Recent Drownings on Ships

med9114u

I'm wondering (in this case) if the two children were on the ship with their grandparents. The reports say the 6 year old was accompanied for medical treatment by his grandmother. Either way, very tragic. My first thought was also "who was watching them?!?" It also said it happened in the morning. I guess we will never know the actual circumstances. I couldn't imagine having to face my children if I had been in charge of my grandchildren and had this happen. I'm sure they are devastated.

??!! I'm sure my cabin door locked from the inside. ??!! (To the poster who said they didn't & kids could get out unnoticed...)

Hotel pools do not have lifeguards.

I agree that parents hold ultimate responsibility. Read the signs. Pay attention. Use common sense. Accidents still happen, but be proactive.

I had to save my (then five-year-old) niece from drowning two summers ago. There were five adults sitting ten feet away from her, her dad, his parents, his brother and sister-in-law, and not one of them was paying a bit of attention to my niece. Luckily I happened to be standing there when she started struggling, but it would have been easy to assume she was just playing until it was too late.

The grandma went to the hospital with the child. We don't even know if the parents were on the ship.

We don't even know if they weren't at the pool with the kids.

Is this what you all do at funerals? Gossip and decide who killed the deceased? Y'all are awful.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The grandma went to the hospital with the child. We don't even know if the parents were on the ship.

Is this what you all do at funerals? Gossip and decide who killed the deceased? Y'all are awful.

Y'all? Maybe you should go back and read the thread again.

There are many of us here who aren't gossiping or even discussing one specific incident. The OP asked a question about safety and responsiblity in general. Its a valid discussion.

Edited by 1kaper

Disney added lifeguards only recently after a child drown on one of their ships.

That was just four months ago. It was September 2013 when Disney began having lifeguards at the family pool on all four ships. The remaining pools do not have lifeguards.

Only because a child was seriously disabled after almost drowning.

Get your facts straight. A four year old boy drowned last year on Fantasy just hours after boarding the ship on the first day. http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=5596

Edited by boogs

Because I have never cruised Disney. My youngest child is 33 years old.

Next question.

We were in our 50s before we cruised on a Disney ship - and we didn't have any kids with us. It isn't only for kids. Disney ships are for all ages.

That was just four months ago. It was September 2013 when Disney began having lifeguards at the family pool on all four ships. The remaining pools do not have lifeguards.

Get your facts straight. A four year old boy drowned last year on Fantasy just hours after boarding the ship on the first day. http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=5596

Maybe it is YOU that needs to get their facts straight. The four year old did not drown. He is still alive and very disabled. Even your article states NEARLY.

http://blog.lipcon.com/2013/06/4-year-old-boy-who-nearly-drowned-on-a-disney-cruise-ship-shows-improvement-but-should-disney-be-held-responsible.html

There is ONE person at fault-- THE PARENT.

if the parents dont want to watch the kids. then the kids shouldn't go in the pool. it is that simple.

Exactly.

My kid was 9 when we went on our last cruise. She was either in the kids club or with one of us the entire time.

We used the pool twice, and one of us were actually in the pool with her both times, even though she is a good swimmer.

I'm wondering (in this case) if the two children were on the ship with their grandparents. The reports say the 6 year old was accompanied for medical treatment by his grandmother. Either way, very tragic. My first thought was also "who was watching them?!?" It also said it happened in the morning. I guess we will never know the actual circumstances. I couldn't imagine having to face my children if I had been in charge of my grandchildren and had this happen. I'm sure they are devastated.

For those of us that didn't watch the CBS special - can you give us a clue about what so many of you are discussing?

400 people where on this ship?!? I've been on this ship. I just don't get it. IMO people shouldn't point fingers, even if you were right there. I can't see how this happened and it just breaks my heart! I've pulled kids out of a pool or 2 in my time and I just feel that as responsible adults, we should be more aware of what's going on. Vacation or not, if you see a child walking out onto a busy street, wouldn't you grab him/her?? My condolences to the parents for their loss is beyond words and to all that witnessed this. Life is precious and we only have each other.

I also think it is ultimately the parent's or grandparent's responsibility. We take a family vacation (3 generations) every year at Christmas to an all-inclusive resort somewhere warm. My brother has 2 children (9 & 4). Since both children were able to comprehend, it has been drilled into them that they cannot go into any pool alone. One of the adults has to be in the pool with them. Thankfully we have never had a problem. However, at every place we have been, I am amazed at how many children are in the pools with no adults. The adults sometimes don't even appear to be sitting in lounge chairs by the pool.

Granted we don't know the specifics of what happened, but there is no excuse for the parents not making sure that the kids knew not to go into the pool alone.

Maybe it is YOU that needs to get their facts straight. The four year old did not drown. He is still alive and very disabled. Even your article states NEARLY.

http://blog.lipcon.com/2013/06/4-year-old-boy-who-nearly-drowned-on-a-disney-cruise-ship-shows-improvement-but-should-disney-be-held-responsible.html

OOPS! My bad. It was on a Carnival ship that a child drowned, not Disney. Reading too fast and remembering too slow. It's an old age thing! That's my excuse, and I'm sticking to it. ;)

Edited by boogs

If you don't know the difference between being at a funeral and being on a message board, I feel bad for you.

Standards are different between these two places.

Please be careful getting down off of your house. It's a long way from up high there.

Edited by Nitemare

Twice I have pulled little kids from a pool. My boys were swim team club memberss and twice when I was a stroke judge little kids have fallen in near me.

Important to note that neither time did the child cry out...watch the video on how to recognize drowning..it is NOT at all like what most think.

Also important to note that both times the parent criticized the child and scowled at me. No thanks.... nothing. (embarrassed maybe?)

Once on a cruise a child about 4 was screaming for her mom and I looked for her parents and finally took her to an officer. She did not know her last name and the officer immediately called in reinforcements. As we walked, the little girl found her mother and I explained that she must have exited the pool from the opposite side and lost track of where her family was sitting at a table. The mom started berating the little girl. I left after I quietly told the mom that it was her job to keep track of the child. I got a big send off with a bad word.

Very, very sad for the family and those who are aware on the cruise!!

Similar to my experience with a kid around age 7 on Carnival Inspiration on deck 10 trying to climb the railing to the open atruim. I screamed, the parents grabbed the kid, (thank goodness) and then gave me a dirty look. This was over well 10 years ago so that kid would be late teens by now, if he is still alive-that is.

They meant a 4 year old drowned on Norwegian Breakaway.

Similar to my experience with a kid around age 7 on Carnival Inspiration on deck 10 trying to climb the railing to the open atruim. I screamed, the parents grabbed the kid, (thank goodness) and then gave me a dirty look. This was over well 10 years ago so that kid would be late teens by now, if he is still alive-that is.

It's sad that our world has changed so drastically & not for the better. When I was a kid, out neighborhood raised us, for example, if we were doing things we weren't supposed to, the adult would reprimand us, even smack us in the back of the head if warranted, then tell our parents and our parents appreciated the help!!!! In some circumstances the good neighbors actually saved us from ourselves. They believed that it takes a village to raise a child and I still do ! If my child is in danger or misbehaving, I actually THANK the adult who steps in!

My daughters been on cruises since she was about 2 and although she's a seasoned cruiser, she knows the rules! Fortunately I'm on top of her so I've never had another adult involved and she's pretty well behaved. I pray for the families of these 2 children. I couldn't imagine how devastated they are.

To me it doesn't matter if there are lifeguards or not the parents should be watching their younger kids all the time when they are around a pool. It doesn't matter where it is, on land or a cruise ship. If they want time to themselves on a cruise then they need to put them in kids clubs where they are supervised or leave them at home with someone who will watch them.

Totally agree with you 100%!!!!

LuLu

~~~~