Silly Question: Whale Tail DOD cups

Tropicalis_Rex

It's been a while since I've been on a cruise and I never noticed on our last cruise if anyone had these, but reading around the boards alerted me to their existence.

I guess my question is, do these cups still exist on recent sailings? I'm kinda really partial to the whale tails. (As an aside, the Spirit class is my favorite :cool: But I know the cups are the traditional tail).

If they do exist still, can you get a virgin DOD or something in them? We aren't big drinkers. I don't care either way, I'll buy it no matter what; but it would be nice to have another option, especially if DD or DH want one.

For some reason, the Whale Tail cups, and other specialty cups, aren't always made available on every cruise. Two years ago, on the Liberty, I wanted two of the Whale Tail cups. Each day, I would check to see if they were available for sale. By Thursday, when I still hadn't seen them, I finally asked one of the bartenders about them. She said she didn't think they were going to be offered on that cruise, but she would check the inventory, and if there were two available, she would get them for me. So, on Friday, Taa-Daa!, she was able to get a couple for me.:) So, I would suggest you ask your bartender. Be persistent, but be polite. "Please" and "Thank-you" (plus an extra tip ;)) really go a long way.

For some reason, the Whale Tail cups, and other specialty cups, aren't always made available on every cruise. Two years ago, on the Liberty, I wanted two of the Whale Tail cups. Each day, I would check to see if they were available for sale. By Thursday, when I still hadn't seen them, I finally asked one of the bartenders about them. She said she didn't think they were going to be offered on that cruise, but she would check the inventory, and if there were two available, she would get them for me. So, on Friday, Taa-Daa!, she was able to get a couple for me.:) So, I would suggest you ask your bartender. Be persistent, but be polite. "Please" and "Thank-you" (plus an extra tip ;)) really go a long way.

Oh dear Beachbum!! Okay. I'll be sure to ask about them politely. :D I sure hope they offer them on our cruise. Thanks for the info! I envy your whale tail in the signature, too! LOL!

I had zero expectations on my first cruise, and this one I am trying to figure out what I want to get on the ship because I figured last time the stuff in the Fun Shops, etc, would be available online - NOPE! LOL. I wanted some scrapbooking stuff but DH was being a tightwad! Haha. That's why I'm planning ahead this time so I can save up enough money to cover what I know I want and then some.

Edited by Tropicalis_Rex
Whale tail envy

When I got my Whale Tail and the Blow Fish, there was a different drink than the DOD in it. I don't remember what they were but I know it wasn't the DOD.

I have read on here that you can also buy they without a drink in them. If I remember correctly, my Blowfish cost around $12 with a drink in it.

Don't forget the Disco Ball drink cup, it is super cute. I have a collection on top of a cabinet in the office. Coconut Head, Blowfish, Disco Ball, Whale Tail and of course the Hurricane cups.

I hope they have the Red Frog Tervis tumbler on the Triumph in 2 weeks

Don't forget the Disco Ball drink cup, it is super cute. I have a collection on top of a cabinet in the office. Coconut Head, Blowfish, Disco Ball, Whale Tail and of course the Hurricane cups.

My quest on my next cruise is to get a disco ball!

So far, I have:

Whale Tail

Real Glass Hurricane (from back in the good ol days!)

Real Glass Snifter

Blow Fish

Monkey Head

Had the whale tails on Conquest Jan 5 cruise. Was super close to getting one, but I opted for a Blue Iguana Tervis to go with my Red Frog Rum Bar Tervis from my October Glory cruise. It just didn't look like it held that much. They didn't offer the whale tails on my May or October Glory cruises. At least not that I saw.

Love this idea of collecting them!!! I have several hidden out of sight now, and maybe I'll bring them out an display them as a reminder of past cruises and the next one coming up. Happy sailing!!!!!

Oh dear Beachbum!! Okay. I'll be sure to ask about them politely. :D I sure hope they offer them on our cruise. Thanks for the info! I envy your whale tail in the signature, too! LOL!

I had zero expectations on my first cruise, and this one I am trying to figure out what I want to get on the ship because I figured last time the stuff in the Fun Shops, etc, would be available online - NOPE! LOL. I wanted some scrapbooking stuff but DH was being a tightwad! Haha. That's why I'm planning ahead this time so I can save up enough money to cover what I know I want and then some.

it's an option, but purchase some cruise cash cards for those little extras you want. that way its already "put" away and don't have to worry about spending it elsewhere. lol. Just remember that you don't get any cash back. you have to spend what you purchase in the cruise cash. worse case and you have extra, buy something else or do a little gambling and pull that cruise cash out on the slots, play alittle then cash out at the cage and get what you don't spend back. :D

it's an option, but purchase some cruise cash cards for those little extras you want. that way its already "put" away and don't have to worry about spending it elsewhere. lol. Just remember that you don't get any cash back. you have to spend what you purchase in the cruise cash. worse case and you have extra, buy something else or do a little gambling and pull that cruise cash out on the slots, play alittle then cash out at the cage and get what you don't spend back. :D

Carnival gift certificates are a much better idea. You don't have to use it all and will get a new gift card with any remaining balance left over and you can use it later on.

By the way Tropicalis, the Whale Tail cup has a slot in the top (along with a hole for a straw). We use ours for coin banks. When it's time for our cruise, I get coin wrappers, wrap the coins, and take them to the bank and get paper money. It's not a huge fortune, but it does give us extra $1's & $5's for tip money.;):)

Edited by beachbum53

Very cool ideas, everyone! As for the cruise cash... I know there are three kinds... is it basically like pre-paying for onboard credit? I have some big expenditures on the ship this time so I had been thinking about cruise cash or gift card. :)

I appreciate everyone's replies!

The idea about cashing out the change in the tails for the next cruise is awesome! Some photos or another souvenir cup haha!

It's been a while since I've been on a cruise and I never noticed on our last cruise if anyone had these, but reading around the boards alerted me to their existence.

I guess my question is, do these cups still exist on recent sailings? I'm kinda really partial to the whale tails. (As an aside, the Spirit class is my favorite :cool: But I know the cups are the traditional tail).

If they do exist still, can you get a virgin DOD or something in them? We aren't big drinkers. I don't care either way, I'll buy it no matter what; but it would be nice to have another option, especially if DD or DH want one.

Yes they do have them still.

By the way Tropicalis, the Whale Tail cup has a slot in the top (along with a hole for a straw). We use ours for coin banks. When it's time for our cruise, I get coin wrappers, wrap the coins, and take them to the bank and get paper money. It's not a huge fortune, but it does give us extra $1's & $5's for tip money.;):)

I noticed that as well so after I got one on our December cruise on the Ecstasy, I washed it and gave it to our granddaughter as a stocking stuffer at Christmas for her to put her money in! :)

As far as I know, you can get a virgin drink in them (or any drink, doesn't have to be the DOD).

You might even get them to sell you one without a drink.

About two or three years ago, I mentioned to the bartender on Victory

that I just wanted the whale-tail alone, without the drink if possible.

he said Sure and sold it to me for $5 I think it was.

Oh my word! Blowfish and disco balls? I could go broke on cups! Does anyone have any photos of these treasures? LOL. I should change the title to show me your souvenir cup!

I'm still geeking over the whale tail though. That's my number one priority!!!!

I found these for you. http://search.aol.com/aol/image?q=Carnival+Blowfish+Cup+pictures&v_t=keyword_rollover

Got a whole bunch of cruise line logo cups (plastic) that are now on my work bench filled with nails and things. BUT the whale tail is different. DW has the smiling coconut but I always try to get a couple whale tails for the kids. They are banks if anyone doesn't know and make great souvenirs for the kids.

Oh my word! Blowfish and disco balls? I could go broke on cups! Does anyone have any photos of these treasures? LOL. I should change the title to show me your souvenir cup!

Pictures...yes. I'm attaching a link from last year where someone asked for pictures so I posted pictures of what I have from our most recent cruise (Valor, May 2013). I also have some of the actual glasses from our first cruise and also the older, plastic hurricane glasses, but didn't add pictures of those to this link.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1891469

I use mine to store my SS cards. I got mine in the disco with a soda (I don't drink), but have seen them around the ship, even in the theater.

Copyofth_Carnival-VIFP-Platinum_zps41db4d4e1_zps02e438c7.jpg

1391623444141.jpg.31afe55534c3038ec11f6448d8fef872.jpg