My view on Specialty restaurants

I have not read the thread in its entirity but the first few pages suggested the direction of cruise line to consumer manipulation of "what is and should be consumed" at least to fill the bottom line.

That is the point though, the bottom line, and thus the opposite of what the OP suggests. Allow me to digress a bit from the subject at hand and to make a comparison to my market which is programming. I have been accused of manipulating but the truth be told my clients want X,Y,Z or I lose out and so I have to meet the demand or not have demand at all.

Without getting too boring, cruise lines are meeting demand, it is us the consumer that create this, not the cruise line down to the consumer. If the demand were not there, the speciality restaurants would fail.

So let me handle the likely rebuttal:

The food in the MDR is now lower (on purpose) and so speciality restaurants are sought out.

well, i have been on carnival many times, the supper club(signature, chef's table) is more like say going to Tony's here in Houston vs say Outback steakhouse. Does my demand for MDR get supplemented to the Supper Club? No.. It's a one time treat usually. But let's take a look at other speciality restaurants, like Guy's Burger joint or Sushi, Ji Ji Asian or BBQ for example... but these are normally their own worlds of food, adding to the variety outside of MDR or the buffet. Can a cruise line be everything to all taste buds for free? That is the question, i would say, very hard to do, especially take with RCI, i love the sushi on Izumi and they specialize in that, should the MDR as well? Should the MDR on RCI specialize in what Sabor does?

If we read the boards here many times posters will say how boring cruise x will be if they keep going to the same ports or do x, y or z... the opinions here should be logic enough to tell you that indeed cruise lines are trying to be all things to as many of us as they can, but it can't be done for free.

That said, another point, I would say the demographics while strong for speciality are not there in sufficient number. On every cruise i have been room service seems to be the largest hit followed by the buffet. I think speciality has a long way to go supplement "free."

Another example, RCI now allows unlimited alcohol for individuals again to meet demand of frustrated consumers complaining about "not everyone in the same stateroom wants it." I have a hard time of seeing consumer manipulation, just the opposite.

You should have read further then because we're long past that discussion. The discussion devolved into name calling, bickering, and just general stupidity by those who think this is a discussion not worth having and that "if you don't like the specialty restaurants, don't go" or "to each his own" or "stop complaining." All of these comments miss the point......which you correctly addressed in your post.

I agree that the consumer creates the demand. I tried hinting at this earlier. Now that you've taken a bite..I'll ask the obvious question: Instead of creating demand for restaurants we must pay for, why don't we create a demand for higher quality food in the MDR that is included in the price?

I took my first cruise in 1998. It was a "great deal" on Grandeur of the Seas. We paid $750 per person for an inside cabin. In today's dollars that would be $1072 for the same cabin. We cruised in Sep. a very low time of the year.

In 1998 oil was $11.91 per barrel. Adjusted to today's dollars it would be $17.02. Actual cost today is about $100 per barrel.

The cruise lines need to be profitable or they go out of business. They come up with lots of ways to do this, drink prices, shore excursions, shops, photos, specialty restaurants. The nice thing about these "extra costs" is that if you don't want to partake, then you don't have to. I know people who go on cruises, buy a soda card, don't drink alcohol, don't do shore excursions, don't buy in the shops, don't do specialty restaurants. Their cruises cost very little. They are effectively the price of tips and a soda card. Not a bad deal. I, on the other hand, do drink, do some shore excursions, do buy in the shops (duty free), and do buy drinks. I still find the cruise to be a much better deal than other vacations.

I would be shocked if cruise lines went to all "pay as you go" dining. It would suddenly make them very unpopular and would likely be their death knell.

Death knell? Don't think so. Cruising is becoming more and more popular. There are more ships out there on the high seas than at any other time. And yet, most people have never cruised in their life. The market is growing and there are plenty of new customers out there.

You should have read further then because we're long past that discussion. The discussion devolved into name calling, bickering, and just general stupidity by those who think this is a discussion not worth having and that "if you don't like the specialty restaurants, don't go" or "to each his own" or "stop complaining." All of these comments miss the point......which you correctly addressed in your post.

I agree that the consumer creates the demand. I tried hinting at this earlier. Now that you've taken a bite..I'll ask the obvious question: Instead of creating demand for restaurants we must pay for, why don't we create a demand for higher quality food in the MDR that is included in the price?

I think we are asking for better in the MDR, I have seen improvement in the MDR at least for Carnival because I can compare over time but with RCI i would say also just from one cruise as with "my time" dining. I saw chef specials on the menu and suggestions and the ability to order "classics."

Speciality restaurants are just that, they are unique in of themselves. I don't think i will ever demand the MDR to specialize in Sushi or Mexican food, but I could for example better steaks or to seat me when I want. I think those are being addressed. However, I would reasonably find it very hard to include a 16oz or 20oz steak every night as part of the "package."

I think the demand is showing more of "when i want to eat vs quality" IE room service and buffet. Where as the other demographic is arguing for variety IE Sushi, italian and mexican food or BBQ.

This leave the MDR in the middle, judging from my cruises both on Carnival and RCI, take the windjammer, they had pretty good food but the longest lines were for cheap meat hamburgers and hotdogs.... oh and pizza, i mean those lines were long. The salad bar eh... so so.

I think you and I can argue for quality but so many others focus on quantity, time and variety.

Death knell? Don't think so. Cruising is becoming more and more popular. There are more ships out there on the high seas than at any other time. And yet, most people have never cruised in their life. The market is growing and there are plenty of new customers out there.

Yes, ships are carrying A LOT of people which means A LOT of different taste buds and likes which then means the cruise lines have to respond to such a larger and more diverse demand.

I really can't take anyone seriously when they say things like "MDR food is a step above Denny's." So when people say things like that their credibility goes out of the window. I'm not sure what kind of banquets you've been going to but I would consider banquet food to be a positive thing. I think the person you replied to ha a different experience and thats why theres a discrepancy there.

Either way, 35$ pp, + 18$ for the aged beef +the price of the meal at the MDR which I won't be eating that night is never ever going to happen in my family. A ruth's chris meal winds up costing less.

I am only saying what many have said to me ( besides my opinion)..I hear things like,"it was OK, nothing great"..or," it was hit and miss.."..."it was decent"..my point is still "the experience" that I mentioned or my 12 points here is why we like to dine in better venues...BTW, I ate at Ruth Chris Sat night to take my wife out for Valentine's Day...the meal with NO appetizers AND no desserts cost me $130 including tip ( $45 filet, $49 NY Strip, $18 for 2 baked potatoes + 18 tip)..AND I did NOT have a table for 2 over-looking the magnificent ocean..your math is off:

1) Much better quality of food

2) Much better selection of entrees

3) MUCH BETTER selection of side dishes

4) Much better selection of appetizers ( have you tried the crab cakes in Chops or the escargots in Le Bistro? Worth the price of dinner alone!!)

5) Yummy desserts ( much better selection)

6) Table for 2- many times at a window over-looking the sea..very romantic!!

7) More intimate atmosphere- dine with 50-100 people instead of 1500-2000 ..BIG DIFFERENCE...I don't always feel like eating with tons of people!!

8) No waiters dancing or criss crossing with trays of food everywhere

9) Soft romantic music ( if any)..you can hold a conversation

10) Perfect places to celebrate a special occasion

11) Compare $15-35 PP with what you would pay at Friday's, Chili's, Outback, LET ALONE Ruth Chris, Morton's, etc. You can't even eat at Denny's for $15 PP!! And you don't have a table for 2 at a window by the water...those meals are EASILY worth $ 50-75 PP in any decent restaurant ( if not more..)..a NY Strip or Filet Mignon ALONE in a high end steak place is $40-55 pp with NO salad, no side dishes, no dessert, and usually no table by the sea- think about it..$15-35 PP is a steal!!

12) Finally, I work hard & my wife works very hard..we are NOT cheap or frugal when we cruise- we are careful at home, and try & save for memorable cruises ....95% of people I have told to try the $$ restaurants agreed it was a great meal and a TON better than the MDR..I even know people who NEVER dine in the MDR because they said "the food is so mediocre there"...BTW, I expect the food in most MDR's to be mediocre or just "OK"...as long as I leave with a full stomach, I 'm OK with that. However, I NEVER expect to leave the MDR saying, "wow, that was amazingly good..can't wait to eat tomorrow"..I am, however, happy to say that 95% of the time I leave the specialty venues, I am 100% satisfied and felt it was well worth the $$..as others have said, you don't have to spend a dime in the better venues, and that's called OPTIONS ( again)..JMHO..

You MUST accept that the ala cart experience is superior otherwise you are labeled a whiner and complainer.

Conversely, you have insinuated that anyone who doesn't profoundly object to this trend is either shortsighted, caving, settling, or having the wool pulled over his or her eyes.

I respect your lamentation about the trend. However, I respectfully DISAGREE with your view that it is something we need to collectively oppose.

The title of this thread is "MY VIEW ON...." Why some people have been belligerent in this thread is just beyond me.

This would carry more credibility if you had not responded to such comments with insults of your own. The argument "he started it" hasn't worked since kindergarten and it doesn't work now. Your hands are just as dirty, so you don't get to walk the high road now.

I am with Big Al. On a 7 day Oasis or Allure we will only eat in MDR once, maybe twice all other in a specialty restaurant. Food, service, atmosphere is so much better than in the MDR. I also have pre-paid tipping and tip extra in the specialty restaurants and it is still worth it!

Thank you for agreeing...I cannot afford eating in $$ every night, but we try and go 1-2x on a 7 night cruise..however, I do recall a friend saying to me, "you eat in the MDR? My G-d, it's so mediocre, so pedestrian...we ate in Chops & Portifinos every night..$20-25 PP is nothing for those meals.."...I should say he is a doctor and makes over $500 G's a year..but my fav story is a friend who went on the Enchantment Of The Seas with his wife & 2 DD's, ages 10 & 8 at the time. I told him to put the girls in the Kid's program and treat themselves to a special night out. Clark is like George on Seinfeld, the kind of guy who is VERY cheap, and will tell you you owe him .$75 for the toll booths ( like George, LOL..) ..I convinced him to take his wife to Chops, despite his whining about blowing $50 ( $25 pp at the time) because "why should I pay for a meal when it's FREE in the MDR?" ..Sounds familiar?? Long story short & fast forward, Clark ate at Chops with his wife & when he came home, he immediately called me and said, " I will NEVER not listen to you again...Chops was wonderful!"...I said, "better than the MDR?".. "a TON better..you'd have to be psycho not think it was better"..."really, psycho, huh, Clark?".."Did you do what I told you to do?" ..."yes, I went to Chops the first day and asked for a table for 2 by the window at sunset, and they reserved a table for us..".."and?" I asked..."it was soooo beautiful..Andrea LOVED it..she had the Salmon and I had the NY strip and we split 3 side dishes like you suggested including the lyonnaise potatoes and creamed asparagus like you recommended...AMAZING!"....and here's the icing on the cake: I asked him, "was it worth 50 bucks?" he smiled and said, " it was worth DOUBLE for sure, if not more just to dine alone in peace & quiet watching the sunset and the waves go by..and the meal was outstanding along with the service and quiet music"...true story...a perfect story to give yourselves a SPECIAL night to dine..you're on vacation- you deserve better, even if it costs you $$..life is too short to miss out on the better things in life..JMHO....

Big Al

We have no problem with that but we always enjoyed meeting new people in the MDR. Now that we'll be doing more specialties, I switched my preference to MTD so we won't leave others sitting alone.

So you do it for others:

It is interesting that you feel you have switched your preference to MTD "so you won't leave others sitting alone". DH and I have rarely found that everyone on a large table, opts for visiting a specialty restaurant on the same night, to leave us dining alone.

So you do it for others:

It is interesting that you feel you have switched your preference to MTD "so you won't leave others sitting alone". DH and I have rarely found that everyone on a large table, opts for visiting a specialty restaurant on the same night, to leave us dining alone.

Your use of commas confuses your comment. Either you've never experienced sitting alone at a large table for a week or you think others left us there intentionally. Not sure which but to be clear, it doesn't make sense to have a reserved table in the MDR if we're not using it. I think the dining staff and other potential tablemates would agree.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There sure are alot of mixed views on this topic....interesting.

In our case, a Specialty restaurant offers and alternative change to the main dining room. To be clear, we generally enjoy and welcome the Main Dining Room experience, and have met many great people on our cruises at that venue.

While we have typically booked 1-2 Specialty restaurant dinners on each cruise, on the last one...we were actually enjoying the company of our fellow table guests in the Main Dining Room so much that we cancelled our 2nd Specialty dinner reservation.

About the only thing we have pretty much exhausted is our desire for the formal nights. One on a cruise seems plenty. We use the other to book a Specialty restaurant reservation - while we dress up slightly - its more casual.

The good news is that there are choices and alternatives, making it possible for just about everyone to enjoy a nice dinner experience, regardless of their preferences.

Your use of commas confuses your comment. Either you've never experienced sitting alone at a large table for a week or you think others left us there intentionally. Not sure which but to be clear, it doesn't make sense to have a reserved table in the MDR if we're not using it. I think the dining staff and other potential tablemates would agree.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I surely don't believe your tablemates 'conspired to leave you there alone intentionally'; actually until you just mentioned it, I had never thought of that.

It was more the unlikely situation that at a large table of 8 (for example) everyone else would choose specialty dining on each night of the cruise. Which has never happened to DH and I. I request to be seated at a table of 6-8 (or even 10) is fine, so there always is company at dinner.

Edited by Paulette3028

In our case, a Specialty restaurant offers and alternative change to the main dining room. To be clear, we generally enjoy and welcome the Main Dining Room experience, and have met many great people on our cruises at that venue.

While we have typically booked 1-2 Specialty restaurant dinners on each cruise, on the last one...we were actually enjoying the company of our fellow table guests in the Main Dining Room so much that we cancelled our 2nd Specialty dinner reservation.

About the only thing we have pretty much exhausted is our desire for the formal nights. One on a cruise seems plenty. We use the other to book a Specialty restaurant reservation - while we dress up slightly - its more casual.

The good news is that there are choices and alternatives, making it possible for just about everyone to enjoy a nice dinner experience, regardless of their preferences.

Yes, I can certainly agree that with you that 1 formal night would be plenty. And even that formal night, is would not be tux and gown for us. It would be dressier but not formal. I think the 'formal' can leave the ship.

Yes, I can certainly agree that with you that 1 formal night would be plenty. And even that formal night, is would not be tux and gown for us. It would be dressier but not formal. I think the 'formal' can leave the ship.

Not to sidetrack the thread, but the concept of a formal night kind of strikes me as odd now. I mean, it's the same place, the same lounges, the same MDR as every other night, but we all get dressed up? Who ever does that at home? I mean, if I'm heading to a local joint where khakis and a collared shirt are standard, they don't ever announce "This Tuesday, everybody needs to get dressed up!".

Just always strikes me as a bit out of place now.

Not to sidetrack the thread, but the concept of a formal night kind of strikes me as odd now. I mean, it's the same place, the same lounges, the same MDR as every other night, but we all get dressed up? Who ever does that at home? I mean, if I'm heading to a local joint where khakis and a collared shirt are standard, they don't ever announce "This Tuesday, everybody needs to get dressed up!".

Lol I agree! My wife likes to dress up that's why I'm forced to go with her. People seem to really enjoy getting dressed up like they're in Hollywood. I prefer shorts and a shirt myself

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

2 hrs is rushed? How long does it take you to eat dinner in a restaurant at home?

We're not just talking about the time that it takes to eat dinner. I'm talking about the way that the servers run around trying to handle the extra tables that they have been given. There is more to it than just the time that it takes to complete a meal.

Edited by cruisingator2

Several weeks ago we went out to dinner with friends to an 'upscale' restaurant. We dressed: 'club casual' -- fancy slacks and silvery top; hubbie had on black slacks with bold print shirt without a tie or jacket. Our friends were similarly dressed. The dress of other diners, was everything from 'beach wear' (we do live in Florida) to suit and tie and dressy dresses.

It wasn't announced as 'formal night' at the restaurant, but you surely saw a large range in clothing.

We're not just talking about the time that it takes to eat dinner. I'm talking about the way that the servers run around trying to handle the extra tables that they have been given. There is more to it than just eating dinner. :rolleyes:

My personal dining time, hasn't seemed to be affected by the additional tables that the wait staff have been given. Probably because more cruisers are exploring the specialty restaurants. It could also be because we are fairly quick in deciding what we want to eat. We even tell the wait staff on the first night, some things that we KNOW we will want each night. They appreciate it, in advance and so do we.

My personal dining time, hasn't seemed to be affected by the additional tables that the wait staff have been given. Probably because more cruisers are exploring the specialty restaurants. It could also be because we are fairly quick in deciding what we want to eat. We even tell the wait staff on the first night, some things that we KNOW we will want each night. They appreciate it, in advance and so do we.

That's good for you but we are not you. We have had different experiences in the MDR which no longer makes them attractive to us. Just as I stated on my first response to this thread. Different strokes.

There is no wrong answer to this whole issue. If one likes the MDR than by all means go. If one chooses other options then that is their business. Simple as that.

Lol I agree! My wife likes to dress up that's why I'm forced to go with her. People seem to really enjoy getting dressed up like they're in Hollywood. I prefer shorts and a shirt myself

I actually do enjoy getting dressed up and heading out from time to time. But when I do, I don't go to Chili's or The Outback!:D

This would carry more credibility if you had not responded to such comments with insults of your own. The argument "he started it" hasn't worked since kindergarten and it doesn't work now. Your hands are just as dirty, so you don't get to walk the high road now.

This is a thread I started and the original post is my opinion...I'm sorry but I really don't need you to verify my "credibility" whatever that means when we're talking about opinions. Although you have been pretty much belligerently stating this entire thread that yours is the only opinion that counts. There is no he or she did it first...there is my original post and then there were multiple comments about what a whiner I am. End of story.

No basher here either. The food is very good but I agree, the room is so much louder now and the service not as good. The staff just seems to rush around and it's hard to get their attention. On our last two cruises the two of us ended up alone at tables for six. Granted, others may not have had the same experience or couldn't careless about the things I've mentioned but it formed our personal preference.
We primarily cruise Princess and Holland America. I noticed on our last two cruises that too many people are signing up for traditional dining without the intention of doing it right. I understand that people may want to try the specialty restaurants once or twice on a cruise. We had people assigned to our table who showed up half the time. If you're planning to do that, have the courtesy of going with anytime dining and not traditional. Also have the courtesy to let your tablemates and waiters know ahead of time that you will not be there because you have reservations for the specialty restaurant.

We primarily cruise Princess and Holland America. I noticed on our last two cruises that too many people are signing up for traditional dining without the intention of doing it right. I understand that people may want to try the specialty restaurants once or twice on a cruise. We had people assigned to our table who showed up half the time. If you're planning to do that, have the courtesy of going with anytime dining and not traditional. Also have the courtesy to let your tablemates and waiters know ahead of time that you will not be there because you have reservations for the specialty restaurant.

"Doing it right"??? Some people like to go to specialty restaurants some nights and the MDR traditional seating on other nights. Why should they have to do my time dining because you don't like empty chairs some nights? There is no "right" way to dining.

"Doing it right"??? Some people like to go to specialty restaurants some nights and the MDR traditional seating on other nights. Why should they have to do my time dining because you don't like empty chairs some nights? There is no "right" way to dining.

I'll vote for this answer. Although I think it would be kind and courteous to advise the waitstaff and tablemates that you may not be there, this is a vacation after all, and plans do change sometimes. Truthfully, if I were at a large table and several people had not shown up, I would assume they were not coming and would proceed. Part of the traditional dining program is based on punctuality. The system doesn't work too well when waitstaff have to keep going back to take orders from late arrivals. I would not expect my tablemates to put their dinner on hold because I'm late.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app