Recent Drownings on Ships

med9114u

I think that the parents or grandparents could be members on this board. I am sure they feel awful. And to see all of their fellow cruise critic members talk about them and how they should have been watching etc is not ok. We all know what they should have been doing. Do you really think they don't? Can you imagine the guilt you would feel even without reading the world's comments?

A terrible accident happened for whatever reason. It isn't up to us to decide how it and happened and what should have happened. All I see on many threads is what awful parents they must be. No one knows the story. No one needs to judge right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I agree.

As a career teacher, who also was a lifeguard at a summer camp, I feel strongly that a combination of personal parental responsibility and lifeguard programs are important around any swimming area with children.

Lifeguard programs can HELP prevent accidents. As a frequent cruiser, I think it makes sense to have two lifeguards at every large pool-wearing orange-to oversee the swimmers and enforce pool rules. (Too often, now, the pool rules are not followed, putting many people at risk.)

One of the pool rules should be that all children must be accompanied by an adult at any pool and that the pool rules should be observed by all and reinforced lifeguards and parents.

As camp lifeguards, we carried long poles, had rescue equipment near us, and did not allow young children in the deeper areas. Granted, anything can happen quickly, but when we are pro-active- some accidents can be prevented.

We took our 9 yr old granddaughter on a cruise last summer. I sat by the pool watching her every time she went. There were lots of kids swimming without anyone watching. Some parents came by about every 30 minutes to check on their kids. As grandparents, we are especially vigilant. When we were younger and traveling, we'd let our own kids run down to the pool on their own at a motel. Now I wonder why I did that. Thank goodness nothing happened.

Regardless of whether it was parents, grandparents, fairy godmothers or whoever - two young children suffered as a result of inattention on the part of someone who should have being paying attention.

Pointing this out is not intended to make the irresponsible person feel more guilty than they already do -- it is intended to make readers of these posts aware or the importance of responsibility. Not discussing a tragedy like this risks greater likelihood of its repetition. It is difficult to understand your antipathy to the concept of emphasizing the importance of vigilance in caring for young children.

I agree.

I found this article though. And, I wonder where the CC members posted that they knew the grandma was off smoking. The parents WERE NOT on board according to multiple articles. Which makes sense. Because I could not imagine a mother and grandmother being on board and then having only the grandmother go with the child to the hospital.

http://www.bubblews.com/news/2245456-child-drowns-on-norwegian-breakaway-cruise-ship

Since the cost of adding lifeguards would be pretty minimal when spread out over 3000 passengers - I wonder if having life guards would actually increase the liability of the cruise line in case of such a tragedy as this?

maybe someone can weigh in on this? or are cruise lines sue-proof in a situation such as this (not advocating a lawsuit by any means) because of their international registry?

I know I would not mind paying a few dollars per cruise to have lifeguards enforcing safety rules.

Twice I have pulled little kids from a pool. My boys were swim team club memberss and twice when I was a stroke judge little kids have fallen in near me.

Important to note that neither time did the child cry out...watch the video on how to recognize drowning..it is NOT at all like what most think.

Also important to note that both times the parent criticized the child and scowled at me. No thanks.... nothing. (embarrassed maybe?)

Once on a cruise a child about 4 was screaming for her mom and I looked for her parents and finally took her to an officer. She did not know her last name and the officer immediately called in reinforcements. As we walked, the little girl found her mother and I explained that she must have exited the pool from the opposite side and lost track of where her family was sitting at a table. The mom started berating the little girl. I left after I quietly told the mom that it was her job to keep track of the child. I got a big send off with a bad word.

Very, very sad for the family and those who are aware on the cruise!!

No good deed goes unpunished!

Although my 8 year old is an amazing swimmer, I have just ordered a life vest for her and I am bringing it with us on every vacation. Hopefully other parents will invest a few bucks to ensure the safety of their kids as well???

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I think a life guard would add a false sense of security. I think a better option would be for all staff to be CPR certified this may already be in place but if not it is an option. Life guards are better trained in picking up on signs of distress but it would be a very daunting task and HUGE responsibility for one person giving the amount of people and distractions. I believe the passengers would be served to watch out for the family members we are responsible for. Carnival could add a PSA about water safety to their website and add it to the programming on ships TV.

It would be a huge surprise to me if lifeguards ever became a fixture on a ship. Who knows, though, they might do so if part of the cruise contract states they are not liable, under any circumstances for drownings. Once they add a lifeguard, they are then responsible. Can you imagine the hoards of pax lining up to sue because someone swallowed some water? " the lifeguard should have stopped it"

I know that sounds beyond cynical, and I'm so very sorry for what has happened, but IMO, lifeguards are unlikely to be added.

I really like the idea previously mentioned, of having parents and even children attend a special safety briefing tailored to their needs. Include swimming pool safety, climbing on rails, being unattended anywhere on the ship, etc. It's hard to believe any parent/guardian would think it's ok to have children at the pool without an adult watching every second. It's also hard to believe any parent would think it's a good idea to let their children roam the ship unattended. Just crazy. But apparently parents think these practices are ok. Maybe regular strong reminders are in order.

I really like the idea previously mentioned, of having parents and even children attend a special safety briefing tailored to their needs. Include swimming pool safety, climbing on rails, being unattended anywhere on the ship, etc. It's hard to believe any parent/guardian would think it's ok to have children at the pool without an adult watching every second. It's also hard to believe any parent would think it's a good idea to let their children roam the ship unattended. Just crazy. But apparently parents think these practices are ok. Maybe regular strong reminders are in order.

Personally adding it is just too easy to speculate given the chances and details we do know on this situation and what happened that there were some kids running around too much without caretaker close. I have an incredibly active almost 80 year old dad...he could have caught the 2 great grands almost as well as their folks. However I really agree with your statement. A talk would even help in these situations and a bold faced simple flyer in the daily activities perhaps.

I know that 2 of my siblings with at one time 2 little guys each have said, "at this point none of our sons are calm enough for a cruise ship"..just too precocious...good parents in rural ranch and riverfront situations where the kids in some ways learn dangers better constantly at their folks side still take more physical risks before ready..nature of the area..and yes..too tough fathers.

This is a needed great idea and some kids.....like their mothers have to sometimes decide......are simply not cruise ship material until older!:(

Edited by sjn911

Since the cost of adding lifeguards would be pretty minimal when spread out over 3000 passengers - I wonder if having life guards would actually increase the liability of the cruise line in case of such a tragedy as this?

maybe someone can weigh in on this? or are cruise lines sue-proof in a situation such as this (not advocating a lawsuit by any means) because of their international registry?

I know I would not mind paying a few dollars per cruise to have lifeguards enforcing safety rules.

While the cost of adding life guards might be minimal, the contingent cost from litigation might very well be far greater. When a pool is clearly marked "NO LIFE GUARD- SWIM AT OWN RISK", the operator of that pool is far safer in court than he would be if he provided a (probably false) sense of security which let inexperienced swimmers (and irresponsible parents) take risks.

This will never happen. There are too many variables. A parent with a 2 YO on a first cruise and a parent with a 5 YO on their 10th cruise. How can you tailor that? Do you really believe any parents that would allow their toddler to climb on rails or left unattended will suddenly become Parents of the Year because of an hour orientation meeting? What cut off for age? Teenagers? Young adults? I know I would resent being told that I MUST go to this meeting. I already know what to do and how to do it.

Your statements are too broad. It is virtually impossible to "watch every second" while the kid is in the pool. If you turn you head to talk to the person next to you, to pull the lounger closer to the pool, to spread your towel, you have not not watched "every second". You glanced away and that might be the nanosecond something happens.

Who are you, or the cruise line, to say if my child can roam the ship unattended and/or what age they can do so. That is my decision as a parent, not yours. If there are curfews in place they must be observed but otherwise, it's none of your business if I allow my child to do something. Are you telling me that a 15 YO shouldn't be allowed to be on their own. What restrictions would you put? They can walk over to get a hot dog but can't go into the buffet to get a drink.

My point is - no half hour meeting is going to make anyone a better parent. Common sense says not to leave them unattended in the pool or not to let them wander at too young an age or climb balconies. If you don't have common sense .... well then no reason to go to a meeting.