Best place in Honolulu to buy souvenirs now that International Mkt closed

Cinderellie

I second the nomination for (shudder) Walmart. You will find tons of cheap souvenirs there -- lots of the same type of stuff from International Marketplace. There are tshirts, tote bags, mac nuts, playing cards, etc. at very inexpensive (for Hawaii) prices. And if you can't find what you want there, try ABC stores or Whaler's General Stores.

Where do you recommend in Kahalui? We port there. Thanks!

Kahului is not a really touristy spot -- you may want to take a shuttle, rent a car or take a tour to Lahaina or Kaanapali.

Kahului's best stops are the Ululani Shave Ice stand and a very small mall located near the pier. It is kind of industrial and not very touristy. They may have an ABC store at the mall but I don't recall.

Sad. I've been going to the International Marketplace since the 80's :(

And I have been going there since 1959 when my parents took me to Hawaii for the very first time. Very different then, you could see the beach from any of the stores on the Kalakawa street.

So sad, that they closed the one last place that really reminded us that this is Hawaii.

With respect to souvenirs on Maui, there is a Walmart in Kahului, approximately 1 mile inland from the pier (and the airport).

With respect to International Marketplace - the land leaseholder (Queen Emma Land Company, which also owns Queen's Medical Center) finally decided that the land under International Marketplace should generate more money for the Medical Center, and other Queen Emma Foundation endeavors.

Although I look forward to seeing the remodeled IMP, I have no affinity for the high end shops that will occupy this space. Guess I'll have to go to the Ala Moana Shopping Center if I want a cheaper, food court like meal.

Yes, I didn't say you started that discussion, only hoping you wouldn't mind if I added my inquiry to the coffee discussion. Wonder how I ever got along before CC....

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I can't tell you exactly where but there is a Starbucks in Lahania right off the main drag. If you ask one of the locals I am sure you will find it.

• 5 weeks later...
I vote for ABC, and as a tour bus driver commented....

What ABC stands for

A. Any

B. Block

&

C. Corner

So you wont have trouble finding one they are on Any Block and Corner.

Sea Ya

or, always bring change. lol

ABC Stores are alot like the trash receptacles at Disneyland, you're never really more than about 30 steps from one.

We loved shopping at the ABC stores and Whalers for souviners. They had really nice t-shirts from the island you were on and the prices were great. We bought water there to bring back on the boat and they have just about everything in the store, health and beauty aids, snacks, alcohol, even some luggage. It saved us from going crazy our 2 days in Waikiki trying to figure out what to do with our dirty clothes transferring to our cruise. We went there for a piece of luggage and spent $20 on an expandable one with wheels that served the purpose and is now another souvenier. I also completely forgot to get my younger daughter a coverup and she found a cute floral spagetti strapped tube dress in there for $15, I couldn't touch one back home for that cheap!

I definatelly think it is worth a walk in to peek around. And don't forget to save your receipts for a free gift, we took home 2 nice tote bags from there that were our carryons on our flight back to keep some delicate souveniers in.

No mourning of the loss of the International Market Place from me. It has been a mere shadow of its former self since the 1980's, maybe earlier. Gone were the cool clubs and restaurants and gone was anything Hawaiian. All the trinkets and "souvenirs" that were being sold were from China, Indonesia and the Philippines, nothing Hawaiian.

There are still plenty of souvenir shops in Waikiki, including the aforementioned Duke's Lane, but Long's at Ala Moana will have a larger selection in one area.

And while Hilo Hattie's is in some respects the ultimate in touristy, at least it is locally owned and operated.

I look forward to what comes out of the new IMP and all the good that the proceeds will do for the people of Hawaii.

When are you arriving. A new Walmart is opening soon in downtown Honolulu about 3 blocks up from Aloha Tower where most cruise ships dock. They sell a lot souvenirs at their locations in Honolulu.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

A couple of additions: in response to the Starbucks Hawaii mugs, I have seen them at the Starbucks at the airport in Honolulu if that is all you are looking for! Save your touring time and snag one while at the airport! On a note about Costco. You can find "only in Hawaii" Hershey kisses with macadamia nuts in larger bags at Costco than at Walmart,etc. Costco also has Thunder Mountain 100%Kona coffee at Costco for considerably less money than at the plantation on Kona. This is the place that the ships tour for plantation tours as well as the one featured on Mike Rowes Dirty Jobs on Discovery channel. Good stuff.!

• 4 weeks later...
And I have been going there since 1959 when my parents took me to Hawaii for the very first time. Very different then, you could see the beach from any of the stores on the Kalakawa street.

So sad, that they closed the one last place that really reminded us that this is Hawaii.

We booked a "last minute" cruise on the POA and decided to fly in a day early, I booked a hotel close, so I could go to the Int'l Market Place - Special first Hawaii visit Memory from 1960 *sigh*........

Saw the Coco Palms on Kauai sitting in ruins last year, now this......

Edited by SMerritt

Hee Hee… funny replies. I vote for ABC stores also.

Sad comment about Hilo Hatties. I was there two weeks ago. At check out, the employee said in his best accent " Hilo Hatties going down hill, company going under. Sad man".

Yes, sad it will be if they close their doors. We were the only customers in the Hilo store.

Wares ranged from Hawaiian shirts, and little girls Hawaiian outfits,ladies wear, Maui Divers jewelry, coffee,nuts etc and knick knacks, with some beach stuff.