My view on Specialty restaurants

My argument is that now they have cut too much out of the basics that really can't be replaced by just spending optioning up your experience. There are features that were unique to cruising that you not only will you not get it for $119 for three nights on Majesty, you will not get it spending 30 times that amount either staying in a Crown Loft Suite on Allure.

It's like....if RCI said "We'll give you one midnight buffet per cruise, a steel drum band at sailaway, and enough staff in the dining room so you can get out in under 2 hours...your base ticket will go up $40." Deal. You've got it. I don't need to beat your brains out for every penny. I want to see some of the unique aspects of cruising, the service, the lavish food, etc., return. I'm willing to have it included in my fare.

The other poster made reference to a boiled frog. I call it death by a thousand cuts. You'll never pinpoint the one that put the product over the edge...but coming back from the tipping point is very, very, very difficult. I think RCI is really starting to split hairs and people are feeling a little uncomfortable.

I'm the "boiled frog guy" and I think you did a great job of expressing yourself. In particular, the points I quoted state it quite succinctly in my opinion, and I completely agree.

I'm probably getting closer all the time - that "tipping point" you mention - of looking at alternatives. I'd be inclined to look up the ladder at Celebrity & Azamara, but what's stopped me on that are all the reports I read talking about how much "quieter & subdued" the atmosphere is there. I wish we could find a little more upscale experience like RCCL of the past, but still enjoy dancing & partying till well after midnight & being able to go for a moonlit swim if it struck our fancy, without discovering that the dance club is almost empty & the pools closed by 10 PM!

Sent from my Galaxy S4 via Tapatalk

The other poster made reference to a boiled frog. I call it death by a thousand cuts. You'll never pinpoint the one that put the product over the edge...but coming back from the tipping point is very, very, very difficult. I think RCI is really starting to split hairs and people are feeling a little uncomfortable.

Your comment is echoed on the boards for most, if not all, of the cruise lines. Even Cunard passengers feel it's just not the same as it used to be

Perhaps the industry needs to look more closely at what cruisers feel are critical needs - and what they are willing to pay $$ for in the forms of upsales or fare increases.

Not a fan boy. Just stating the facts. If things change and I no longer enjoy the product then I leave. Simple as that. I am not going to sit around and worry about something that may or may not happen. I have better things to do like plan my next cruise. Next! :rolleyes:

I am a fan of cruising and specifically RCCL.....but if the cruise marketplace changes and the RCCL offerings are not to my liking, I will consider other options. Simple as that. No one knows what changes will come, just like few people probably anticipated the changes that have already occurred (those that cruised in the 70s, 80, 90s).

For now I am busy with other things, one of which is planning my June cruise on Allure.

It is amazing how much better things look with the passage of time and it is easy to romanticize the "good old days" of cruising especially if we overlook some of the things which made them not quite as good: higher fares, lack of balconies, rooms with only upper and lower berths, minimal entertainment, and limited dining options). The claim that the lines aim to phase out main dining rooms fails to recognize the problem that they would face trying to feed thousands of passengers each day given the limited facilities of the specialty restaurants and expanding those facilities to accommodate those numbers would simply be recreating something that currently exists (large banquet halls) Adding options is hardly the same as eliminating them. Let's face it, things change for better or worse in every aspect of our lives, but believing that things were "so much better then" is to deny reality. Years from now, believe it or not, someone will be claiming that these were the "good old days":)

It is amazing how much better things look with the passage of time and it is easy to romanticize the "good old days" of cruising especially if we overlook some of the things which made them not quite as good: higher fares, lack of balconies, rooms with only upper and lower berths, minimal entertainment, and limited dining options). The claim that the lines aim to phase out main dining rooms fails to recognize the problem that they would face trying to feed thousands of passengers each day given the limited facilities of the specialty restaurants and expanding those facilities to accommodate those numbers would simply be recreating something that currently exists (large banquet halls) Adding options is hardly the same as eliminating them. Let's face it, things change for better or worse in every aspect of our lives, but believing that things were "so much better then" is to deny reality. Years from now, believe it or not, someone will be claiming that these were the "good old days":)

I agree! Enjoy cruising while u can

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

In 2002 we cruised on a NCL ship for $800 each for a balcony cabin for 7 days ($114 a day) what we considered a pretty good price....in a couple of months we will be on the Brilliance of the Seas for 14 days in a balcony for $1050 ($75 a day).

In 12 years I don't think the quality of cruising has changed much at all, but clearly the prices have gone down. This makes us happy....we can cruise more and for longer. Yay!!!

I personally love that we can CHOOSE to upgrade our experience without spending the huge bucks for cruising on an upgraded premium cruise line. It's our choice, we can take it or leave. This also makes us happy!

BTW we love the specialty restaurants. We usually cruise for 2-4 weeks at a time and the specialty restaurants give up something different and a nice change from the normal eating spots on a cruise.

I've done much better at Texas Roadhouse.

Somewhat OT, we've had good experiences at Chops but the meat at Texas Roadhouse is very good, especially at their prices, much less than Chops :D

Edited by pspercy

Wow, that's the problem with me. A lot of food preference is subjective, but the effort to cut a rare steak is not. Maybe I'm the victim of terrible luck, but I've repeatedly gotten tough steaks at Chops, on more than one ship. I've done much better at Texas Roadhouse.

You must be the victim of bad luck...we've eaten at Chops 17 times and ALL 17 were A- A+...also, you are not sitting at a table for 2 by the sea at the Roadhouse ..also, they are very noisy ( for me, at least..)..I've had both the Filet & NY Strip at Chops, all have been terrific, as I said...also, do you get unlimited appetizers, salad, & desserts for $35 PP? Yes, the price has gone up since we started going ( it was $20 pp in 2006)....

Big Al

Ouch big al !!!

My comments contained no judgments to warrant that response ... only, as I attempted to make clear ... to add our opinions to the discussion.

I don't believe I insinuated that Chops was anything less than excellent - I assume it is excellent from comments made on the CC boards.

I stated why folks like us might like to continue to dine in the MDR ... again ... choices for everyone?

I guess because of my own biases, I get a little frustrated when I feel people knock specialty dining...I.E. I NEVER ate shrimp or lobster until well into my 40's because I just thought it would taste awful..then one day I tasted both and I couldn't believe how yummy they were...my Dad always said, "don't knock it till you try it"..I also never ate Chinese food...tried it & loved it, too...I guess I want people to experience the finer things on cruises..the MDR, IMO, is a step above Denny's, not even as good as the Outback, certainly not as good as Cheesecake Factory, or Houston's...their steak is horrible, and the sides don't even come close to Chops like the creamed asparagus, hash browns with onion & melted cheese...as I mentioned earlier, the crab cakes are the best I've ever had anywhere...you can't get any of these things in the MDR...when we cruise, we like to feel "special"..in the MDR, it feels like we're at a wedding....didn't mean to insinuate you were making judgements- sorry...

Big Al

The top four people above me did not read my original post carefully and it really speaks to your intelligence when you can't debate with someone without name calling and without even adressing the concerns themselves.

1.) You cannot say "to each his own" on topic that involves everyone. The discussion is not about whether or not specialty dining is worth it, I'm sure it is. The discussion is also not about whether or not its good to have options...as a matter of fact yes, yes it is very nice to have options. But before you start capitalizing the word OPTIONAL as if I'm some sort of ignorant moron who doesn't realize that I have options go read my original post and also the post of the person who made the boiled frog analogy. If the cruise industry stayed the same way it is now, I really wouldn't care. But myself and anyone out there with half a brain can and should think about the BIG PICTURE ie where this industry will be in 10-15 years. If you happen to be one of those people with the capacity to think forward (as do the CEOs of these cruise companies) then you should be worried about a completely ala cart experience.

2.)To the person who called me tacky for saying "I'm rich." I think its a important to state my financial background on a matter then involves extra fees...don't you think? This would be a much different discussion if I was lamenting the fact that I couldn't afford these higher specialty dining but other people could. Again, use your brain before posting.

3.)To the guy who said "complaining on a message board makes people feel better." First off this wasn't a complaint, it was a general observation meant to create a discussion, secondly, why don't you go ahead and never post again because pretty much everything on this forum involves exchange of information and ideas, 2 things you seem offended by.

Finally, I simply have no idea what to say to people who write things like "I'm happy to pay the extra money for better quality, cruising is so cheap nowadays anyways." Consider yourselves victims of the marketing plan of these multi-billion dollar companies because you're speaking the words they wish you to speak. That being said I'm not here to say that these companies are evil or that it doesn't make sense for them to do what they are doing. My issue is with people foaming at the mouth and succumbing so easily. In any consumer market, the consumer (that's you and me) control it. Do not so willingly give up the standard we have now. And guys, I don't need an economic lesson on inflation when you people don't seem to understand the concept yourselves. If the price of cruises has gone down relative to the worth of your money that has absolutely nothing to do with adding extra charges on the ship......why you seem to think those things are related is beyond me and I have a degree in economics.

I'm so worried and caught up in what the cruise industry will look like in 15 years!....Yeah right give me a break, have sailed 15 years prior to todays date and will be sailing 15 years from now god willing. Your argument is without merit period, you have a degree in economics, god forbid!....:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:... Feel sorry for people that waste time and energy with certain issues and posts, maybe go back read your posts and tell me how "wise' they sound. Because people don't agree with your thought process AT ALL is no reason to demean anyone....:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Lol I agree with you!! No one is forcing you to cruise. You don't like the changes then don't go. People will always find something to complain about. I have so done cooking, cleaning, pouring my drinks and entertaining me. I have nothing to complain about.

I can't wait to go to Johnny Rockets!! Grilled cheese with chili

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Refreshing spin, great attitude, and as you know from these boards it is amazing what people will moan and complain about and how if your not in 100% agreement with someones view you must be a moron....:)...K.O.....Happy cruising CA1982!

also, do you get unlimited appetizers, salad, & desserts for $35 PP? Yes, the price has gone up since we started going ( it was $20 pp in 2006)....

I disagree with this thought process. You have paid for dinner in main dining room and are forfeiting that, so you have to factor in that cost too. Using restaurant cost comparison, a 4 course meal at any restaurant is going to run you a minimum of $40 pp ($8 appetizer, salad and dessert, $16 entree is my thought -- I recognize that's not the cruise ship's cost, but the poster is analogizing to restaurant costs). So your specialty restaurant meal is "costing" you at least $75pp.

Not saying it's not still worth it to you . . .

a 4 course meal at any restaurant is going to run you a minimum of $40 pp ($8 appetizer, salad and dessert, $16 entree is my thought -- I recognize that's not the cruise ship's cost, but the poster is analogizing to restaurant costs). So your specialty restaurant meal is "costing" you at least $75pp.

First of all, I think $75pp for that meal is not terribly unreasonable. It's slightly more than I would pay for it on land, but after all, I'm in the middle of the ocean!

However, I take issue with comparing your cost for the MDR. Comparing the MDR to a "restaurant" is a bit inaccurate. The correct comparison would be to a banquet facility. Book an event at a banquet facility, and you pay a price per head, based on the meal you choose, and the number being prepared. Based on that, and the overall quality of the meal, I would estimate an MDR dinner to run a banquet cost of maybe $20, $25 at most.

What fun reading what others are saying on this topic. I am amazed how some people pay for a cheap cruise, say $499 or so....then expect gourmet food in the MDR ! The only thing everyone can agree on is change, nothing will stay the same!

What fun reading what others are saying on this topic. I am amazed how some people pay for a cheap cruise, say $499 or so....then expect gourmet food in the MDR ! The only thing everyone can agree on is change, nothing will stay the same!

Okay, so let RCI charge us 549 or 599 and give us back a little quality service and special food IN the cruise fare. When was it collectively decided that everyone only wanted the CHEAPEST. Why is RCI chasing Carnival down the drainpipe? There IS a middle ground between the race to the bottom (Carnival, RCI, Princess, NCL) and expensive luxury cruises at $4K per person ++++; it is just evaporating unfortunately.

You missed my point.....With people getting lower fares to cruise than years ago, something has to give! Food in the MDR is one and are more like "buffet style" meals. Some are good , some ok and some not so good. But now there are specialty restaurants to appeal to those who want a better dining experience (at a cost). I was commenting how some still expect a gourmet meal in the MDR each night yet want to pay a lower cruise fare. Cannot be done. I think we agree on the same things. I do not want the level of food and service to go down either.

Okay, so let RCI charge us 549 or 599 and give us back a little quality service and special food IN the cruise fare. When was it collectively decided that everyone only wanted the CHEAPEST. Why is RCI chasing Carnival down the drainpipe? There IS a middle ground between the race to the bottom (Carnival, RCI, Princess, NCL) and expensive luxury cruises at $4K per person ++++; it is just evaporating unfortunately.

This is a trend not just in cruising but in virtually all aspects of travel. People price shop constantly. And anything RCI can do to keep the sticker price down will attract more people. They are compared directly to Carnival by those who are looking. And the higher price will drive people away.

It's a lot like the Vegas trend of "resort fees". Virtually every hotel in Vegas now adds a daily "resort fee" anywhere from $10-$30, that is NOT shown in the room rate. That way, when someone looks on an internet travel site like expedia or hotwire, the rooms compare more favorably.

Do I like the practice? No. Is there any indication that it's going to stop? No.

Your argument is without merit period, you have a degree in economics, god forbid!....:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:... Feel sorry for people that waste time and energy with certain issues and posts, maybe go back read your posts and tell me how "wise' they sound.

if your not in 100% agreement with someones view you must be a moron....:)

Wow, thanks for proving your point by being the BEST example yourself! :rolleyes:

Sent from my Galaxy S4 via Tapatalk

First of all, I think $75pp for that meal is not terribly unreasonable. It's slightly more than I would pay for it on land, but after all, I'm in the middle of the ocean!

However, I take issue with comparing your cost for the MDR. Comparing the MDR to a "restaurant" is a bit inaccurate. The correct comparison would be to a banquet facility. Book an event at a banquet facility, and you pay a price per head, based on the meal you choose, and the number being prepared. Based on that, and the overall quality of the meal, I would estimate an MDR dinner to run a banquet cost of maybe $20, $25 at most.

I'm just curious ...... How many of the folks slamming the MDR for being low quality or banquet-like cook at a gourmet level each night at home? How many actually care to have that gourmet edge to the food each meal? :confused:

We tend to order dishes in the MDR that I don't normally cook at home - stepping out of our normal menu comfort zones- and have been, on the whole, very happy with the MDR menus.

Reading this thread one would believe that the food in the MDR "sucks" and I don't believe that's the case. There are posters in this thread who make it sound like there is something less than acceptable that someone might actually enjoy the MDR dining experience. We enjoy it .... and there are 100's and 100's of folks eating in the MDR who are very happy with the experience, the choices and quality.:cool:

To a new cruiser or someone considering their first cruise the attitudes toward the MDR are very off-putting. One would believe that if you're not prepared to pay for specialty dining each and every evening you may well go hungry. Just MHO

PS ... I'm glad there are choices for everyone - but demeaning the choices of those who don't go along with your opinions just isn't fair.

Edited by summersigh

I agree with the OP...........

Also why RC has changed is the business of the Folk at RC....I am not concerned with the price RC pays for its OIL, staff costs, food, entertainment or anything else it needs to run its operation.

Not my business............

What is my business is how I spend my discretionary vacation dollar.

RC is not really the great value it once was. Plus there is way way more to cruising than just the ticket price.

THe service and food quality in CHOPS has gone down!!! Now they want $35 pp. WA WA WHAT!

Not worth it!

I am D+ with almost 50 RC cruises under my belt.......I used to always defend RC...RC is a for profit corporation with the discretion to make business choices.

We as consumers have the discretion to spend our disposable vacation $$$$ where we want.

OP show RC what you think by how you spend your $$$$.

Interesting thread...

We are not huge users of Specialty Restaurants, maybe once on each cruise tops, sometimes not at all. However, when/if it becomes necessary to have to go to Specialty Restaurants in order to get a nice dinner, then for us it is time to change cruise lines! :)

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

I'm just curious ...... How many of the folks slamming the MDR for being low quality or banquet-like cook at a gourmet level each night at home? How many actually care to have that gourmet edge to the food each meal? :confused:

We tend to order dishes in the MDR that I don't normally cook at home - stepping out of our normal menu comfort zones- and have been, on the whole, very happy with the MDR menus.

Reading this thread one would believe that the food in the MDR "sucks" and I don't believe that's the case. There are posters in this thread who make it sound like there is something less than acceptable that someone might actually enjoy the MDR dining experience. We enjoy it .... and there are 100's and 100's of folks eating in the MDR who are very happy with the experience, the choices and quality.:cool:

To a new cruiser or someone considering their first cruise the attitudes toward the MDR are very off-putting. One would believe that if you're not prepared to pay for specialty dining each and every evening you may well go hungry. Just MHO

PS ... I'm glad there are choices for everyone - but demeaning the choices of those who don't go along with your opinions just isn't fair.

I don't think anyone in this thread ever said the MDR food sucks, at least I didn't.

In fact I'm arguing the opposite, I'm fearful the MDR by become a relic of the past.

Anyways, I better go back into hiding before the fanboys come out and start bashing me for having an opinion and "complaining."

I strongly disagree with your insinuations. First of all, I was not calling it "banquet food" as a knock. But that is the fair comparison. When they are making a particular dish and serving it to several hundred people at a time, that's consistent with banquet style preparation and serving. It's not meant as a criticism. I think that putting it in context makes the meal seem more appropriate. You are correct that no one should be expecting true gourmet fare.

As for it being less than acceptable to enjoy the MDR, that is ridiculous. I do not particularly enjoy the MDR. But that doesn't reflect on ANYONE except myself. I also don't care for some of the other things on board. But I don't in any way look down on those who do. Different stroke for different folks...

I strongly disagree with your insinuations. First of all, I was not calling it "banquet food" as a knock.

I really can't take anyone seriously when they say things like "MDR food is a step above Denny's." So when people say things like that their credibility goes out of the window. I'm not sure what kind of banquets you've been going to but I would consider banquet food to be a positive thing. I think the person you replied to ha a different experience and thats why theres a discrepancy there.

Either way, 35$ pp, + 18$ for the aged beef +the price of the meal at the MDR which I won't be eating that night is never ever going to happen in my family. A ruth's chris meal winds up costing less.

the top four people above me did not read my original post carefully and it really speaks to your intelligence when you can't debate with someone without name calling and without even adressing the concerns themselves.

1.) you cannot say "to each his own" on topic that involves everyone. The discussion is not about whether or not specialty dining is worth it, i'm sure it is. The discussion is also not about whether or not its good to have options...as a matter of fact yes, yes it is very nice to have options. But before you start capitalizing the word optional as if i'm some sort of ignorant moron who doesn't realize that i have options go read my original post and also the post of the person who made the boiled frog analogy. If the cruise industry stayed the same way it is now, i really wouldn't care. But myself and anyone out there with half a brain can and should think about the big picture ie where this industry will be in 10-15 years. If you happen to be one of those people with the capacity to think forward (as do the ceos of these cruise companies) then you should be worried about a completely ala cart experience.

2.)to the person who called me tacky for saying "i'm rich." i think its a important to state my financial background on a matter then involves extra fees...don't you think? This would be a much different discussion if i was lamenting the fact that i couldn't afford these higher specialty dining but other people could. Again, use your brain before posting.

3.)to the guy who said "complaining on a message board makes people feel better." first off this wasn't a complaint, it was a general observation meant to create a discussion, secondly, why don't you go ahead and never post again because pretty much everything on this forum involves exchange of information and ideas, 2 things you seem offended by.

Finally, i simply have no idea what to say to people who write things like "i'm happy to pay the extra money for better quality, cruising is so cheap nowadays anyways." consider yourselves victims of the marketing plan of these multi-billion dollar companies because you're speaking the words they wish you to speak. That being said i'm not here to say that these companies are evil or that it doesn't make sense for them to do what they are doing. My issue is with people foaming at the mouth and succumbing so easily. In any consumer market, the consumer (that's you and me) control it. Do not so willingly give up the standard we have now. And guys, i don't need an economic lesson on inflation when you people don't seem to understand the concept yourselves. If the price of cruises has gone down relative to the worth of your money that has absolutely nothing to do with adding extra charges on the ship......why you seem to think those things are related is beyond me and i have a degree in economics.

like!