happen, though luckily I was able to grab the child before she was gone.

Edited by Nebr.cruiser

Yes! Kids, especially young ones, often don't scream, yell, kick, flounder around. They just sink quietly into the water. I have seen it happen, though luckily I was able to grab the child before she was gone.

Last year I took the four grand kids to Canada for a week. They were playing in my uncle's hot tub with his two grand kids. There were 5 adults sitting next to them watching. I was sitting on the platform edge beside them. We look over at the 2 YO and she has moved closer to the other corner - about 2 feet from my aunt. All of a sudden we notice her slipping under the water. She was tired and ready for her nap and fell asleep. She just slid down. Scary. Pulled her out and she slept on grandpa's stomach. It's not always that parents aren't watching and paying attention - sometimes things just happen.

I wasn't calling everyone awful for participating. I was calling those who continually judge other parents for their actions without knowing what the facts are. Someone died and many (in many many threads) instantly start bashing parents about what happened. That is why I said what I said.

Why are you so worked up about what people are saying about poor parenting? Are you feeling picked on because we are criticizing YOUR parenting style?

Seems odd that you would rather defend people you don't know, who you will never have a discussion with, or will never meet, instead of your fellow CruiseCritic members who are all here because of a shared interest in cruising.

I guess there will always be people who have this uncontrolled need to lecture everyone else about how to behave.

Edited by sloopsailor

Is this what you all do at funerals? Gossip and decide who killed the deceased? Y'all are awful.

At a funeral, I will show my respect in the proper manner. On a PUBLIC DISCUSSION FORUM intended as a vehicle to discuss cruise related topics, I won't sit in meek obedience and only say nice things about the topic at hand. What good is discussing something if we can only talk about the good, and not about the bad, of a subject.

You need to learn the differences between a funeral and a discussion group, and not lecture us that we should sit quietly at our keyboards and be "respectful" so you won't be offended. People have a right to voice their opinions on these forums. If you aren't comfortable with these discussions, start your own forum where you will be able to set your own rules.

Edited by fortinweb