Royal Caribbean needs this app!

http://www.seatrade-insider.com/news/news-headlines/costa-app-lets-users-talk-text-within-the-ship-at-no-charge.html

Costa Cruises has announced the launch of “MyCosta Mobile”, a new application for smartphones and tablets that is designed to allow Costa guests to call and text onboard at no cost.

“MyCosta Mobile” is free of charge and user friendly.

Before the start of your cruise, simply download the free application from the App Store or Google Play Store. Once on board, all you need to do is connect to the ship’s WiFi network, register and launch the app, at no cost whatsoever. Once you have registered, “MyCosta Mobile” is ready for use, again free of charge: you can socialize with other cruise guests and get in touch by phoning or texting whenever you like, and you can also use the App to contact a cabin or any of the numerous shipboard amenities such as the restaurants, Spa, tour office and much more besides.

“MyCosta Mobile” is available for iOS 5.0 operating system and upper versions for iPhones and iPads, as well as for smartphones and tablets that run on Android 2.3 and later mobile operating systems. The App comes in 6 different languages: Italian, English, French, German, Spanish and Portuguese

That is the one thing on a cruise ship that is hard to do is keeping in touch with others you are travelling with, especially if you travel with a group. Either you call them in your room or you run into them somewhere on the ship, this app would work great.

I wonder if you need to buy the Wi-Fi package to use it?

Keith

Well it says "call and text onboard at no cost" so I would guess that means no cost. It'd be pretty deceptive if you had to pay for wifi.

I think it would be neat for RCCL to get this, but if they do I'll probably "forget" my phone in the cabin sometimes as I occasionally like to sneak off with a book. Lots of good places to hide.

Edited by DrD

That is the one thing I like about a cruise ship is everybody is enjoying the ship and the weather, not everybody talking and texting on their phones, isn't that why we vacation is to get away from phone calls and texts, but yet it is still nice to be able to communicate with others on the ship a little easier.

Keith

That is the one thing I like about a cruise ship is everybody is enjoying the ship and the weather, not everybody talking and texting on their phones, isn't that why we vacation is to get away from phone calls and texts, but yet it is still nice to be able to communicate with others on the ship a little easier.

Keith

and how about those folks (mostly seniors) that have no idea how to text, don't know what an app. is :confused: . and do not have a so called smart phone. :confused::confused:

Edited by phish tales

This is a simple SIP client (VoIP service) and yes you would have to log in to the WiFi so I would think there would be a cost.

While it's most certainly a SIP-enabled app, it would cost the cruise line nothing to permit ad-hoc calling and texting on the ship. I would think the only time you'd have to pay for wifi is when you want to use the Internet. Neat idea, though.

and how about those folks (mostly seniors) that have no idea how to text, don't know what an app. is :confused: . and do not have a so called smart phone. :confused::confused:

Our kids actually got both of their grandparents, ages from 74-83 to start texting and got them Facebook pages so they could keep up with their grandkids and what is happening in their lives, never thought they could do it!

I guess it is up to each person how "connected" they want to be, but usually once you get used to it, it is hard to be without it, especially the younger ones.

Keith

I am leaving my cell phone in my suitcase for use only to call to get a ride home after my cruise. I am going on V-A-C-A-T-I-O-N!!
if I had a face book page I guess I would LIKE cruising is my 7 day disconnect lol Edited by help04me

Well if you can type (and obviously you can) you can text. Just make sure you get a phone with a real keyboard.

You can also use an ipad to "text" to others with iphones or ipads (but not non-apple products). Advantage is a nice big keyboard on ipad compared to phone.

Likely the app (program) we're talking about would work just as well on an ipad.

Really texting is no different from e-mail, except it goes through right away, and gets sent to number rather than e-mail address.

There will likely always be technically challenged people, but there are fewer and fewer of them all the time. The baby boomer generation grew up with technology so most of us are comfortable with it (perhaps too much). That said, anyone who doesn't want to learn it still doesn't have to. Their experience wouldn't be any different than it is today.

I love this idea. It would be great to text messages using iPhones. I don't think allowing voice would be that smart because there's always some person who thinks they need to yell into the phone and we'd have to listen to that all over the ship. Texting is pretty quiet although it does come with some hazzards as well... like people trying to text and walk or text and drive on those little scooters :)

Tom

Well if you can type (and obviously you can) you can text. Just make sure you get a phone with a real keyboard.

You can also use an ipad to "text" to others with iphones or ipads (but not non-apple products). Advantage is a nice big keyboard on ipad compared to phone.

Likely the app (program) we're talking about would work just as well on an ipad.

Really texting is no different from e-mail, except it goes through right away, and gets sent to number rather than e-mail address.

Yep, works on an iPad, or one of the many excellent Android tablets for us non-Apple folks. :)

"Costa Cruises has announced the launch of “MyCosta Mobile”, a new application for smartphones and tablets that is designed to allow Costa guests to call and text onboard at no cost."

I love this idea! We often cruise with groups, friends, family, and always rent ship phones or try to leave notes. To be able to text and find out where someone is or what time to meet is awesome! Seriously I don't see a downside to this. People aren't going to be on their phones 24/7 as it would only work with other people on the ship that have the app.

Can't wait to see the PR and CS nightmare this creates. Do I have to turn the phone off airplane? What if I accidentally buttdial someone? I got 19 text msgs last night...I didn't want that on. What if my phone starts updating apps and goes through a gig of data?

Have fun with that. If they can fix all that, then heck yes. This app would be awesome. But unless they assure me that it's the only thing my phone will be running I'd never use it.

Can't wait to see the PR and CS nightmare this creates. Do I have to turn the phone off airplane? What if I accidentally buttdial someone? I got 19 text msgs last night...I didn't want that on. What if my phone starts updating apps and goes through a gig of data?

Have fun with that. If they can fix all that, then heck yes. This app would be awesome. But unless they assure me that it's the only thing my phone will be running I'd never use it.

I thought most phones you can turn Wifi on even when "airplane" mode is set.

I like the idea of being able to communicate with other members of your travelling party easily, but I don't like the idea of having to carry my phone around.

Yes, I do think most cruise lines will have this feature in the future. We installed a VoIP system at work a year or so ago. I was thinking how well it would work on a cruise ship with cell phones.

I thought most phones you can turn Wifi on even when "airplane" mode is set.

I like the idea of being able to communicate with other members of your travelling party easily, but I don't like the idea of having to carry my phone around.

Yes, I do think most cruise lines will have this feature in the future. We installed a VoIP system at work a year or so ago. I was thinking how well it would work on a cruise ship with cell phones.

Yes, just turn off cellular and keep wifi on.

Only way you could go wrong is if you also buy an Internet package, then your phone may be constantly downloading.

I could not believe the number of people I saw on their phones what seemed like the entire trip in January (even sea days):eek:!

When I'm on vacation, I put my phone in the safe after muster drill and it doesn't come out again until I'm in a US port or docking on the final day. I like to disconnect on my time off;).

I look at a phone as a communication tool. To me vacation does not mean disconnected, it means not working. I am able to separate working from being connected.

There is a difference.

I have been online on the internet for 20 years, so for me being connected is just part of my life. But as a point though I do not use social media. I personally have no use for Facebook, twitter, etc.

Keith

Amen, brother.

I don't think with something like this, everyone would be texting and talking. An app like this usually is only between others on the same app. So I imagine it would be used as a communication device between groups on the ship. I'm only going with my wife next week, but since I'm an early riser and she sleeps in, I'd love to be able to have her text me when she wakes up, since I'll leave the room to let her sleep and go exploring.

• Administrators

Another line has a similar app for use on board, I downloaded it and used it on my most recent cruise. I did NOT use the texting capabilities as that was an extra charge, but for the most part you are connected to their wifi on board and you can:

- Book shore excursions

- Look up restaurant info and menus, check reservations

- Entertainment & lounge venue info & ressies

- Check your onboard account!!!!

- all kinds of general info, such as spa and shopping on board

- Daily Activities -- you don't have to carry around the paper!

- cruise rewards info/specials/etc

The messenger features allowed you to talk with other guests who have also signed up during your cruise -- I think it was $7.95 for the entire cruise. Also, it allowed for calling home, for a nominal "per minute" fee during your cruise.

Now, I'm connected all the time during cruising for my job, but I have to say I liked being able to see what was available at that moment re: activities, or to change my ressies for dining or see where else I could eat if something was a bit too crowded.

One thing I would have liked to see were deck plans -- I was kinda scratching my head about that. (Although there were large screens around where you could access them). Why not include those in the app? This was my first time on this ship build and some navigation help (pun intended) would have been welcome.

If it is a free app, why not give it a try?

Laura

Royal started down this path and had announced that all the Vision class ships would get an IPAD in every cabin back in 2011, with Splendour set to be first out.

They cancelled their plans, stated they were taking this 'in-house' and would not focus on hardware, but would focus on APP development. Have not seen any news on this for at least six months.

Early information on 5G technology shows that mobile devices will soon (this decade) have connectivity on ships and a capacity much greater than what is currently available.

http://www.seatrade-insider.com/news/news-headlines/costa-app-lets-users-talk-text-within-the-ship-at-no-charge.html

Costa Cruises has announced the launch of “MyCosta Mobile”, a new application for smartphones and tablets that is designed to allow Costa guests to call and text onboard at no cost.

I think it's a terrible idea :)

To me, one of the simple pleasures of cruising is NOT having folks around you shouting into their cell phones relating their entire life's woes which could and should wait for a more private time.

Even better is not being run into by another person weaving down the passageway while texting a VERY IMPORTANT message without looking up from the screen, a message that probably could have delayed a couple of minutes until they found a non-congested place to reply. (an offshoot of folks texting while driving?):confused:

I DO understand emergencies BUT the stuff I'm referring to are the usual kinds of situations -and emergencies on a cruise are few and far between.

There are room phones and most folks do have to capacity to make pre-arrangements with family and friends aboard.

Just sayin' ...... :eek:

Another line has a similar app for use on board, I downloaded it and used it on my most recent cruise. I did NOT use the texting capabilities as that was an extra charge, but for the most part you are connected to their wifi on board and you can:

- Book shore excursions

- Look up restaurant info and menus, check reservations

- Entertainment & lounge venue info & ressies

- Check your onboard account!!!!

- all kinds of general info, such as spa and shopping on board

- Daily Activities -- you don't have to carry around the paper!

- cruise rewards info/specials/etc

This would be nice to have available on the TV in the room