My view on Specialty restaurants

You have a degree in economics? Seriously? This is such simple math and you don't get it? Econ 101 tells you about inflation, and since the cost per night has been stable, or have gone down, with all the other costs of business going up, cuts had to be made someplace. I'm an engineer and get it.

Oh, you are saying that you don't accept it. Well, then why book a cruise on the ship where you don't accept the changes? It's not as if you are taking your opinion to another cruise line. To accuse the ones that accept the alteration in the model to the new one "victims of a marketing plan" is not helpful. I understand that value wise, I'm able to get a nicer cabin for the same price as before.

Ok, well, inform all you want. It's not new, original, or terribly helpful.

And nothing is likely to happen based on this thread. Well, unless you cancel your cruise.

I'm not going to discuss economics 101 with you when I was a professor in advanced economics. Your level of understanding when it comes to this subject is simply incorrect and I'm not trying to be rude about that I just dont have the time or energy to give an economics lecture right now.

Edited by SpartacusMD

Then you would have to eat with commoners because we would be there with you. After that, would you suggest a Specialty Specialty Restaurant to separate you? Maybe a Specialty Specialty Specialty Restaurant? hehe

Poor, poor man!

What????? I think you better put the cocktails away.............:rolleyes:

I'm not going to discuss economics 101 with you when I was a professor in advanced economics. Your level of understanding when it comes to this subject is simply incorrect and I'm not trying to be rude about that I just dont have the time or energy to give an economics lecture right now.

Wow. Coming off a bit arrogant, aren't we?

So what if everything goes ala cart? As long as the base price of cruising continues to go down relative to inflation like it has for the last 30 years, the overall out of pocket cost per person will still need to beat inflation in order to cover rising expenses for the company to still make it's profit margins.

Some people will pay as little as they possibly can, just like they do now, and be happy with it.

Some people will pay for more premium options, essentially subsidizing the costs of the people who pay as little as possible, and be happy with it.

Which is pretty much what has always happened.

How is it any different than cabin categories when you look at it solely on the basis of cost per square foot?

Disclaimer: I've been on 5 cruises, and have dined in 1 specialty restaurant 1 time, and also did the sushi making class in Izumi.

Edited by nolesrule

We don't see the big advantage to Chops over the MDR when, for example, last night here in our home town we had an angus beef filet & a lobster tail for $29.99.

We'll eat in the MDR - there's always something there we like - and save the extra $$$ for going out at home. For us, the specialty dining on a ship are an unnecessary expense. We'd rather spend on excursions :)

That's fine that you prefer the MDR..BUT there IS a huge difference in quality & choice between the MDR & Chops, IMO...HUGE....MDR is like the Best Western..Chops is the Grand Hyatt...we are completely the opposite- don't go out much at home, we ave for our vacations...as my father said, "when you go on vacation, do it in style, that's what vacations are for"....how many times have you tried Chops and didn't like it?

That's fine that you prefer the MDR..BUT there IS a huge difference in quality & choice between the MDR & Chops, IMO...HUGE....MDR is like the Best Western..Chops is the Grand Hyatt...we are completely the opposite- don't go out much at home, we ave for our vacations...as my father said, "when you go on vacation, do it in style, that's what vacations are for"....how many times have you tried Chops and didn't like it?

This particular issue is a taste issue. Some people are going to like the taste others will not find the benefit. Its true of any restaurant on land or sea.

Wow. Coming off a bit arrogant, aren't we?

So what if everything goes ala cart? As long as the base price of cruising continues to go down relative to inflation like it has for the last 30 years, the overall out of pocket cost per person will still need to beat inflation in order to cover rising expenses for the company to still make it's profit margins.

Some people will pay as little as they possibly can, just like they do now, and be happy with it.

Some people will pay for more premium options, essentially subsidizing the costs of the people who pay as little as possible, and be happy with it.

Which is pretty much what has always happened.

How is it any different than cabin categories when you look at it solely on the basis of cost per square foot?

Disclaimer: I've been on 5 cruises, and have dined in 1 specialty restaurant 1 time, and also did the sushi making class in Izumi.

Arrogant? Go back and read his quote "You can't do simple math" and then proceeded to tell me to take an econ 101 class when I teach a class 5 levels above that. Its not arrogance, I'm just putting out my credentials so no one else tries to teach me "simple math."

Your other points are valid and hey thats an opinion. Izumi sounds really really good and I'm tempted to try it!

For the millionth time I'm not complaining about anything because as of now there is nothing to complain about. I'm just wondering how other people would react if everything was ala cart. Sheesh-people told me about RCI fanboys but I never thought they would be this bad!

Given your thumbs down in the title and the content of your post (after reading it twice), I understand what you're saying but I think it's hard for anyone to come away thinking your not complaining.

Oh, so that big "THUMBS DOWN" symbol you put in the subject means you AREN'T complaining. Now I get it.

That's like me saying your being narrow minded and stupid. But I INSIST that I am not insulting you.:rolleyes:

Having an opinion is not the same thing as complaining. Whats my gain to complain? I'm not sure how stating an opinion (which many have agreed with) is narrow minded and stupid. You're just pissed off that I have a different opinion than you. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Oh, so that big "THUMBS DOWN" symbol you put in the subject means you AREN'T complaining. Now I get it.

That's like me saying your being narrow minded and stupid. But I INSIST that I am not insulting you.:rolleyes:

In his defense, I think everyone - even you - have positive views or opinions about some things & negative opinions about others. So is it safe to assume that you never state your negative opinions around here, only the positive ones? Because - we wouldn't want to catch you "complaining", right? :rolleyes:

Sent from my Galaxy S4 via Tapatalk

Given your thumbs down in the title and the content of your post (after reading it twice), I understand what you're saying but I think it's hard for anyone to come away thinking your not complaining.

So you want to play semantics then?Would it make you feel better if I said I were complaining? Can we then have a discussion where people aren't putting rolleyes emoticons everywhere and insulting me?

Anyways, it seems like some people are REALLY REALLY REALLY attached to the ala cart and speciality dining experience lol. Enough so that a conversation about whether this is a good or bad thing is simply not possible.

I'm out guys. Take care!

None of the responses to the post have disagreed with the premise of the discussion, which is: Having options is nice but i am fearful of not having any options in the future.

Its not the addition of options thats of concern it is the removal of having the option NOT to go to the special restaurants.

For the millionth time I'm not complaining about anything because as of now there is nothing to complain about. I'm just wondering how other people would react if everything was ala cart. Sheesh-people told me about RCI fanboys but I never thought they would be this bad!

I agree with you. Actually I worried about this when Royal first began introducing the speciality restaurants. I quite like them at times, but that's not the point. I am sure one day we will indeed see what you're concerned about. Once they (RCI, or any company at all) see what the consumer is willing to pay for, they adjust accordingly.

Edited by LuckiStac13*Majesty*

Ouch big al !!!

My comments contained no judgments to warrant that response ... only, as I attempted to make clear ... to add our opinions to the discussion.

I don't believe I insinuated that Chops was anything less than excellent - I assume it is excellent from comments made on the CC boards.

I stated why folks like us might like to continue to dine in the MDR ... again ... choices for everyone?

IMHO

I like the way it is now, MDR/Buffet even if the buffet was the only free dining option, which I doubt will happen in my life time I would still cruise.

I have no problem paying an up charge for specialty restaurants, if they are truly specialty restaurants, and the service is up to par/better than land base equivalent restaurant. Our experiences with specialty restaurants have been hit or miss mostly miss, some food has been great, but the fish has been ugly/bad, yes you can send it back but but, takes took long, and service is lacking and sometimes takes tooooooooo long to ask if everything is ok. Quite frankly I have had just as good service in the MDR.

So you want to play semantics then?Would it make you feel better if I said I were complaining? Can we then have a discussion where people aren't putting rolleyes emoticons everywhere and insulting me?

Semantics? I thought I was trying to point out why you may feel you're under attack but after reading this I think you've got your undies in a knot and can't get them undone. No emoticons necessary.

In his defense, I think everyone - even you - have positive views or opinions about some things & negative opinions about others. So is it safe to assume that you never state your negative opinions around here, only the positive ones? Because - we wouldn't want to catch you "complaining", right? :rolleyes:

Sent from my Galaxy S4 via Tapatalk

Of course I do. And I WILL come on here and complain about things. That's a very common occurrence here. And there is absolutely nothing wrong with it. Read the title of the thread, and read his first post. If that isn't a complaint, nothing is.

The only ridiculous thing here is the OP trying to say it's not a complaint.

I don't look at food with importance but we do need it to enjoy a cruise. MY point is we just need food and if I wanted specialty food I would indulge on shore not in a restaurant on a ship. I have boycotted the specialty restaurants from the very beginning and will still do so. My money is spent on other more fun things that I Can do without outgrowing my clothes on a cruise (because I have over eaten). Too much attention is placed on food period!!

You don't have to overeat in a specialty restaurant.

None of the responses to the post have disagreed with the premise of the discussion, which is: Having options is nice but i am fearful of not having any options in the future.

Its not the addition of options thats of concern it is the removal of having the option NOT to go to the special restaurants.

I would be fine with all meals being ala carte, but don't think it will happen because the ships aren't built for that. We ate in the MDR once on Allure - we found the food to be average and the service to be dizzyingly rushed but painfully slow at the same time. I want my evening meal to be relaxed and enjoyable, not spent watching carts and trays fly by my table, with our service being slowed down by a table of 14. I can find that in a specialty restaurant, although I did notice on Allure that they packed people in to Giovanni's table and the service was subpar as a result. In other specialties that we've dine in, they haven't filled every table. I hope our Allure experience was an anomaly.

I would be fine with all meals being ala carte, but don't think it will happen because the ships aren't built for that. We ate in the MDR once on Allure - we found the food to be average and the service to be dizzyingly rushed but painfully slow at the same time. I want my evening meal to be relaxed and enjoyable, not spent watching carts and trays fly by my table, with our service being slowed down by a table of 14. I can find that in a specialty restaurant, although I did notice on Allure that they packed people in to Giovanni's table and the service was subpar as a result. In other specialties that we've dine in, they haven't filled every table. I hope our Allure experience was an anomaly.

Your experience in the MDR matched that of ours exactly. Out of six weeks spent cruising on the Oasis class we have dined exactly one night in the MDR and that was the first night on the first cruise. It was enough to turn us off for good.

As far as the specialty dining on the same class we have only had one issue and we usually dine five to six night in specialty dining per week. It was Giovanni's but it wasn't service or food quality related. A group of highly intoxicated guests who were loud and rude. Other than that they have been great.

What????? I think you better put the cocktails away.............:rolleyes:

My apologies to you. My comment was uncalled for. Please enjoy your dining choice, maybe sometime I will try one. Which is your favorite?

Our dinning choices have changed since we have sailed. We used to always eat in MDR and have changed to MTD and eat when and where we like to. You will find that on all main dining room menu's there is a special place from the specialty restaurants and the steak is $14.95 from chop's and that is a bargain at any restaurant.

We have never ordered it but eaten in chop's, those that have maybe able to tell the rest of us that the meats are much better at the specialty restaurants then in the MDR.

Bon appetite and enjoy where every you wish to indulge at.

....how many times have you tried Chops and didn't like it?

Wow, that's the problem with me. A lot of food preference is subjective, but the effort to cut a rare steak is not. Maybe I'm the victim of terrible luck, but I've repeatedly gotten tough steaks at Chops, on more than one ship. I've done much better at Texas Roadhouse.

I think you're lamentation is a bit shortsighted. There are true all-inclusive resorts all over the place. If that's what you're after, you might want to look at one. But lamenting that cruising is EXPANDING it's options and services to accommodate those of us that are looking for more is frankly unrealistic.

I wouldn't cruise RCI at all if they didn't offer the premium options they do. And let's be realistic- who is more attractive as a profit driver for them? Someone like myself that is happy to pay more for an enhanced experience, or someone who generates very little extra revenue once on board? They will continue to expand their offerings as they do what ANY company does, and look for ways to attract more customers and generate more revenue.

I know a lot of people agree with your concerns, and I don't mean this in a dismissive way, but CLEARLY that group is not large enough or compelling enough to stop this trend. The day they have trouble filling their ships is the day they will need to rethink these practices.

I think it would be fair of me to point out that I do avail myself of some of the upcharge options. I enjoy them. I appreciate that they are available. I am willing to pay money for them. Some, even, I want to experience enough to the point that I pay months before I board the ship to secure my spot.

However, that is still a bit of missing the forest for the trees to me. My argument is that there upcharge items, as fine as they are, are needed because the base fares have dropped so much. My argument is that now they have cut too much out of the basics that really can't be replaced by just spending optioning up your experience. There are features that were unique to cruising that you not only will you not get it for $119 for three nights on Majesty, you will not get it spending 30 times that amount either staying in a Crown Loft Suite on Allure.

I can't say that I WOULDN'T cruise RCI if they didn't have options. But I can say that I have not cruised Carnival in a while because their product had just gone too far down. I'm not able to afford $5K per person vacations. It's going to be years and years before I have the resources and time to do a B2B2B across and around the Pacific Ocean like I have always dreamed of. But I am willing to pay more for RCI than Carnival because the experience is still, to me, much better.

Another poster said I was able to express what they are feeling. Great! Because I have a hard enough time getting my point across for myself. It's a tricky topic. It's like....if RCI said "We'll give you one midnight buffet per cruise, a steel drum band at sailaway, and enough staff in the dining room so you can get out in under 2 hours...your base ticket will go up $40." Deal. You've got it. I don't need to beat your brains out for every penny. I want to see some of the unique aspects of cruising, the service, the lavish food, etc., return. I'm willing to have it included in my fare. I'm still not sure I am being clear enough; this feels muddled.

The other poster made reference to a boiled frog. I call it death by a thousand cuts. You'll never pinpoint the one that put the product over the edge...but coming back from the tipping point is very, very, very difficult. I think RCI is really starting to split hairs and people are feeling a little uncomfortable.

I guess to clarify why I personally don't care about going to specialty restaurants (but am pleased there are choices for those who wish them)....... I'm not a cheerleader for any one cruise line as you can see from my signature (we pick based on destinations then best price & timing for that destination). With RCCL we've sailed Enchantment & Freedom.

That said ,.... our experiences with the MDR have been overall very good.

I normally have a hard time narrowing the choices for apps and salads down to one each. Dessert is a given ... and how often is that NOT good on a ship?? Never :D That leaves entrees which always have something we like savoring the fact that I'm NOT the one shopping, cooking or cleaning up afterwards:D We've never gone away hungry.

But the real draw for us is enjoying getting to know our tablemates - discussing traveling and hearing about their hometowns. They may not even be folks we'd hang out with at home but have been fun to dine with.

We enjoy getting to know the servers who so pleasantly take care of us each evening.

Speed of service is not a factor or us - we plan on dining as part of the evening's entertainment and enjoy chatting if there's a lag between courses. We had so much fun with our tablemates at dinner on our last cruise that we all hated to see it end each night:):)