HAL questions from an old hand

brichar499

Although we are 3 star Mariners, it's been over a year since we've been on the Line. I do have a few questions about an upcoming March cruise on Nieuw Amsterdam.

1. Is there still an MDR lunch for Mariners upon boarding?

2. If so, is it possible to sneak a couple of first time cruisers in with us?

3. Is there still a Mariner champagne brunch during the cruise?

Although we are 3 star Mariners, it's been over a year since we've been on the Line. I do have a few questions about an upcoming March cruise on Nieuw Amsterdam.

1. Is there still an MDR lunch for Mariners upon boarding? Yes

2. If so, is it possible to sneak a couple of first time cruisers in with us? When you arrive at the dining room, just show and/or give your cabin number, tell how many people are in your party and you be seated. Many people have done this.

3. Is there still a Mariner champagne brunch during the cruise?

Yes there is still a Mariner's brunch -- some ships serve champagne -- others serve wine.

We didn't attend either of the brunches on our Collectors Cruise on the Nieuw Amsterdam so I can't tell you what they served.

1. Is there still an MDR lunch for Mariners upon boarding? Yes

2. If so, is it possible to sneak a couple of first time cruisers in with us? Never hurts to try.

3. Is there still a Mariner champagne brunch during the cruise? Yes

Welcome back to HAL

Bring your friends to embarkation lunch. It is highly in your favor they will be seated without question. When they ask for cabin number, just give yours and show your key card. I don't look at it as 'sneaking'...... HAL has to feed them lunch and what's the difference if they feed them in MDR or Lido? :shrug:

Invitation?

It doesn't happen often, and may have something to do with port of embarkation, but every once in a while Mariners are given an invitation to eat lunch in the dining room when they check in.

I have had it happen once, but don't recall where.

I was the only past HAL cruiser in our party of 6 (3 generations), and I just showed my invitation and we were all seated at a lovely window table. So much nicer than fighting the Lido the first day.

Since this new star program began back in 2010 (?) and the dining room embarkation lunch for Mariners was started, we have never gotten an invitation. Back then we were 4 Star Mariners (highest level then) and now we are 5 Star Mariners.

We just go if we want to.

It doesn't happen often, and may have something to do with port of embarkation, but every once in a while Mariners are given an invitation to eat lunch in the dining room when they check in.

I have had it happen once, but don't recall where.

We've received it a couple of times. I think it also depends on when one checks in. If checking in before noon, we have received it but not always. On our last cruise, we checked in a little later than we normally do, and did not receive the invitation. We still got to eat in the MDR but they had just closed the dining room when we arrived. My aunt and uncle, on the same cruise, who checked in early did receive the invitation.