Hotel Recommendations San Francisco

riverdees05

We are looking to take a cruise out of San Francisco, CA this summer and want to add a 3 night stay in the Union Square area. Any recommendations? We will need at least two double or queen beds for our family.:confused:

Any particular reason you want the Union Square area?

For a cruise tourist, my preference is the Fishermans Wharf area...

I've stayed a few times at the Hilton Financial District on Kearney St. as well--right next to Chinatown and a good location...

But, San Francisco has a vast number of hotels...all levels from dives to ultra-luxury...all budgets...

The questions would be what your budget is, what you are looking for in the way of nearby attractions, what sort of accommodations you want...

We had heard from some friends that it is a really nice area and close to

BART and cable cars routes. Plus things you can walk to and see. We are also looking at taking the Dylans Tours and they have one of their two pickups in that area. We are probably looking for something nice and in the $200-325 range.

Edited by riverdees05

We had heard from some friends that it is a really nice area and close to

BART and cable cars routes. Plus things you can walk to and see. We are also looking at taking the Dylans Tours and they have one of their two pickups in that area. We are probably looking for something nice and in the $200-325 range.

There are a lot of folks who might differ as to whether Union Square is a "nice area"...The Tenderloin District--which borders Union Square--is known for being rather seedy and with a high incidence of crime...

That said, Union Square does center San Francisco's Theater District and there is a good amount of shopping in the area...If you are there for the theater, a location right on Union Square is pretty good...

The Cable Car does run throughout a great deal of The City...with a terminus at Union Square (another is at Fishermans Wharf). BART isn't really a means to get around The City...more of a means of getting into or out of The City...It really only skirts The City along Market Street in the Financial District, but is really designed to carry passengers into The City from the East Bay and from further down the penninsula (including SFO). If you intend to use it to get there from the airport, then being near a BART station may be important...or if, perhaps, you want to visit Berkeley...BART doesn't go around The City or north into Marin...

My preference of Fishermans Wharf is based on its proximity to the cruise pier, the Alcatraz and Harbor boat tours, the Italian restaurants of North Beach, the abundance of restaurants and the touristy walking areas of the Wharf area itself...I find it a bit more pleasant than the hectic Union Square area. Of course, that is all just my personal opinion and reasonable minds can differ...

Union Sq is a very convenient area to stay. As Steve said there are some iffy places as the Sq is next to the 'Tenderloin' - lots of homeless. The public transit system is very good - the hotels near Fisherman's Wharf will be as accessible to transportation as Union Sq. Tripadvisor is a great source of info - where to stay and what to see. The city is small in area - lots of taxis and great public transit. There are a lot of nice hotels in the financial district. So many choices such limited time .....

We are looking to take a cruise out of San Francisco, CA this summer and want to add a 3 night stay in the Union Square area. Any recommendations? We will need at least two double or queen beds for our family.:confused:

While it isn't IN Union Square (it's above it) I like the Fairmont (and the Tonga room + the Top of the Mark is a walk across the street for a great view weather permitting). Nearby there's also the Mark Hopkins and the Ritz Carlton.

• 1 month later...

I've check some prices of hotels in Fisherman's Wharf when we plan to sail early October & the prices are astronomical. Are there more moderately priced hotels in the surrounding areas not too far from the cruise port?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've check some prices of hotels in Fisherman's Wharf when we plan to sail early October & the prices are astronomical. Are there more moderately priced hotels in the surrounding areas not too far from the cruise port?

Dingy,

I answered on your other thread as well...

But to recap for anyone reading only here:

HMS Dingy is cruising October 1...and there appears to be a major Oracle event in town that week that is definitely affecting hotel prices and availability...on top of that it's also just a popular time to visit The City...

The suggestion I mafde there, if you are on a serious budget and don't need a four or five star hotel, is to check out the Marina District...along Lombard Street, there are a number of smaller hotels--including a lot of chain motels--Days Inn, Super 8, TravLodge, HoJos...I'm accustomed to staying in four and five stars, so none of these look great to me (I've not stayed in any of them)...But, the neighborhood is nioce and convenient...It is not too far from the cruise pier...and an easy bus or taxi ride to Fishermans Wharf and other attractions...and lots of good restaurants nearby along Chestnut...And, it will keep you within any budget...just not a lot of luxury...

I appreciate your feedback. It's not just a question of budget but paying close to $1000 for a two day stay doesn't make any sense to me. Especially what amounts to a stopover pre & post cruise. On our Med cruise we stayed at this funky hotel in Barcelona with plastic furniture, European style lunch & breakfast buffets & free beer! We paid a reasonable rate & had a hoot. We were on the third floor with our own balcony overlooking a happening boulevard; Las Ramblas with a great nightlife. A clean bed is what interests me. The bells & whistles I'll get on my cruise. I found what looks like a decent place moderately priced on Lombard. It even has great reviews on Tripadvisor.

I appreciate your feedback. It's not just a question of budget but paying close to $1000 for a two day stay doesn't make any sense to me. Especially what amounts to a stopover pre & post cruise. On our Med cruise we stayed at this funky hotel in Barcelona with plastic furniture, European style lunch & breakfast buffets & free beer! We paid a reasonable rate & had a hoot. We were on the third floor with our own balcony overlooking a happening boulevard; Las Ramblas with a great nightlife. A clean bed is what interests me. The bells & whistles I'll get on my cruise. I found what looks like a decent place moderately priced on Lombard. It even has great reviews on Tripadvisor.

I found some brand name hotels for about $200 per with taxes. Some even included breakfast.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Forums mobile app

Edited by Kamloops50

There may be a gem in the rough on Lombard. But, personally, I'd pass.

Have you looked at the Hotel Nikko and Vintage Court hotels near Union Square? Also, check my other post about SF hotels, in an adjacent thread, for good pricing.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

On our Med cruise we stayed at this funky hotel in Barcelona with plastic furniture, European style lunch & breakfast buffets & free beer! We paid a reasonable rate & had a hoot. We were on the third floor with our own balcony overlooking a happening boulevard; Las Ramblas with a great nightlife.

Ahhhhhhh... The Hotel Continental!!! Great little hotel...Great location...

The Marina District, BTW, is a lot safer neighborhood than Union Square...

The #30 bus runs along Chestnut, then cuts over at Van Ness to Fisherman's Wharf, then goes up Columbus to North Beach and Chinatown... Of course, taxis are fairly easy...

My daughter lives in the Marina...at Scott and Chestnut...so I visit the area often...it's quite nice. Lombard Street is not particularly attractive because, through that section at least, it is a main thoroughfare...(of course, there's that famous section of Lombard further east where the street snakes back and forth down the hill)... The hotels along Lombard are generally older and smaller and don't have the 5-star amenities...(they also don't come with the 5-star price tag). But, from Lombard, it's a quick short block to Chestnut--with a lot of nice shopping and bars and restaurants. It is a very trendy part of town quite popular with the younger set