upgrades for first timers!

We will be cruising with RCCL for the first time. Will we be considered for upgrades possibly or does that mainly happen for people who have cruised before? I read a post about unchecking the automatic upgrade button in your c&a account or keeping it checked if you wanted an upgrade. I didn't know if we would have that option it not. Thanks!

We will be cruising with RCCL for the first time. Will we be considered for upgrades possibly or does that mainly happen for people who have cruised before? I read a post about unchecking the automatic upgrade button in your c&a account or keeping it checked if you wanted an upgrade. I didn't know if we would have that option it not. Thanks!

I assume you mean free upgrades. It can happen to anybody anytime but the odds are extremely low. I would just plan on enjoying your first RCI cruise and if it happens then it will be a great surprise.

Regarding the automatic upgrades through C & A, you have to first be a member with cruise points associated with your account before a C & A upgrade could be considered - and that won't occur until you are enrolled and have completed your first RCI cruise. (And when those upgrades occur they typically work top down from the highest member tier down, so as a new member the odds would be very low as well for that type of upgrade).

Enjoy your first RCI cruise!

Edited by leaveitallbehind

The odds of that happening are very slim to none.... Mostly none.... :)

I have cruised with RCCL many, many times (18+). I have received 2 upgrades and both times I had over 200 points when it happened..... I do hope you get it, but it is very rare, especially on some of your first cruises. There are hundreds of frequent cruisers on each ship with hundreds and hundreds of points. Some with over a thousand points. They should receive the upgrades....... Enjoy your cruise and I bet in a few years you will become addicted to cruising and have a few hundred points too and will be enjoying those upgrades!

I've only had 2 complimentary upgrades. One was on a cruise where they didn't even have my C&A number attached to my account, so they thought I was a newbie. The other one was on a repo that had so many empty cabins we sailed with more crew than passengers. Most ships are heavily marketed to fill them up now, so upgrades are rare.

It can happen at any time. With that said on our first cruise we were upgraded from an E2 balcony to a JS. We did not know about the upgrade until we got to the transfers bus at the airport. We were very surprised and did not complain one bit!

The odds of that happening are very slim to none.... Mostly none.... :)

Strangely enough, first time cruisers seem to get more upgrades (rare as they are) than D+. RCCL is trying to win their loyalty while it knows it can count on seasoned cruisers.

What is life without dreams! :)

I guess I will have to go ahead and book a GS then! :D

You really should. Our first cruise ever was on the Voyager of the Seas and we had a Grand Suite. We originally booked a balcony and by keeping an eagle eye out for price drops and participating in our very helpful Roll Call, we upgraded and upgraded til we ended up with a GS for not very much more money than our original balcony. For some reason our cruise wasn't selling well and by being proactive, we did very well for ourselves! We caught a lucky first break. :p

Strangely enough, first time cruisers seem to get more upgrades (rare as they are) than D+. RCCL is trying to win their loyalty while it knows it can count on seasoned cruisers.

I tend to agree with this. The only upgrade we've ever gotten (on another line) was the first time we sailed on them. Went from an ocean view to a balcony.

I tend to agree with this. The only upgrade we've ever gotten (on another line) was the first time we sailed on them. Went from an ocean view to a balcony.

I often figured that's why I got that OV to balcony upgrade, when they didn't know I was C&A. Whatever the reason, it worked in their favor. I haven't sailed in anything less than a balcony ever since!

My friends booked a balcony for their honeymoon as their first cruise. A few months prior they were upgraded free of charge to a Junior Suite on deck 10.

That did exactly what it was designed to do. Got them hooked on J/S. They have sailed 2 more times both in a J/S and they are going again in June on an Alaska cruise in another J/S.

Had they cruised in the original balcony they probably would still be sailing in a regular balcony cabin.

We've been on 10 cruises and never been offered a free or paid upgrade. But I'm ok with that. We book as soon as the itinerary comes out and usually get the corner afts that we love!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

We've got upgraded yesterday from an OV to a Balcony D1 for our cruise in 2 weeks. Last year on the Navigator we've got with our group an upgrade for our 3 balcony cabins 6 weeks before our cruise. 2 balconys to junior suites and 1 to a Grand suite and a very large amount of OBC. This was because of a price drop, after final payment! And in the high season. 2 years ago we also got an upgrade from a family oceanview to a D2 Balcony. So 3 years in a row:D:D We're Diamond since last summer.

We are D+ on RCCL and the only time we have ever gotten a free upgrade was on our very first RCCL cruise. We were upgraded from a JS to a GS. So, yes it can happen.