Should I or shouldn't i?

ish drakes

"access areas????" Not sure what you mean?

In doing my research, it was said that the smaller ships are able to get into spaces that the larger ships can't. I can't remember any specific names though.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

In doing my research, it was said that the smaller ships are able to get into spaces that the larger ships can't. I can't remember any specific names though.

"smaller" meaning- those 100 passenger or less ships. Not the megalines of the main stream cruise lines.

You'd need to go with small ship lines like Lindblad/National Geographic, UnCruise, or Alaska Dream Cruises to get into those areas. The major lines all pretty much follow the same routes and focus primarily on activities and excursions in the ports.

Edited by Chenega

You'd need to go with small ship lines like Lindblad/National Geographic, UnCruise, or Alaska Dream Cruises to get into those areas. The major lines all pretty much follow the same routes and focus primarily on activities and excursions in the ports.

Thanks. I misunderstood what was meant by small ships :)

In July, it is highly doubtful, you are going to have "lots of opportunity for wildlife" Most people will see none. Overall this is a 5 hour investment of time, so either cruise would work out well.

With anyone driving, I find it "necessary" to take along a copy of Murray's Guide. Set your trip mileage upon leaving Skagway, so to know what area you are in. As few people can see the mileposts.

Not meaning to sound rude but I did not say "lots of opportunity", I actually said "lots of possibilities", and make that statement after a lot of research on these boards. I believe your word change on my quote changes the concept completely. Just sayin'! I was only offering my suggestions, which I thought that was what the OP wanted to hear. We are renting with Green Jeeps, which also provide you with a detailed map and an audio tape for things not to miss during the drive to Emerald Lake. I am sure the OP will be happy with either cruise ship! My advice to the OP is to listen to all of the other advice and then do what works best for you!;) Happy cruising!:cool:

I'm an Alaska virgin - but if I were making your decision - I'd pick Carnival.... the savings is substantial, and the familiarity factor, AND the extra port.

The "rough" seas aren't guaranteed, they are just more likely. If your excursions are set and you don't mind spending the extra money - upgrade to a better room.

Personally I love the smaller ships and think they give a better experience in Alaska. There is a big difference in being closer to water level when viewing glaciers etc as it gives a different perspective. The small ships are easy to get around on and to quickly move to different vantage points. (or get back to your cabin to warm up etc)

There will be very little nightlife as options are very limited and most people come for the scenery not the shows. You will really only have one show a night and the nightclub will be deserted.

That said I think Carnival might be a better fit for you with more entertainment options, a lower cost and an extra stop in Sitka. (and I'm a big Princess fan) For me the choice would always be the smaller ship.

You didn't ask but IMHO Sept is the worst month to cruise Alaska. Biggest negative for me is the shorter daylight hours, by the time you sail away from every port it will be dark and you won't see any of the scenery. Also any sailing after about the second week the chance of bad weather goes up dramatically. My choice would always be the first 3 weeks in June, with the last two of May a second choice.

Personally I love the smaller ships and think they give a better experience in Alaska. There is a big difference in being closer to water level when viewing glaciers etc as it gives a different perspective. The small ships are easy to get around on and to quickly move to different vantage points. (or get back to your cabin to warm up etc)

There will be very little nightlife as options are very limited and most people come for the scenery not the shows. You will really only have one show a night and the nightclub will be deserted.

That said I think Carnival might be a better fit for you with more entertainment options, a lower cost and an extra stop in Sitka. (and I'm a big Princess fan) For me the choice would always be the smaller ship.

You didn't ask but IMHO Sept is the worst month to cruise Alaska. Biggest negative for me is the shorter daylight hours, by the time you sail away from every port it will be dark and you won't see any of the scenery. Also any sailing after about the second week the chance of bad weather goes up dramatically. My choice would always be the first 3 weeks in June, with the last two of May a second choice.

Thanks for that observation.

I had actually planned to go in September to increase the possibility of me seeing snow, although I am not sure that is even an option anymore. However, at this stage changing to a different date isn't really in the question as we are coming from Barbados and plans would have to made re: flights, etc. Also, if we were to change, the option for Carnival would be moot as it only sails to Glacier Bay on the 1st and last sailing of the season.

So I am just hoping for the best weather wise and maybe just maybe I'll get to see some sort of snow.

I'm an Alaska virgin - but if I were making your decision - I'd pick Carnival.... the savings is substantial, and the familiarity factor, AND the extra port.

The "rough" seas aren't guaranteed, they are just more likely. If your excursions are set and you don't mind spending the extra money - upgrade to a better room.

Thanks for the advice.

The comparison to price was on balcony rooms for both cruise lines...I think if I was to upgrade to a suite on Carnival it would put me back in the same ball park as Princess (or higher).

I am just not sure I want to risk the rough seas. I have always been prone to sea sickness and stayed away from cruising for that reason. I tried it back in 2009 and had a wonderful cruise, without any issues, however the cruise in 2011 was really bad the days I did experience sea sickness and I would prefer to avoid if at all possible (although Budget Queen has advised that "rough" seas are possible in the Inside Passage as well). I was doing some research on when to cruise to Alaska and it was also mentioned that the probability for rough seas increases in September...

Thanks for that observation.

I had actually planned to go in September to increase the possibility of me seeing snow, although I am not sure that is even an option anymore. However, at this stage changing to a different date isn't really in the question as we are coming from Barbados and plans would have to made re: flights, etc. Also, if we were to change, the option for Carnival would be moot as it only sails to Glacier Bay on the 1st and last sailing of the season.

So I am just hoping for the best weather wise and maybe just maybe I'll get to see some sort of snow.

There is plenty of snow to be seen May/early June.

Not meaning to sound rude but I did not say "lots of opportunity", I actually said "lots of possibilities", and make that statement after a lot of research on these boards. I believe your word change on my quote changes the concept completely. Just sayin'! I was only offering my suggestions, which I thought that was what the OP wanted to hear. We are renting with Green Jeeps, which also provide you with a detailed map and an audio tape for things not to miss during the drive to Emerald Lake. I am sure the OP will be happy with either cruise ship! My advice to the OP is to listen to all of the other advice and then do what works best for you!;) Happy cruising!:cool:

Then not sure what your reference is? This is NOT a wildlife rich area in July. The norm is no wildlife. You claim "possibilities"? this could be inferred differently, depending on interpretation and meaning, you will see some? It doesn't sound like you have been there?

Then not sure what your reference is? This is NOT a wildlife rich area in July. The norm is no wildlife. You claim "possibilities"? this could be inferred differently, depending on interpretation and meaning, you will see some? It doesn't sound like you have been there?

I did not mean to be rude or offensive to you. I was just offering an opinion based on what others have said through my extensive research. Others that have rented the Green Jeeps in Skagway have said they saw lots of wildlife, even bears:eek:, on the side of the road during their drive through the Yukon to Emerald Lake. You are correct; I have not been there and am greatly looking forward to our first visit and to that drive!:cool: Again, so sorry if I offended you. I will refrain from commenting further until I have visited and gain better knowledge of Alaska.:rolleyes:

Yes, we wanted to experience a new cruise line that is why we ended up booking with Princess. We are just wondering if now is the time to do that given the savings on Carnival. I think the penalty could be nothing or $100. I am concerned now though, since a previous poster said the Carnival itinerary is more likely to encounter 'rough' waters. Would like to avoid that all costs.

Take the Princess Vancouver if you want to avoid the 'rough' waters, as that departure travels between Vancouver Island and the main land. The Seattle departures go up Vancouver Island on the west side in the open pacific. FWIW the first Alaska trip I took was a YVR-SEA and on the last sea day we hit BIG waves and wind. The trip was the first one of the season, in early May. We hit 25+ ft waves with force 10 winds. that was a fun ride to say the least.

Didn't deter us though, we're going again in September from SEA to YVR this time. :cool:

Take the Princess Vancouver if you want to avoid the 'rough' waters, as that departure travels between Vancouver Island and the main land. The Seattle departures go up Vancouver Island on the west side in the open pacific. FWIW the first Alaska trip I took was a YVR-SEA and on the last sea day we hit BIG waves and wind. The trip was the first one of the season, in early May. We hit 25+ ft waves with force 10 winds. that was a fun ride to say the least.

Didn't deter us though, we're going again in September from SEA to YVR this time. :cool:

Thanks. I am leaning that way, I think.

Here is the difference as I see it. The Carnival cruise is going to go to the west of Vancouver island out in the open Pacific and has a possibility of being very rough, as you head north. The Princess cruise is going to stay in the inside passage making for a much smoother, and more scenic sail.

I didn't think carnival sailed glacier bay. Has that changed?

Many consider the Spirit class ships to be Carnival's best offering. When we were on the Legend and Costa Atlantica for that matter, both compared very favorable with our Princess and Celebrity experiences. If you were able to score a suite or aft balcony for the same price as the Pacific Princess balcony, I would definitely lean towards the Carnival cruise.

Many consider the Spirit class ships to be Carnival's best offering. When we were on the Legend and Costa Atlantica for that matter, both compared very favorable with our Princess and Celebrity experiences. If you were able to score a suite or aft balcony for the same price as the Pacific Princess balcony, I would definitely lean towards the Carnival cruise.

Thank you.

We would go with Carnival; same experience and $1000 less. We used that same logic last year on a Baltic cruise and had a great cruise on Carnival. Alaskan and European cruises are all about the ports.

Thanks. I am just really concerned about the possibility of rough seas.

Thanks. I am just really concerned about the possibility of rough seas.

I've been giving your dilemma a lot of thought (knowing how I arrived at MY decision about which cruise, which turned out to be neither of these ;) )

You may get rough seas on either itinerary. You should be prepared in advance -- discuss it with your health care provider.

So here's a question to you -- why did you originally choose the Princess ship, and has anything changed since you booked it? It appealed when you booked, it was the one you wanted. Then what happened? Is whatever happened a compelling reason for 2nd guessing yourself?

My fear is that you are heading towards paralysis by analysis.

I've been giving your dilemma a lot of thought (knowing how I arrived at MY decision about which cruise, which turned out to be neither of these ;) )

You may get rough seas on either itinerary. You should be prepared in advance -- discuss it with your health care provider.

So here's a question to you -- why did you originally choose the Princess ship, and has anything changed since you booked it? It appealed when you booked, it was the one you wanted. Then what happened? Is whatever happened a compelling reason for 2nd guessing yourself?

My fear is that you are heading towards paralysis by analysis.

I like that "paralysis by analysis".

I originally booked Princess because when we decided to do Alaska we wanted to do it on another cruise line given we had done our only 2 cruises on Carnival. I researched it and it was generally said that Princess cruise line does Alaska best.

The only thing that is making me question that choice is the price. I hadn't even put Carnival in my original research because we wanted something different and we heard Glacier Bay was a must and was under the impression Carnival didn't sail there (come to find out they do on their 1st and last sailings of the season).

So if I take your questions to heart, I should stick with my first choice as there was a reason I choose Princess in the first place.

Thanks

SITKA is magnificent! Its history is amazing..........those Russians!:) It's my favorite Alaska City (Skagway USED to be).

We spent over two months one summer in Alaksa in our motorhome...........went "up" via the Marine System so we could see places one can't drive into and it was fun, too.

I go almost every year and it's been "harder" to find a cruise to Sitka, but this year we WILL visit there.

One thing to consider (I don't know where you live) is the cost of air travel into and out of Canada.

Decisions! Decisions! I love it when ALL of my choices have been made and I can then just think about my upcoming adventure.

ENJOY!:o

This is slightly off topic but I thought I'd mention it as you are very concerned about rough seas....

The best cabins on a ship, if you are prone to seasickness (as my husband is) is to be in an inside cabin, midship and on a low deck. That way the point of movement is lessened and a much more comfortable ride.

And an old 'yachties' remedy is to put cotton wool in your left ear - it stabilizes the conflict between your eyes and ears - kind of like just listening to mono instead of stereo - eases the input on your senses and your balance mechanisms.

Whatever cruise you choose - ENJOY!! :D

Re: the age question. My husband and I are 28 with no kids and will be cruising Alaska this September with Princess (on the Golden). I'm sure we will be in the minority as far as age group, but it doesn't bother us. We still enjoy some fun late nights on occasion but when we booked an Alaskan cruise nightlife wasn't what we were looking forward to. As others have pointed out (and I'm glad to see since it is what I had assumed) an Alaskan cruise is about the scenery and the adventure. I wouldn't let your age stop you from going on whatever type of vacation you'd like to go on :)